Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which platform should I get dragon age for?

ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

Ok so I was checking out the CE pre-orde of the PC and noticed the recommend specs. Now I greatly clear the min specs but the recommend ones have me worried some.

RECOMMENDED SPECS

Hard Drive Space : 20 GB HD space

Operating System : XP SP3 (Windows Vista with SP)

Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Processor or equivalent AMD Phenom II X3 Triple-Core 2.8 GHz or greater

RAM : 4 GB (Vista) or 2 GB (XP)

Video Card : ATI 3850 512 MB or greater NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater

Now I have a AMD x 2 2.4ghz, 3gb ram,  9500GT 512mb and am running vista. I have not run games before on my PC that had any specs higher then mine. Should I not expect to play on high graphics settings? Would I be better off getting the console version? I know no one has played and can say for sure Im just looking at past experiences on games.

Please leave the whole pc vs console thing out of this thread. I have no intentions of any upgrades soon and don't bother with mods outside of WC3 so I have basicly thrown out anything the PC has over my 360 so it just comes down to which will run the smoothest at highest settings.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.
And then Nebraska would get nerfed.-pinkwood lotro fourms

AMD 4800 2.4ghz-3GB RAM 533mhz-EVGA 9500GT 512mb-320gb HD

Comments

• bigtime102bigtime102 Member UncommonPosts: 177

You should stick with the console, the PC version is too good for you.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

The thing is, the two versions may not be comparable graphically. For example, certain effects that can be done on a PC will be unavailable in consoles. Also consoles have a "roof" on how high you can go graphically. With PCs that roof is not that firmly defined. Then there is the matter of DX9 or DX10. 

The more versatile platform will always be the PC. However the experience between the two might be similar depending on your PC specs. For example, both consoles and PC can do -high settings- but PC could potentially do -very high settigns-. Then again, the developers may artificially limit the PC to what the console is capable of delivering.

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

Depends on one thing and one thing only.

If the game supports player created content (Player Mods). Then the PC would be the obvious choice.

It would be like owning Oblivion on only 360, you miss out on so much without the mods.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202
    Originally posted by JGMIII

If the game supports player created content (Player Mods). Then the PC would be the obvious choice.
    It would be like owning Oblivion on only 360, you miss out on so much without the mods.

I know but I never mess with the mods. I had Oblivion on the 360 and was happy with it.

Hold on Snow Leopard, imma let you finish, but Windows had one of the best operating systems of all time.

If the Powerball lottery was like Lotro, nobody would win for 2 years, and then everyone in Nebraska would win on the same day.

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Arndur

Originally posted by JGMIII

I know but I never mess with the mods. I had Oblivion on the 360 and was happy with it.

Most people say the Mods improved the game alot adding challenging mobs, loot and more tweaks. Yeah Oblivion on the 360 is still fun but the PC version will be expanded for a very long time.

I own both since I enjoy sitting in my living room while playing SP games.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

If your PC can handle it, I would go with the PC.  If you really want to use a controller buy the 360 controller for the PC (or maybe the ones from the console also work with PC.  not sure).

• jaxsjesterjaxsjester Member Posts: 5

I would do neither and forget about the game all together, lol.  I saw the demonstration at E3 and was slightly dissapointed. Hopefully something will change. But maybe I will be impressed, it's just my opinion though

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

PC because of mods, Dragon Age will have toolset wich allows full modding of the game, and mods give you lot more to do once you've finished the story.

But if you really don't like mods, then choose either based on wich version is cheaper (PC) or based on wich gaming machine/controller type you prefer. Your computer seems to be good enough, that XBOX 360 might ba able to do a bit better graphic but not much better. The diffirence is so small you should care of other things first.

• NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

Get console, You dont have the RAM to play it for PC.  If oyu have 3 gigs in your comp, you have about 2.3 that can be used.

I have 4 gigs, and it only says I have 3.3 available for use, so yeah.

(I use vista, but I want windows 7)

-------------------------

• MazinMazin Member Posts: 640
    Originally posted by NagelFire

Get console, You dont have the RAM to play it for PC.  If oyu have 3 gigs in your comp, you have about 2.3 that can be used.

That's because your using a Vista 32 if you were using Vista 64 your 4 gigs would be recognized.

• NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409
    Originally posted by Mazin

That's because your using a Vista 32 if you were using Vista 64 your 4 gigs would be recognized.

Its too bad 90% of the games I play / want to play would then stop working.

-------------------------

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Only game I've ever had issues with on 64 bit was AC. What are you playing that you say won't work?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• ArndurArndur Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,202

If I did get a extra gig of ram(which is cheap) would it be ok?

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    Originally posted by skeaser

Only game I've ever had issues with on 64 bit was AC. What are you playing that you say won't work?

I have never had any problems with any games on Vista 64

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by Theutus

Originally posted by skeaser

I have never had any problems with any games on Vista 64

yeah same here, except for the really old games like D2, but even that works (with some tweaking). The 64 bit arguement might have been true the XP but not with vista or windows 7.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Arndur

If I did get a extra gig of ram(which is cheap) would it be ok?

Arndur

Just wait

1-Mass Effect had a very bugged release on PC. Some people may sai it worked fine for them (for me too, but most people had audio and performance issues).

2-We don't know yet wich version will be really polished. Probably the 360 or PS3 versions. Consoles are more lucrative for most game producers.

3-You don't care about mods...

edit-4- Some games work fine with PCs below the recommended system some work well only with PCs with double the horsepower of the recommended system.

Well, I think you should wait and check all the 3 versions then make a decision.

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

The specs suck.  WTF.  Quad core as a minimum now?  This is like GTA 4 which was just a bad 360 port.   And they said they were making Dragon age for the PC, BS.  Well this is off my list now.

Oh, I thought those were min specs, never mind.