Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Process of reviewing games.

mThree3mThree3 Member Posts: 60

Okay let me start off by saying FLAME AWAY! This is more of a venting thread then really constructive I just want to hear opinions.

Basically it's about the public judging MMO's when they have only played ONE. 99.5% of the time that ONE is WoW. So they come to this instantanious conclusion that WoW started anything and everything that is MMORPGs. Let's set the record straight there were PLENTY of MMOs before WoW. Some you have never even heard of. Lets take the really hyped up game Aion for instance. Yes you target someone the same as WoW. You attack the same as WoW. But guess what WoW got those ideas from other games. Guess where the Battleground idea came from? MYTHIC!

I am going to stop flaming before I go overboard my basic thought is. Don't review a game and compare it to ANY game. They are all each individual games and should be treated as such. It's almost like judging a person towards a friend of yours. There may be similarities there may differences.

If anyone has anything they'd like to disagree on or add GO GO GO!

Comments

• veritas_Xveritas_X Member Posts: 393

While I see what you're getting at, it is really impossible to review a game with a totally fresh and unbiased set of eyes, unless you have never played another game before.

Also, comparisons to what has come before can serve as useful benchmarks. 

I've never read a professional critic's review that didn't reference some kind of past experience, that's just the way reviews work.  And the amateur reviews that clog this forum are even more likely to reference other games, because most of the people writing them have very definite agendas.

• mThree3mThree3 Member Posts: 60

Well I didn't exactly mean you can't refer but I am tired of hearing multiple reviews saying "Oh they stole this, oh this is EXACTLY THE SAME" in a manner of explaining but in tone expressing they felt it was STOLEN.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by mThree3

Okay let me start off by saying FLAME AWAY! This is more of a venting thread then really constructive I just want to hear opinions.

Basically it's about the public judging MMO's when they have only played ONE. 99.5% of the time that ONE is WoW. So they come to this instantanious conclusion that WoW started anything and everything that is MMORPGs. Let's set the record straight there were PLENTY of MMOs before WoW. Some you have never even heard of. Lets take the really hyped up game Aion for instance. Yes you target someone the same as WoW. You attack the same as WoW. But guess what WoW got those ideas from other games. Guess where the Battleground idea came from? MYTHIC!
    I am going to stop flaming before I go overboard my basic thought is. Don't review a game and compare it to ANY game. They are all each individual games and should be treated as such. It's almost like judging a person towards a friend of yours. There may be similarities there may differences.
    If anyone has anything they'd like to disagree on or add GO GO GO!

I played UO from 97 to 98 off and on for about a year.

EQ from beta in 98 to about 2004 off and on.

DOAC for a very short time in beta and after it launched.

AO off and on a year after launch and after it became limited FTP.

WoW off and on from launch till this year.

EQ2 and AOC about equal play time, very little over all.

And you know what?  I think WoW is the best MMO out of all of them.  UO was very innovative while EQ had a high immersion factor because of the 3D graphics(this wore off pretty fast) and good group dynamics.  The piss poor gameplay when you weren't in a group really held EQ down.

WoW trounced any MMO I had ever played and the attention to detail in such a massive world is still a milestone in gaming.  Everything in the game had some purpose or quest attached to it.  If you swam out from shore you'd often find a reef with shipwrecks in the water.  In EQ you'd find a flat sand texture stretching all the way to the zone line.

Now when you play a MMO instead of grinding rats you bump into quest after quest.  It wasn't like that before WoW.  Before WoW in all MMOs you had to find a group to do any leveling or play one of the tiny handfull of classes capable of soloing.  The whole concept of forced downtime to regenerate life and mana went out the window with WoW. 

So as a person that experienced the evolution of MMOs I'm going to compare any other MMO I play to WoW because I can see the influence it's had on MMO gaming.  It even influenced alot of MMOs that were released years beforehand.

My youtube MMO gaming channel