Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The List: Top 10 Games of 2012

Comments

• Draco91Draco91 Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by Nicoo

Star Trek wont be there. Neither will APB. Darkfall will be there. And I cant get how the fuck can you forgett DIABLO 3? :S

Its gonna be the tip one. No doubt about it.

None of the previous Diablos has been an MMORPG, what sign is there that D3 will be?

I agree. Screenshots from the official website would suggest that it will be the same single / [not massively] multiplayer rpg that its predecessors were. I can't imagine that kind of overhead, multi-mob hack'n'slash combat working too well in an MMO.

All in all, except for maybe Startrek, I agree completely with this list... Aion or one of the supers might end up a bit higher on the list, but not too much.

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[2]" (Wikipedia.org, 8-24-09)

The best way to deal with trolls:
    http://www.angelfire.com/space/usenet/ [IGNORE THEM, THEY JUST WANT ATTENTION!]

• LeucrottaLeucrotta Member Posts: 679
    Originally posted by Martie

Originally posted by Supercoolguy

Not only is their no blade and soul on this list or diablo 3.

What about Global Agenda? Just some food for though but the writer doesnt know anything about knew games coming out obviously.

Shut it u twat, S&B is not an mmo its a single player RPG and Diablo 3 is an RPG slash and hack game.  They are not even MMOS u retard, or hadnt u noticed that, the list is the top 10 MMO games he thinks will be for 2012,  not singple player games wiht multiplayer options.

blade and soul is an Asian martial-arts massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) in development by Korean game developer NCsoft.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by Wieland

Originally posted by Dana
    I cannot agree with you more on survival horror, but the trick to a three year list is you really can only consider games we already know to exist. With the exception of Blizzard, ZeniMax and 38 Studios, there likely isn't a AAA unannounced game out there that we can honestly expect to have any chance of coming out by 2012.
    That likely means no survival horror.
    That said, I would love one too. I feel a "why not" coming on ;)

Actually there is not only WoD, there is also The Secret World from Funcom and when you look at  Cryptics in Development page they have pics of some sort of Treasurehunter game with not so friendly enemys that belong to the horror genre.

Don't you actually play the monsters in WoD? Not what I'm thinking of re: survival horror. Killing vampires and werewolves? Yes.

The Secret World looks somewhat promising, but I haven't read much about it.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Wow won't be #1..... Top 3, probably, but not 1.

Firstly, because SWTOR will be a very, very heavy contender for wow in the next 2 years, and might replace it. WoW has started circling the drain this year, with subscriber growth having become stagnant (even shrinking somewhat, if i understood right), problems in China with WotLK, and the customer service management having taken a turn for the worse (yes, management - GM's aren't allowed to do anything by Blizzard, they are actually very nice people). With TOR being new and freshly managed, it has a much better chance of stealing and retaining players disgruntled, annoyed or bored with WoW.

Secondly, Blizzard is making less and less effort in making new expansions. By 2012, the level cap will be a staggering 100 or even 110. That alone will put off "casual players" looking for a new game, so Blizzard will depend on the older players on keeping the game afloat. However, the expansion content has become easier and easier instead making for a very boring experience. The devs have dug a grave for themselves on this one by tuning their game design for players who will no longer be interested in buying the game after next year.

Thirdly, and i can really keep it short, Blizzard is making a new mmo. Nuff said.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• NicooNicoo Member UncommonPosts: 236

People saying Diablo 3 isnt an mmorpg... Are you retarded?

What makes D3 not a mmorpg? The graphics? lol, retarded.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Just to be clear, since it keeps coming up. Diablo 3 wasn't considered for this list. As it stands now, we don't qualify it as an MMO. We could be wrong, and maybe that will change, but as of this moment, it's not the way it sounds, nor how Blizzard positions it. I'd be first in line if they make it more MMO-like, but if it's anything like D2 in terms of online play, adding it to the list opens the door to every lobby based online game on the planet.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

What makes D3 an MMORPG? Do you even know what an MMORPG is? Let's see if you can define it.

D3 is a single player rgp with an options to play online with some people just like D2

so nope not massive

• WielandWieland Member Posts: 27

MMORPG = Massively Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Game

A Chatroom(Battlenet) doesnt qualify as Massively.

• ElmnisterElmnister Member Posts: 17

Jon breaks out his crystal ball and peers three years down the road. Which 10 games will dominate the market then?
    Jon Wood
    This week, I dug deep into the old closet to pull out my trusty crystal ball. Gazing deep into its smoky depths, I asked a simple question: What MMOs will round out the Top 10 three years from now? Being a cantankerous old coot of a crystal ball, it told me that I needed to be more specific. Was it to base the list on subscriber numbers? Overall profitability? Random lottery? In the end we decided to look for a Top 10 list that took many factors into account, with subscribers, profitability, critical acclaim and fan support topping the list.
    When I was putting this list together, there were a number of games that cropped up as possibilities that, for whatever reasons, I decided not to include in my top ten. The next Blizzard MMO, for example is left off because there’s a good chance it won’t yet have launched. It’s tough enough to define the Top 10 Games of 2009, let alone three years from now. Many quality titles didn’t make the list, but were kept firmly in mind. They include: The Secret World, The Agency, Copernicus, Lord of the Rings Online, Global Agenda and Fallen Earth.

Read more here.

I agree almost all the way with it on this but i have one objection, I think that Fallen Earth should be replaced with GW2

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Personally I see SWTOR at #2 and Guildwars2 at #3, then FF XIV at 4, Aion at 5, Marvel Universe online at #6 (if it's out by then, if not then it'll be DCUO), then Cryptic's Neverwinter Nights MMO at #7, STO at 8, APB at #9, and EVE at 10. Unless Blizzard pulls some sort of NGE I can't see anyone knocking WoW out of first either.

Fantasy games will continue to be the dominate MMOs. So many space games coming out are going to divide up that market and I see TOR being much more fun than STO and capturing most of the subs with EVE still hanging in there with its devoted fan base.

I don't feel that CCP can pull off a good Horror MMO, World of Darkness, and I see it tanking pretty bad.

• mercesamercesa Member Posts: 23

Finnaly thank god someone mentions guildwars 2 it's a miracle it deserves it's 2#  i love guildwars 1 and will enjoy guildwars 2.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Someone please explain the logic behind putting Eve Online and Word of Warcraft on this list other than the fact of them having a love fetish for these games ? They are old, they are way past their prime and CCP and Blizzard will have already announced their new games by 2012. Infact we maybe playing those games by then. Other than this then I thought it was a pretty decent list.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

In three years wow still no 1? I need a new hobby *g*

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Someone please explain the logic behind putting Eve Online and Word of Warcraft on this list other than the fact of them having a love fetish for these games ? They are old, they are way past their prime and CCP and Blizzard will have already announced their new games by 2012. Infact we maybe playing those games by then. Other than this then I thought it was a pretty decent list.

I suppose you could question EVE, but really, those who play it truly enjoy it because there's nothing else out there like it. Most people see it as "boring", but like I said, for those who play it they truly enjoy it. Nevermind that Ambriosa... err, Ambio... whatever the "Walking in Stations" expansion is called will be well out by 2012, and tons of people are waiting for that. For some, not being able to walk in stations is actually the only thing that is stopping them from playing.

As for WoW... WoW is not an MMO. WoW is a cultural icon, a symbol for MMORPGs everywhere. It's abnormal and more importantly it's not going anywhere. Even with their left leg cut out from under them (China), WoW will stilll be popular. As people leave for bigger, better things, new people will come in because WoW is a popular gateway MMO.

Blizzard's new MMO will undoubtedly take subs away from WoW, when it releases. Jon mentioned that since we don't know much about it at this point, he can't reliably predict it'll be in the top 10 games of 2012. Because it might not be out till 2013; how do you know?

If he started making baseless assumptions like that, half the site would criticize him for it.

Originally posted by Elmnister

Jon breaks out his crystal ball and peers three years down the road. Which 10 games will dominate the market then?
    Jon Wood
    This week, I dug deep into the old closet to pull out my trusty crystal ball. Gazing deep into its smoky depths, I asked a simple question: What MMOs will round out the Top 10 three years from now? Being a cantankerous old coot of a crystal ball, it told me that I needed to be more specific. Was it to base the list on subscriber numbers? Overall profitability? Random lottery? In the end we decided to look for a Top 10 list that took many factors into account, with subscribers, profitability, critical acclaim and fan support topping the list.
    When I was putting this list together, there were a number of games that cropped up as possibilities that, for whatever reasons, I decided not to include in my top ten. The next Blizzard MMO, for example is left off because there’s a good chance it won’t yet have launched. It’s tough enough to define the Top 10 Games of 2009, let alone three years from now. Many quality titles didn’t make the list, but were kept firmly in mind. They include: The Secret World, The Agency, Copernicus, Lord of the Rings Online, Global Agenda and Fallen Earth.

Read more here.

I agree almost all the way with it on this but i have one objection, I think that Fallen Earth should be replaced with GW2

i think hes spot on if not its no1, GW has sold over 6 million copies so it wudnt surprise me GW2 will keep that no2 position.

• dmalcomdmalcom Member Posts: 12

What about WURM.  In 2012 Wurm will finally come into it's own.  I know I am just deluding myself .  Seriously though I hope the folks at MMORPG.com Archive this whole article, forum posts included and reprint it in three years so we can see just how good that crystal ball is.  I bet less than three of the games listed will actually be in the top ten.  And two of those will be WoW and EVE.  all of the most anticipated games lately have failed miserably.  I don't think the #1 or #2 spot will be any of the big titles everyone is anticipating but something completely out of left field.  I could easily see WoW holding onto the #1 spot for another three years, but I really hope not.  I am not a WoW hater just very bored with it and all of the games re-using the same tired formula.  The only Genre I would be interested in playing without a new formula would be a Steampunk game, or a proper use of the Shadowrun IP.  As for EVE I don't think it will go away anytime soon.  I keep coming back to it every few months, and it just keeps getting better. 

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Originally posted by sychotix

Not sure if this was addressed in previous posts, but you made one major error in what you said. Blizzard new MMO which is yet to be announced at Blizcon will most likely be in the top 3. Hopefully, it will beat WoW as it is blizzard. They have yet to create a game that fails, other than Warcraft: Orcs and Humans imho.

I for one am looking forward to the new MMO and will likely quit WoW because of it.

I was thinking same thing.  Hoping someone knew for sure what it is.  I heard its nothing to do with any current franchise, if thats true rule out Starcraft online.   Unless they have had it in development for a while it wont make 2012 anyway.   Wait,  2012 is the year the world ends so who cares anyway.    Anyone not familiar with the 2012 deal,  Google it if ya want.

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.

Originally posted by Shreddi

Originally posted by sychotix

Not sure if this was addressed in previous posts, but you made one major error in what you said. Blizzard new MMO which is yet to be announced at Blizcon will most likely be in the top 3. Hopefully, it will beat WoW as it is blizzard. They have yet to create a game that fails, other than Warcraft: Orcs and Humans imho.

I for one am looking forward to the new MMO and will likely quit WoW because of it.

I was thinking same thing.  Hoping someone knew for sure what it is.  I heard its nothing to do with any current franchise, if thats true rule out Starcraft online.   Unless they have had it in development for a while it wont make 2012 anyway.   Wait,  2012 is the year the world ends so who cares anyway.    Anyone not familiar with the 2012 deal,  Google it if ya want.

he stated why he left out blizzards new mmo because no1 knows it would see launch in 2012

• Reinier001Reinier001 Member UncommonPosts: 78

Aion definately deserves higher then #10, thats bottom of the barrel. World of Warcraft still #1 in 2012? I doubt it

• KrazyKrautKrazyKraut Member Posts: 20

Final Fantasy XIV will....

Maybe something new like SECRET WORLD by Funcom will shortly be in the top 3..but i am sure..FFXIV!! 

Played FFXI, AoConan, Silkroad Online, Ether Saga Online. Waiting for FFXIV!
    Recruiting members for upcoming FFXIV Guild Crimson Night!www.crimson-night.net

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

I agree with most of the predictions here and they will probably become true, although in my opinion WoW wont be number 1 anymore, but will certainly be in top3 most played, and by 2012 Blizz will be probably launching their new MMORPG.

plus i think Aion will keep higher than number 10, like Jon said it appeals to a great audience and its a very polished game in 2009, let alone 2012 with 2 or 3 expansions on it.

Time will  tell

• dhayes68dhayes68 Member UncommonPosts: 1,388

I believe that though they'll start big, the weight of hype and IP-fan expectations will drag both STO and SW:TOR down fairly quickly.

My prediction is a company is going to proffer an high-end, community building, sandbox type MMO that will start small but quickly explode.  Theme park style mmo's will migrate to consoles (and do very well there for the most part).

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    Originally posted by dhayes68

I believe that though they'll start big, the weight of hype and IP-fan expectations will drag both STO and SW:TOR down fairly quickly.
    My prediction is a company is going to proffer an high-end, community building, sandbox type MMO that will start small but quickly explode.  Theme park style mmo's will migrate to consoles (and do very well there for the most part).

You honestly think that? You thnk that the almost 12 million wow players, plus all the other millions that play in a PC daily games like WoW, Lotro, AoC, Aion, WAR and so many others will suddenly stop and start playing Sandbox MMo's?? Lol

• UbieUbie Member Posts: 185

Very nice list Jon, I agree with your top picks. I think Aion should be a bit higher, but WoW, GW2, SWTOR should most definitely be on top. I would like to think GW2 will de-thrown WoW since it has a large, dedicated player base waiting on it's release, but you are most likely correct.

This discussion has been closed.