Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soloing?

calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300

I bought the game a long time ago but didn't get very far. I wanted to try it cause I love the FF series. I want to come back but I wanted to see if it is possible to solo. Becuase of my strange hours grouping is very difficult for me so is it easier to solo than it was years ago when i first got this game?

Comments

• CredinusCredinus Member Posts: 32

I actually bought the FFXI to try for the first time ever about a month ago, after reading that they've done a lot to make soloing and forming parties easier.

And I have to say, it must be true. I never played before so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I had no problems soloing up monk high enough to be able to start sub-jobbing, and still had no problems soloing harder classes like mages with sub jobs. On top of that, after I hit 15, I had -no- problems finding a party. The level synch system they introduced some time ago makes it easy to find a party since high level characters can still benefit from joining a low level party. I also found the economy to be MUCH more balanced than I expected. Almost everything I needed from the auction house I could afford from going out and killing stuff for about 15-30 minutes and then selling the loot on the AH myself. I didn't feel like gold [or in this case, gil] sellers ruined the economy like they manage to do for so many others.

Granted, this may differ server to server, but I can tell you that I had no problems on the Garuda server.

Edit: And no, I didn't just get to 18, I've gotten monk to upper 20s with no trouble.

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

Can't add any more to that. I'll just say yeah, it's easier to solo than before.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• BlueCadwalBlueCadwal Member Posts: 170

I concur, it's much easier to solo.  It takes a little bit more time to level after the level 14/15 mark, but it's still easier than it used to be.

Let it be known that I hate WoW with a passion and will defend almost any MMORPG against it.
    Current: FFXI (PC/360)
    Want: FFXIV, Stargate Worlds, Star Trek Online
    Past: AC, AoC, AO, Atlantica Online, CoH/V, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, D&DO, EVE, Everquest I+II, FlyFF, GW (all), Lineage 2, LOTRO, Mabinogi, Maplestory, PSO (DC/Xbox/PC), PSU (PC/360), PlanetSide, RO, Shadowbane, SWG (Pre-NGE), SotNW, TR, UO, Warhammer Online, WoW, WWIIO

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347

I just started a few days ago with a friend. 

I'm a Monk (12) , he's a Black Mage (11) 

We were having a tough time till we actually got weapons / armor. 

Then it has been smooth sailing so far.  

I can't say anything about the higher levels as I've never been there, but so far, when I venture out, as long as I'm not picking fights I'm not supposed to, I'm having a pretty easy time.  

(Of course the resting between each fight for 3 minutes is starting to become daunting)

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

Gets easier when you get a sub job.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Credinus

I actually bought the FFXI to try for the first time ever about a month ago, after reading that they've done a lot to make soloing and forming parties easier.
    And I have to say, it must be true. I never played before so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I had no problems soloing up monk high enough to be able to start sub-jobbing, and still had no problems soloing harder classes like mages with sub jobs. On top of that, after I hit 15, I had -no- problems finding a party. The level synch system they introduced some time ago makes it easy to find a party since high level characters can still benefit from joining a low level party. I also found the economy to be MUCH more balanced than I expected. Almost everything I needed from the auction house I could afford from going out and killing stuff for about 15-30 minutes and then selling the loot on the AH myself. I didn't feel like gold [or in this case, gil] sellers ruined the economy like they manage to do for so many others.
    Granted, this may differ server to server, but I can tell you that I had no problems on the Garuda server.
    Edit: And no, I didn't just get to 18, I've gotten monk to upper 20s with no trouble.

Like Sati said... really nothing more to add to that.

Can't get much better than a personal account from a new player in their own words.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by sigurd57

I just started a few days ago with a friend. 

I'm a Monk (12) , he's a Black Mage (11) 
    We were having a tough time till we actually got weapons / armor. 

Then it has been smooth sailing so far.  

I can't say anything about the higher levels as I've never been there, but so far, when I venture out, as long as I'm not picking fights I'm not supposed to, I'm having a pretty easy time.  
    (Of course the resting between each fight for 3 minutes is starting to become daunting)

Couple things about the down-time...

1. If you're having down-time between every fight, then you might want to re-evaluate what mobs you're fighting, and look for things one step down (if you're fighting Toughs, try Evens instead (based on the higher level in the group)

2. Use Au-Laits or Selbina Milk for HP regen. Use juices or cookies for MP regen... that will help the downtime as well.

Alternative to 2: If you're doing FoV tasks, use the temp. regen buffs they offer under Field Support

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops