Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AOC Worth Re-Subbing? Ha you have got to be kidding.

More to come in here

Comments

• Arelius77Arelius77 Member Posts: 4

Only if you want, but you don't have to... life is full of wonderful choices.

• FarradayFarraday Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by LordBonezy

More to come in here

Since OP hasn't really started the discussion yet, I'll be the first to say yes, it is worth re-subbing. Of course that's my personal opinion, as with everyone else here at these forums, bashing at eachother. Since launch, there has been several good improvements to the game, some of them being:

• Countless bug fixes
    • Dungeon rewamps (Black Castle, was it?)
    • Added Content (one example: Ymir's Pass has to be one of the best playfields from 20-80)
    • Item rewamp

Of course, this may not be enough for everybody, but for those of us who left the game for the reasons above, it is definately worth re-subbing. At least I know that AoC will keep me busy for months to come, looking forward to new updates and the upcoming Expansion.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

" Let the Buyer Beware "

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • wazzap2121wazzap2121 Member Posts: 154

I've seen a lot of nice revamps in the game.  Personally, I haven't played it since then only because I want to try a trial with the new changes.  However, no trial is up yet so it's still under the hood.  The changes seem to be very positive and welcome toward the community.  I hope they continue to make it better.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

If you left because of bugs and instability but enjoyed the game play then it is worth re-subbing to. If you hated the game play and did not like things like combat, pvp, game play, then you probably won't like it still.

Doesn't take much effort to get the free trial and see if the game has improved in your opinion. If not, move on, and good luck in the next game. Some people just can't let go.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• LordBonezyLordBonezy Member Posts: 254

LOL you guys started the discussion without me how cute. I hadn't even written anything yet. Well maybe I should make a new post. LOL

Here is what I was working on writing...

First my AOC background briefly. Led a guild on a PVE server, largest guild, from launch to October when I quit. Started a new guild on Tyranny because it was the most active PVP server. This was during the mass exodus of players followed by a mass migration of existing players in the absense of a transer plan or option. I gave up on the game in that same sub cycle because they delayed patching again, and well you know the history.

Fast foward to today/last month. Just before the 14 day free trial, I actually paid to re-sub on the request of a friend who I used to play AOC with just to try it out again. Well I was not impressed. While most people are reporting that game client performance has improved accross the board, server ping i.e. redbar still STILL POPS occassionally. Additionally DX10 is in the game now. However it's beta, yes beta, after a year and 3 months, DX10 is BETA and it plays like it unless you have a GTX series GPU. (one released in the alst 6 months) DX9 performance is excellent on older cards however of the 9 or 8 series and of course comparable on the ATI cards of the same level of which I am no expert.

A vast segement of the players who left PVP servers because of ganking will be unhappy to note that ganking, mindless PVP, FFA PVP still exists with no real consequence. They called the murder system the consequence system. There is no real consequence system sorry next question.

Many of those who left PVP either quit the game or went to a PVE server at launch, well you'll be also unhappy to note that PVE is just as boring with the same mindless and challengeless AI that was there at launch with no tweaking.

A common theme with software companies is to implement features/design/improvements based upon user feedback. Its why Windows has a start menu, why computers have a mouse, and why Windows 7 UAC has no nutz. AOC built by Funcom is totally different, and not in the successful way. Since the first week of the game players have been asking for a larger guild bank because 50 slots when you have dozens or hundreds of guild members is too few. No change from launch.

Guild Master Customization options, i.e. being able to set permissions for each rank, create ranks, non-existent, same as launch, stock options only and those do not permit the Guild Master to change them.

Quests past Tortage which were missing voice overs, about 95% of those missing voice overs are still missing voiceovers. Approximately 90% of all quests in the game do not have a voice over.

Guild Towers in the border kingdoms, supposed to be in the game months ago. Still not in AOC. Supposedly coming in 1.06, so maybe September-December patch cycle who the hell knows.

How often do they update patches? Very very slow, one new update approximately every 3 months. Current imbalance was reported over and over on the testlive servers but the dev team felt they had it right, Casters are overpowered evidently. I don't know I only played for about 3 weeks since I got back, they certainly have their advantage. I would say melee is mostly underpowered with rangers right about even. Balancing classes in AOC is something that probably will never be achieved to the point the majority agrees is positive.

Group XP is still subpar to solo xp. Grouping options are still awful, there is no good and easy GUI implement to form a group, nor is their a looking for group tab like global chat which is basically spam and many players are complaining about it to the point of disabling it, making it harder for players to find and group in AOC. Were the benefits to grouping better than they were at launch, this would be more of an issue than it is.

Anything you created months ago is worthless today. Any gems or harvested raw materials basically worthless except city building materials. Anything you create via crafting today isn't better than some blues unless you are top tier crafting.

Harvesting is the same BS that it was at launch. Beat a tree or a rock for hours times hundreds of your guild mates, put all that effort (time sinkage) together get yourself a guild city. Buffs are significant but not substantial.

Sieges are still buggy, still laggy, and still require sacrificing image quality for performance. This is 2009 going on 2010, DX10 is firmly established in the marketplace, AOC has failed, FAILED to implement.

The 14 day free trial extension isn't a bonus but an act of desperation to buff the population numbers so they have something to point to and call it success. There are guilds that are entirely resubbing according to Erling, yeah there are plenty of 1 man guilds that are trying it again, nobody even heard of the guild or the Guild Master from either of my guilds a few months later on the server that I am now on with my main, and on Tyranny about 75% of guilds are fly by nite operations except for the zerg guilds with 500+ members.

AOC is still a very broken game with broken mechanics, a dev team that basically fixed performance and delivered DX10. I'm sorry to report that that is their crowning achievement thus far, 2 things which should have been on the DVD, in the box, when it shipped to the store we all picked it up from. It seems like they are proud of it to the point they are asking players to come back and then using viral marketing here, there, everywhere to bolster the game to the point that you would think it was such a pile of shit at launch and is a bar of gold today.

Thanks, but no thanks. I offered to send them back my copy so they could give it away to someone else, I've also uninstalled it from my harddive. I'm not interested in installing it again, and then spending 4-6 hours downloading and installing gigs and gigs of patches. Oh by the way even they weren't intersted in taking back the copy. Goes to show the level of pride and esteem they hold in the "product" Age of Conan

So there you have the story.

Oh by the way, remember...

Drunken Brawling,

or NPC sieges,

or Vetern Rewards,

or increasing the quest limit beyond 20,

or Collesseum Idea,

Player housing,

64-bit executable or,

raising the level cap,

or starting at level 20 and past Tortage

or, Dungeon Maps,

Consentual Duels anywhere on PVE servers,

Learning more than 2 crafting trades,

Bounties or, Bigger Breasts,

Clothing dyes or,

random world events,

player ships,

more building types for guild cities,

A single Funcom hosted event,

Guild Taxes,

Mercenary or Guild Alliance system,

Guild City markets,

NONE OF IT MADE IT INTO THE GAME, We got Stable performance and DX10 beta so basically Craig is staying STFU and resub!

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Wow that's a really big list of advertised but still missing content but I can atleast say with Gaute gone I feel sorry for Craig and those who wanted to enjoy the game but were unable to because of all the content never delivered on.  You heard so much about drunken brawling when this game was just about to release and nothing since.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

OP maybe some of that stuff you listed will be in the expansion. We will find out next month more details. Either way, what you listed I would like to see. The game is still enjoyable for me. Sorry you didn't like it.

• KrewelKrewel Member Posts: 390

LordBonzey - you are the voice of reason. I feel the same way, unfortunately. And I really have to LOL at Funcom for making that overdramatized and deluding trailer for a comeback programme. I wouldn't be surprised if they spent millions on making a Hollywood blockbuster just to get 100 more subscribers.

I'd say that AoC will be worthy people's money after a year from now. But that's just me... or is it?

I have to say I don't think AOC is going to make it another year. I think if they drop below 100k subs, they are finished. They can't patch and develop at the same time on AOC as they are creating their new MMO. Which is where  substantial portions of their resources are. It also clearly explains why AOC has progressed almost nil since launch.

Advertised, new player levels, countless bug fixes, stable performance. Yada yada, this game is featurewise where it was at launch and we have DX10 beta and buggy sieges. No thanks. Its not worth paying for.

Try the 14 day FREE trial for yourself and see. But don't be lured into resubbing.

• KrewelKrewel Member Posts: 390

Well, I'd say that the main problem with AoC is its extremely slow development cycle. There are far too many months between large updates and you must realize that one year has passed and the main technical problems are still present. If it takes them one year to implement DX10 BETA and enough quests to close the levelling gap, then that is for me way too slow.

Concrete examples of slow development - while FC has yet to publicly state that sieges are a major joke, let alone fix them, Blizzard has in the meanwhile released Wintergrasp with the expansion that brings way more fun and worthwhile experience than the broken and unworthy sieges in AoC. In fact, it will soon be almost a year since Wintergrasp was first introduced.

- while FC was busy trying to make tier 2 raids accessable to people or at least playable, Blizz has introduced introductory tier 7 content, available to almost any player. Tier 8 was released in April and people are still struggling to do the latest content. And what else? Oh, tier 9 will be released in a few weeks (could be next weeks). And you must bear in mind that Funcom is STILL tweaking bosses for both tier 1 and 2 after one year (especially after 1.5) and many players are still reporting numerous bugs associated with various Tier 2 encounters.

Originally posted by LordBonezy
    Advertised, new player levels, countless bug fixes, stable performance. Yada yada, this game is featurewise where it was at launch and we have DX10 beta and buggy sieges. No thanks. Its not worth paying for.
    Try the 14 day FREE trial for yourself and see. But don't be lured into resubbing.

If people find it fun and enjoy the game they should re-sub. The moment any game becomes a job, frustrating daily, boring and whatever, then cancel.

If you are doing the 14 day free trial and find it fun and think it has another months worth of gameplay, subscribe. You're not being lured into anything. It is your decision if enjoy the game. If not then don't subscribe or re-sub.

The biggest impact you can make on Funcom if you are unhappy is with your wallet.

They haven't wasted their money. If they got a good month of gaming out of it then they got what they paid for. If they reached the end game and didn't like it still they got however long they paid for.

I don't play a game with a set goal in mind to reach end game and experience just that. It's not a race for me. The journey and endgame matter most to me. If at the end I did not enjoy the endgame I'll cancel but getting to the end was a lot of fun for me.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Posted by badboybill on 8/01/09 at 8:51:13 AM

"Most people here are not REAL people. We have blind fanbois, trolls, shills and just plain old crazy. This forum is one of the worst places to get objective and unbiased information."

Can you not sense the irony?

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by badboybill

Most people here are not REAL people. We have blind fanbois, trolls, shills and just plain old crazy. This forum is one of the worst places to get objective and unbiased information.

I'll say, those crazy fucking fake people. AOC a success. AOC booming. AOC fixed. AOC valuable. AOC worth it. AOC fun. AOC rich in content. AOC rich in features lol. BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS BS

This forum is substantially better than many others, including the offical forums where they close negative posts and regulate what is said about the game. AOC has not substantially improved except for client performance and the addition of DX10. Dozens of requested or advertised features stemming from pre-launch and launch have not even been looked at much less implemented. Someone posted that they development improvement cycle of months in between patching is too long and I completely agree. They should be patching every 45 days, and they should still be in the substantial patching and feature delivery segment of AOC's growth but they aren't. They've already written of AOC as a failure and why not it clearly is.

Time will tell just how much of a failure but it won't be long and they'll be dumping AOC if subs drop below 100k, which looks feasible given how badly they've failed to deliver features.

• maakaatuumaakaatuu Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by jaxsundane

Wow that's a really big list of advertised but still missing content but I can atleast say with Gaute gone I feel sorry for Craig and those who wanted to enjoy the game but were unable to because of all the content never delivered on.  You heard so much about drunken brawling when this game was just about to release and nothing since.

Yeah.. what happened to drunken brawling? Are we ever going to see it?

This discussion has been closed.