Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com review rating has been revealed

Comments

• tombear81tombear81 Member Posts: 810
    Originally posted by xzyax 

So in essence mmorpg.com's score range goes from 5 to 9
    It basically breaks down like this if you want to try and put it on a 0-10 scale:
    5.1-5.5 = 0-1
    5.6-6.0 = 2-3
    6.1-6.5 = 4-5
    6.6-7.0 = 6
    7.1-7.5 = 7
    7.6-8.0 = 8
    8.1-8.5 = 9
    8.6-9.0 = 10

Excellent ... an easy to read numerical scoring system which I have to convert to get the real amount. Ouch is the whole system geared towards appeasement and giving of higher numbers. I don't really read MMORPG reviews normally and with this experience I'll be over at Eurogamer simply because of this odd review and numerical system.  Feels like a case of 'causehigh numbers are better !

Not a massive fan but reminds me of this :

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by maxnrosy

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

DarkFall is  acceptable.
     www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/4/view/news/showArticle/14545
    "A lot of the world simply seemed natural. From the way that towns were set up, to the way the wilderness was constructed. I had the very distinct impression that the world builders really put some love into their creation, and it showed through. On a side-note, every tree, every rock, every bush I saw was harvestable for crafting, I swear. That was awesome."
    "You can then check any UI window, and with another quick button press everything vanishes and you are in control of your character again. It almost sounds elegant, and it almost is elegant."
    "How you interact with the environment also feels very strange and will turn off a large number of people, but I do admit that I understand some of their choices."

"Actually, I had more fun in combat than I have had in most MMOs in some ways"
    "PvP is, of course, more impressive. It is, after all, the bread and butter of Darkfall and exactly what the game is centered around. It is perfectly open PvP.
     "That means that, like EVE Online, there is a certain metagame of territory control in Darkfall that has the potential to be very interesting."

These MMORPG.com review is acceptable.
    He seems to understand the concepts of the game but just in some occasions in which the target audience of the game has to be split in "those who the game is created for" and "those who the game is not created for" he seemingly favors the concerns of the second group..which explains that  6 that would be an 7 or an 8 otherwise..

Wrong!

Final Score

Mediocre

Get it right Darth.

yes, for MMORPG.com the game is acceptable..

You see even for mainstream media they do not like full loot pvp the game is NOT bad andhas more good then bad in it.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• shukes33shukes33 Member Posts: 1,051

DarkFall is  acceptable.
    "A lot of the world simply seemed natural. From the way that towns were set up, to the way the wilderness was constructed. I had the very distinct impression that the world builders really put some love into their creation, and it showed through. On a side-note, every tree, every rock, every bush I saw was harvestable for crafting, I swear. That was awesome."
    "You can then check any UI window, and with another quick button press everything vanishes and you are in control of your character again. It almost sounds elegant, and it almost is elegant."
    "How you interact with the environment also feels very strange and will turn off a large number of people, but I do admit that I understand some of their choices."

"PvP is, of course, more impressive. It is, after all, the bread and butter of Darkfall and exactly what the game is centered around. It is perfectly open PvP.
     "That means that, like EVE Online, there is a certain metagame of territory control in Darkfall that has the potential to be very interesting."

He seems to understand the concepts of the game but just in some occasions in which the target audience of the game has to be split in "those who the game is created for" and "those who the game is not created for" he seemingly favors the concerns of the second group..which explains that  6 that would be an 7 or an 8 otherwise..

Wrong!

Final Score

Mediocre

Get it right Darth.

Is no one else noticing this and wandering? i mean dont get me wrong, if you think the score should have been higher or lower does'nt matter...but isnt anyone else reading that review and noticing the same as myself and darth? read those comments in the review....are they negative comments? most of the negative comments he makes he refers to how some might see it...as in not how he see's it!

Not saying he should have given it a higher score...couldnt care if he gave it a 1..i enjoy it so i play it. but that review is a fair review and others reading it without the final score could be forgiven for thinking that he actually enjoyed the game...only untill they get to the last paragraph would they find out he didn't.

Come on people tell me what i doing wrong please....this is even getting comical now :) can't no one tell me?

• AlanakoAlanako Member Posts: 188

Because you and Darth are only reading the few positive comments in the review, those that allow the reviewer to stretch up the score to 6. The rest of the comment, negative ones, are dismissed by both of you as if they not exist, including the one in which he stated that he could not find a way to play Darkfall that deliver fun

Originally posted by Alanako

Because you and Darth are only reading the few positive comments in the review, those that allow the reviewer to stretch up the score to 6. The rest of the comment, negative ones, are dismissed by both of you as if they not exist, including the one in which he stated that he could not find a way to play Darkfall that deliver fun

Thats fair enough but why dont you list the negative comments and then list the positive ones...please be honest though. Dont use two comments in the same sentence as two seperate ones if they mean the same thing etc. and then see if there are more negative comments than positive ones....other than like we both said the last paragraph.

Just as a bit of an exercise :) and if you still think the same after listing them down. it will down as black and white and i will have to agree then that the score suggests less or at best right on the six mark. Does that sound fair?

• maxnrosymaxnrosy Member Posts: 608

DarkFall is  acceptable.

Wrong!

Final Score

Mediocre

Get it right Darth.

You see even for mainstream media they do not like full loot pvp the game is NOT bad andhas more good then bad in it.

Ah you fail to understand. Now matter How hard you try to spin the review to your favor. All the new people showing interest to the game will click on that review and see a big yellow

Mediocre.   

First impressions hit hard. Even if you put a wig on it . Its what it is Darkfall is a Mediocre game even if you like it or not.

Yep The shitstorm hit the fourms.

Watching Fanbois drop their soap in a prison full of desperate men.

so words like "awesome" scream mediocre for you..god i live in a different world :)

DarkFall is  acceptable.

Wrong!

Final Score

Mediocre

Get it right Darth.

Ah you fail to understand. Now matter How hard you try to spin the review to your favor. All the new people showing interest to the game will click on that review and see a big yellow

Mediocre.   

First impressions hit hard. Even if you put a wig on it . Its what it is Darkfall is a Mediocre game even if you like it or not.

Yep The shitstorm hit the fourms.

I was quite sure the description yesterday to 6 was

"Acceptable"

today there is something different to read.

I find it quite pathetic from MMORPG.com  to change the rating system over night only to cater to the trolls and haters lol

pretty low standarts here..

Seems these site getting more ridicolous with everyday . Thousand of visitors have read "Acceptable'" yetsterday lol

However 6 / 10 isnt that bad for a mainstream platform and proves once again how sitty Eurogaymer is

-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

You know, the more i think about this the more i come to the conclusion that

A. There was way too much hype about the game.

B. There was way too high an expectation of the game

C. The game did take several years (many thought it would never come out), i think this length of time and the actual released product didnt help.

Not tried or seen the game myself, just all the reviews and player feedback on the game was enough. Mmorpg.com gave it a 6/10, one of teh highest scores from a review given than other mag reviewers, but still one of the lowest mmorpg.com has actually given a game, this to me means that if the game does not hit a 7 or 7.5 out of 10 then its 1 to be missed in my opinion. For many, including myself, we will not touch the game unless we get to playtest it for a couple of weeks and then decide from there but they wont do that. Some people say you should just buy it and see but thats like going into a bank and asking for free hand-out, of course that will never happen either ;)

Don't worry serious gamemags like

UK "Total PCgaming" rated 7.4 / 10 

their verdict :

"It lacks features the masses expect, but if you like your MMOs to be raw, dynamic and uncompromising, it will grow on"

• Spaceweed10Spaceweed10 Member Posts: 625

DarkFall is  acceptable.

How very selective of you - try reading the rest of the document.  How the reviewer can use the terminology he did and still give it a 6 is just beyond me.

Eurogamer was slightly generous why they gave it a 4, but MMORPG.com has clearly 'bottled' the final score.

Originally posted by shukes33

Thats fair enough but why dont you list the negative comments and then list the positive ones...please be honest though. Dont use two comments in the same sentence as two seperate ones if they mean the same thing etc. and then see if there are more negative comments than positive ones....other than like we both said the last paragraph.
    Just as a bit of an exercise :) and if you still think the same after listing them down. it will down as black and white and i will have to agree then that the score suggests less or at best right on the six mark. Does that sound fair?

Sorry, but couldnt do that. Not because not enough negative comments exist , but because of technical limitations. I read this forums to kill idle time at work, with my iphone, and, although its enough to read them, its limited in the posting capabilities.
    It you really want to know them, read the first page, youll find plenty there, although the one i quote in my initial answer to you should be enough to understand why darkfall got a low score
  • rr2realrr2real Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Spaceweed10

DarkFall is  acceptable.

How very selective of you - try reading the rest of the document.  How the reviewer can use the terminology he did and still give it a 6 is just beyond me.

Eurogamer was slightly generous why they gave it a 4, but MMORPG.com has clearly 'bottled' the final score.

this is all you need to read

"In fact, I just couldn't find it playable in any enjoyable way. A pretty world and some good ideas only go so far, and when you're targeting a niche audience, you can't afford to lose them because of a complete lack of polish. It starts out strong enough if this type of a game is your thing, but the illusion quickly vanishes."

• MaughannMaughann Member Posts: 139

I'm of the opinion that Darth probably hates the game too but he's made such a big deal of defending it, he can't back down without losing a huge amount of face.

It's okay Darth..we won't point and laugh for more than a year or two...you can admit that you're bitterly disappointed with Darkfall and it's really a very very poor game.

Originally posted by Maughann

I'm of the opinion that Darth probably hates the game too but he's made such a big deal of defending it, he can't back down without losing a huge amount of face.
    It's okay Darth..we won't point and laugh for more than a year or two...you can admit that you're bitterly disappointed with Darkfall and it's really a very very poor game.

Your opinion is wrong. 

I don't like to waste my time on mediocre MMO's so i always played the most excitintg ones that excels from the mass.

I am into my 4 th , soon 5th month now playing the best MMORPG on the market right now..

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

Your opinion is wrong. 

I don't like to waste my time on mediocre MMO's so i always played the most excitintg ones that excels from the mass.

I am into my 4 th , soon 5th month now playing the best MMORPG on the market right now..

Is your in game name 'Darth Raiden'?

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

Originally posted by sanders01

Your opinion is wrong. 

Is your in game name 'Darth Raiden'?

Nope , in case you have meet someone with that nick is not me. maybe a big fan of me (or stalker) ? lol 

• pwnzorellOrpwnzorellOr Member Posts: 216

Your opinion is wrong. 

cool, which game is that? i might try it out.

jedi mind - heavenly divine, steadily shine in '99!

Your opinion is wrong. 

A.Based on MMORPG.com review is a mediocre MMO, so you should not be playing it.
    B.Its hard to be the best MMORPG on the market when Darkfall its not a MMORPG
  • downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558

Your opinion is wrong. 

A.Based on MMORPG.com review is a mediocre MMO, so you should not be playing it.

its one of the better pvp ones eve is ok just boring. heres a diffreanc ein eve and df you will catch up in skill sooner or later EVE YOU CANT

• APEistAPEist Member UncommonPosts: 409
    Originally posted by xzyax

Just an F.Y.I. on mmorpg.com and some perspective of them giving a 6.0 review score.

That is the LOWEST score they give. 
    I have yet to find a review on this site that goes below a 6.  Perhaps someone else can find a game that has a review score lower? 

AoC got a 6 when it was given a  full review as well. 
    SWG scored a 6.5
    Hero Online scored a 6.1

For some perspective...
    EvE  = 8.5
    LoTRO = 8.5
    DAoC = 8.4
    WAR = 8.4
    Guild Wars = 8.1
    EQ = 8.0
    EQ2 = 7.9
    TCoS = 7.7
    DarkFall = 6.0

Weird that I enjoyed a 6.0 (DF) and 6.5 rated game (pre-cu + cu SWG) much more than their five highest rated, lol.

Guess I'm a little off kilter.

The noob formally not known as not being the formally not unkown known APEist; The Stone Cold Killer of Tarq.

Originally posted by downtoearth

Your opinion is wrong. 

its one of the better pvp ones eve is ok just boring. heres a diffreanc ein eve and df you will catch up in skill sooner or later EVE YOU CANT

You are wrong. In EVe, after you trained to 5 the skills you need to fly properly your ship, it didnt matter if another pilot is 4 years older than you, e's not going to pilot you ship better than you pilot (apart from the experience the player has of that time in the game). His pilot would be able of doing more things, and pilot more ships, but after you pilot reach 5 in a skill, he is as good as any other in that skill.

Also, it seems you are not hardcore enough to play EVE, so you need to stay in that carebear game called Darkfall

• TrenchgunTrenchgun Member Posts: 295
    Originally posted by rav3n2

or a 9..NO! maybe  a 10 I think.

"There's a lot of downtime, there's painfully few quests - although the gameplay is about straight PvP anyway - the interface is horrific, the animations are sub par and not well varied. Combat, as nice as it might sound, even felt pretty clunky."

"As much as I wanted to like Darkfall when I had first heard about it, I simply have to be honest: it isn't a polished game. In fact, I just couldn't find it playable in any enjoyable way. A pretty world and some good ideas only go so far, and when you're targeting a niche audience, you can't afford to lose them because of a complete lack of polish. It starts out strong enough if this type of a game is your thing, but the illusion quickly vanishes."

Whoever wrote that by definition is a moron, because a niche game by definition lacks the mass market big budget polish in order to deliver something unique to a core group that demands it and is willing to look past the flaws just for that - That is why darkfall is suceeding now, and it's why world war 2 online survived all those years until it could get polished up.

Darkfall is a game where you look past the low polish in order to enjoy the meat  of the PvP in all it's forms.

• TrenchgunTrenchgun Member Posts: 295

Stop pretending you have a clue. Darkfall's definition of success is being met as a niche small budget MMO.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

DarkFall is  acceptable.

LMAO

Darth... Darth... Darth...

You do realize we all read the same review, right?

You do realize your blatant omission of the criticisms (which are many) contained in the review is not lost on us, right?

You do realize that your complete bastardization of the review is the epitomy of cherry-picking and spin-doctoring, right?

The review (the real one, not your abridged and censored version) is riddled with criticisms of the game that have *nothing* to do with whether it's for one group or not for another... Of course, true to form, you completely ignore those criticisms and focus only on the aspects that you can feed through your spin filter.

I will say you've accomplished one thing.. That last paragraph, in blue, should be quoted and cited for all time as the ultimate example of intellectually dishonest spin-doctoring.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops