Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Darkfall Online Review

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by ChinaCat

Sean clearly approached this review with a genuine attempt to be fair and with no agenda. Of course, any person reviewing any game can only be objective to some extent, afterall, how they personally "feel" is valid and always part of the review.
    While it is certainly not necessary for one to have experience playing Ultima Online Pre-Trammel, or Darktide in AC1, to enjoy DFO, it is very clear that Sean never played either. Things that bother him about DFO are aspects of the game many of us not only enjoy, but have a deeper understanding of why they exist and therefore less concern over the result; for example Sean really dislikes losing control over his character while looting, taking one item at a time.
    Sean talks about graphics and compliments World Building, but fails to provide his system specs. I don't know about you, but I fail to understand how any person can comment on graphics and not state what video card, resolution and monitor is as reference.
    Sean says "how you interact with the environment feels ""STRANGE"".." That's true, but only to the extent you understand how to do it. /baffled
    He tells Casual Gamers to "Avoid DFO like the Plague". I don't know if this is just Sean, or trauma from having played from the start on EU. On the NA server we have very casual gamers in our guild and we take them hunting and on PvP raids, and they have just as much fun as any one else and definately contribute.
    Sean appears to be the typical MMO gamer in many respects, so to that extent the review probably has meaning and mirrors what some would experience. Unfortunately on so many levels, DFO is just not for Sean in the areas that he finds "strange", and he draws conclusions that are extreme and flat out wrong.
    After all the posts, debates and reviews it is quite obvious that DFO is one of those games you simply have to try yourself  to know if it's for you.  For some it sucks, and for others like myself, it's the best game I've played since UO.    I've met people in game and on the boards who absolutely love DFO and find the graphics awesome, and expected the reverse.
    Sean makes some very good points and constructive criticism. I can only hope those reading it understand this is merely one persons opinion, and conclusions are projections based upon his personal experience alone. I can't relate to Sean's review, as my experience is quite different and far more favorable.
    -CC

Well I am a UO veteran, I played from release until the Age of Shadows expansion.  I have been looking for a game that offered at least somewhat of a similar experience.  Full loot works well in a well designed game, Darkfall is most certainly not well designed.

This review is spot on.  Darkfall does not even hold a candle to UO of old and UO was never close to as exploitable as Darkfall is.  Personally I would be reluctant to give the game a 5, mainly because the developers come off as a bunch of clueless people fumbling in the dark. 

There is absolutely NO excuse for the hodge podge the backpack is and few use  the interface to pick things up, it is all macro driven which highly favors the macro users.  Replicating that feature of UO is just taking absurdity to the utmost.  The UI is worse than he says it is.  Worst design I have seen in a MMO.   

I don't even have to mention the exploitation factor which Aventurine conveniently ignores.

The problem with this game, it has major issues in the design.  Not something that can be easily fixed with an expansion.

Just looking at Aventurines record says the chances of this game ever getting better are slim and none.

• NicooNicoo Member UncommonPosts: 236

Its sad, the internet these days. That people that never have played the game it sucks because they read about it nothing else.

Its just a none ending shitface.

I bought Darkfall last week and I enjoy it like hell. Its a 9/10 for me. I followed the game for years, and listened to all the retards on forums and reviews and thought the game was shit, but its the win. 

Guys just dont like the game cause it is challenging.. Its hard for real, not like WoW, having guides for every boss out there, its prety retarded and boring when everything is really easy. This game has a hard learning curve, so 20 hours of gameplay wont cut it if you want to play the game.

Im not a Darkfall fanboy, I just bought the game and from what I've read the most people shitting on the game havnt played it or they dont like that the game is advanced and hard, a normal mob in Darkfall requieres more of a brain than any of the Wotlk raid content has ever done, jeez.

• wyrdaskolirwyrdaskolir Member UncommonPosts: 563

There's proof that Darkfall is much better than before. Before the expansion there seemed to be no new players coming in. Then recently on the forums, I am seeing countless threads pop up  asking questions and saying they are new. Others ask whether they should play or not.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I think the review was very well written, and that Darkfall deserves the "D".  I would have liked the reviewer to comment on the community and Aventurine.  I think those are important to some people, but looking at this thread, judging this game on its community would have been even more detrimental.  And we all know that Aventurine isn't the "best" company to run an MMO.  If those things were added the score would have been much lower.

• Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619

The review pretty much matched my experiences in DF, I thought it was very fair although by the reviewers comments it actually deserved a 5/10.

Their failure to mention the massive amount of bot'ing and cheats was a real oversight on their part, though.

As others have noted, the fans of DF will just add yet another "condition" to a review, until they get the numbers they like.

First it was "the reviewer didn't play long enough"

Now it's "the reviewer has to grade it from a "niche" standpoint".

< shrug >

The game is what it is, it got a higher score than it deserved, ya'll ought to be happy.

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712
    Originally posted by parrotpholk

Originally posted by junzo316

I think the review was very well written, and that Darkfall deserves the "D".  I would have liked the reviewer to comment on the community and Aventurine.  I think those are important to some people, but looking at this thread, judging this game on its community would have been even more detrimental.  And we all know that Aventurine isn't the "best" company to run an MMO.  If those things were added the score would have been much lower.

If he had brought up AV the game would have gotten a 0/10

Sadly, that is probably true.

• FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756

MMORPG.com only uses a scale of 6-10. Therefore the 6 is extremely below acceptable. In fact, tell me one game since the new review system that has recieved less than a 6. The system as it is where basically only a broken game would fall under a 6 is laughable. How many companies ship a broken game? At least the game will work in some shape or form. By that standard I could release an MMO where everyone are little circles running around a large black surface firing lasers and I'd get a 6 or higher because it isn't broken and it works. Doesn't mean it's fun though.

Games need to be rated on polish. World of Warcraft was polished, Lineage 2 was Polished and Aion will be polished. These 3 games (and Lineage 1 but thats 2d so I'd rather not count it) are the top selling subscription based MMO's in the world. Even a game with the best concepts, if it isn't polished out the door it won't be successful. People will get frustrated over a small bug or a game crash or maybe a day of severe lag.

• RZetlinRZetlin Member UncommonPosts: 134

The review sounds pretty negative.

Was a mark of 6 given so that  Sean Bulger doesn't get beat up by the Darkfall fanboys?

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

the subject of this game is seriously hilarious. i swear the crap never ends with this game, lol, I dont know who is worse, the fanbois or the detractors. at 6/10 frankly AV devs can shut up now that they no longer garnering a 2/10 or a 3/10. you got your 6/10 now shut up and go improve that squaller  of a game.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• WintersbiteWintersbite Member Posts: 146

As soon as I saw "Darkfall Review" on the front page I knew this thread was going to be good.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

I completely disagree on the avoiding DF is your a casual or solo player. I play solo currently and have a ball, as for the casual part, that all depends on whether you want it all and you want it now, people overlook that MMO's can be played for years, UO being the prime example where players still play after 11yrs!

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Hammertime1

As others have noted, the fans of DF will just add yet another "condition" to a review, until they get the numbers they like.
    First it was "the reviewer didn't play long enough"
    Now it's "the reviewer has to grade it from a "niche" standpoint".
    < shrug >
    Ayep... However, note that you'll never see the same scrutiny or moving goal-posts from the rabid fans when it's a good score. The reviewer could be from a brand-new site that no one's heard of, could get every detail factually wrong and have only played for 30 minutes. As long as it still got a good score, the rabid fans would say it's an accurate and credible review. The content of the review is ultimately of no consequence to them either way. So long as the final score is good enough for them, they'll treat it like gospel. If it's a low score, they'll tear it apart.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• wyrdaskolirwyrdaskolir Member UncommonPosts: 563

One or two people start saying why the reviewer didn't like the game that much and then you start calling all of us who play the game rabid fanboys. How about once someone attacks DF all of you are labeled as rabid trolls.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by wyrdaskolir

One or two people start saying why the reviewer didn't like the game that much and then you start calling all of us who play the game rabid fanboys. How about once someone attacks DF all of you are labeled as rabid trolls.

Newsflash: we've been labeled 'trolls" from the very beginning. Keep up with the program if you intend to debate, please.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,976

that would be a change?

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• DemonshankDemonshank Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by Pocahinha

6 is the score mmorpg gave to the game...

If all mmorpg users would agree with the score i would cut my balls out and eat them ..full of joy

Everyone STOP your shit!

Pocahinha has a real proposition we should not ignore.

Seriously, who are we to stand in the way of this mans wish?

Lets all agree for the betterment of this discussion and move on to this guy cutting his balls out and eating them.

Please, lets make this happen. Thanks Pocahinha, cannot wait to hear how it ends.

• imortalisimortalis Member UncommonPosts: 27

/fist in the air. Damn you Sean Bulger. :)

Couldn't he have written something about the sieges he was in & naval combat he was a part of? Not saying a word on those things raises some doubts about any quality game time this guy had. An answer on his part would clearify a lot, not that he gives a shit.

To all the darkfall haters; do you guys think it's too much to ask for a reviewer to write something about his experience with the major features in any game.

• ButterballButterball Member UncommonPosts: 39

Well, speaking as somebody who has known Sean for a number of years, I can safely say as long as its not WoW he's reviewing - you can generally trust him...lol

Originally posted by imortalis

Couldn't he have written something about the sieges he was in & naval combat he was a part of? Not saying a word on those things raises some doubts about any quality game time this guy had. An answer on his part would clearify a lot, not that he gives a shit.
     To all the darkfall haters; do you guys think it's too much to ask for a reviewer to write something about his experience with the major features in any game.

Can naval combat be considered a major feature? I know flying boats are cool and all though. But do enough clans have boats to have that. Havent seen to many videos posted by anyone other than afghan.

You get the point though! And just because there's no vids doesn't mean there's no ships.

Since you're reviewing for MMORPG.com ask AV for a damn ship & navigate it around. Go fire some canons at a city. Build a house or something. Ask AV to show you & have you be part of the village system. Navigate those hovering siege engines & go burn some walls or the house you just built. then review the game

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

For what it's worth, in case that was aimed at me at all...

There are a select few that I consider "rabid fans", and I think it's pretty well known who they are around here - they're the ones who refuse to acknowledge any flaws with the game, or those behind it. They're the ones who will spin, lie, obfuscate, change their arguments and contradict themselves as often as necessary to defend it from any and all scrutiny or criticism, at all cost.

Not everyone who plays and enjoys the game does that, so no, I don't consider anyone who plays the game a rabid fanboy.

Just wanted to clarify that :)

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Can naval combat be considered a major feature? I know flying boats are cool and all though. But do enough clans have boats to have that. Havent seen to many videos posted by anyone other than afghan.

You get the point though! And just because there's no vids doesn't mean there's no ships.

Since you're reviewing for MMORPG.com ask AV for a damn ship & navigate it around. Go fire some canons at a city. Build a house or something. Ask AV to show you & have you be part of the village system. Navigate those hovering siege engines & go burn some walls or the house you just built. then review the game

What makes you think they even told Tasos and Aventurine that he was there to review the game? I think I'd prefer to have Tasos far away from any reviewer while they're ingame. Especially considering his apparent social instability.

I see your point but to this point AV has seemed fairly reluctant to do things for reviewers. Also it might unfairly bias the review.

Ask & it shall be given you. I haven't heard from any reviewers, we asked but they didn't help us. There's nothing unfair about, "here, test drive this hovering Mad Max contraption" & let peeps know how you felt about it.

I see your point but to this point AV has seemed fairly reluctant to do things for reviewers. Also it might unfairly bias the review.

Ask & it shall be given you. I haven't heard from any reviewers, we asked but they didn't help us. There's nothing unfair about, "here, test drive this hovering Mad Max contraption" & let peeps know how you felt about it.

The last thing anyone making an impartial review is going to do is tell the population they're a reviewer. Because then the pop is going to go out of there way to give the best impression possible, rather than the truth. Which effectively makes the review pointless.

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

Rather than focusing on one review, Darkfall is a game that needs many reviews to be taken into consideration. Considering this the ratings can range from 20/100 to 80/100, implying that this is a game highly Dependant on the person playing it. Is it any surprise then that this review says exactly that, that it is for a specific "niche" audience.

Sry Zorban, I don't know you, but that's 1 of the most retarded posts in this thread. What kinda logic is that?