Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is LOTRO rated number one on mmorpg.com and yet never mentioned in threads?

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by Ihmotepp

LOTRO doesn't really have any innovative features

I disagree. I also think most of you do not understand who turbine is, and how much they have defined this genre.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216
    Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

Cause Turbine fanbois are crazy. Remember when there was that site doing the vote for the best developer and Turbine beat everyone from Bethesda to Valve to Blizzard and Bioware lol........ Lotro is crap with a nasty UI, bad animations, ugly character models, boring combat, boring classes and no PVP worth mentioning.

However thats how the rating system goes, it's not the best mmorpg out there but a list of least hated by the "hardcore" lol. For example Lotro flys under the radar by most haters and yet WoW is uber hated because it's popular.

I'd have to agree. I played LOTRO for almost two years (a great guild kept me logging in) but its really no better then most of the other MMOs on the market. One thing it has going for it is a huge tolkien following who continue to make the game out for something it isnt. Sure LOTRO has updates regularily and its fairly polished (once bugs are taken care of) but since leaving I've realized that if it wasnt Middle Earth I would have left long ago. Turbine is brilliant for picking a world such as Middle Earth to build on so I'm thankfull I'm no longer paying them monthly. I'm no longer suckered into their genious scheme, I'll just read the books if I want a LOTR fix. :-)

As far as it getting a high rating here, it beats me because the characters are horrible compared to other MMOs I've played. I guess someone working at MMORPG.com is a big tolkien fan? Either way dont let the ratings here fool you. My favorite MMO isnt even near the top of the list and its far better then the rest IMO. 

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• jus10datljus10datl Member Posts: 45

I think its all a scam. I tried LOTRO when it came out with my brother. I showed it off to my RL friends that I played WoW with as well. Everyone said it was identical to WoW minus a few changes(mostly good, some bad). To make the story short I went back to WoW with all my friends and brother... But my theory is this game was the closest to success of an actual better-than-WoW-for-the-masses type of game. For some reason everyone bashes WoW although it has more subscribers than any other American made game... and well if WoW was started in China with the only change is an anime face on every character... it would be the number one game in the world.

So this being the closest game to besting the Heavy Weight Champion MMO(without actually beating them in any sales) is glorified to the WoW haters of this website that are probably just angry girlfriends of WoW players.

Is LOTRO better than WoW? Let the subscribers answer that(which far outweigh the voices of your LOTRO subs).

Is WoW the best game ever? No, just the best commercial MMO which technically makes it number 1... not LOTRO.

Originally posted by Bursche

Originally posted by natuxatu

Yeah LotRO is solid though nothing worth talking about really. I've been starting to get a little bored with it now that I got into the 30s but I agree that it deserves to be in the top 3.
    As people have said it doesn't generate the hate that WoW has because it's not a trendy fad... but it's also has done everything rather nicely... without giving people much to complain about. All you can really say is that you don't ilke the art style or find the game boring *shrug* 

you are the perfect example for thousends of others. When did you start? 6-7 weeks ago? And already bored...

LOTRO is another wasted license. Nothing more.

Its sad really...I'm huge Tolkien fan so I hope a company tries their hand at Middle Earth again someone in the future. Turbines version was a huge dissapointment for those able to see LOTRO for what it really is.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

I disagree. I also think most of you do not understand who turbine is, and how much they have defined this genre.

Asheron's Call 1 was my first mmo and I stuck with that for about 3 years. I then played AC2 pretty much for the lifespan of that game. So I personally understand who Turbine is and what they've brought to the genre.

However, I cannot stand LotRO. This game is so bland compared to their other mmos. I, like many others, got into the 30s and couldn't keep going. LotRO does have innovative features, such as the gambit system or even their PvMP, but it's not enough to keep many people interested in the game.

Off topic a little bit: I do find it ironic that many features folks ask for in mmorpgs, such as skill based system and soloability, already exist in Asheron's Call 1. I often wonder how different the genre would be if Microsoft would have actually supported AC1.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Kaneth

Asheron's Call 1 was my first mmo and I stuck with that for about 3 years. I then played AC2 pretty much for the lifespan of that game. So I personally understand who Turbine is and what they've brought to the genre.

However, I cannot stand LotRO. This game is so bland compared to their other mmos. I, like many others, got into the 30s and couldn't keep going. LotRO does have innovative features, such as the gambit system or even their PvMP, but it's not enough to keep many people interested in the game.

Off topic a little bit: I do find it ironic that many features folks ask for in mmorpgs, such as skill based system and soloability, already exist in Asheron's Call 1. I often wonder how different the genre would be if Microsoft would have actually supported AC1.

I think you missed the point of Mr. Bloodworth's post.  A lot of the "non innovations" found in LoTRO are things that Turbine invented in the first place.  For example the UI which was basically lifted from AC 2 (and copied by WoW). 

If you've been playing these games long enough to have been around for the heyday of AC, you aren't who he was intending to address.  And you apparently agree that Ihmotepp was mistaken. 

I totally agree with you that AC is underrated.   It's still ten times as innovative as most MMOs on the market, and it was one of the first.   It bugs the crap out of me to see players complain about rigid class based  progression, lack of consequential FFA PvP, and the lack of MMOs with ongoing storylines that affect the evolution of the gameworld when AC has been doing it for nearly a decade. 

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Yeebo

I think you missed the point of Mr. Bloodworth's post.  A lot of the "non innovations" found in LoTRO are things that Turbine invented in the first place.  For example the UI which was basically lifted from AC 2 (and copied by WoW). 

If you've been playing these games long enough to have been around for the heyday of AC, you aren't who he was intending to address.  And you apparently agree that Ihmotepp was mistaken. 

I totally agree with you that AC is underrated.   It's still ten times as innovative as most MMOs on the market, and it was one of the first.   It bugs the crap out of me to see players complain about rigid class based  progression, lack of consequential FFA PvP, and the lack of MMOs with ongoing storylines that affect the evolution of the gameworld when AC has been doing it for nearly a decade. 

Yeah, I was actually agreeing with Mr. Bloodworth, I should have been more clear on that. I was also wanting to drive both his and my points more home a bit more.

Turbine invented so many things within the MMO genre that they receive no credit on. Hell WoW classic before raiding felt a ton like AC2, as you also mentioned.

I guess that's why I was so disappointed in LotRO, because Turbine is capable of doing better. They are constrained by the IP though. So you can't have a class that uses Bees as a weapon in LotRO as you did in AC2. DDO and LotRO were huge let downs to me, as a Turbine fan, because they seemed to have deviated from what made AC1 and AC2 fun games (I actually enjoyed AC2 for what it was).

LotRO totally captured my attention for the first 20 or so levels, very solid game, but it really started to drag on as I got into my 30s.

I guess that's why it isn't mentioned in threads so much. People want to love the game, and many do, but there's also a large portion of us who just can't get past a certain point where the game feels like it's dragging on. The game just doesn't invoke passion.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

but it's not enough to keep many people interested in the game.

Try to speak for yourself. Because reality would disagree with you. It is Ok, for a game to be "Not for you" this does not apply to everyone however.

Turbine also has 2 MMOs in the works.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Try to speak for yourself. Because reality would disagree with you. It is Ok, for a game to be "Not for you" this does not apply to everyone however.

Do you work for Turbine Sir Bloodworthy? because you seem to have a major hardon for LOTRO. LOL

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Seing that your a member of this site since 2005, i'm kinda surprised (well 19 post total, not really) that you are surprised to see LOTRO as number 1 on this site.  We've seen all kind of weird game make it to number 1 on this site.  Their rating system is flawed, peoples who like a game give all 10 rating, other give all 1.   So you endup with a flawed rating like that.   My advice, ignore this site mmo rating.

Originally posted by Ethian

Do you work for Turbine Sir Bloodworthy? because you seem to have a major hardon for LOTRO. LOL

They are one of the best development houses right now, they get much respect from me for this.

Solid game, frequent free updates, excellent CS, solid development pace, and one of the forerunners of the genre, and some of the most talented artists around..

----------

How are you?" -Me

• CartographyCartography Member UncommonPosts: 331

They are one of the best development houses right now, they get much respect from me for this.

Solid game, frequent free updates, excellent CS, solid development pace, and one of the forerunners of the genre, and some of the most talented artists around..

Frequent updates? 2 updates in 7 months = frequent? Excellent cutscenes? Oh, you must mean the 30 seconds of in-game footage after each book... yeah, real amazing /rollseyes. Forerunner of the genre? Hardly. Most talented artists? Maybe environment, but characters still look disabled and spindly... those hat/helmet designers in the game are amazing, don't you just love headgear that gives you a bald head and removes all your hair?... but hey, to each their own.  "Solid development pace"? What an empty and vague description, but I'm not surprised seeing that we're talking about LoTRO and Turbine here...

Its great you think so but theres no need to walk all over others voicing their opitions. Your no better then anyone else posting here Sir. LOTRO lost many fans because of the recent end-game content...how does that make them the forerunners of the genre. Makes em slightly dense if you ask me.

I just re-subbed to see whats become of LOTRO since Moria's release. My hope is new content has made end-game better. If it isnt, I'm outy like many others who were turned off after playing LOTRO since launch.

Its great you think so but theres no need to walk all over others voicing their opitions. Your no better then anyone else posting here Sir. LOTRO lost many fans because of the recent end-game content...how does that make them the forerunners of the genre. Makes em slightly dense if you ask me.

I just re-subbed to see whats become of LOTRO since Moria's release. My hope is new content has made end-game better. Only time will tell.

Show me where I walked all over someone? I simply stated, that people need to speak for themselves, and not "Everyone" "people" "players". Your doing the same thing.

You may need to look up forerunner.

----------

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by logicbox9

Frequent updates? 2 updates in 7 months = frequent? Excellent cutscenes? Oh, you must mean the 30 seconds of in-game footage after each book... yeah, real amazing /rollseyes. Forerunner of the genre? Hardly. Most talented artists? Maybe environment, but characters still look disabled and spindly... those hat/helmet designers in the game are amazing, don't you just love headgear that gives you a bald head and removes all your hair?... but hey, to each their own.  "Solid development pace"? What an empty and vague description, but I'm not surprised seeing that we're talking about LoTRO and Turbine here...

I think you failed to comprehend anything I posted. I also think you are having a hard time with perspective, and confusing your personal opinion with reality.

Most of what you wrote, has nothing to do with what I said, yet you flamed me for things you created anyway.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I think you failed to comprehend anything I posted. I also think you are having a hard time with perspective, and confusing your personal opinion with reality.

Most of what you wrote, has nothing to do with what I said, yet you flamed me for things you created anyway.

I wouldn't pay much attention to Logicbox.  He likes to stick his head into the forum and post "LoTRO is teh suxxors!  RAWRR!!" every few weeks.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• kiddyno071kiddyno071 Member Posts: 1,330

I enjoy the game, been in since the first closed beta, and while it is not perfect I thin it is a solid game.  It is not and PvP game and even though it has PvMP; it is a solid PvE game and the world is beautiful and feels huge.  I do wish Turbine would put some time in tweaking the player models.. but on ultra high setting things just pop.

I really have a hard time wrapping my head around statements that folks make about the game being boring around the 30's?!?  Is that when other games have clowns with seltzer bottles... 

Misunderstood what you wrote? Hardly. I'm just responding to your claim  that lotro has frequent updates, excellent cutscenes, something about development pace... amazing artists, etc. You are the one who failed to comprehend what I said. Also, just because one has a different idea of what your statements mean does not make him a troll :) Just because I don't post in every LoTRO thread doesn't mean I do not read them... I offer my opinion when I feel like it, and I'll debate someone who I think is incorrect... even if it's a fruitless debate, I'll still jaw jack about it.

Bloodworth, I know you are huge Turbine fanboi... but I think it's pretty hilarious that you go around acting like your opinion = reality. Pot. Kettle. Black.

Originally posted by Yeebo

I wouldn't pay much attention to Logicbox.  He likes to stick his head into the forum and post "LoTRO is teh suxxors!  RAWRR!!" every few weeks.

I pay attention to you though, since most of the stuff you spew is praise for a horrid developer,  i FEEL the need to chime in... but thanks for trolling.

Misunderstood what you wrote? Hardly. I'm just responding to your claim  that lotro has frequent updates, excellent cutscenes, something about development pace... amazing artists, etc. You are the one who failed to comprehend what I said. Also, just because one has a different idea of what your statements mean does not make him a troll :) Just because I don't post in every LoTRO thread doesn't mean I do not read them... I offer my opinion when I feel like it, and I'll debate someone who I think is incorrect... even if it's a fruitless debate, I'll still jaw jack about it.

Bloodworth, I know you are huge Turbine fanboi... but I think it's pretty hilarious that you go around acting like your opinion = reality. Pot. Kettle. Black.

Considering you went on to talk about cut scenes, when I was talking about Customer Service (a common abbreviation). I think you did not comprehend anything.

Your right, a different opinion does not make some one a troll, however, misunderstanding (intentional, or through ignorance), then implying an incorrect, or derogatory meaning, and flaming someone for it, does.

• Yes, Turbine does frequent updates that at times dwarf other studios expansions in terms of scope. (Books; Pre and post MoM, not even including regular updates.)
    • The pace of development is simply faster than any other development house that uses a comparable tech.
    • Customer Service is fast, and is not outsourced.
    • Turbine has gotten many awards for its environment, but the technical execution of every single asset in the game from the basis of style, execution and professionalism is top notch. It is constantly talked about across many outlets, not just gaming forums.
    • Turbine is one of the godfathers of the MMO genre, as has defined it more than you apparently know, or realize and continues to do so.

So again, you clearly did not understand a word I said. I sometimes forget I need two write slowly, and make sure I write an essay on every word used in a post around here. So, my apologies for assuming a level of knowledge and critical thinking on the part of readers.

So, now what? Can i expect an intelligent discussion from you, or shall we just keep to attacking each other? You pick.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

He's got a point on the updates. AC their original game that is still running gets updated monthly, new content bug fixes etc every single month. That means every month they're giving you more quests to run for no extra cost. That's better then any other game out there.

LotRO has a ton of free updates/books. Much more often then other games out there.

DDO had been having lots of updates, but then there wasn't an update for a while and the announcement came out that that time had been spent changing the game to a f2p model and all the work it entailed.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

As a founder with a lifetime sub, I also don't play anymore. Don't get me wrong...the game is fine, the storyline is fine, the gameplay is fine...but...playing the game just feels, well, tedious. It is the only word I can think of to describe it.

Every once in a while I think about logging on and playing, but then that feeling comes back and  I stop and play something else.

Originally posted by cfurlin

As a founder with a lifetime sub, I also don't play anymore. Don't get me wrong...the game is fine, the storyline is fine, the gameplay is fine...but...playing the game just feels, well, tedious. It is the only word I can think of to describe it.
    Every once in a while I think about logging on and playing, but then that feeling comes back and  I stop and play something else.

You should come back and try the two new revamped zones.

OH! that's right. Turbine doesn't update/fix/or improve old content (Especially while adding a whole new zone or revamping the entire crafting system and adding 5 player requested features, and 4 new instances) and if they did, it would only take them about 30 minutes and one cup of caffeine.. (Sarcasm)

----------

How are you?" -Me

• kiddyno071kiddyno071 Member Posts: 1,330
    Originally posted by cfurlin

Just curious... how much did you play before quiting... you know in any given day, week, month?  What I have often found with many of my friends and even myself that when you play and play and play I think it is natural to get bored.  I have found by balancing my gaming time with R makes gaming more fun and I find myself eger to play again.  I am a founder with lifetime sub and just dinged my main lvl 60 a few days ago.