Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NeoSteam: NeoSteam Review

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

MMORPG.com reviewer Carolyn Koh takes a look this week at NeoSteam, the "steampunk" offering from the folks at Atlus.

NeoSteam  Screen

Neo Steam: The Shattered Continent developed by Hanbitsoft and Joy Impact and published by Atlus Online in the US market, is billed as a fantasy Steampunk MMORPG. That unfortunately is where it breaks down. Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction combining science and magic, set in an era where steam power was still in use - most often Victorian England in the time of the alternate Industrial Revolution - hence the "Steam" in Steampunk. It is an era of imaginary technological advances or advances of the "path not taken" of dirigibles and jet packs.

Read the NeoSteam Review

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Awesome review carol, I played neosteam since it's beta launch and also share alot of the same views about the game as you wrote. For me Neo Steam lost steam very quickly and couldn't hold my intereest for very long. In my "humble" opinion there is better games in the F2P space than Neo Steam, I would recommend even Runes of Magic if anyone is looking for a fantasy Hack'N'Slash.

• CarolynKohCarolynKoh Staff WriterMember Posts: 202

Thanks, Inktomi.  I have to admit, I very much wanted to like it. The graphics are soft as a baby's bottom but looks pretty and the cutscenes are quite beautiful, however the nifty machines (luuurved the mechanical squirrel in WoW) doesn't quite make up for the lacks.

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com or its management.

• jared626jared626 Member Posts: 6

Somehow I still don't get what a "Steampunk Game" should play or look like to others, but is it because that there are trees and grass the reason why games like these are not considered "steampunk" enough?

Is it because the entire world does not look like huge dilapidated factories brimming with cogwheels, rivets, and covered in perpetual steam that it is not steampunk?

I have always wondered about these since, steampunk in my head is just a matter of technological level and design.

ie: you don't get to see lazer guns, and spaceships, or gaspowered cars, or nuclear bombs, electrical devices are at a minimum, computing devices are still at their infancy, and people have the habbit of over-accessorizing everything with rust colored trinkets.

How much steampunk elements are necessary for anything to be considered as steampunk?