Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Performance Question -

ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

I've read a lot of reviews and post from this forum and the main forum about performance issues. Is it really still that bad? I thought the developers have fixed this and is not working on new contents?

I played when it first came out and quit due to the performance issues and how everything was so buggy.

I personally have a Geforce 9800 gtx card but my friend on the other hand is running on thsoe prebuilt in laptop crap the intel blah blah?? he did the performance test online and it said he can run the game but I don't realy believe it from the screenshots I've seen.

Comments

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Post your entire rig.  Generally, anything 2-years or newer is going to run it fine.  VG is very processor intensive and a dual-core really helps a lot.

You can try Isle of Dawn for free and check it out.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

I have AMD X2 3800/2Gb/8800GT and performance on balanced settings is mediocre at best. 20-30 fps in wilderness with some hitching, below 15 in big cities and crowded areas. Need to lower settings to minimum in NT to be able to move

• LunicurLunicur Member Posts: 51

I run it on medium at about 25-30 fps out adventuring and about 15-20 fps in cities. My laptop has a core 2 duo 1.8ghz processor, a geforce 7600 GO! card and 2gb of ram running on vista.

• objeffobjeff Member UncommonPosts: 97

I run at 30-40 fps open and about 15-20 in town on high settings.

Intel quad core 2.4 / 4gig ram / 512 gforce 9800

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

ah i have what objeff has geforce gtx 9800, 8gb memory ram, and duo oc to about 3.0 ghz

but my friend with laptops intel video card iono how that is going to work out.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by ozerinx

ah i have what objeff has geforce gtx 9800, 8gb memory ram, and duo oc to about 3.0 ghz

but my friend with laptops intel video card iono how that is going to work out.

In your case it is no trouble but for your friend... Get him to download the free trial and see if he can run the game at all...

Laptops are rarely good for gaming.

Of course it seems to matter which OS you have too, it seems like it runs a lot better in XP than with Vista.

The game runs a lot better than at launch but the min reqs are a lot higher than Wow. Your friend might have to play an older game, like Wow or Guildwars instead.

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

ah damn, anyone here running Vanguard on intel video card like the 128mb ones i think. Is it playable on lowest setting or its still skippy?

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Well, I have a 2.5 years old 5 GHz dual core AMD CPU (no idea what name), 2 GB main memory, and a 512 MB graphics card (GeForce 7950). Outside of cities and raids I can usually run max settings and program runs smoothly.

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

The best advice is to try it.  It seems to run differently for different computers so it is hard to predict.  There is also a certain amount of user tollerance that comes into play.  The game isn't 100% smooth as it seems to build caches or load data from disk when you are just starting up and/or in a new area.  During this load time it is going to hit fps and will be kinda hitchy and sluggish.  I think the factor here is what your hard disk speed is....  So a notebook will have a much worse time then a desktop because notbook notoriously have crappy slow disks.

Anyway after this disk i/o loading period which tends to last while you load textures in a new area it will smooth out.   Maybe things like cpu memory or vid card memory might be a factor on how long it stays smooth.  I generally find that for me hitching is a 3-4 seconds and usually cuts my fps in half.  So playing on max in the starter island area I'll log in and it will be around 10-20 fps for a few seconds then as I move around it climbs up to 30-40 and mostly stays in that area or sometimes higher.  In Kahl and Tursh, two areas where there is a heavy performnance hti I'm usually between 25-35.  I'm running vista 64 with 4gb ram.  I have a quad core intel cpu and a gtx 8800 vid card.  I definitely get better fps in VG then I do in EQ2.

One other thing that seems to have a big impact on performance for some people is sound.  Yeah not very intuitive but some motherboard sound drivers are crap.   I know that some people have found turning sound off to cause a big increase in fps.  I didn't have this problem although that might be because I had the problem in titan quest.  In titan quest my default mb sound drivers were killing my fps in that game.  After a week of mucking around I found some drivers from the sound chip manufacturer that I was able to get to work and they seemed to fix my problems.  When I went through this I don't think I was playing VG so I don't know if it would have been a problem.

My wifes computer is a amd dual core, I think 5000 black edition, she has 4gb ram, and an amd 3750.  She plays VG on her computer and I've observed that the hitching lasts longer on her computer.  For her it might be 15 seconds or more and the frame rate during this time is like 5-15, barely usable and this is on balanced settings.  After the initial hitching it picks up and sits around 25-35 which is playable.  Here initial feel on playing the game during the trial this month however was the game is too laggy to play.  However she played a couple more times for longer periods and concluded that it was ok it just had a starting period where it was laggy.

---
    Ethion

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by ozerinx

I've read a lot of reviews and post from this forum and the main forum about performance issues. Is it really still that bad? I thought the developers have fixed this and is not working on new contents?
    I played when it first came out and quit due to the performance issues and how everything was so buggy.

I personally have a Geforce 9800 gtx card but my friend on the other hand is running on thsoe prebuilt in laptop crap the intel blah blah?? he did the performance test online and it said he can run the game but I don't realy believe it from the screenshots I've seen.

The game does run way better than it did at launch, but a lot of people still stuffer from the stuttering problem, including myself, and I've got a gtx 295, i7 920 overclocked and 8 gb ram.  Still pretty buggy game to be honest, but again, much better than at launch.