Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: MMO Underbelly: Progress In Open Chat?

Comments

• delateurdelateur Member Posts: 156

Originally posted by Auton
    I really wish you'd take a less confrontational tone, Zorvan. We're really not disagreeing a lot here, and you do have some good points. We should be able to discuss these things amicably, I think.

That's why so many discussions that turn into debates end up just being poorly constructed arguments that serve only to wrap a personal insult. It's not so much that we don't have good points (as both you and Zorvan certainly do), but that we consider our opinions to be extensions of ourselves. An attack on our position is an attack on us (and often times when someone disputes our position, there's some sort of attack on our character thrown in as well to get our easily-bruised egos into the mix). Look, for instance, at how far from discriminatory comments we have come. Affirmative action? Okay... interesting subject, but not, I think, as interesting as something simple (word choice) affecting how we view the world and each other (through the use of discriminatory words that originate from thoughtless, uneducated, or truly prejudiced mindsets). We naturally are going into the history of our lives to try to draw forth the reasoning behind our attitudes which shape the way we speak to one another, but more often than not it's just a defense mechanism rather than true introspection that calls those attitudes into question.

I'm not sure of the intent of either one of you at this point, but it is definitely starting to look more like a battle of wills than a broadening of awareness.

• TuxedoSLYTuxedoSLY Ultima Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by kalagaraz

Originally posted by jakojako

Honestly, i don't understand why people get so easily offended (especially over games). Oh someone said nigger, big deal, I hear it in real life more often than i do in any game. Same with gay, retard, and many other "offensive" words.
    Come on, I know according to the article people told you this, but the chat censor is there in EVERY mmo for a reason. Use it if you can't handle what people say. Don't throw a hissy-fit just because someone said a word.

Exactly. You may not like the word, but that doesn't mean you should ban all other people from using it. They probably arn't even using it in the same context as you (as in my example of Gay in my previous post).  Part of playing a MMO (which is global) is the understanding of other peoples cultures and backgrounds. Not forcing yours on them. If people like article writer ran the world we'd still be having holy crusades.

Not even touching the ignorance in thinking using terms like "gay" in a derogatory sense is demeaning and insulting. I will however merely state that talk like that in an OOC channel, while disgusting, is optional and you don't have to listen to it. Unfortunately thats where freedom of speech comes in and allows any dumbass to say any dumbass thing they want.

Now, if the same thing was said in an RP channel, or in game on an RP server, then its perfectly OK for that person to be tarred, feathered, and banned. In game isn't about "my generation," you're playing a character and that character wouldn't say things that wouldn't be appropriate for the time. And I'm not talking about everyone has to say "Thou" and "Art" in every sentence. You can speak properly without sounding like you're in Hamlet.  But it's an RP server. Act like it. I'm looking at you, WoW.

And just like people who say "Don't like it, don't listen to OOC chat" would comment, if you don't like it, don't play on an RP server. There are plenty of PVP/PvE/Pissing Contest servers for you to muck around in.

God forbid they actually ever enforced the rules on servers with an RP ruleset. The population would probably drop faster than Sarah Palin's chances of a presidential bid.

• jakojakojakojako Member Posts: 332
    Originally posted by TuxedoSLY

Honestly, i don't understand why people get so easily offended (especially over games). Oh someone said nigger, big deal, I hear it in real life more often than i do in any game. Same with gay, retard, and many other "offensive" words.
    Come on, I know according to the article people told you this, but the chat censor is there in EVERY mmo for a reason. Use it if you can't handle what people say. Don't throw a hissy-fit just because someone said a word.

Exactly. You may not like the word, but that doesn't mean you should ban all other people from using it. They probably arn't even using it in the same context as you (as in my example of Gay in my previous post).  Part of playing a MMO (which is global) is the understanding of other peoples cultures and backgrounds. Not forcing yours on them. If people like article writer ran the world we'd still be having holy crusades.

Not even touching the ignorance in thinking using terms like "gay" in a derogatory sense is demeaning and insulting. I will however merely state that talk like that in an OOC channel, while disgusting, is optional and you don't have to listen to it. Unfortunately thats where freedom of speech comes in and allows any dumbass to say any dumbass thing they want.

Now, if the same thing was said in an RP channel, or in game on an RP server, then its perfectly OK for that person to be tarred, feathered, and banned. In game isn't about "my generation," you're playing a character and that character wouldn't say things that wouldn't be appropriate for the time. And I'm not talking about everyone has to say "Thou" and "Art" in every sentence. You can speak properly without sounding like you're in Hamlet.  But it's an RP server. Act like it. I'm looking at you, WoW.

And just like people who say "Don't like it, don't listen to OOC chat" would comment, if you don't like it, don't play on an RP server. There are plenty of PVP/PvE/Pissing Contest servers for you to muck around in.

God forbid they actually ever enforced the rules on servers with an RP ruleset. The population would probably drop faster than Sarah Palin's chances of a presidential bid.

What if you're RP'ing a slave master?

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by TuxedoSLY

What if you're RP'ing a slave master?

Well, when there's an MMO based on early American history...then I guess it would be appropriate (though still a clarion of the ignorant and low-brow). As for these "fantasy" worlds of current, I'd highly doubt such lexicon is invented. The slurs, for those adamant about carrying that banner, would have been based on the lore of that particular world.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• AutonAuton Member Posts: 48

Freedom of speech... That means that you can say whatever you please (within certain sensible limits) and the government can't fine you, imprison you, or otherwise punish you for it. That really is all.

Basically, it means that you're allowed to talk smack, but I'm allowed to consider you an asshole for it, too. ;)

• Raithe-NorRaithe-Nor Member Posts: 315

Part of understanding and empathizing with other people is knowing that we aren't, actually, all one big happy family.  We can talk about the nature of particular words and the emotional baggage they carry until we are blue in the face, it will serve no practical purpose.  While certainly some of these words are used simply as expressions of speech, many times they are used for precisely the reason that many posters in this thread abhor:  enmity and dislike of others.  Note that words are not needed to accomplish such acts of "bigotry" and malice - actions work even better, especially in the 3D game environments of modern MMOs.

And because I understand this, I can refrain from censoring my brother in a misguided attempt to cripple my antagonist.

Yet I also have a dream, a dream where characters and sentient beings of many types live in a simpler time where continual interaction with antagonists is not necessary, or involves a much less complicated approach.  I call this dream "fantasy," and MMORPGs used to be one of the vehicles of my daydreaming.  People with similar dreams used to join me there, and we interacted in a way where the terms "politically correct" and "bigoted" really had no meaning.  The question that haunts me now is, why has this dream of mine died?

The not-so-secret truth of the MMO underbelly is that as long as people who have intense dislike for one another are paying to play the same game, the interactions involved will continue to uphold hatred, malice, and the offending language deemed necessary to convey them.

• wootinwootin Member Posts: 259

Anyone notice that it's always the PvP-centric games that are overflowing with vile crap? I quit Eve Online after taking an hours-long tour through .5 and up space, reading the chat logs and finding that 2/3 of the zones had scumbags broadcasting slimy sh8 in open chat.

I tried out CoH and for the heck of it, made a char on both RP and non-RP servers just to see the difference. The non-RP server had some questionable crud (female characters made like sluts and named for sex acts, etc.) and the chat had moderate idiocy in it. However, the RP server was the nicest, most game-play focused server I'd ever seen, with self-policing all over the place. Characters with dirty names were gone the next day, nothing bad was allowed to happen in open chat without player warnings and mass reports if it continued. Although I can't RP at all, it was great to play there.

Later I played LOTRO (non-RP server) and found the same thing as the RP CoH server- a very cool set of people who were just there to play the game, and had no problem policing out those who were there to cause trouble.

I think that's actually key - people who PvP see the game as an instrument to interfere with other people's gameplay, whereas people who PvE are there to play the game itself. And RP people subsume their own characters into those of their character, further restricting their behavior in chat to that which contributes to the game.

Not sure about the PvP RP people though, but my guess is real PvP'rs think the RP ones are "gay" anyways lol.

• wootinwootin Member Posts: 259

Freedom of speech... That means that you can say whatever you please (within certain sensible limits) and the government can't fine you, imprison you, or otherwise punish you for it. That really is all.
    Basically, it means that you're allowed to talk smack, but I'm allowed to consider you an asshole for it, too. ;)

Actually, it only means that the government can't do anything. Anyone else can. And the government isn't allowed to interfere with that because that is also an exercise of free speech ;)

• wolffinwolffin Member UncommonPosts: 193

I have a question. If he had been calling a person of European decent a "cracker" would they have been banned with in 2 minutes?

• badgererbadgerer Member Posts: 90

Thanks Sanya, another great article.

Wasn't it Southpark that sort of re-popularized the casual derogatory use of "gay?" For them, it worked, because they were having a go at the culture which had created the kids who said it. Since Southpark fans then re-appropriated it, they bled out any kind of irony and now while the word doesn't carry the same degree of hatred that it did say back in the eighties, its almost worse with the casuality its slung about with. 

As one of the posters said, its all about context. The kind of swearing you read in online games has become more offensive for me in recent years because it describes a culture of ignorance and misanthropy which, through the anonymity of the web, has been allowed to thrive. 

Always nice to see someone railing against it. And in the case of this article, great to hear of at least one occaision where there's a ray of hope.

• delateurdelateur Member Posts: 156

Originally posted by wolffin
    I have a question. If he had been calling a person of European decent a "cracker" would they have been banned with in 2 minutes?

Probably not, because the history behind that word is very different, the flipside of the coin, as it were. A word used to reject those who oppress is very different from a word used to reinforce oppression, don't you agree?

• Tingtong1Tingtong1 Member UncommonPosts: 22

Sanya, It's funny to see someone with a stereotypical attitude about MMO player's opinionate grammer from a 12yr old retard and write a column about it..

The best part is while your snickering and passing CSR tickets to your buddies the customers with real game mechanic issues get stonewalled by what you call "Customer Service"  Would be nice to actually see a CSR fix an issue instead of getting the standard response of "No we can't help you, and Have a Nice Day" but we all know those escalated tickets with REAL problems are a higher paygrade then what you were doing. Everyone knows your Job was a glorified retard filter so I can see why these types of columns probably come up a LOT.

I know after so many years of having prepubescent teens groveling at your feet it's actually hard for you to believe that someone would actually submit a Bug Report and not care what you do with it. But it DOES happen. It happens because unlike the basement dwelers your used to associating with, they probably won't be playing your BUG infested game for longer then 8 months to see it get resolved.

PS. LOTRO community is full of over emotional women/men who need to plug and get laid or  jump off a bridge IRL. and no I didn't submit the ticket incase your wondering :)

• kaydinvkaydinv Member Posts: 208

Zorvan/kalagaraz win.

As much as I like what they are trying to stand for, the people going against Zorvan sound like ignorant, immature morons that think they're figured out something in life that they really haven't.

Saying "Nigger" in some situations might be perfectly acceptable and completely offensive in others. This is true with all potentially offensive words. It's knowing when a word has an alternative meaning to your audience and when it is acceptable to use it in that sense, that is important. Banning the use altogether is a sign of immaturity or narrow-mindedness above anything else, not maturity

It's always fun seeing self-proclaimed "mature adults" reveal their binary view to the world. Life isn't rendered in black and whit. Other shades lay inbetween....sing with me!

• KirinRahlKirinRahl Member UncommonPosts: 159

I am all about people getting banned for being abusive, disruptive bastards when it comes to being on MMORPGs.  I'm even okay with folks getting banned if all they do is get online and let out strings of curse words miles wide.

The trouble I have with MMOs these days, and it -really has- just started being a problem with me, is cursing.

Basically every MMORPG and other game of its class has got some variety of rule that bans cursing in a public forum, which I find absolutely ridiculous.  Partially, this has to do with the fact that cursing is a part of my language; I was brought up talking that way, and for better or worse, swearing works its way into my conversations even when they're polite and at ease.  When I'm ripping into someone, as a rule, I'll do it with no cursing at all, as I feel that adding curse words to an otherwise perfectly legitimate argument (I don't rip into someone without having reason to) lightens the blow; my imagery gets better when I don't curse, although I'm perfectly happy with it if I'm not aggravated.

That said, I also police myself relatively well.  Whereas most people who are poster-children for anti-Internet-swearing will go anywhere from the simple 'fuk u' in General chat to the outright lengthy strings of obscenities and racial or sexual slurs without any particular thread or narrative involved, I have a tendency to be at least remotely friendly when I swear.

My best example for the moment would be on the beta for the new, free DDO.  I said something along the lines of 'You are a fuckin' rockstar, man!' after a friend had pulled me out of a nasty situation, and woke up the next day to find myself banned.

Just a week or so earlier I was on Warhammer Online, and I'd cursed a few times that day, but the real clincher was when the guild leader of one of my server's biggest guilds make a few ridiculously poor, reckless decisions that ended up costing him his entire force; he wiped twice on a force just a little over half his size because he was doing something flagrantly wrong.  I told him so, not gently but without cursing, and suggested a course of action which he could take to improve.  He took that course of action, and reported me for the curses uttered hours earlier, which got me a ban.  It was later confirmed by one of his guildmates that he did it not because I had cursed and he was insulted (and, by the way, the profanity filter in WAR is on by default and you -must- turn it off to hear profanity) but rather because I had made him look like an idiot in front of his guild, and he didn't like it.

That was my first ban, to be followed within two weeks by two -more- bans from two entirely separate games... one of which I was banned for -directly copying and pasting from NPC text-.

I have not changed my speaking habits (indeed, I curse less now than ever) and these are the first three violation bans I have had in literally over a decade of playing online games, from MUDs to UO to Asheron's Call and onwards to the present.

MMORPG.com's got a great profanity rule, I think; the occasional 'bad word' is fine, says the Code of Conduct, but swear-laden threads and profanity-filled rants are not.  That's great.  That's the rule I'd like to happen in -every- game, because it would keep the twelve-year-olds who just learned all their curses in line, and keep folks like me, an older guy with a propensity towards using foul language for emphasis rather than attack, relatively safe.

Sadly, that is not the case.  Zero-tolerance policies being the Thing To Do lately, we're ending up with a 'cleaner' Internet at the expense of guys like me.  I sometimes find solace with the occasional GM that understands the difference between a cursing row and a swear used in normal, calm speech.  For the most part, however, GMs say 'the rules are the rules' and just toss me right off the Internet.

More power to you, I guess, but I find that picking on folks who -use- rather than -abuse- curses simply because we do some of the things the kiddies do... well, a little unfair, I suppose.  Such is the case with any policy that says 'This Thing Is Not Allowed'.

It makes me sad, but people think it's the only way.

That -also- makes me sad.

• AutonAuton Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by kaydinv

Saying "Nigger" in some situations might be perfectly acceptable and completely offensive in others.

Tell me of one situation in which I, with my pale skin, could say said n-bomb and it would be acceptable. I sure as sin can't think of one. If the situation where it would be acceptable is "the speaker is possessed of a high melanin-count", then there's something very wrong about the whole argument, there.

As well, you undermine your own argument by calling your opponents immature and the like. This does not make it more likely anyone will take you seriously. Insulting people is not a great way to get them to listen.

KirinRahl: You illustrate some serious issues, there. Zero-tolerance policies tend to cause more problems than they help, and banning someone for praising another player emphatically seems, well, extremely dumb. A more sensible attitude towards the use of language in general might behoove these companies.

Originally posted by KirinRahl

I am all about people getting banned for being abusive, disruptive bastards when it comes to being on MMORPGs.  I'm even okay with folks getting banned if all they do is get online and let out strings of curse words miles wide.
    The trouble I have with MMOs these days, and it -really has- just started being a problem with me, is cursing.
    Basically every MMORPG and other game of its class has got some variety of rule that bans cursing in a public forum, which I find absolutely ridiculous.  Partially, this has to do with the fact that cursing is a part of my language; I was brought up talking that way, and for better or worse, swearing works its way into my conversations even when they're polite and at ease.  When I'm ripping into someone, as a rule, I'll do it with no cursing at all, as I feel that adding curse words to an otherwise perfectly legitimate argument (I don't rip into someone without having reason to) lightens the blow; my imagery gets better when I don't curse, although I'm perfectly happy with it if I'm not aggravated.
    That said, I also police myself relatively well.  Whereas most people who are poster-children for anti-Internet-swearing will go anywhere from the simple 'fuk u' in General chat to the outright lengthy strings of obscenities and racial or sexual slurs without any particular thread or narrative involved, I have a tendency to be at least remotely friendly when I swear.
    My best example for the moment would be on the beta for the new, free DDO.  I said something along the lines of 'You are a fuckin' rockstar, man!' after a friend had pulled me out of a nasty situation, and woke up the next day to find myself banned.
    Just a week or so earlier I was on Warhammer Online, and I'd cursed a few times that day, but the real clincher was when the guild leader of one of my server's biggest guilds make a few ridiculously poor, reckless decisions that ended up costing him his entire force; he wiped twice on a force just a little over half his size because he was doing something flagrantly wrong.  I told him so, not gently but without cursing, and suggested a course of action which he could take to improve.  He took that course of action, and reported me for the curses uttered hours earlier, which got me a ban.  It was later confirmed by one of his guildmates that he did it not because I had cursed and he was insulted (and, by the way, the profanity filter in WAR is on by default and you -must- turn it off to hear profanity) but rather because I had made him look like an idiot in front of his guild, and he didn't like it.
    That was my first ban, to be followed within two weeks by two -more- bans from two entirely separate games... one of which I was banned for -directly copying and pasting from NPC text-.
    I have not changed my speaking habits (indeed, I curse less now than ever) and these are the first three violation bans I have had in literally over a decade of playing online games, from MUDs to UO to Asheron's Call and onwards to the present.
    MMORPG.com's got a great profanity rule, I think; the occasional 'bad word' is fine, says the Code of Conduct, but swear-laden threads and profanity-filled rants are not.  That's great.  That's the rule I'd like to happen in -every- game, because it would keep the twelve-year-olds who just learned all their curses in line, and keep folks like me, an older guy with a propensity towards using foul language for emphasis rather than attack, relatively safe.
    Sadly, that is not the case.  Zero-tolerance policies being the Thing To Do lately, we're ending up with a 'cleaner' Internet at the expense of guys like me.  I sometimes find solace with the occasional GM that understands the difference between a cursing row and a swear used in normal, calm speech.  For the most part, however, GMs say 'the rules are the rules' and just toss me right off the Internet.
    More power to you, I guess, but I find that picking on folks who -use- rather than -abuse- curses simply because we do some of the things the kiddies do... well, a little unfair, I suppose.  Such is the case with any policy that says 'This Thing Is Not Allowed'.
    It makes me sad, but people think it's the only way.
    That -also- makes me sad.

Excellent post. It's unfortunate people are too ignorant to understand.

Originally posted by kaydinv

Saying "Nigger" in some situations might be perfectly acceptable and completely offensive in others.

Tell me of one situation in which I, with my pale skin, could say said n-bomb and it would be acceptable. I sure as sin can't think of one. If the situation where it would be acceptable is "the speaker is possessed of a high melanin-count", then there's something very wrong about the whole argument, there.

As well, you undermine your own argument by calling your opponents immature and the like. This does not make it more likely anyone will take you seriously. Insulting people is not a great way to get them to listen.

Krin-Rahl: You illustrate some serious issues, there. Zero-tolerance policies tend to cause more problems than they help, and banning someone for praising another player emphatically seems, well, extremely dumb. A more sensible attitude towards the use of language in general might behoove these companies.

Well, at least I didn't call them "SCUM" right?

I have actually heard many caucasian males say "Nigger" to a black friend of theirs in the same way that was described earlier in this thread (I'm too lazy to quote; you can search for yourself). In that situation it can mean "friend," such as "Whasup, Nigga." I live in LA. Not everyone has clenched assholes here.

Now, it might be innappropriate for a different caucasian male to greet a different black male with the same phrase, but that's what I mean by this whole nonesense being situational. Sometimes it's not perceived in a negative way and sometimes it is.

Proclaiming it as a negative word in every situation is ignorant.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

People let words have control and meaning as they see fit.

Most people will be offended and up in arms about BS, the rest of us will know, hey, "Stop buggin' out and it won't matter..."

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Slampig

People let words have control and meaning as they see fit.
    Most people will be offended and up in arms about BS, the rest of us will know, hey, "Stop buggin' out and it won't matter..."

So true, and you can always ask the person politely to refrain from using those words, instead of directly attacking their diction or attempting to get them banned over a silly word. Worst comes to worst in an MMO, you can set them to /ignore.

Serious issues are the ones I tend to look for. I try to find causes, not symptoms. Folks who figure that having a cleaner Internet is worth going all Demolition Man in terms of swearing or anything else untoward seems a little insane. It surprises me a lot how many folks tell me that I'm uncreative or small-minded because I have a propensity towards using phrases like 'fuckin' unbelievable' to describe things, whether it's half my allied force allowing the other half to be farmed for Renown or an exclamation re:having my ass saved in public. It seems amazing to me how many folks hook up 'this person curses' with 'this person is a bad person' in their minds; I've had a number of discussions to this end with Gamemasters and things, but for the most part, those folks are just following orders.

Again, I think it's a nasty situation that's getting worse. For more than a decade I've been doing what I do, not hurtin' anybody, and now my hopping online involves cycling through my inbox to see who was mortally wounded by my use of the word 'shit' where a child could, somewhere, possibly read.

People are hiding behind rules. That's not what they're for. It's a trend I don't like looking at on any level.  Even if it cleans up the Internet to some degree, regulations like that seem arbitrary and petty, useless in a way only an old Sly Stallone movie could possibly embody.

Originally posted by KirinRahl

Serious issues are the ones I tend to look for. I try to find causes, not symptoms. Folks who figure that having a cleaner Internet is worth going all Demolition Man in terms of swearing or anything else untoward seems a little insane. It surprises me a lot how many folks tell me that I'm uncreative or small-minded because I have a propensity towards using phrases like 'fuckin' unbelievable' to describe things, whether it's half my allied force allowing the other half to be farmed for Renown or an exclamation re:having my ass saved in public. It seems amazing to me how many folks hook up 'this person curses' with 'this person is a bad person' in their minds; I've had a number of discussions to this end with Gamemasters and things, but for the most part, those folks are just following orders.
    Again, I think it's a nasty situation that's getting worse. For more than a decade I've been doing what I do, not hurtin' anybody, and now my hopping online involves cycling through my inbox to see who was mortally wounded by my use of the word 'shit' where a child could, somewhere, possibly read.
    People are hiding behind rules. That's not what they're for. It's a trend I don't like looking at on any level.  Even if it cleans up the Internet to some degree, regulations like that seem arbitrary and petty, useless in a way only an old Sly Stallone movie could possibly embody.

Although I've never been banned from an MMO for it, I understand what you mean. I, too, enjoy using "curse" words every now and then for emphasis and it does seem as though a lot of people will immediately label you as "stupid" or "bad" for the use of those words.

It's like someone getting mad on an RP server for not using an Olde English tone when speaking in character.

I dunno.  Not using Olde Englishe doesn't bear the same onus of Being A Bad Person.  A lot of people literally think less of you after the first swear escapes your lips.  It's a moral thing, for some reason.  Bad for children, etc.

I'd love to know when the last time folks who make these rules were in a middle school.

I thought I cursed a lot until I opened up an Internet cafe and listened to eight and ten year olds yell at each other whilst playing Halo.  It's unbelievable!  And these are the kids we're 'saving' from cursing by beating up on the poor old bastard who used to make the best CDEF pistols on Gorath.

• NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133

First of all, i belive that all that "poliical correct" thing is nonsence. With that thing someone just trying to enforce his/her point of view on what is offencive and what isn't.

Well, i belive that if every one will start to think would his/her words offence some one or not - world will fall in silence. Just because you can't be absolutly sure, that you'll not offence one (or more) of 6 (or more?) billions people out there? Even ramdomly typed letters have a chance to do so, i belive. Not everyone know all meanings of words and sleng in other countries. There is no such thing like universal culture. What is ok to use in in Russia, can be offencive in USA. For example, in Russia world that mean black guy is "negr". It's very close to oh-so-feared "N" word in USA, so there will be someone for sure who will find it offencive. But Russia never had colony in Africa, never used it's native people as slaves and this word never been offencive in original meaning. Not even words, actions can be explained in different manner. For example good old European (? never been in America, so dunno how it's there) tradition for male to open up door before female and let her in first. I belive some feminist can find it very offencive and give me a long speach about male dominance, but in Russia that is norm of behaviour for polite people and if you don't do so traditionalist will find that offencive and count you as barbarian at least. Speaking about culture. It can differ so much... for example in most of muslim countries male dominance is absolute. If husband don't like what his wife speakiing or doing he can seamply beat her. And that is absolutly normal. And if you will try to interract - he will beat you too, because it's none of your business. Such behaviar is unacceptable for western culture. It's unacceptable for me (living in European part of Russia), but it's ok inCaucasian region. So even in one country what is offencive and what isn't can differ a lot. And now you trying to apply your rules on whole Earth? You making me laugh - people around the world differ too much. And who said that your rules is the right ones?

So i belive that people just inventing problems for themselves. If you want to find something offencive - you will find something for sure even if that someone doing or speaking something that is perfectly ok in his/her country.

And sorry for my English =)

• TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393
    Originally posted by Newfr

First of all, i belive that all that "poliical correct" thing is nonsence. With that thing someone just trying to enforce his/her point of view on what is offencive and what isn't.
    Well, i belive that if every one will start to think would his/her words offence some one or not - world will fall in silence. Just because you can't be absolutly sure, that you'll not offence one (or more) of 6 (or more?) billions people out there? Even ramdomly typed letters have a chance to do so, i belive. Not everyone know all meanings of words and sleng in other countries. There is no such thing like universal culture. What is ok to use in in Russia, can be offencive in USA. For example, in Russia world that mean black guy is "negr". It's very close to oh-so-feared "N" word in USA, so there will be someone for sure who will find it offencive. But Russia never had colony in Africa, never used it's native people as slaves and this word never been offencive in original meaning. Not even words, actions can be explained in different manner. For example good old European (? never been in America, so dunno how it's there) tradition for male to open up door before female and let her in first. I belive some feminist can find it very offencive and give me a long speach about male dominance, but in Russia that is norm of behaviour for polite people and if you don't do so traditionalist will find that offencive and count you as barbarian at least. Speaking about culture. It can differ so much... for example in most of muslim countries male dominance is absolute. If husband don't like what his wife speakiing or doing he can seamply beat her. And that is absolutly normal. And if you will try to interract - he will beat you too, because it's none of your business. Such behaviar is unacceptable for western culture. It's unacceptable for me (living in European part of Russia), but it's ok inCaucasian region. So even in one country what is offencive and what isn't can differ a lot. And now you trying to apply your rules on whole Earth? You making me laugh - people around the world differ too much. And who said that your rules is the right ones?
    So i belive that people just inventing problems for themselves. If you want to find something offencive - you will find something for sure even if that someone doing or speaking something that is perfectly ok in his/her country.
    And sorry for my English =)

I understand what you're trying to say here, but in this particular case I don't think it applies. The author was relating a story from a game being played on an American server. In that case, geographical tolerances and/or bigotry are less of a factor, in my opinion.

I've traveled all over the USA for work and pleasure, and I can't think of a place I've visited where no blacks would be offended by the casual use of the n-word toward complete strangers, nor can I think of a place where no gays would be offended by casual use of the word "gay" as a derogatory slur.

Mind you, I'm not saying I advocate policing the internet. I'm just pointing out why I disagree with your statement. Hell... if they started policing due to swearing, I'd be tossed out of every game eventually. I use "colorful" language as a part of my daily speech. :P

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Sanya I am with you on this.  Great article by the way.   I have seen things like you describe in games like Planetside, Age of Conan and EvE.    The good thing about those games are we the players can choose to just put the offender on ignore/block and we don't have to read their garbage any more.    I have learned that in most games though that a large portion of community will police itself and if that is not enough then you can bet many people will report the individual and in moments they will be gone.

Being PC is one thing, but letting a player spam a chat with words that everyone knows what they mean and find offensive is not a good thing at all.