Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Whispers (Warhammer 40k)

124»

Comments

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by mcharj11

Originally posted by arcdevil

Originally posted by Gidion

Originally posted by Greek_Matt

Originally posted by jjjk29

I dont really like the Space Marines im a Tau guy, but the game was to come out and players couldnt play Space Marines at launch then im sure fans wouldnt even go past the character creation screen.

I see `Space Marine' as something you would work up towards rather than begin as. Choose a side (Imperial, Chaos, Eldar, Greenskin, Alien, Rogue) and start as the bottom rung of each (Imperial Guardsman for Imperial) then specialize later in your career. Imperium would split off into options like Space Marine (general combat trooper), Terminator (heavy close combat), Medic ('nuff said') etc. and other races would do the same.

Oh god... shoot me now...

space marines were drawn among the best troops from the worlds the empire claimed/requonquered, and the rest drafted into the Imperial Guard. Those selected few were first genetically enhanced and then given the geneseed when proved worthy.

As a Space Marine you were not restricted to be a soldier,since your skills and qualifications could allow you to end up in the Apothecary (medic) ranks. As a soldier you could promote thru all the command line till becoming a Company Captain, even till belonging to the First Company and get access to the Mark IV power armors

when injuried to the point of death, any Space Marine is allowed to become a dreadnought, if his merits were considered worthy that honor and he has the will to resist the process.

All those subdivisions work exactly the same for the IG, and those naturally talented as psychic could be recruited into the Inquisition if they proved enough control over their powers that the value of their help outweigthed the risk of allowing them living.

everything Greek_Matt said is perfectly possible from any strict lore PoV...so please stfu, its obvious at this point that your just cluelessly discussing for the sake of it

edit: ok,maybe becoming a Space Marine when you are already IG isnt very cannonical per se, yet we dont know if this is not allowed or even forbidden.

That is pre-40k lore, after the Emperor went on life-support they lost much of their knowledge and tech over a ten thousand year period. In 40k recruits for the Marines are only taken at a young age from feral planets after completeing dangerous sets of trials.
    The only time adults were used was when the Imperium was being forged and an adult that becomes a marine is wekaer than an adolescent that becomes a marine.

Older Adults who survived the process weren't weaker they just had a very, very low survival rate when it came to enduring the gene modification trials for becoming a Space Marine. Also the process of recruitment varied from Chapter to Chapter. The selection process on a whole actually started during the young adult period of age which is usually 18 - early twenties. Yet even these young adults would face a high risk of death from the actual process of becoming a Space Marines let alone from the selection process of choosing people worthy enough to be allowed to undergo the process. The selection phase of candidates usually involved some sort of death games/trial where only those who survived the death games/trials were initiated to become a Space Marine.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

Originally posted by A.Dantes
    I wonder if Sisters of Battle will show up at game launch.  Space Marines are a given with the IP and, while the Sisters themselves are relatively unimportant, I really can't see a modern AAA MMO releasing gender locked 'classes' with no equivalent for the other gender.

The Sisters are just as important. They are tasked with hunting down rogue/unsanctioned psykers, doing purity checks on worlds for the taints of Chaos and seeking and destroying anyone/thing deemed a heretical threat to the Imperial Ecclesiarchy/Faith within the Empire. Those are pretty damn important roles. Admittedly there is maybe only 1 novel that has been devoted solely on The Sisters of Battle (Formerly known as the Sisters of Silence before and during the Horus Hersay.) called "Fire and Faith" aside from the few short stories here and there seen in other books. They are though represented in the Table Top as a army on their own.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• ImpyrielImpyriel Member UncommonPosts: 711

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

Just in case people didn't know, that's for anyone who's interested in learning some of the lore involved with 40k.

I decided to drop this in since I noticed the Space Marine debate a page or so back.

Like Gidion, I would highly disagree with a progression from classes to Space Marine.

wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Creation_of_a_Space_Marine

• shad0w99shad0w99 Member Posts: 168

I was a massive Warhammer 40K fan a few years back. I have a Space Marine army and a Tyranid army plus some (if I do say so myself) very nicely painted Eldar. I also have a number of Dark Eldar, Necrons and Sisters of Battle (gay.. I know :-D). I also have an old snowy table top scene for my Space Marine bunker behind the desk I'm typing from now :-D Oh and the box of Space Marines is behind me haha

But yes... needless to say I would be wetting myself if this actually gets released.

I was excited enough about WAR, even though I prefer 40K. The game wasn't a complete disappointment to me. There were some good points I felt, but a 40K game would be INCREDIBLE!

MMOs played (In order of how much I've liked them): Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Vanguard, City of Villains / Heroes, Guild Wars, Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, Tabula Rasa, Anarchy Online, Ryzom, Final Fantasy XI, Matrix Online, RF Online, Rappelz, Hero Online, Roma Victor

• ImpyrielImpyriel Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Originally posted by shad0w99

I was excited enough about WAR, even though I prefer 40K. The game wasn't a complete disappointment to me. There were some good points I felt, but a 40K game would be INCREDIBLE!

My exact sentiments as well.

I was a heavy beta tester for WAR, but even when I played that all I could do was think how much cooler it would be to be in 40k. 40k is the superlative example of science fiction/fantasy. For me nothing bests 40k in terms of any genre.

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

It will be great if it be something like Planetside but less crappy and more fun.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by darkedone02

It will be great if it be something like Planetside but less crappy and more fun.

That would be my wish also, however, it seems that they are going with the standard MMO combat instead. Which is a real bummer.

I do wish that it would be more territory control/conflict oriented as opposed to quest and instance oriented.

Space marines are combat units whose sole purpose is fighting the enemies of humanity. Seeing: "Welcome, space marine, I know that you're eager to begin serving the god emperor and purging the heretics but before you do that, I need you to bring me 10 wild dog tails." just wouldn't make sense.

• rebelleonrebelleon Member Posts: 58

Recently saw a new trailer for a 40K based game called Space Marines, it looks like production value is WAY up at first glace the trailer had me  thinking this was an animated movie but turns out theres a xbox 360 and other icon heads at the end, so it looks like possibly a FPS for Space Marine and 40K fans a like thats not TOTAL garbage on the way.

• jjjk29jjjk29 Member Posts: 295
    Originally posted by rebelleon

Recently saw a new trailer for a 40K based game called Space Marines, it looks like production value is WAY up at first glace the trailer had me  thinking this was an animated movie but turns out theres a xbox 360 and other icon heads at the end, so it looks like possibly a FPS for Space Marine and 40K fans a like thats not TOTAL garbage on the way.

Its made with the unreal 3 en.  So really all it is, is Gear of War, like, gameplay.  Oh and they take away the squad aspect of the universe.  Because in game it wouldnt work.  Like i was saying with the MMO

• jnicholajnichola Member Posts: 118

Im just glad they have actually broken the silence about this game, I was begining to wonder if the project hadn't been scrapped. the website wnt well over a year with out any updates.

Gotta figure it won't be out for several years yet 2012-13 maybe ?

• jjjk29jjjk29 Member Posts: 295
    Originally posted by jnichola

Im just glad they have actually broken the silence about this game, I was begining to wonder if the project hadn't been scrapped. the website wnt well over a year with out any updates.

Gotta figure it won't be out for several years yet 2012-13 maybe ?

THQ's contract with Games Workshop expires 2013.  So they have time to make it depending on how far along they are.