Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh my God! Why has no one told me before?!

Samira24Samira24 Member Posts: 23

What a gem of a game! Why has nobody told me before how good Ryzom is? Where was this game when i bored myself to death in linear titles like LOTRO, AoC and WAR?

Playing it for a week now but i havent had such fun in an MMO for years! The world is a world, not a theme park, the harvesting is outstanding, the crafting is nice and complex. This game makes so many things slightly different that a completely new feeling and atmosphere is created.

Just sad that the graphics are outdated. Still i dont care much. It is more intresting than Vanguard and that stanza thing is just awesome once you got behind it some. A true gem between all the mainstream MMO's and i hope word spreads and more people like myself dig this gem out. It has its flaws (the one or other crash and weird combat behaviour) but so far none of this breaks it for me. The quests on the starting island are fun and people have been friendly and helpful all over.

looking forward to see some of u in Ryzom!

Sam.

Comments

• LeemebeLeemebe Member Posts: 17

I've subscribed to MMORPG for many years, but rarely post on the forums. I will break out of my shell to say that I also think that Ryzom is a GEM of a game. I have played almost every mmorpg that has released since 1994, and find Ryzom to be one of the most enjoyable titles I have ever played.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

We have many times before, but very few have listened!  Since you have too:

• Work
    • Earn
    • Think
    • Grind
    • Group
    • Etc

to get things done in this game, even though its a skill based MMO that many have been begging for; for a long time, many just pass it by!

If an MMO isn't a quest grind, stupid easy, solo dependent , or everything handed to one on a silver platter anymore then most the time its not worth playing to the mass general player!

• BjornulveBjornulve Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by Samira24

What a gem of a game! Why has nobody told me before how good Ryzom is? Where was this game when i bored myself to death in linear titles like LOTRO, AoC and WAR?
    Playing it for a week now but i havent had such fun in an MMO for years! The world is a world, not a theme park, the harvesting is outstanding, the crafting is nice and complex. This game makes so many things slightly different that a completely new feeling and atmosphere is created.
    Just sad that the graphics are outdated. Still i dont care much. It is more intresting than Vanguard and that stanza thing is just awesome once you got behind it some. A true gem between all the mainstream MMO's and i hope word spreads and more people like myself dig this gem out. It has its flaws (the one or other crash and weird combat behaviour) but so far none of this breaks it for me. The quests on the starting island are fun and people have been friendly and helpful all over.
    looking forward to see some of u in Ryzom!

Sam.

It just fell off the map for a while because of bad management, and yes; Ryzom is a GEM.

• MariannMariann Member Posts: 200

Welcome to Atys :)

You can change the graphics in the game. Just press U (or select the little computer on the toolbar), then you can change the graphics to what you would like.

Here is a thread with some screenshots on high graphic detail.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/210014/Ryzom-on-High-graphic-detail-Added-Pics.html

Moonlightmist

• Samira24Samira24 Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Mariann

Welcome to Atys :)
    You can change the graphics in the game. Just press U (or select the little computer on the toolbar), then you can change the graphics to what you would like.
    Here is a thread with some screenshots on high graphic detail.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/210014/Ryzom-on-High-graphic-detail-Added-Pics.html

yes thanks, i put everything on and max now - with bloom on and stuff the graphics look much nicer too now!

• weblinkz2002weblinkz2002 Member Posts: 112

I hope you enjoy Ryzom thoroughly. Ryzom has all the content an MMO should have and should've been better then WoW. But due to marketing budget and cutbacks, and the power Blizzard had, it was quikly shoved under the rug. Ryzom is my most favorite MMORPG bar none. I like other MMOs, but nothing comes close to Ryzom.

The graphics to me are superb, especially at Highest settings.

~Webby "This MMO needs more dead bird."

• MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627

I´m always saying, that Ryzom is a raw diamond. Rough and not yet cut to full sparkle, but with a lot of work and polish it may one day truly shine like the gem we all see beneath the rough exterior ;)

Its true the graphics aren´t super high realistic up to date DirectX 10/11 megaRoXXoRutralübercool, but they´ve got what others lack.

Charm.

They´re unique, the world is unusual and fascinating to watch.

It´s not just the gameplay that makes this game special, its got soul!

CU

SaM

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?
  • SpecialK85SpecialK85 Member Posts: 27

I have to completely agree...I stumbled upon this game a few days ago and it has me hooked...I cant believe it has taken me two years to find something to hold my interest....even though I know no game is perfect this game does have a lot of qualities I personally look for in an MMO...and I think the crafting while tedious is delightful

I AM like the wind!

• BigMangoBigMango Member UncommonPosts: 1,821

Agreed, Ryzom is an awesome game. It has some great features like seasons, etc..

The only thing breaking it for me is the art direction, especially the characters I can't connect with.

• PiquedramPiquedram Member Posts: 127

To each their own mango, Ryzom's art direction (like many other things in the game) is unique, and unique might not suit everyone.

Ryzom was my first mmo, and the only one i stayed with for over 4 months (i'm at 4 years 8 months now), guess i got spoiled right off the bat :p

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I just started playing Ryzom again last night. I'm not sure exactly why, but I'm enjoying it more this time around than my first time. I bumped all the settings to max, and the game looks pretty good despite its age.

I'm seeing little details this time around that I didn't notice before. Things like animals herding together. Coming up to you and checking you out. Sniffing at you and running away. Lifting their legs like a dog to pee, and even kicking the grass with their back legs after peeing like a dog does. It was hilarious!

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• MariannMariann Member Posts: 200
    Originally posted by Nizur

I just started playing Ryzom again last night. I'm not sure exactly why, but I'm enjoying it more this time around than my first time. I bumped all the settings to max, and the game looks pretty good despite its age.
    I'm seeing little details this time around that I didn't notice before. Things like animals herding together. Coming up to you and checking you out. Sniffing at you and running away. Lifting their legs like a dog to pee, and even kicking the grass with their back legs after peeing like a dog does. It was hilarious!

You have been yuboed... Welcome back to Atys :P

Moonlightmist

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320

i will probably reinstall my copy now too.   I remember the comunity of Ryzom being the nicest group ever.  thanks.

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.

• Samira24Samira24 Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Nizur

oh yes!!! i must admit when i said the graphics are not so good i did not have settings right. Now with all the plants and bloom and all it looks very very good. When i first logged in it was winter and a day or two later i was like - hmmm this is not the forest i was yesterday, trees look so different... (?) took me a minute to figure that spring had begun! I am still amazed about this detail.

So the harvesting master might have been right explaining me that some resources are only available during certain seassons!? how cool is that? (please dont tell me its not true hehe - i LOVE things like that)

cya on Atys

• TorotoroTorotoro Member Posts: 84

Your master harvester is true. You can even find materials only harvestable when it rains...

• AbrunerAbruner Member Posts: 12

This game got me back into MMO's for the longest time. It is the only MMO that keeps coming back from the brink. In my experience the people that don't care for it are the ones that don't like to find their own way in a game since Ryzom does not lead you around from area to area with quest lines. If they would beef up the quest system it could draw a lot more players. This is the only real "Sandbox" type MMO I have played other than EVE. How many other games do you get to build your own attacks and spells from scratch? It definately had the best community around with almost everyone willing to take time out to help a newbie.

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

I played this game a while back. Loved it, but the sparce community made such a large world feel empty. Eventually it felt like I was just pointlessly grinding out monsters for skills and I took off. Housing and villages would take this game a long way in giving a sense of belonging and purpose. I haven't really looked back simply because I can't quite believe yet the game isn't going to just disappear and take all of my work with it yet again, and because I feel I'll just end up in that same old grind which is a pity because the world is huge and the environments are varied, but there doesn't seem to be much to do in them but kill the same critters hundreds of times over. 

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• TuyetTuyet Member Posts: 135

Just like to say about beefing up the quest system. They have recently put in a new linw of quests on the mainland to help new plauyers adjust to the mainland. Hopefully it helps out.

• TorotoroTorotoro Member Posts: 84
    Originally posted by Kordesh

...and because I feel I'll just end up in that same old grind which is a pity because the world is huge and the environments are varied, but there doesn't seem to be much to do in them but kill the same critters hundreds of times over. 

The actual event (kitin invasion) is the proof that there is much to do in Ryzom.

Come back and enjoy !

• MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627

I agree with the notion, that somehow taming and conquering the world, would be great.

And it would even make complete sense, given the background story of settling newly found lands.

But at the moment this simply isn´t possible, because of the low population and thus, relatively scarce monetary assests.

On a sidenote, I hate it when I come to a MMOs world of supposed "unconquered wilds" and run into a group grinding away every few minutes. Where´s the "wilderness" in that?

Where´s the sense of adventure?

And now don´t tell me that in a more populated world, you´d do other things than grind stuff.

Except that you´d be in a bit more company

CU

SaM

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?
  • KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715
    Originally posted by Torotoro

Originally posted by Kordesh

...and because I feel I'll just end up in that same old grind which is a pity because the world is huge and the environments are varied, but there doesn't seem to be much to do in them but kill the same critters hundreds of times over. 

The actual event (kitin invasion) is the proof that there is much to do in Ryzom.

Come back and enjoy !

Thats the problem though. It's an event. What happens when the event is over? Back to the grind. I mean, it's great and all when it happens, but during the majority (99%) of the time that there isn't an event running, what are you doing? Before I left last time I even made a last ditch effort to shake things up by making a journey way out of the jungle area to the desert and completely relocating and in the end I ended up doing the same thing there as I did elsewhere, grind on mobs until the next skillup. I need something to build towards which there just doesn't seem to be. Like I said, if they ever added some kind of community building features like territory control that is granted contribution based on everyones actions or some sort of housing/village creating mechanic, I would be all in, but I don't see the game as being able to support something like that, let alone in the position to foot the development for something that extensive. 

Let me put it this way. There were collective events like this in the past, which were awesome. The problem? Most of them were well and finished within the first day or so, and those that weren't were one time completions so even if it took a week or two or more, they were all completed, done, old news, and broken by the time I had signed up. Look at the current event. http://atys.ryzom.com/api/ke0904.php?language=en. It's only running for a few more days, and everything is already pretty much 100%.

edit: And if I recall correctly, the last time they did an invasion, they even cut it short because everyone bitched they couldn't grind because they kept getting killed by the invaders.....seriously....

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Originally posted by Khrymson

We have many times before, but very few have listened!  Since you have too:

Work
    Earn
    Think
    Grind
    Group
    Etc

to get things done in this game, even though its a skill based MMO that many have been begging for; for a long time, many just pass it by!

If an MMO isn't a quest grind, stupid easy, solo dependent , or everything handed to one on a silver platter anymore then most the time its not worth playing to the mass general player!

Most gamers already have a day job, I missed the word "fun" in your list above.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PiquedramPiquedram Member Posts: 127

edit: And if I recall correctly, the last time they did an invasion, they even cut it short because everyone bitched they couldn't grind because they kept getting killed by the invaders.....seriously....

Oh, lower level people are bitching this time around as well...

You can never make everyone happy. This is the biggest invasion Atys has ever seen, invasions give the players something else to do than grind, and we're having players complain they can't grind because of the invasion. Now there's one for the books...

• flameflame Member Posts: 31

Yes Ryzom is a gem. I can't believe I've been wasting so much time with other MMO's. The only MMO that have the same unique touch to it and is somewhat complex is Anarchy Online, but Ryzom even beats that.

Started playing last weekend and accomplished something I've never done before: playing 22 hours straight lol. That was where I convinced myself to go to sleep but in all honesty, I could've played 22 hours more if it wasn't for the human fatigue :p

Seriously, this game has everything I want in a MMO. Everything. It's complex in its skill system with stanzas and whatnot, plus the world seems so open and living and you can just do whatever you want to, within its sandbox ruleset of course. The fact that you don't have to roll a new character everytime you want to try something new really is top notch; I started out as a Zorai fighter and had a blast killing critters for their hides and stuff, so I could make myself a set of new armor, weapons etc. But then I wanted to be a mage, so I put on some mage armor and just started casting spells on the very same character.

I love how all girls are move them body, I mean, I really like how the wildlife randomly walks around and they can decide to follow you if they fancy you.

If I HAD to pick a few things to dislike, they would be the inability to jump and I'm not too keen on the cartoony graphics, but those are just personal preferences and minor flaws.

OH! I just finished downloading Ryzom on my other PC, so now it's back to the game for me :p

• VeridicVeridic Member Posts: 72

I have spent maybe a total of 6 hours in this game- and I am so upset that I did not know about it sooner. I am hoping some of you can answer a few noob questions for me real fast... I enjoy understanding the majority of a game before I play it- and though I did a lot of research there are just a few questions I have for you.

I chose to specialize in fighting- I got that power attack. I noticed that they say things to the effect of effective on mobs under level 10 or things like that. Because I chose that ability will I have the option to train a higher level version of it later or is it a lowbie skill you grow out of? If I do get to upgrade it- does that mean I missed out on a possibly great skill like fear? Does the initial specialization matter that much?

I also love crafting and harvesting- will I not be able to cap both crafting and harvesting and still be able to fight end game? Also- I have gotten a few different numbers- how many skill points do I have before it caps out? 

I ran around for a few hours and saw only 1 person who quickly ran off... how is the pop?

Again sorry to ask here, but from the little time I have played- I am loving it.

ALL YOUR PLAYER BASE ARE BELONG TO KITTY!