Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh snAp, DDO goes Free To Play!

Comments

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Originally posted by Wind-breaker

For anyone who played the game and is leaving because of the announcement, which game are you looking at?  I personally was more offended by the dishonesty than the model, although I wasn't happy about that either.

January 2009

"We know the recent job listing has caused a bit of a stir, but please be aware that this posting is for an unannounced future project. We appreciate the thoughts and feedback on both sides thus far."

June 2009

They have been working on it for "a year" according to their official announcement.  They knew all along.

They word things like that because it could be argued that "Eberron Unlimited" is, in fact, a future project. It is intentionally misleading while they simultaneously try to act all Mr. Rogers-like...as if they deeply care about, or listen to, their players.

I don't think this transition is going to bring them the profits they are fantasizing about. It is a niche game. But still, If it helps to keep the game alive and provides a positive experience for their player base, great.  I  liked DDO's combat system, the traps, and the puzzles. 

Everyone should try it for themselves to see if it is for them. It's definitely a niche game.. Overall I had a decent experience with DDO but Turbine sometimes makes me want to call 911.  I'd be shocked if this free to play model came out by the end of the summer. Early September probably makes more sense, if not later. They aren't exactly great with hitting their deadlines.

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• Wind-breakerWind-breaker Member Posts: 23

Agreed.  Really there is no defending their actions.  However, I did love the player community and the active combat.  This is why I want to know where people are going to end up.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by levsix

For anyone who played the game and is leaving because of the announcement, which game are you looking at?  I personally was more offended by the dishonesty than the model, although I wasn't happy about that either.

January 2009

"We know the recent job listing has caused a bit of a stir, but please be aware that this posting is for an unannounced future project. We appreciate the thoughts and feedback on both sides thus far."

June 2009

They have been working on it for "a year" according to their official announcement.  They knew all along.

They word things like that because it could be argued that "Eberron Unlimited" is, in fact, a future project. It is intentionally misleading while they simultaneously try to act all Mr. Rogers-like...as if they deeply care about, or listen to, their players.

I don't think this transition is going to bring them the profits they are fantasizing about. It is a niche game. But still, If it helps to keep the game alive and provides a positive experience for their player base, great.  I  liked DDO's combat system, the traps, and the puzzles. 

Everyone should try it for themselves to see if it is for them. It's definitely a niche game.. Overall I had a decent experience with DDO but Turbine sometimes makes me want to call 911.  I'd be shocked if this free to play model came out by the end of the summer. Early September probably makes more sense, if not later. They aren't exactly great with hitting their deadlines.

I think what happened was they were planning this model for a future project but then they decided that since DDO was near the close the doors level they might as well try this new idea with a game that already has been paid for. Since DDO was going to die off soon anyway this is less risky than developing an entire game around an unknown payment method. Now they get to work out the kinks with a game they already paid for and if it works they win twice because they prove this hybrid method can work and they revive DDO.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Agreed.  Really there is no defending their actions.  However, I did love the player community and the active combat.  This is why I want to know where people are going to end up.

Darkfall is actually a lot of fun if you get in with a group of active players that cover your timezone.  It's not as much as a disaster as its elluded to be and the Risk Vs Reward element means you're likely to consistently have an exciteing experiance everytime you login.  Darkfall is EXTREMELY tactile, much like how DDO feels.  If you suffered the horrendous state of the game during open beta or the first few weeks of its launch you should know the game is playing quite well; this doesn't mean there aren't flaws. 

Star Wars Galaxies is playable and somewhat fun although if you're not able to get past any flaws of Darkfall I would avoid this. 

Avoid Turbine games.  Turbine has proven to be as truthfull as a crackhead needing a quick fix - they'll give you content, they swear!

EVE Online is quite incredible although it requires a guild for it to be action oriented enough to get your attention if you get bored easily. I would advise joining EVE University right from the start.  You can get a 20 day trial (pm me with email and I'll send you one) which is plenty of time to get the hang of things.  I'd be willing to sponsor you or another ex-DDO player who's looking to get into EVE University and learn how to "pew-pew" while screaming "Yarr!!' in local.  :)

on the brite side, it's summer here in North America which means we have plenty of time to enjoy the Sun till something better comes around.  I think I'm going to use my subscription fee from DDO to see at least 2 movies in the theater each month.   :D

• AgtSmithAgtSmith Member Posts: 1,498
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta 

I think what happened was they were planning this model for a future project but then they decided that since DDO was near the close the doors level they might as well try this new idea with a game that already has been paid for. Since DDO was going to die off soon anyway this is less risky than developing an entire game around an unknown payment method. Now they get to work out the kinks with a game they already paid for and if it works they win twice because they prove this hybrid method can work and they revive DDO.

Possible but unlikely.  The 'something big' super secret stuff has been stirring for some time adn if you look at this DDO Unlimited thing one of the big parts is the quick download and play option whic goes way back to the changes in MOD with Korthos (which nobody could understand redoing the noob area for a game suffering for content at the top and mid levels.  Turbine knew, and knows, exactly what they are doing.  Yes, DDO Unlimited is a trial baloon or test dummy but not on a whim.

--------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

• daynendaynen Member UncommonPosts: 2

it may be a good thing or a bad one i dont know

• Dr.RockDr.Rock Member Posts: 603

Out of interest which companies have never been accused of misleading their customers? I know from my experience NCSoft, Cryptic, Funcom, Blizzard, Adventurine, SOE and who did I miss(?) have all been accused, who exactly hasn't?

Grow up guys, you are acting like someone stole your virginity.

Originally posted by Dr.Rock

Out of interest which companies have never been accused of misleading their customers? I know from my experience NCSoft, Cryptic, Funcom, Blizzard, Adventurine, SOE and who did I miss(?) have all been accused, who exactly hasn't?
    Grow up guys, you are acting like someone stole your virginity.

WHen my money is involved I will decide if being mislead is a bad thing or not and will complain as much as I want about it. Telling unhappy people to grow up makes you look childish. Turbine is showing very poor form to the veteran players who kept them gpoing through the bad times.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

I for one Like this Idea. With the lack of jobs and money being tight everywhere, it’s good for all. Get new subs that normally wouldn't play, might check it out just because it's free. And let’s face it, subs are down. I for one welcome the change. As a subscriber, I will continue to pay to be a VIP for the extra perks. I can't believe people talking about leaving a game they like over this, New blood is good and if they like the game, {and they should} they will want to pay so they can compete with the big boys. I really think this is a Win Win

Originally posted by Giddian

I for one Like this Idea. With the lack of jobs and money being tight everywhere, it’s good for all. Get new subs that normally wouldn't play, might check it out just because it's free. And let’s face it, subs are down. I for one welcome the change. As a subscriber, I will continue to pay to be a VIP for the extra perks. I can't believe people talking about leaving a game they like over this, New blood is good and if they like the game, {and they should} they will want to pay so they can compete with the big boys. I really think this is a Win Win

I can't understand all the F2P player hate either, or the fact the forums have gone hissy fit mad.

Unless people spend money on the cash shop the F2P model will not make Turbine any money. So it may attract unemployeed or people on a tight budget but if they can not afford to spend money how do they help DDO?

It is a good change for Turbine and the long term health of DDO could improve due to this, but that does not mean it will be good for the current players.

Truth is DDO is not popular and player retention from the free trial was poor. DDO has a tougher than average learning curve, DDO lacks many time sinks that MMO gamers enjoy and F2P that are good seem to have. So what we have is a game that not many have found to be a great MMO that now because it is free people will flock to? I expect an increase in population, I do not expect it to maintain a huge % of them. But I think the game will grow from this. But lets face facts if DDO was so good people would have been paying to compete with the big boys for three years, they have not. This game is not for everyone, but for those of us who like or liked it, it is a great game even if the Turbine management seems to have no clue.

I can't understand all the F2P player hate either, or the fact the forums have gone hissy fit mad.

Have you played many F2P games? They tend to attract a less than mature and intelligent crowd. Not that all of the players or even a majority are the problem, but the ones you get that are tend to really be problems.

WHich forums are hissy fit mad? The official DDO ones seem to be full oif questions that in typical Turbine fashion are not being answered. They had one good day of PR and now slipped back again.

• AllNewMMOSukAllNewMMOSuk Member Posts: 241

Have you played many F2P games? They tend to attract a less than mature and intelligent crowd. Not that all of the players or even a majority are the problem, but the ones you get that are tend to really be problems.

WHich forums are hissy fit mad? The official DDO ones seem to be full oif questions that in typical Turbine fashion are not being answered. They had one good day of PR and now slipped back again.

From here it looks like in typical self righteous player fashion, people feel they're owed every bit of information they want. They've answered a lot of questions and they will put out more information when they are ready. Contrary to your's and a couple other people that post a lot on here, they don't have to sit there and answer every question players ask. They can also choose to answer none of them, and if you'd expand your experience a bit you'd see no company sits on the forums and answers all the questions. A lot of companies don't post information on their forums ever, they just moderate them.

But the type of player like you, who feels for some reason he is owed everything, will always be upset with any game you are playing. Since every company will continue to not answer all the questions, and continue to put out information when they are ready to. All you can do is realize it is just a game, and life doesn't revolve around it, then maybe you can get used to how the world works which is information from companies when they are ready to give it.

Originally posted by AllNewMMOSuk
    From here it looks like in typical self righteous player fashion, people feel they're owed every bit of information they want. They've answered a lot of questions and they will put out more information when they are ready. Contrary to your's and a couple other people that post a lot on here, they don't have to sit there and answer every question players ask. They can also choose to answer none of them, and if you'd expand your experience a bit you'd see no company sits on the forums and answers all the questions. A lot of companies don't post information on their forums ever, they just moderate them.

But the type of player like you, who feels for some reason he is owed everything, will always be upset with any game you are playing. Since every company will continue to not answer all the questions, and continue to put out information when they are ready to. All you can do is realize it is just a game, and life doesn't revolve around it, then maybe you can get used to how the world works which is information from companies when they are ready to give it.

EU forums are leaving post heavy even though we are not getting the F2P option. It would appear F2P bigotry doesn't even require you to be affected, truly amazing.

Unless people spend money on the cash shop the F2P model will not make Turbine any money. So it may attract unemployeed or people on a tight budget but if they can not afford to spend money how do they help DDO?

It is a good change for Turbine and the long term health of DDO could improve due to this, but that does not mean it will be good for the current players.

Truth is DDO is not popular and player retention from the free trial was poor. DDO has a tougher than average learning curve, DDO lacks many time sinks that MMO gamers enjoy and F2P that are good seem to have. So what we have is a game that not many have found to be a great MMO that now because it is free people will flock to? I expect an increase in population, I do not expect it to maintain a huge % of them. But I think the game will grow from this. But lets face facts if DDO was so good people would have been paying to compete with the big boys for three years, they have not. This game is not for everyone, but for those of us who like or liked it, it is a great game even if the Turbine management seems to have no clue.

I do not agree 100% Some of what you say is true, but times are different right now. Economy is in the toilet, people don't have extra money to play. I do not believe DDO is a Tougher than average Learning curve. Let's face it, when you say Dungeons & Dragons, the first thing most people think of is some nerd in his Mother's basement, and wouldn't be interested in paying to play with that crowd. Free to play will possably give them that extra push. If people start to play they will pay for extra thing or even pay for VIP. As for the the other FTP games, They don't hold a candle to this. I don't worry about getting the kiddy crowd, they will drop like flys.

I love this Idea and can't wait for the Change.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

Historically they do attract immature players, but it doesn't have to be like that. Simple games attract immature people and most F2P games are simple. The game may attract fans of Guild Wars which has a lot of mature players.

I think there were a LOT of people on the fence about DDO. They like it, but prefer open world games and can't afford two full price subscriptions.

This change IS good for the current players. Anything that is good for the long term health of the game is good for the current players. If the F2P option is profitable then it can only mean that there will be more content.

The funny part is that even on the beta boards, the general tone is even more postitive than it was when they first released the details of the WoP nerf. Most of the people who I never thought would support this change are supporting it. Morale is good.

My only concern is the timing of the release. I am in FIVE(!) MMORPG betas right now and they are all releasing at the same time as the F2P DDO. I'm not sure I'll even get around to playing DDO for quite a while, free or not.

Originally posted by Aganazer

Historically they do attract immature players, but it doesn't have to be like that. Simple games attract immature people and most F2P games are simple. The game may attract fans of Guild Wars which has a lot of mature players.

I think there were a LOT of people on the fence about DDO. They like it, but prefer open world games and can't afford two full price subscriptions.

This change IS good for the current players. Anything that is good for the long term health of the game is good for the current players. If the F2P option is profitable then it can only mean that there will be more content.

The funny part is that even on the beta boards, the general tone is even more postitive than it was when they first released the details of the WoP nerf. Most of the people who I never thought would support this change are supporting it. Morale is good.

My only concern is the timing of the release. I am in FIVE(!) MMORPG betas right now and they are all releasing at the same time as the F2P DDO. I'm not sure I'll even get around to playing DDO for quite a while, free or not.

I played GW for years and it also has an abundance of people I would never group with. GW still required a box purchase and it was full of people who would have been banned in many games.

Right now we do not know the F2P is going to be good for the long term health of DDO. It has the potential to be, but if Turbine treats the game like it has the last year then it will not succeed. DDO is simply missing things that keep MMO players active and they need to add things to get people to pay. DDO failed as a subscription based MMO, it could fail as a F2P if they do not treat it properly. Turbine has shown over the years to lack a plan and good management.

I do not agree 100% Some of what you say is true, but times are different right now. Economy is in the toilet, people don't have extra money to play. I do not believe DDO is a Tougher than average Learning curve. Let's face it, when you say Dungeons & Dragons, the first thing most people think of is some nerd in his Mother's basement, and wouldn't be interested in paying to play with that crowd. Free to play will possably give them that extra push. If people start to play they will pay for extra thing or even pay for VIP. As for the the other FTP games, They don't hold a candle to this. I don't worry about getting the kiddy crowd, they will drop like flys.

So most people think nerd in moms basement when they think of DDO? But because it is free those people will play? I think you are looking at this like a 12 year old would instead of the generally older crowd DDO has attracted. If you think DDOs lacks of popularity is due to that perception instead of the fact that people did not stay once they tried it and found it lacking then I cant really help you.

Why will the kiddy crowd drop like flies? They will likely do in DDO(if they come) what they do in other F2P games, ruin general chat and make offensive names.

• hybridfuryhybridfury Member Posts: 138

I have a question.  In the text I read about this it says DDO Unlimited is a free upgrade to DDO, so does that mean that someone who has never played before still has to buy a retail version first?

Currently Playing: Toying around with AoC and bored with Darkfall

Thinking of Playing: Fallen Earth or Darkfall after this months update.

Have Played: EQ1, EQ2, WoW, WAR, Vanguard, EvE, Requiem, PW, Lotro, Lineage2, AoC, SWG...

Originally posted by hybridfury

I have a question.  In the text I read about this it says DDO Unlimited is a free upgrade to DDO, so does that mean that someone who has never played before still has to buy a retail version first?

Once it goes free it will be a free digital download.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

So most people think nerd in moms basement when they think of DDO? But because it is free those people will play? I think you are looking at this like a 12 year old would instead of the generally older crowd DDO has attracted. If you think DDOs lacks of popularity is due to that perception instead of the fact that people did not stay once they tried it and found it lacking then I cant really help you.

Why will the kiddy crowd drop like flies? They will likely do in DDO(if they come) what they do in other F2P games, ruin general chat and make offensive names.

I think one of the things that attracts the "kiddy crowd", as you say, is the fact that a game is F2P. This also applies to betas.

I participated in the Aion beta last weekend and it was unbelieveable. Inappropriate names, offensive chat, you name it.

EDIT: Once again MMORPG.com's wothless forum has lopped off more than half of my post. I'm not even going to try and re-create it. It's just not woth dealing with their bulls**it forum software.

Maybe I didn't phrase that quite right. My point was because they look at d&d as a nerd thing, they are reluctant to pay for it. Free they might Try it.

I think the Kiddy crowd will drop off because of the game {Not your run of the mill FTPMMO} I think D&DO has a Strong fan base and shoud be able to weed out the Kiddy Crowd. {Maybe it's wishfull thinking} I'm looking at this as a posative thing. There are negatives to Everything, I just don't wish to dwell on them,

I like the game and want to see some new Blood. Free or not. I think the VIP Players will rule the roost I look at it as a way to get people to play in this Crappy economy

• Wind-breakerWind-breaker Member Posts: 23

Of all the MMO's I played, I think DDO's failure has been the most suprising.  My recollection of launch was that it had like 300K people.  The limited release content drove some people away.  The nerf cycle also carved away huge chunks of people.  And the non-existent game updates also killed off a large segment of players.  Had Turbine use a little more foresight, maybe they could have saved some of those subscriptions (most telling: Human Versitility giving a +5 to skill points was overpowered, but shroud items that gave a stackable +6 were just fine)

Current estimates of the number of active subscriptions is like 40K in the North American Servers, although Sarlona appeared to have less than 1,000 people on each night in prime time.  The game had such potential, too.  The combat system is unique and addictive and with a good graphics card, the game is visually stunning.  I suspect free to play won't work well in DDO because much of the challenge is limited resources in dungeons, and unlimited resources will kill the challenge. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Maybe I didn't phrase that quite right. My point was because they look at d&d as a nerd thing, they are reluctant to pay for it. Free they might Try it.

I think the Kiddy crowd will drop off because of the game {Not your run of the mill FTPMMO} I think D&DO has a Strong fan base and shoud be able to weed out the Kiddy Crowd. {Maybe it's wishfull thinking} I'm looking at this as a posative thing. There are negatives to Everything, I just don't wish to dwell on them,
    I like the game and want to see some new Blood. Free or not. I think the VIP Players will rule the roost I look at it as a way to get people to play in this Crappy economy

I don't think DDO have that strong playerbase or they wouldn't have done like this. But it might work to get more players into the game.

But I can't help to wonder if this have anything to do with Atari/Cryptics announcement about a Forgotten realms MMO. I am not a huge Cryptic fan but FRs world is better so DDO will get harder competition once it releases, and if DDO can hook more people before then it have a lot bigger chanse of surviving the competition.

But I think this might actually be a good idea, most F2P games suck badly and DDO have a good chance of making itself large here.

However they must also open up F2P for the rest of the world, making a game free in US and cost money elsewhere is not going to lead to something good, the rest of the customers will feel ripped off and the idea might then get opposite effect of intended.