Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh snAp, DDO goes Free To Play!

Comments

• SarrSarr Member UncommonPosts: 466
    Originally posted by AgtSmith Originally posted by Sarr 
    So no point in arguing Agt.Smith. We won't make each other change his mind.

No, you won't change the facts and the facts are that this change is all about marketing and testing Turbine's RMT system and little about a dead MMO (and let's face it, if you go from sub based to free you are officially dead/failed).  Give them credit, I am shocked they made it three years - but that is more a testament to the loyal few made up the game's base than anything Turbine did.

Hands on the ground... Smith, this is JUST YOUR NEGATIVE OPINION. Or show me the fact DDO is "just to test RMT" and "only Marketting". Show me your sources. Sources that state it is a fact, not your speculation... Very negatively biased, in my opinion.

Polish Sword Coast Legends Portal http://www.swordcoast.pl/
    SwordCoast.pl Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SwordCoastPL/
    SwordCoast.pl Twitter: https://twitter.com/SwordCoastPL
    Polish Neverwinter Portal http://www.neverwinter.com.pl/
    Polish D&D Online Portal http://www.ddopl.com
    DDOpl Twitter: http://twitter.com/DDOpl
    Great DDO PodCast by Jerry & co. http://www.ddocast.com

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by Rokurgepta How does it make sense logically to take a game that has failed as a P2P and spend the money to port it to console? I fail to see the logic in spending more money on a game that has failed to make money so far.

Tons of reasons. The controls would work on a controller. The distributions on Live or the PS3 store would reach potentially millions of players, those players are already accustomed to buying things ala-cart. No subscription fees. Targeted hardware.

More people have PCs, this game already had the potential to reach millions and failed to do so. Posting over is not cheap and DDO has not shown the wide appeal that would be needed to make a port worth the investment. I think the as yet unmade Harry Potter MMO gets the port over. Not to mention while the combat fits a controller quite well the rest of the UI is not so controller friendly. I use like 8 of my hot bars and moving to click on them with a controller is not as easy as a mouse.

Xbox is a windows platform. PC's are not only used for gaming. The audience on a console targeted marketing are already tuned to games, and RMT, and Downloadable and episodic content.

The game did reach millions of players, it was deemed not worth a subscription, so turbine has changed that.

This really is not a hard concept to understand. They have at least two MMO going to console. New IP or old. DDO online is a great choice, with its lobby like game play, simple controls, and twitch like combat system.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Sarr

No, you won't change the facts and the facts are that this change is all about marketing and testing Turbine's RMT system and little about a dead MMO (and let's face it, if you go from sub based to free you are officially dead/failed).  Give them credit, I am shocked they made it three years - but that is more a testament to the loyal few made up the game's base than anything Turbine did.

Hands on the ground... Smith, this is JUST YOUR NEGATIVE OPINION. Or show me the fact DDO is "just to test RMT" and "only Marketting". Show me your sources. Sources that state it is a fact, not your speculation... Very negatively biased, in my opinion.

Facts or not speculation on Turbines intentions are deserved. They have lied and or misled their customers for a long time now.

• AgtSmithAgtSmith Member Posts: 1,498

Originally posted by Rokurgepta How does it make sense logically to take a game that has failed as a P2P and spend the money to port it to console? I fail to see the logic in spending more money on a game that has failed to make money so far.

Tons of reasons. The controls would work on a controller. The distributions on Live or the PS3 store would reach potentially millions of players, those players are already accustomed to buying things ala-cart. No subscription fees. Targeted hardware. 

ROFL @ the DDO fans for their refusal to acknowledge the clear reality of the situation.  DDO didn't fail as an MMO because it had the wrong pricing model it failed because it is not a good MMO, period.  Restructuring the same game with a different payment model doesn't change the fact that so few people found the game itself appealing that it had to go F2P.  All this is one of two things - a way to get more money out of the same few people or a way to test a system they have more important plans for, or likely both.  

--------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

Facts or not speculation on Turbines intentions are deserved. They have lied and or misled their customers for a long time now.

I would like a link to that too.

I am quite sure they told you mod 9 was delayed.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

More people have PCs, this game already had the potential to reach millions and failed to do so. Posting over is not cheap and DDO has not shown the wide appeal that would be needed to make a port worth the investment. I think the as yet unmade Harry Potter MMO gets the port over. Not to mention while the combat fits a controller quite well the rest of the UI is not so controller friendly. I use like 8 of my hot bars and moving to click on them with a controller is not as easy as a mouse.

Xbox is a windows platform. PC's are not only used for gaming. The audience on a console targeted marketing are already tuned to games, and RMT, and Downloadable and episodic content.

The game did reach millions of players, it was deemed not worth a subscription, so turbine has changed that.

This really is not a hard concept to understand.

Your concept is not a very good one, it may be easy for you to understand but it still lacks logic.

Originally posted by AgtSmith

ROFL @ the DDO fans for their refusal to acknowledge the clear reality of the situation.  DDO didn't fail as an MMO because it had the wrong pricing model it failed because it is nto a good MMO, period.  Restructuring the same game with a different payment model doesn't change the fact that so few people found the game itself appealing that it had to go F2P.  All this is one of two things - a way to get more money out of the same few people or a way to test a system they have more important plans for, or liekly both.  

Seriously, it is like taking a terrible movie that flopped at the box office and got poor reviews and word of mouth and pitching it around trying to get it made as a TV series.  It doesn't work that way - failed movies don't get TV shows and just because TV is free it doesn't mean a bad movie can find an audience.  DDO has seriosuly limited appeal, that much is obvious - you don't go F2P if that is not the case and you don't port a failed MMO to the console or otherwise put money in to them.  Now, you might find a way to make a small playerbase useful like turning it in to a testbed for systems you are developing for other games or change to payment model to this existing game to try to find a way to get more money out of the same base and possibly get a few bucks from the pasers by as well.

You say this as if they have changed nothing for this relaunch.

Did you see the part where i said it was deemed not worth a subscription? I would be one of those people, and with the new F2P model, i will be playing again.

Nope, your to occupied trolling, just like you do on the LOTRO forums here too.

----------

How are you?" -Me

Your concept is not a very good one, it may be easy for you to understand but it still lacks logic.

Nope. My concept has all ready been proven.

----------

How are you?" -Me

I would like a link to that too.

I am quite sure they told you mod 9 was delayed.

Delayed yes, MOD9 no longer exists as it will be lumped in with the new release. They played along like MOD 9 was coming soon and even played it up on the website repeatedly. Things like the MOD 9 tailgate party to hype something they knew at the time was not really coming. You may not feel lied to, that is your own choice.

Seriously, it is like taking a terrible movie that flopped at the box office and got poor reviews and word of mouth and pitching it around trying to get it made as a TV series.  It doesn't work that way - failed movies don't get TV shows and just because TV is free it doesn't mean a bad movie can find an audience.  DDO has seriously limited appeal, that much is obvious - you don't go F2P if that is not the case and you don't port a failed MMO to the console or otherwise put money in to them.  Now, you might find a way to make a small playerbase useful like turning it in to a testbed for systems you are developing for other games or change to payment model to this existing game to try to find a way to get more money out of the same base and possibly get a few bucks from the passers by as well.

It is a fair analysis, much more fair than the though that an unpopular, failed subscription game over three years old is going to reinvent itself without changing the game only adding RMT and come out more popular and making more revenue.  Come on, which is the bigger fantasy - a funded testbed or the dead game being sold in parts and making more money and being more popular? 

Show me a single instance of a failed P2P or F2P game changing like this and becoming a success.  It isn't happenieng and there is no way turbine would spend a penny thinking it would happen - this is a paid testbed and 'oh by the way if it works better this way while we develop this RMT system then great otherwise we shut it down after we are done'.

Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

As for what I was saying before on the clear scam of this whole thing look at this from the IGN propoganda:
    "The game, set to launch this summer, will be renamed D&D Online: Eberron Unlimited (or simply DDO Unlimited). Available as a digital upgrade to existing subscribers, newcomers will be able to download and start playing the game for free. A new DDO store, instantly accessible anywhere within the game itself, will sell equipment, new adventures, added character content (including the brand new monk class), hirelings and a host of other things. All the new items are loaded within the client, so once a player purchases an item, it's immediately available."
    You mean the brand new monk class that has been part of the game for months?  Yeah, nothing bogus about that claim.

it was clarified on DDO forums that the monk class is NOT the new class

Nope. My concept has all ready been proven.

Only in your mind. Your concept will be proven the day DDO goes to a console. Until then it is just a weak theory with a poor back up. I wonder how much DDO you play that lets you think it fits a controller with no mouse and few buttons.

ROFL @ the DDO fans for their refusal to acknowledge the clear reality of the situation.  DDO didn't fail as an MMO because it had the wrong pricing model it failed because it is nto a good MMO, period.  Restructuring the same game with a different payment model doesn't change the fact that so few people found the game itself appealing that it had to go F2P.  All this is one of two things - a way to get more money out of the same few people or a way to test a system they have more important plans for, or liekly both.  

Seriously, it is like taking a terrible movie that flopped at the box office and got poor reviews and word of mouth and pitching it around trying to get it made as a TV series.  It doesn't work that way - failed movies don't get TV shows and just because TV is free it doesn't mean a bad movie can find an audience.  DDO has seriosuly limited appeal, that much is obvious - you don't go F2P if that is not the case and you don't port a failed MMO to the console or otherwise put money in to them.  Now, you might find a way to make a small playerbase useful like turning it in to a testbed for systems you are developing for other games or change to payment model to this existing game to try to find a way to get more money out of the same base and possibly get a few bucks from the pasers by as well.

Did you see the part where i said it was deemed not worth a subscription? I would be one of those people, and with the new F2P model, i will be playing again.

Will you be spending money in the cash shop though?

Look, anyone looking knows Turbine has big console MMO plans, we allso know that to work on console you have to be RMT as you cannot do a traditional MMO sub on that platform.  So really, is it much of a stretch to see this as what it is, the testbed for Turbines RMT system?  Come on, DDO is a failed game - when was the last time a failed game three+ years old got reinvented and resold?  it doesn't happen and it isn't happening here - this is about using DDO to develop and test their RMT system which will be critical for the console plans they have for etiher LotRO or the Harry Potter MMO.  DDO was tanking anyways so they figure this is a way to get live test experinece and write off some of the expense at the same time, and maybe it works better for DDO and they get enough revenue to keep it open a while longer too.  

Yes, both of them are speculating and doomsayig because they misunderstood something along the way and made up their own reality. This all hurt their feelings, as will seeing DDO having much more players than ever before...

Not constructive discussion. No one from Turbine lied to me. Or post a link, anyone.

This all hurt their feelings, as will seeing DDO having much more players than ever before...

ROFL @ Sarr, pretty much that is all that is left to say.

Yes, both of them are speculating and doomsayig because they misunderstood something along the way and made up their own reality. This all hurt their feelings, as will seeing DDO having much more players than ever before...

Not constructive discussion. No one from Turbine lied to me. Or post a link, anyone.

Sarr to be honest todays announcement puts the lie to every time you came here saying DDO was growing. This change signals the fact that DDO was in a bad way and needed a desperate change to try and grow its playerbase and its bottom line. You seem to not understand facts at all.

• AshGUTZAshGUTZ Member Posts: 339

Sarr to be honest todays announcement puts the lie to every time you came here saying DDO was growing. This change signals the fact that DDO was in a bad way and needed a desperate change to try and grow its playerbase and its bottom line. You seem to not understand facts at all.

It would be understandable for Turbine to choose F2P with an item shop over Subs either way, most F2P games make a large amount of money fairly easily. Take RoM - it costs about 260.00USD just for a capped level vanity set (And yes, people buy them).

This all hurt their feelings, as will seeing DDO having much more players than ever before...

ROFL ;Sarr, pretty much that is all that is left to say.

Sarr is right DDO will have more players that I believe, but will DDO hook enough of them to make more money then it does today? Will a free DDO appeal to enough people to make this change worthwhile? This is DDOs last attempt at making money. There is no where to go after F2P and a cash shop. Truth is DDO has over 3 years failed to hook enough people to be prolfitable, this can not be disputed by any fanboy. Turbine would not go F2P unless they had to. F2P as of now does not have the reputauion for great games or good communities. Turbine is taking a huge chance with these changes. If it leads to more money and more content that is great, but that is the future. Right now Turbine has a floundering game that may not see real content for almost one year since the last MOD was released.

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Aganazer

Their FAQ is weak. I have so many questions.
    What happens to the favor system? Are the perks going to be bought now?
    What happens to my current characters if I choose to use the Free to Play option?
    What's the new class?
    What's going to happen to Mod 9?
    How much will a dungeon cost?
    Will any of the currently dropped gear be removed to encourage people to buy from the cash shop?

If I pay $15 a month are those dungeons included? Or is that why I get 500 points a month we all have to pay for these dungeons?

What happens if I go FTP after that do I lose the dungeons? Team: Lets go run this. Player 4: I can't I don't own that. Ok then lets go over here. Player 3: I don't own that.

To be honest this is a lot to think about and it's giving me a headache.

Originally posted by AshGUTZ

It would be understandable for Turbine to choose F2P with an item shop over Subs either way, most F2P games make a large amount of money fairly easily. Take RoM - it costs about 260.00USD just for a capped level vanity set (And yes, people buy them).

Keep in mind DDO always prided itself on its mature player base. Once it goes F2P that will no longer be the case. F2P have the worst communities.

Misdirection. Pretty typical -> you can't prove anything, so you attack.

But firstly, I am not Turbine. Then, I was seeing many more players post Mod 8 then I've seen post Mod 7. Personal experience that I spoke of. Delay of Mod 9 caused many people to leave - but delay was about DDO relaunch. It doesn't take scientist to know it must have been some work behind the scenes for this new client with instant RMT. It's coming to beta now.

Lastly, you state that "moving to RMT and relaunch" must mean that game was in grave condition. That grave (our speculation) condition was during Mod 9 delay, caused by... working on DDO new F2P, RMT client. So it pretty much denies your opinion.

Not only that, but re-lauch of a game doesn't need to be because of "grave condition". It may be as simple as wanting to get more players and more cash. More popularity for their game and their company.

So yes, you're trying to call your own negative point of view the only real, "enlightened", and your opinions facts. Now real facts say "no" to both of these assumptions behind your negativity, I'm afraid. Or do you think otherwise?

ROFL ;Sarr, pretty much that is all that is left to say.

Sarr is right DDO will have more players that I believe, but will DDO hook enough of them to make more money then it does today? Will a free DDO appeal to enough people to make this change worthwhile?

Answer is: we all don't know. We can't do anything about it, we can only wait and see.

But of course, some of us can still whine about it! What a joy! Horray!

"Yeah, bring the mothfcr. (DDO) down, so I will feel better! (?) Oh, justice for once..."

PS: Pretending to know future (telling "facts" about future) is... uh, not logical from psychologic point of view. And it's a science totally based on logic, like physics.

But firstly, I am not Turbine. Then, I was seeing many more players post Mod 8 then I've seen post Mod 7. Personal experience that I spoke of. Delay of Mod 9 caused many people to leave - but delay was about DDO relaunch. It doesn't take scientist to know it must have been some work behind the scenes for this new client with instant RMT. It's coming to beta now.
    Lastly, you state that "moving to RMT and relaunch" must mean that game was in grave condition. That grave (our speculation) condition was during Mod 9 delay, caused by... working on DDO new F2P, RMT client. So it pretty much denies your opinion.

Not only that, but re-lauch of a game doesn't need to be because of "grave condition". It may be as simple as wanting to get more players and more cash. More popularity for their game and their company.
    So yes, you're trying to call your own negative point of view the only real, "enlightened", and your opinions facts. Now real facts say "no" to both of these assumptions behind your negativity, I'm afraid. Or do you think otherwise?

You acknowledge that Turbine has had this in the works for some time but you deny that Turbine has been lying to people for some time.  Having this in the works for a while means they have been dangling MOD 9 as a carrot while they knew darn well it was BS because the RMT thing was what they were really doing.

Then you claim the RMT move was not because the game was failing miserably it was the MOD 9 delay which made the game fail miserably.  But the MOD 9 delay, or deception to be more accurate, is the RMT change so the trouble obviously goes way back.  Besides all that, if you seriously want to argue that this game has been as small as small can be without closing up shop for quite some time and that even from launch this game has been in serious decline then you are just not dealing in reality.  DDO might not be as bad as something like Tabula Risa it is been a pretty massive fail since day 1.

You are just so blind to reality it is laughable.  DDO is a flop, period - flop  and fail.  It may be amazing it took this long to get to this point but the clear reality is that DDO failed miserably and this latest ploy from Turbine is as much a desperation act as it is anything else.  DDO will never be a success, never be popular, never be relevant - maybe Turbine finds a way to whore enough items and character traits to keep it open a while longer but the more obvious place this is heading is that once they have finished testing and developing their RMT system for that other game DDO will be left to whither on the vine as it pretty much has been for years.

Misdirection. Pretty typical -> you can't prove anything, so you attack.

Sarr you need help. Either it is the language difference or you are living a fantasy. If DDO was not in financial and subscription trouble why would they go F2P? F2P has many negatives which a profitable and successful game would not subject themselves to. The fact DDO went F2P proves they were not making enough money. This is not a negative opinion, it is simply fact. If DDO was growing up to now Turbine would have made mention at sometime about it. Wh would they stay silent on good news? Do you even make sense to you? How deep does your fanboy run?

Real facts say no to my opinion? What made up facts are you talking about? You are and have been wrong for months. Today proves that. Thank you for playing.