Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online: June Update From the Devs

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

The folks at Mortal Online have posted their update for the month of June, detailing their progress through beta and talking about pre-orders.

The closed Combat Beta is going as planned, we’ve been inviting players from the community each week since beta started. If you haven’t got an invitation yet please be patient, so far we are doing this in a relatively small scale.

The test phases have been great for Mortal Online; we are getting a lot of good feedback on combat, movement, crafting, balancing, latency and stability. We are very happy with the stability of the server and the clients.

Even though our movement prediction system is not yet in place we have also got very good test results from US players on our EU server. We didn’t expect US players to actually be able to compete in our real time combat system, but they have shown it’s very possible, so far.

Read more here.

Comments

• kelarcanuskelarcanus Member UncommonPosts: 63

the new beta screens posted do not impress...

• madeuxmadeux Member Posts: 1,786
    Originally posted by kelarcanus

the new beta screens posted do not impress...

The driving force behind this game cannot be seen in a screenshot.  If you're looking for eye candy, Aion is your game.  Have fun with it!

This game is about gameplay, and freedom, and choices that have real impact in the world. 

Take a screenshot of Civlization 3.  Nothing special, pretty mediocre at best.  But it's still one of the most addicting games ever, and I still find myself playing it every now and then.  Screenshots, when it comes down to it, mean nothing to me.

Originally posted by Vinterkrig

glad to know the carebear role players are help shaping that game, i fear what it'll turn out to be

they're more worried about safe zones, not getting pkd, crafting and sims like life in the game then the actual combat ..etc..etc.

I've got a great idea!  Let's all play a genre with the title "ROLE PLAYING GAME" in it, and then ridicule those people who actually try to get into character!  Doesn't that sound like a terrific idea?

While we're at it, let's pretend we're back in grade school, and call them names as well.  That'd be super fun!

And in the end, we'll all feel better about ourselves for having done it.

Originally posted by madeux

glad to know the carebear role players are help shaping that game, i fear what it'll turn out to be

they're more worried about safe zones, not getting pkd, crafting and sims like life in the game then the actual combat ..etc..etc.

I've got a great idea!  Let's all play a genre with the title "ROLE PLAYING GAME" in it, and then ridicule those people who actually try to get into character!  Doesn't that sound like a terrific idea?

While we're at it, let's pretend we're back in grade school, and call them names as well.  That'd be super fun!

nope roleplay till your hearts desire...

but its a pvp game, and a majority of them want safe zones n garbage crap like that.... its a PVP game , who cares about the RPG in the "mmorpg" title, a majority of the people who play these games never have roleplayed and never will

Nobody wanting safe zones will be playing this game.  RP'ers are excited about this game because of the open world, the real peril and danger involved, the risk of losing your items that they've spent so much time crafting.

Everyone role plays.  In games we role play marines, and ogres, and pilots, and assasins, and frogs, and wizards, etc.  People get to choose to what extent they want to take this, but its all a part of immersing yourself in the game.  Focusing on PVP doesn't change that.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Well, the developers have a choice to make.

Add the safe zones, pk flags and whatever the "roleplaying carebears" want and have a financially successful game or acquiesce to the much smaller, "hard core" pvp crowd and watch the game fail.

Which do you suppose tthe Dev's are going to chose?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Add the safe zones, pk flags and whatever the "roleplaying carebears" want and have a financially successful game or acquiesce to the much smaller, "hard core" pvp crowd and watch the game fail.

The Devs on this one are smart.  The know that "roleplaying carebears" are just going to play WoW.  They're targetting those who are sick of WoW, those of us who want more out of a game.  That way they don't have to take on Blizzard Directly, they can just siphon off players that are already unhappy.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

The Devs on this one are smart.  The know that "roleplaying carebears" are just going to play WoW.  They're targetting those who are sick of WoW, those of us who want more out of a game.  That way they don't have to take on Blizzard Directly, they can just siphon off players that are already unhappy.

Odd, I thought all of the unhappy players were playing Darkfall. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

but its a pvp game, and a majority of them want safe zones n garbage crap like that.... its a PVP game , who cares about the RPG in the "mmorpg" title, a majority of the people who play these games never have roleplayed and never will

Nobody wanting safe zones will be playing this game.  RP'ers are excited about this game because of the open world, the real peril and danger involved, the risk of losing your items that they've spent so much time crafting.

Everyone role plays.  In games we role play marines, and ogres, and pilots, and assasins, and frogs, and wizards, etc.  People get to choose to what extent they want to take this, but its all a part of immersing yourself in the game.  Focusing on PVP doesn't change that.

playing a character doesn't = roleplay

sorry, it just doesn't

and if you've been on the MO forums for a while, they DO want safe zones, they want tracking on killers, they want every possible way to counter being PK'd

so you can think what you want, but I could prob go dig up 20+ threads, 100s of posts of roleplayers wanting this put in game, not only that

but the beta portion they are in is combat, I'd rather have experienced, very into pvp, players testing that out. not people who want food to go bad, and want safe zones :D

Where do I even start?  First of all, please explain to me how playing a character does not equal role play.  Thats what games are all about.

Second, you obviously didn't read carefully, or only saw what you wanted.  I never said people didn't want safe zones in this game.  As an sentient being, I understand that there are many types of people out there, all enjoying and desiring different things.  What I said was that those who want these safe zones will not end up playing this game.

I'm sure they have plenty of PvP'ers in the beta, it's a central part of the game.  But I'm also sure that they're smart enough to realize that they need a variety of people testing it out, to get input from all sides, and not just a narrow minded focus.

Odd, I thought all of the unhappy players were playing Darkfall. 

You've got a point... heh

• hooptyhoopty Member UncommonPosts: 788

Must be Darkfall to tough for you.haha..Dont worry Hello Kitty will be out for you soon...

Some people rob you at gun point..Others will rob you at "Ball Point Pen"

actually, despite darkfalls problems, i think the game is doing pretty damn well... now a better company and a more solid game, with less cheaters (if the devs can stop them) the game would do very well

there is actually a very LARGE hardcore pvp crowd

not only this but the game is in all first person, no matter what its going to turn alot of players off with this just alone

but the devs are from old school UO, so I have faith they will stick to their guns and not sway from the harsh pvp environment they are promising

As much as it pains me to do so, I'm going to have to agree with you on this one.

Darkfall has a lot to each us, both players and developers.  The excitement over the game shows that there is certainly a market for a game like this.  The anger and dissapointment shows developers that these players feel very strongly about the game.  It gives them a chance to see what Darkfall did wrong, and improve on that.  They know that once hooked, the dedicated, emotional players are going to keep coming back, and draw people in with them.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Just for you uneducated ones, no safe zones = very small audience.  We won't know what is in this game until beta, but if they have no safe zones you can attach the braindead label to the development group.  While the hardcore will scream about it, there are not enough of them to matter.

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Just for you uneducated ones, no safe zones = very small audience.  We won't know what is in this game until beta, but if they have no safe zones you can attach the braindead label to the development group.  While the hardcore will scream about it, there are not enough of them to matter.

you are wrong :)

True that :)

Oh and even if there are safe zones, You wont sit there for long, I am patient  =)

• Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619

"there is actually a very LARGE hardcore pvp crowd"

Hence the booming success of Shadowbane.

No, wait.........

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

pfft...IF theres a large "hardcore PvP" group the majority is playing WoW, while the bottom of the barrel are playing the empty content world we all know as Darkfall, which are threatened by MO because the devs are creating a system that will give control to the player by allowing them to impact the game in a huge way. And I don't really care what any DF fan says to that cuz their opinions became flawed the moment they supported such a disgusting company (AV)

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

Originally posted by Hammertime1

"there is actually a very LARGE hardcore pvp crowd"

Hence the booming success of Shadowbane.
    No, wait.........image

when the game came out, it was pretty awful looking compaired to alot of stuff that was out
    this was also before the big boom in mmos (WoW)
    so the player base was a lot smaller back then most of which were probably still playing Everquest
    ... and darkfall, is anything but a flop at this point regardless of how you feel about it

its not a flop...but its not a cash cow..or a huge success. When other sites start praising it and telling everyone to go play it then you can be right...but since that will never happen all its going to be is a small indie niche game tucked away in the corner so better games can get all the glory.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

That's just your opinion and nothing more I'm afraid. The fact remains it's first and foremost a ROLE playing game that happens to have a real time combat system. Who cares? A lot of people actually, you're not special, you're just a faceless person who comes across as very immature to the community on this site.

A MMO with no safe zones would be reduced to a community of those who play to grief. There's no money in that for a company running those MMO's. Even in FPS there's an unspoke rule not to spawn rape or be kicked as it ruins the experience for everybody. Human nature and immature people will make sure no safe zone MMO drive people away.

• chokepointchokepoint Member Posts: 160
    Originally posted by gamerman98

pfft...IF theres a large "hardcore PvP" group the majority is playing WoW, while the bottom of the barrel are playing the empty content world we all know as Darkfall, which are threatened by MO because the devs are creating a system that will give control to the player by allowing them to impact the game in a huge way. And I don't really care what any DF fan says to that cuz their opinions became flawed the moment they supported such a disgusting company (AV)

Common sense tells me that if Darkfall had 20-35 developers for 8 years and MO had ~25 developers for half that, then MO is likely to have much less content than Darkfall, even after you factor in buying the game engine.

We can already see from the recent video, screenshots and journals that there is no full-scene shadows, no grass (!!!) or tree movement in the wind, no sunsets/sunrises... all these things are in Darkfall, plus player-crafted cities and hamlets, ships, and siege vehicles.

I'm sure MO will be a nice game in its own right but the facts all point to MO having less content than Darkfall.

• sandolainensandolainen Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by chokepoint

Common sense tells me that if Darkfall had 20-35 developers for 8 years and MO had ~25 developers for half that, then MO is likely to have much less content than Darkfall, even after you factor in buying the game engine.
    We can already see from the recent video, screenshots and journals that there is no full-scene shadows, no grass (!!!) or tree movement in the wind, no sunsets/sunrises... all these things are in Darkfall, plus player-crafted cities and hamlets, ships, and siege vehicles.
    I'm sure MO will be a nice game in its own right but the facts all point to MO having less content than Darkfall.

I don't agree. When you work on a game for 8 years you're gonna end up with lots of stuff that isn't usable. I'm sure there isn't much left of Darkfall from the first 3 or so years.

But instead of talking about whether or not there will be too many carebears, why don't we discuss the business model instead? What do you guys think about selling the game before the release like this, with a spot in the beta included? 

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

never underestimate the power of having really crappy devs

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• chokepointchokepoint Member Posts: 160
    Originally posted by itchmon

Well, Darkfall built their engine from scratch, and considering the game's performance in large sieges as well as things like the full-scene shadows and sunsets in Darkfall, they did a really outstanding job.

Right now, MOs devs are unproven.

I just think we should all be realistic about how much 'content' there is going to be in MO. In all likeliness it will be less than Darkfall. I think we should all be prepared for that.

I think MO will be fine if they focus on polishing the smaller amount of content they do have to a high level.

• sandolainensandolainen Member Posts: 62

Well, Darkfall built their engine from scratch, and considering the game's performance in large sieges as well as things like the full-scene shadows and sunsets in Darkfall, they did a really outstanding job.

I just think we should all be realistic about how much 'content' there is going to be in MO. In all likeliness it will be less than Darkfall. I think we should all be prepared for that.

I think MO will be fine if they focus on polishing the smaller amount of content they do have to a high level.

Well, I don't necessarily agree. Aventurine built their engine from scrath... I'm sure that took them a good few years. Star Vault has Unreal Engine 3, the overall best game engine there is right now, aswell as technologies like Grome and Speedtree for making a virtual world fast and easy. Compared to Aventurines struggle they can pretty much just design and put it in...

Then again, they've already said that the world will start small and grow with time as they make new content. So I guess you're right. But at least in my opinion that's not a problem if they can make that content fast enough and still keep it polished. And I have confidence that they can, based upon the tech they have access to.

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by sandolainen

But instead of talking about whether or not there will be too many carebears, why don't we discuss the business model instead? What do you guys think about selling the game before the release like this, with a spot in the beta included? 

I like it. It's pretty much what all other studios have done the last years, but without a subscription fee :)

I also like that they are being honest on what is going to be in the game

- The full Myrland continent

- At least 9 races, male and female

- Blood mix and character customization

- Main features of the skill system

- Full PvP, full loot

- Full melee and ranged combat

- Basic magic combat

- Mounts and mounted combat

- Basic GUI for the crafting system

- Resource gathering

- Basic Guild mechanics

- Basic player housing

- Basic NPC mobs and wildlife

- Hidden/secret features

Notice how they say there will be BASIC guild mechanics, npc mobs and wildlife, meaning they are telling us it wont be finished and completetly as they want it when they release. Honesty, I like it.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I am really confused about this comment about Darkfall.  The sieges are lag fests.  They have made some strides in improving the problem, but they have not solved it yet.  Also Darkfall's client is very badly written, in that it does many things the server should be doing, hence it is realitively easy to hack.  Not a good thing with a MMO.

Developing your own engine today is most assurdedly a braindead manuver unless you have a few geniuses working for you.   There are already some very good development tools out there and as we see in Darkfall's case, failure to make use of one of them can cause huge problems.

Technologically, Darkfall is very backward, hopefully Mortal Online won't be.

• pwnzorellOrpwnzorellOr Member Posts: 216

After the release of AoC and DF i was very disappointed, but the honesty of the devs from MO about what features will be in the game and how they communicate with the playerbase makes me a bit optimistic. I can live with compromises like a few safezones, pk penalties or other "carebear stuff" if they can deliver a real sandbox game with open pvp.

Oh and to all j00 hardcore df players, PLEASE STAY WITH DARKFALL, YOUR GAME IS SUPERIOR AND AVENTURINE WILL ENHANCE IT EVEN MORE, JUST HAVE FAITH AND PATIENCE!

jedi mind - heavenly divine, steadily shine in '99!