Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just in: patch 5 glimpse; redone starters area

So its kind of hard to not notice all the complaints about the boredom of the starters quests.. and just the starters area in general. It has even been adressed in the (EU) Webinar, and today there has been a first glimpse of what the new patch will contain, among which is the "new" starters area!

www.tcos.com/en/news,id291,creating_better_newbie_experience.html

Comments

• Saam1Saam1 Member UncommonPosts: 21

Thats good news. Seems that they actually listen what players say.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

Looks great. Hopefully its not too late considering that so many people already tried and dismissed this game based on the starter experience.

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837

can't see what you are refering to - can you paste it please?

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Reads very good, the developers are really dedicated and do care about their game.

Too bad that it's already too late, the game is dead. I don't blame Spellborn International Ltd. though, despite many flaws the game has, they seem to give their hearts and souls to make it better.

It's Acclaim and Frogster, the publishers who never cared to actually publish the game.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Too little, too late.

Time to bury this cur. There are new hounds coming to the yard.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

When i tried some best selling mmorpgs trials i found out that spellborn starting area is actually pretty good. They all have grinding and bored quests, long walks...and they are all boring. Spellborn will never be game for masses, most ppl will never accept that when  they die its not game´s fault, its their own fault. I dont think it will die anytime soon, but it will be always "not so popular mmorpg". I hope they add other content too and soon pls.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Interesting.

They finally add the much requested quest tracker. As it's absence was really a true nightmare. As often you had dozens of quests in your log and you wasted half your time plunging through them.

It seems the game is finally getting better bit by bit that I might give it another go soon.

Logged in last weekend on the EU PVE server and was suprised to see quite a number of people running around.

The server merges really paid off and should have been done a lot sooner to be honest.

Cheers

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319
    Originally posted by Guillermo197

It seems the game is finally getting better bit by bit that I might give it another go soon.

I haven't logged on for a while, but it wouldn't take much to bring me back. Mounts and some quest balancing (xp and difficulty) is really all it would take.

I've been spending a LOT of time beta testing the next crop of MMOG's and they really aren't any better. In fact, every one of them has an inferior combat system and quests that are less interesting.

• fldashfldash Member UncommonPosts: 227

I just tried this game tonight and was pretty impressed, it seems like fun, but the aiming attacks (ranged) seems gimicky because they are instant hit (right?). So as long as the cursor is over the target when you fire, it'll hit. I accidently downloaded the EU client, so was on the EU server... I only saw one other player, I got through the tutorial and landed at the newbie town thing, but I decided to quit and download the US version and see if there are any people about...

Former xFire user... I only wanted a game tracker and messenger, not a screenshot taker, video recording, broadcasting piece of bloatware.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Originally posted by Aganazer
    Looks great. Hopefully its not too late considering that so many people already tried and dismissed this game based on the starter experience.

Im one of those that tried the game, was very unimpressed by the starting experience, quit and uninstalled. Glad they are redoing it, but I am baffled that it wasnt done prior to release.

• DelanorDelanor Member Posts: 659
    Originally posted by Annekynn

Originally posted by Aganazer

Im one of those that tried the game, was very unimpressed by the starting experience, quit and uninstalled. Glad they are redoing it, but I am baffled that it wasnt done prior to release.

Well, actually they did do that, but just prior to release they also messed it up again, and even further when introducing that half-baked tutorial. I guess the dev team lacks the discipline to properly evaluate the changes they make and rely too much on player input to repair thing afterwards. Must be caused by being understaffed.

--
    Delanor

• CortechsCortechs Member Posts: 40

Personally I really didn't mind the starter area.  I haven't seen any better starter areas in other games.  The EQ2 "newbie" island was okay the first time, but painful afterwards.  WoW was the same type (fed-ex, kill X), as is WAR.

BTW, they also mentioned that a marketing push is coming soon, and one of the things they are waiting on is for the devs to code some things for marketing (which I took to mean your typical pre-order bonuses we see for most MMOs).

• MinoziMinozi Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Cortechs

BTW, they also mentioned that a marketing push is coming soon,

Where did you read that?

Originally posted by Minozi

Originally posted by Cortechs

BTW, they also mentioned that a marketing push is coming soon,

Where did you read that?

I read in acclaim forums that they gonna advertise this game more after E3. Maybe they gonna release new patch same time?

• CortechsCortechs Member Posts: 40

It was stated during the last webinar (the Acclaim marketing rep was there).