Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Ten Most Misused Words in MMOs

1234568»

Comments

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

I think were all missing something here about the term ,”WoW clone” The Op is right in his description but that's only half of it's meaning, we must remember that WoW,( like it or leave it) has a very public view, it's one of the most publicised mmorpg's in the market and one of the most well known mmorpg in the western world, you could go up to nearly anyone in the street and ask them to name an mmorpg, they would most likely say ,”World of Warcraft” it's become a point of reference for a lot of people, has mentioned in this thread already, people have grown up with this game,

So what I'm trying to say is, most of the time when people say,

” It's a WoW clone!”

all there just trying to say is,

“It's just like WoW” or “It plays a lot like WoW” or even “ It looks a lot like WoW”

not everyone is saying,

“It's a rip off of WoW, because WoW is the one and only, praise WoW!”

Maybe it didn't start off that way, but I think that's what it has become for a lot of people, instead of being an aggressive term it's just become a simple term for a reference point, this is not to say that it doesn't get used in the aggressive any more, it's just that it also gets used as a reference as well.

Anyway I guess that's my opinion or was that a different thread,

Great top ten list, I think it needs to be lengthened to a Top twenty list, or possibly a dictionary.

• NinjaVegaNinjaVega Member Posts: 52

Originally posted by namister2008

Originally posted by clwoods

Great article.  Seems more like a list of terms used "About mmo's" more than terms used "In mmo's".  If you're looking for terms used "In mmo's" look no further than the word "Noob".  That is a term that needs to die.

I agree, very derograty.  when does a noob become one of the lads/lasses.  I have played many many mmos and hate it more when I get called one for asking decent qs

step one to not being a noob: don't use words like lads/lasses

you have 99 steps to go