Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard's mysterious MMO

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

When i look at all the stuff Blizzard has done,i have yet to see ONE full complete project utilizing up to date standards.Tehy have ALWAYS been known for using OLD tech and selling it off as new tech ,i expect NOTHING to change now,why would they change,many reguard them as gods.

Blizzard is like a car salesman,we got you a 10k car but hey look it has all the features and is polished :D,so since it has al lthe featuyres and is polished we should be able to pan off this 10k car and market it as a lambourghini :D

Overhead views,low tech graphics,cheap models,instances are the norm not the added content.Combat is copied ,quests are the exact same hum drub,but we have our subscribers fooled ,they all aclaim we are doing everything different :D,and and ya our quests are POLISHED :D

No matter how cheap i feel Blizzard is ,in their productions, i still anticipate ANY new game by any developer in hopes they have grown up and can stand on their own two feet and deliver a product worthy of innovation and effort.Although i have extreme doubt in Blizzard's abilities to deliver innovation or anything unique,i will still withhold judgement until the product is finalized.

One thing i have got my eye on is the TIMING of Blizzards new game.SOE we know is the developer Blizzard likes to follow rather than lead and so happens SOE followed a new strategy in making a [so called  Free Realms game].Perhaps Blizzard is once again following in SOE 's footsteps?just a thought,i am not totally sold they are that lame ..YET.Just ask yourself what other ideas have come about recently and then remember it and see if Blizzard once again copies other developers brilliance[i fully expect it actually].

The idea behind the game HAS to be low tech as they will no doubt re use that ancient cheap gaming engine,because we would have heard of any liscensing deals and there has been none.Blizzard with all their money have yet to develop ANYTHING close to a decent game engine,i mean EPIC has 70 employees and is years ahead of Blizzard ,,sad really.

Simple guess?cartoon graphics,perhaps a free realms type game or they will rehash one of their own games .I know they recently bought some cheap old game ,i can't remeber the name of it ?leisure suit larry or redneck rampage,something like that.There is a VERY good reason a developer buys the rights to a game and it is not to play the game lol,they have plans for it so don't be surprised if it is related to the purchse.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by lornj

how come noone has done an mmo with vampires and such or one based on the forgotten realms series?

Yeah, I'd love to see an Underworld MMO, Humans, Vampires, and Lycan factions, that could be fun.. But as with all things, only if it's done right.

• Carl132pCarl132p Member UncommonPosts: 538
    Originally posted by Wizardry

When i look at all the stuff Blizzard has done,i have yet to see ONE full complete project utilizing up to date standards.Tehy have ALWAYS been known for using OLD tech and selling it off as new tech ,i expect NOTHING to change now,why would they change,many reguard them as gods.
    Blizzard is like a car salesman,we got you a 10k car but hey look it has all the features and is polished :D,so since it has al lthe featuyres and is polished we should be able to pan off this 10k car and market it as a lambourghini :D
    Overhead views,low tech graphics,cheap models,instances are the norm not the added content.Combat is copied ,quests are the exact same hum drub,but we have our subscribers fooled ,they all aclaim we are doing everything different :D,and and ya our quests are POLISHED :D
    No matter how cheap i feel Blizzard is ,in their productions, i still anticipate ANY new game by any developer in hopes they have grown up and can stand on their own two feet and deliver a product worthy of innovation and effort.Although i have extreme doubt in Blizzard's abilities to deliver innovation or anything unique,i will still withhold judgement until the product is finalized.
    One thing i have got my eye on is the TIMING of Blizzards new game.SOE we know is the developer Blizzard likes to follow rather than lead and so happens SOE followed a new strategy in making a [so called  Free Realms game].Perhaps Blizzard is once again following in SOE 's footsteps?just a thought,i am not totally sold they are that lame ..YET.Just ask yourself what other ideas have come about recently and then remember it and see if Blizzard once again copies other developers brilliance[i fully expect it actually].
    The idea behind the game HAS to be low tech as they will no doubt re use that ancient cheap gaming engine,because we would have heard of any liscensing deals and there has been none.Blizzard with all their money have yet to develop ANYTHING close to a decent game engine,i mean EPIC has 70 employees and is years ahead of Blizzard ,,sad really.
    Simple guess?cartoon graphics,perhaps a free realms type game or they will rehash one of their own games .I know they recently bought some cheap old game ,i can't remeber the name of it ?leisure suit larry or redneck rampage,something like that.There is a VERY good reason a developer buys the rights to a game and it is not to play the game lol,they have plans for it so don't be surprised if it is related to the purchse.

60% market share in an overdone genre is remarkable whether you like it or not negative nancy. As for the rest fo their games I don't care what technology they use as long as graphics start out up to date and the game play is as amazing as it always is in Blizzard games. Other games might go deeper in some areas of play but they alwasy suck at the basics and thus fail. When other developers stop sucking you can talk about how bad blizzard is.

• FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756

Partnership MMO with Disney. The Little Mermaid Online, the first ever underwater MMO. You heard it here first folks!

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Will this be a "WoW-Killer"? Haha.

• kopemakopema Member Posts: 263

Post-apocalyptic.

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

My bet is it's going to be sci-fi.

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

Source: www.massively.com/2009/05/19/the-digital-continuum-blizzards-mysterious-mmo/#continued

We've got a good reason to believe that Blizzard's next MMO is in actuality a new IP, which means it's the perfect time to discuss the potential of this newly crafted world. Assuming that Games Workshop isn't the inspiring factor for yet another Blizzard game, I'll lay out five settings that I hope will catch a few of you off guard.
    Here's the thing about Blizzard, they rarely stick to vanilla settings. Diablo is the only real exception, but even it had the addition of the Japanese inspired Assassin class and Celtic inspired Druid class. StarCraft's races range over a several influences and Warcraft pulls stuff from all over the place, chief among them being some steampunk.
    Will it be the same for this new IP?

Steampunk

Currently a popular choice with several of the MMO dedicated, largely because the niche hasn't been properly filled as of yet, steampunk offers a wide swath of varying settings. Although I've got a personal preference.
    Warmachine is tabletop game that's a blend of both steampunk and dark fantasy. It's a world with large mechanized machines controlled by powerful mages, and yet it also has plenty of sci-fi influence too. One of the world's factions -- the Cygnar -- actually fuel a few of their most powerful Warmachines with slightly erratic electrical engines instead of furnaces. Mostly though, it's a very steampunk kind of setting where guys with swords, guns and magic constantly tear each other apart. I highly recommend it to anyone with a thing for the setting.
    Blizzard has never been shy with their inspirational sources, and in the case of steampunk and Warmachine, I really wouldn't mind seeing them change their tune. The unfortunate truth is that Warmachine has always been a fascinating world unable to break free from its tabletop origins, which may be intentional on its creator's part. Even so, a Blizzard take on something like the Iron Kingdoms would be an instant hit whether people realize they want it or not.

Cyberpunk

Near dystopian futures never seem to go out of style, whether it's Neuromancer, Snow Crash, Blade Runner, The Matrix or Shadowrun. Of course, all these settings take their own paths in weaving a world of technology gone wrong. Some are more post apocalyptic than others, too. Most of my experience with them has been incredibly enthralling.
    In the case of cyberpunk, I can see it being sparsely used or twisted into Blizzard's own take on what kind of dark future the world holds for humanity. Admittedly, it would be very interesting to see a cyberpunk MMO from the company who brought us such a game changing title in their first attempt. Still, assuming Blizzard did a cyberpunk MMO, I imagine it wouldn't be too much like anything we're used to up until now.

Wuxia

I really loved the world of Jade Empire, and film epics set in the magical far east always seem to capture my imagination. Something about the mysterious "Far East" in movies and videogames is just so very entrancing. Of course, much like the cyberpunk setting I expect that Blizzard is more likely to cherry pick anything they may use from Wuxia. Then again, they did create the Pandarens -- even if it was a little bit of a joke.
    If they were looking to stand out in the crowded MMO market, a martial arts epic with a touch of steampunk or maybe even cyberpunk would definitely make everyone take a lot of notice. Something both modern and fantastical, with identifiable fantasy trappings alongside strange and less common locales of the far east.
    A guy can hope, right? I admit, this one is a bit of a reach. But if anything, maybe one of the races in their upcoming MMO will be heavily influenced by wuxia. Maybe we'll see Pandarens redux for all I know.
                                                                                                  Part 2

Dark Fantasy

Diablo fits into this category, but so do many other games and settings. Everything from BioWare's upcoming Dragon Age -- which leans a little more towards classic fantasy with elves and dwarfs -- to the aforementioned Warhamchine, which while heavily steampunk also carries many dark fantasy connotations.
    It's hard to guess what's going to be popular in a couple years, let alone the several it takes to develop an MMO. Still, one thing you can count on is for people to be interested in a dark world with a mysterious backstory. That's why I'm fairly certain that whether it's science fiction, fantasy, steampunk or whatever, it'll probably be darker than World of Warcraft.

Science Fantasy

It's not a term you hear too often, but Science Fantasy is something everyone probably quite familiar with: Star Wars. This is basically a world where, while science fiction is seemingly the source setting, fantasy is always lurking somewhere in the background. Star Wars being the very obvious example with the Force, evil emperors and Jedi, but there are other settings as well.
    A more recent franchise would be Mass Effect, which leans more towards sci-fi, but still carries some classic fantasy trappings like the game's reliance on dark energy to explain why people can perform the equivalence force push and create gravity wells. Still, Mass Effect is largely a sci-fi game first -- but the example holds.
    Obviously this would be double edged choice with Star Wars: The Old Republic coming along in a few years. Could Blizzard out-Star Wars, Star Wars? That's a pretty tall order and something I don't even really know how to answer. Part of me just wants to see them try it, to be honest.
    Conclusion
    Whatever it is that Blizzard is cooking up you can bet that it'll be their take on an established genre. Will it be a mixture of one or more of the above? Possibly, especially since I did cover a decent spread.

There's always the chance that we'll all be pleasantly surprised by something completely unexpected. I would say that with two major fantasy heavy titles and only one sci-fi title under their belt, chance favors this new IP to be sci-fi focused. On the other hand, Blizzard can kind of do whatever they want, It's really up to the men and women in charge. Something tells me that whatever they do, it'll be worth playing regardless.

igda chicago had a meeting that i attended with some of the head dev's working on this mmo. while the discussion was mainly set about how to get started in the mmo business. they did release some information. i do know thier office is in chicago, and that its not a new IP. its something that blizzard has done before, just making an mmo out of. they were surprised when blizzard approached them with it. they also reffer to blizzard as actizard now. 
    now this might have been diablo3 ( i consider diablo to be a mini mmo) they were working on, or it might be something else. all i know is that blizzard is coming out with something. then again who knows whats up blizzards sleeve.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by maniacfox

I think you missed out one of the biggest genres that is missing at the moment, HORROR. I don't mean weird alien-esque crap like Hellgate London was, I mean the real thing Vampires, Zombies, Werewolves, proper horror!!

I sure hope blizz don't make a game like that.   But if they do im sure WoD will be better anyways.

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548

I think you missed out one of the biggest genres that is missing at the moment, HORROR. I don't mean weird alien-esque crap like Hellgate London was, I mean the real thing Vampires, Zombies, Werewolves, proper horror!!

CCP bought Whitewolf, the mega-huge RPG publisher, creators and owners of The World of Darkness (vampire the masquerade, hunter, etc.). Why would they do this? Well they now own a huge publishing company, so that's always good to have. More importantly they own World of Darkness and have started working on creating basically World of Darkness Online. I believe they have made some statements that they are in the planning stages or have started work, could be wrong though heh.

If it's true then I think we'll be in for the ultimate Zombie/Vamp/Werewolf/whatever game. Just have to wait for some info to be released on it.

Oh and Blizz isn't the only bunch keeping things hush hush on a new mmo. Squaresoft has something new in the works too, same secrecy as Blizz's project.

• peglegpegleg Member UncommonPosts: 212

They need a game  combo of Diablo mob killing, AoC siege(asumeing it works) and WoW PvE with Ultima Online PvP.

All MMO's have grinds. If you don't like to Grind then MMO's are not for you.

• KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Lord_Ixigan

CCP bought Whitewolf, the mega-huge RPG publisher, creators and owners of The World of Darkness (vampire the masquerade, hunter, etc.). Why would they do this? Well they now own a huge publishing company, so that's always good to have. More importantly they own World of Darkness and have started working on creating basically World of Darkness Online. I believe they have made some statements that they are in the planning stages or have started work, could be wrong though heh.

If it's true then I think we'll be in for the ultimate Zombie/Vamp/Werewolf/whatever game. Just have to wait for some info to be released on it.

Oh and Blizz isn't the only bunch keeping things hush hush on a new mmo. Squaresoft has something new in the works too, same secrecy as Blizz's project.

Yes, it's true that CCP has been working on a WoD MMO.  This has been in the works for quite some time now.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/world-of-darkness-mmo-in-4-5-years

As for the new Blizz mmo, I'm curious as to what they come up with.  I can't deny that I played WoW for years.  Regardless of what others say about the game, I loved the pre BC WoW experience and many others are still enjoying their time in the game.

• WycliffeWycliffe Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I always thought Blizzard was smart for making their games have low system requirements. Believe it or not, lots of people have crappy gaming PCs or macs but despite this handicap still wish to casually play games. Blizzard, unlike many of their competitors, makes a product this demigraphic can actually use. I'm not advocating everyone should do the same, personally I love playing a game like Fallout3 at max settings and being blown away by visuals.

Also, Requiem - for the horror MMO discussion.

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

We've got a good reason to believe that Blizzard's next MMO is in actuality a new IP

what would be that reason?

im 100% positive that Blizzard said that for every game they released. We'r talking about a company that considers changing the art concepts 15% and renaming the races a new IP.

Inb4 "Transformables", "Pirates of the burning WoW" or "Age of Cohen"

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

Make a game that gives me something to work with.

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

Funcom are working on TSW which seems to be what you are asking for ..

"The game will feature an original setting created by Funcom, with contemporary elements as well as "magic, myths, conspiracies and dark horrors".[10] Contrary to rumors, spawned by this game's second working title, it has neither anything to do with, nor is inspired by the .hack franchise and its setting.[11] Tørnquist debunked several rumors surrounding The Secret World, stating that "there are no aliens or sci-fi elements" in it.[9] He also denied any connection of TSW to The Longest Journey.[9]

At GDC 2009, Tørnquist revealed more about the setting and the story.[2] He stressed that the game is set in the "modern day real world" but also incorporates pieces of ancient mythologies, real and false history, urban legends, and pop culture, and ties them into an original back-story. The latter is said to go back in time for 100 million years and encompass long extinct ancient civilizations. The players will assume the roles of supernatural heroes who participate in a "future war between good and evil", fighting dark monsters that threaten the modern world. Tørnquist identified the genre of the story as dark fantasy, mentioning vampiresdemons, and zombies. The players will be free to travel across different locations of the world (e.g. London and New York) and even in time, to pursue the overall plot and investigate new mysteries in connection to the dark invasion. The overall plot will have a conclusion but the designers also leave room for future expansions."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_World

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by daylight01

Funcom are working on TSW which seems to be what you are asking for ..
    "The game will feature an original setting created by Funcom, with contemporary elements as well as "magic, myths, conspiracies and dark horrors".[10] Contrary to rumors, spawned by this game's second working title, it has neither anything to do with, nor is inspired by the .hack franchise and its setting.[11] Tørnquist debunked several rumors surrounding The Secret World, stating that "there are no aliens or sci-fi elements" in it.[9] He also denied any connection of TSW to The Longest Journey.[9]
    At GDC 2009, Tørnquist revealed more about the setting and the story.[2] He stressed that the game is set in the "modern day real world" but also incorporates pieces of ancient mythologies, real and false history, urban legends, and pop culture, and ties them into an original back-story. The latter is said to go back in time for 100 million years and encompass long extinct ancient civilizations. The players will assume the roles of supernatural heroes who participate in a "future war between good and evil", fighting dark monsters that threaten the modern world. Tørnquist identified the genre of the story as dark fantasy, mentioning vampiresdemons, and zombies. The players will be free to travel across different locations of the world (e.g. London and New York) and even in time, to pursue the overall plot and investigate new mysteries in connection to the dark invasion. The overall plot will have a conclusion but the designers also leave room for future expansions."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_World

Yeah, but it's Funcom...

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042
    Originally posted by Jackio81

Originally posted by Zinfacter

Personally, I wish they'd stay out of the MMO market from now on. They're destroying the genre.

Why? If you want to blame someone for all the shitty WoW clones blame the companies for making those games.

WOW brought in all the douchebag bnet kiddies who are only interested in epeen stroking who ruined the concept of community. WOW brought in all the casuals who didnt have time to play MMOs of old, who feel their way should be the only way, the new kings of the selfish greedy player.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884
    Originally posted by protoroc

Personally, I wish they'd stay out of the MMO market from now on. They're destroying the genre.

Why? If you want to blame someone for all the shitty WoW clones blame the companies for making those games.

WOW brought in all the douchebag bnet kiddies who are only interested in epeen stroking who ruined the concept of community. WOW brought in all the casuals who didnt have time to play MMOs of old, who feel their way should be the only way, the new kings of the selfish greedy player.

Irony? Selfirony?

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042

Read some threads about soloing, many of these casuals take it as an affront against nature if you suggest a game needs more grouping. Rattling on about forced gameplay, yet oblivious to the fact they advocate forcing their style of play on others.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Read some threads about soloing, many of these casuals take it as an affront against nature if you suggest a game needs more grouping. Rattling on about forced gameplay, yet oblivious to the fact they advocate forcing their style of play on others.

I miss the grouping of Anarchy Online.  The classes where designed to inter-built togueter really great. Even we (the hackers) where somewhat usefull in a group. 

But yea, the instasatisfaction kids killed it all. Now theres like a new generation that will never understand what the fuss with grouping, even thinking grouping is a burden.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

Blizzard dominates the PVE Fantasy market, which is arguably the largest segment of MMO gamers.  And WOW is getting old. 

If Blizzard wants to continue to dominate the PVE Fantasy market, they will have to come out with a new PVE Fantasy game at some point.  Now it may be a nauseating mesh of fantasy + sci-fi (or steampunk), but I would guess it will be mostly fantasy-based.

If Blizzard does not do this, then they are saying goodbye to the PVE Fantasy players who are worn out on WOW.

Now, there are lots of MMO niches out there besides PVE Fantasy, but the latter is where the money has been.

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

this wow casual is joke . first off , china 6 mln, eu 3mln usa 3 mln, more or less,

second those commercials who gets casuals in the genre are almost exclusive to usa, there are few german and french.. isnt there? , so its only usa market, with all yours casuals , which even then doubt makes 50% wow usa pop.. which returns to meager 1.5mln

second off.. whole wow casualisation didnt start till late tbc, by that time wow already have over 10 mln subs..

this whole casuals argument is silly, atleast till tbc wow was far from casual, in time needed, and stuff.. and thats when wow grew this much, to become giant,

its just pure silly nonsence wow hates invented.. HEY YOU KNOW WHAT, whou would say soe games as eq or vanguard is casuals.. well i can. you open soe launcher.. it autstart games.. it even auto logins.. auto selects hero.. and auto enters game..

1 click and few seconds.. and look im already in game..

now thats much faster and easer than actions i need to get into wow.. i start the game.. i login.. i slect hero.. i enter the game.. atleast 3 actions..

so eq2 is casual ? no its not. it would be casual if it had 10 mln instead of 250k or what it have..

get a grip

• SoejckdswgSoejckdswg Member Posts: 338

i always thought a chronicles of riddic mmo would be cool. you could have the space stuff and the supernatural/fantasyy stuff combined in one place.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

Originally posted by pencilrick

Blizzard dominates the PVE Fantasy market, which is arguably the largest segment of MMO gamers.  And WOW is getting old. 
    If Blizzard wants to continue to dominate the PVE Fantasy market, they will have to come out with a new PVE Fantasy game at some point.  Now it may be a nauseating mesh of fantasy + sci-fi (or steampunk), but I would guess it will be mostly fantasy-based.
    If Blizzard does not do this, then they are saying goodbye to the PVE Fantasy players who are worn out on WOW.
    Now, there are lots of MMO niches out there besides PVE Fantasy, but the latter is where the money has been.

Guess 1... only posters on forums are worn out on Wow. And not even all of them. :))) Proof: they didn't stay in the alternatives being offered.

Guess 2: Top 10 sales of PC games are still dominated with all Wow products, from basic boxes to Battle chests, from TBC to WotLK.

Guess 3: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 best selling PC game is Wow+expansions.

Guess 4: why does your personal opinion doesn't mean much compared to the new guy buying the basic box (and leading to those top sales in guess 2 and 3 above).

Guess 5: PVE Fantasy isn't going nowhere without Wow, even for the next 5 years after which Wow 2 could be launched.

So the next MMO from Blizzard will certainly be a SF alternative.

They simply want BOTH markets. If not the triple : console based mmo (they don't sit down with Microsoft to talk about the weather conditions at the moment)....

The game has been successful, no doubt, but it cannot last forever.   While Blizzard is attracting new players each year, it is letting go more and more of the early players (i.e., 2004 - 2005 folks).  Blizzard said themselves they needed to hold onto these folks or someone else would snatch them up.

I'm still guessing Fantasy with maybe some Sci-Fi.  I would seriously doubt pure Sci-Fi.  And WOW is dying already, look at the server pops.  It is starting its downward fall. 

There are lots of Sci-Fi coming out to compete against one another, yet nothing very promising on the proven Fantasy market.  You don't satisfy a market with a waning product.

(And "your personal opinion" means any more than mine?)