Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Opinion of this game

grimmwulfgrimmwulf Member Posts: 4

I have been playing Disciple for the last week, and I wanted to share my opinion of this game.  I have been playing web based games for years, starting with the old muds, and more rescently spending a lot of time in games such as dark orbit and duels.com.  To start I must say I am, in general extremely impressed with Disciple, and what it has to offer, with a few side notes.

My first comment is that I have noticed this game is semi-connected and heavily promoted on mmorpg.com.  I have come to mmorpg.com for awhile, but never joined the site until today.  I don't understand why the makers of Disciple are promoting their game so heavily on this site.  MMORPG.com is a site focused on client MMOs, and I think Disciple is going to get a lot of negative criticism on this site that they don't neccesarily deserve because the user base here will undoubtably compare the game to huge client MMOs like LOTRO and WAR.  The game would probably be better received by an audience interested in browser games.

Being a bit of a flash guy myself, I can tell that the people that made this game took a lot of time and care in what they have made.  Flash has a lot of restrictions, and making games like this in flash with no download is a monumental task.  That being said, I am going to give each portion of the game a 1-10 rating, and then comment on each section.

Gameplay - fun factor:  8/10

Graphics: 9/10

Social: 7/10

Item diversity: 6/10

Attack and stat system: 8/10

Speed and performance: 4/10

Gameplay:

This is the best part of the game in my opinion.  Its very similar to duels.com with a focus on fighting other players and increasing your rankings.  What is better is that there are rich graphics, instead of just static images.  The systems and attack options are great.  You start out with only two attacks, but by the time you reach level 7, you have enough attacks to really start thinking about combinations and making sure you've built your character right.  I was playing the other night as a Bloodletter, and this Warlord was really upset I kept beating him.  We must have fought 9 or 10 times, and each time he was getting more an more upset.  I think he beat me twice in total.  But this is what Disciple is all about, competition.

Graphics:

The Graphics are simply amazing.  I have been playing browser games for years, like I said, and I have never seen anything like this.  I know they have games like Fusion Fall, but that requires a 2GB download.  Its not really comparable.  I travel a lot and often find myself in strange places.  Airports, hotels, computers that are not my own, etc.  Having a game with graphics this rich that requires no download to speak of is a major relief for me.

Social:

The social system has a good foundation.  You can add friends, enemies, track them across the game and have ongoing relationships with them be it negative or positive.  You can also create clans (guilds) which is more than I could do in duels.com when that game first launched.  The only complaint I have about the social system is that its not a top layer function.  I usually have to click through 1 or 2 screens to get to my friends list, I think people would use these features more if they were on the surface.

Item Diversity:

The items that are available look great, and seem balanced in terms of bonuses.  I would like to see more items, however.  This is a gripe I have with almost every game I play.  Everyone wants to be unique and have something special.  I did notice that after level 10 the options for armor and weapons increase a lot.  I would like the makers of the game to add more items to the early levels, and even more to the high levels.  Also a dye system would be a nice to have.

Attack and Stat system:

The system seems mostly balanced.  Shamans start out a little week, but are able to hold their own after level 7 or so.  The Mind, Body Spirit system is complex enough to make people think, but simple enough that if you read the manual and think for 30 minutes you will be able to make some pretty good choices.  I can see the creators thought hard about this system, because I can see that each class could potentially have more than one successful build. This is a solid foundation, with some small adjustments it will be perfect.

Speed and Performance:

I won't beat around the bush on this one, the game is slow.  Navigating through all of the pages is fast, but waiting for fights to load just takes to long.  I understand the limitations of flash, and have dealt with these issues myself, but as a player, I just don't care.  I have no problem waiting a few seconds for a fight, but more then that and I start to get anxious and impatient.  I am sure the devs are working on it.  I think if they can solve this problem, they will have the "next big thing". 

In closing I would say this is a great game.  If they clean up the performance issues, and follow through with small updates, this game will go extremely far.  I would urge people to understand that this is a browser game.  If you want to compare this to something, compare it to duels.com, because as far as I can see, that is their closest competition.  From my experience Disciple is way beyond what duels.com has to offer, both in terms of gameplay and visuals.

My name in Disciple is 'Belios'.  Look me up :)

Overall rating: 8/10

Fix the performance issues and its 10/10

Comments

• ZSlayaZSlaya Member Posts: 30

every time i have tried to play Disciple, it is very slow and unresponsive

• nukedudenukedude Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by ZSlaya

the only thing LOTRO is worthy of being compared to is a pile of shit

EPIC LOL

Edit: just saw u changed ur post, but none the less, i rofled ^^