Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Dana Massey: Why Not Well Animated MMOs?

Comments

• jusagamfrekjusagamfrek Member Posts: 56

The boss will immediately ask two questions when this is brought up: first how will it impact server performance, and then how will it impact client performance.  Keep in mind, this impact must scale with the expected number of players that will be in the affected area.  Adding any semblance of realistic animation is likely going to increase the load on both, even if the server simply chooses the most likely animation from a pool of say 10 different death animations (ragdoll physics aside).  A different route would be to have the server send a simple "toe tag" to let the client know you died, at which point it could choose a random animation - less realistic, but a step in the right direction.  There are teams dedicated to these performance issues, and this is one area that is often left on the cutting room floor.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible.  This will improve with time, but it has to contend with the the balancing act that is inherent in the mmo genre.  Most likely, the day you see mmo's with animations as good as fps's is the day you'll see fps's support thousands of people on the same map.  In Requiem, they very cleverly placed mobs so that you never have too many in the immediate area.  As for CoX, they do use increased physics (mainly for particle fx), but this is handled by the client, and, if you notice, enemies still all die in a similar fashion - even thrown in the air they perform the animation as if they were still standing on the ground.  For that matter, keep an eye out the next time you're playing your favorite fps in multiplayer on a large map - when you shoot a guy in the back does he fall forward?

• BhagpussBhagpuss Member Posts: 58

"Realistic" or "immersive" animations?

No thanks.

I don't play console games, or even offline PC games, so keeping up with graphics there isn't an issue. I like my MMOs to have first-rate set and costume design, and I like character movement to be smooth and practical to use;  beyond that "reactive" animations, where the character does something visual because of something that's happenng in-game, are just distracting and irritating.

Get killed, grab chest, fall over - that's absolutely fine. Set-piece reaction animations are all gosh-wow the first time you see them, but in MMO gameplay you get to see them thousands of times and after the novelty wears off in about ten minutes, the main thing you end up thinking is "oh just get on with it".

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by jusagamfrek

The boss will immediately ask two questions when this is brought up: first how will it impact server performance, and then how will it impact client performance.  Keep in mind, this impact must scale with the expected number of players that will be in the affected area.  Adding any semblance of realistic animation is likely going to increase the load on both, even if the server simply chooses the most likely animation from a pool of say 10 different death animations (ragdoll physics aside).  A different route would be to have the server send a simple "toe tag" to let the client know you died, at which point it could choose a random animation - less realistic, but a step in the right direction.  There are teams dedicated to these performance issues, and this is one area that is often left on the cutting room floor.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible.  This will improve with time, but it has to contend with the the balancing act that is inherent in the mmo genre.  Most likely, the day you see mmo's with animations as good as fps's is the day you'll see fps's support thousands of people on the same map.  In Requiem, they very cleverly placed mobs so that you never have too many in the immediate area.  As for CoX, they do use increased physics (mainly for particle fx), but this is handled by the client, and, if you notice, enemies still all die in a similar fashion - even thrown in the air they perform the animation as if they were still standing on the ground.  For that matter, keep an eye out the next time you're playing your favorite fps in multiplayer on a large map - when you shoot a guy in the back does he fall forward?

I dont see how using a motion suit to get the animations to look a lot more real would influense the server performance.

However to use collision detection to actually make the sword hit the opponent will, yes. And I think it is worth it.

We have a lot faster net today then 10 years ago so I don't see while this isn't possible.

And of course we can have some games with the old, crappy animations but not a single MMO have good ones, I can live with a game that uses instances to make the fights look really good if that is what it takes.

Graphics have evolved so much in the last 10 years but inthis aspect have the MMOs been stomping in the same spot.

• peacekraftpeacekraft Member Posts: 189

Hopefully all the motion suit animations will work well - but didnt they do that for Conan?

Aion looks to have some good combat animation but will just have to see how fluid that is.

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920

Everquest II has some pretty good character animations.

Does it fit more squarely into this criteria than other games? 

===============================

• RSloftRSloft Member Posts: 11

I'd rather the big gaming companies put the kind of emphasis needed in quality animation into quality of game.

That's the hugest problem with the gaming market now. It seems they try to capture the user with flashy graphics and bouncing mammories (Well that part is ok). Everquest Original is a great example. When luclin came out we had all the new player models. It was neat, I turned my character model on to use the new mount system but that was about it.

Lets look at how this whole genre started, paper pencils and dice. It wasn't neccisary for the players to have flashy images of their characters. Some of my friends would draw what their character looked like, it didn't change the game one bit. And more often then not the flashiest images in the room were the stolen gas station signs and the logo on my box of gum drops.

MMORPGs is about living a story and making new friends. I personally enjoy mine with 80 of my friends behind me taking turns kicking dragons in the genitals till they ejaculate pure fear. But do we really need our computers crying for liquid nitrogen cooling to make realistic jellybeans move in unison to the jello-ish mass inside the shirts of Elves? Not really.

Give us games, and give us good games that can be run on computers made in the past 5 years. Then once that solid game is made, throw in the character animations to assist in the story telling.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by jadan2000

Originally posted by Dana

Originally posted by Deewe

So you're asking for better animations? Well, why not but is it really so imporant?
     I look at the past successful games and the evolution of gaming and I see better sound, nicer graphics and many many poor game play. 
     Honestly graphics are just a topping in a FUN game even in MMOs.
     I'd rather have studios spend more time and $$$ on gameplay and content then and only then if they can afford it, enhance graphics and animations.
     But well before that and especially in MMO I wish the studio spent more time on the following key elements that are always poorly done:

GUI
    Chat functionnality
    Guild mechanics
    Friend list features
    Inventory management
    Auction houses interaction

In fact all that stands between the player and his character.
    I'm very surprized such major features are mostly rushed out considering they can make or break the game play.
     Don't get me wrong, I'm an explorer type of gamer so I like nice graphics but they always come after the game play. A nice game with poor game play won't last more than a few hours. Honestly when you are engaged in challenging and fast combat you don't really focus on animations you don't have the time to. 

Trust me, at no point would I rather have pretty animations than a good game. However, for a major studio, this is not an either/or proposition. Saying "we chose to concentrate on good content rather than good animations" is just code for saying "designers cost less to hire than animators."

Dana, im so glad u said that. I grt so tired of people on these forums acting like there can only be one or the other. Why cant we have new updated graphics and a good content based game at the same time.... 

Because of time and money.

• Erowid420Erowid420 Member Posts: 93

Originally posted by Deewe

So you're asking for better animations? Well, why not but is it really so imporant?
     I look at the past successful games and the evolution of gaming and I see better sound, nicer graphics and many many poor game play. 
     Honestly graphics are just a topping in a FUN game even in MMOs.
     I'd rather have studios spend more time and $$$ on gameplay and content then and only then if they can afford it, enhance graphics and animations.
     But well before that and especially in MMO I wish the studio spent more time on the following key elements that are always poorly done:

GUI
    Chat functionnality
    Guild mechanics
    Friend list features
    Inventory management
    Auction houses interaction

In fact all that stands between the player and his character.
    I'm very surprized such major features are mostly rushed out considering they can make or break the game play.
     Don't get me wrong, I'm an explorer type of gamer so I like nice graphics but they always come after the game play. A nice game with poor game play won't last more than a few hours. Honestly when you are engaged in challenging and fast combat you don't really focus on animations you don't have the time to. 

Trust me, at no point would I rather have pretty animations than a good game. However, for a major studio, this is not an either/or proposition. Saying "we chose to concentrate on good content rather than good animations" is just code for saying "designers cost less to hire than animators."

I'm just not following that logic, care to explain a tad more ..?

Horrible animations can ruin a game(Darkfall), but superb animation means nothing without great gameplay. As you can see, "animations" is the least of any gamers worries and I'm dumbfounded as to your standpoiont. Everyone wants better animations, but not at the cost of other development.

- Knowledge is power, ive been in school for 28 years!

• hanshotfirsthanshotfirst Member UncommonPosts: 712

I love how every dweeb with three minutes worth of Wikipedia education and cracked copy of Maya thinks they're an authority on graphics and animation.

All too often, these are the exact same folks pitching a fit over the use of "immersion-breaking" channeling and instancing, which their completely unrealistic expectations drive developers to resort to.

• faefrostfaefrost Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by fiontar

You know, I can at least understand why we don't have more variety of animations to match every hit location or death event. You could make hundreds of highly specific animations and still wish you could have more.
    However, what is inexcusable is the largely mediocre to poor quality of  existing character animations in most MMORPGs today. Quality does vary. You'll definitely notice the difference when you play a game with good animation, then play one where it's lacking.
    It seems to come down to three things; time, money and talent. You really need all three to get things right, but a huge focus on talent. Talented animators can do more with in time and monetary budgets. Even for really good animators, it's about having the time to tweak animations until they are just right. I've animated 3D humans for short clips of CGI video and I know the rough animations are less than half the fight, the fine tuning is what takes time, but pays the highest dividends.
    The thing is, the extra effort is worth it. Players, when turning away from a game they went into with high hopes, actually DO often cite poor animations as a common element in what turned them off to a title. Great animations won't save a game with troubles elsewhere, but poor animations can be the tipping point when someone is on the fence about a decent, or even good game.
    It's also something people will notice right away during that crucial first impressions phase. I can think of two titles I've played where the horrible animations actually precluded me from giving those games a fair shake. And a couple where the lackluster animations contributed to me leaving games I might otherwise have stuck with.
    There really is no excuse for lack of quality in animations we see in most MMORPGs today.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner.

And here's the kicker. Something Ms Massey sort fo misses when she talks about an inadequite number or variety of death animations. The death animations or the particular event animations in a game are almost completely irrelevant. Yes it is nice that they are fancy and varried. But it is the characters LIFE animations that add far more to the immersion.

And by life animations I do not mean e-motes, or attack or spellcasting routines. Yes they can make you go Wow! and hold your attention a little bit. But ultimately what sucks you in. What really holds you to your character and makes it feel more real to you is those animation sequences that you never really notice are there.

One excellent way to look at this is to compare to fairly current games. One older with a very low rez graphics engine, and somewhat absurd cartoony avatars. (in this case woW, sorry haters) and the other a much more state of the art newer game with a very detailed high rez engine and beutifully detailed more realistic avatars. (WAR). Both games are using very very similar source material, ie races, overall feel etc.

Now most who have played both games seem to come away with a strange impression that WAR feels more dead. There is something more unnatural about the more highly detailed avatars. They just cannot put their finger on it. The cruder brightly colored and cartoony WoW avatars just seem more alive. And most could not offer an explanation to why.

The reason why is simple. When they made WoW, and animated the avatars Blizzard borrowed some tricks from old school cartoons. They put in a most of subtle almost imperceptable animations, that the players eye registers even if they dont consciously percieve. The WoW characters do not just stand in neutral positions, they are in constant subtle motion, shifting weight from foot to foot, scratching, and subtlest yet most important of all, breathing. WoW avatars have a constant animation of breathing. Their chests rising and falling. In cold weather it even shows as misty breath. if you are not specifically looking for it you almost never notice it, but your eye percieves it, and it deepens the illusion and the immersion in the game.

Whereas WAR spent alot of time doing beautifully detailed avatars, with lots of on event animations for combat and e-motes. But they skipped much of the subtle neutral movements. As a result while the game looks great on the surface, your eye percieves the avatars as much more manequin like for reasons that you just cant quite put your finger on.

• KainisKainis Member Posts: 436
    Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by jusagamfrek

I dont see how using a motion suit to get the animations to look a lot more real would influense the server performance.

However to use collision detection to actually make the sword hit the opponent will, yes. And I think it is worth it.

We have a lot faster net today then 10 years ago so I don't see while this isn't possible.

And of course we can have some games with the old, crappy animations but not a single MMO have good ones, I can live with a game that uses instances to make the fights look really good if that is what it takes.

Graphics have evolved so much in the last 10 years but inthis aspect have the MMOs been stomping in the same spot.

Two words: It doesn't. In many cases, animations captured by the famous dot-suits, are actually smaller in file size, than a comparable keyframed file. The reason is, every interaction between body parts, is all recorded anyway to hit the final key in the sequence. Want a finger sticking from a fist that is waving? Do it with an actor in real time. Now go back and do it again, trying key framing, and you will find that there are a lot of potential keys that could make up the animation for it to look right. Not so with what you call the "motion suits". With those, there are two main keys- the beginning frame and the end frame. Makes for a much smaller file size in many cases.

Now in regards to server performance, it means absolutely nothing which you use. The only data stored on the server, is spread sheets and tables. All of the graphics/ sound/ animation files are stored client side. If your pc is descent enough to load hi-rez graphics in an mmo without a hiccup, then it is certainly able to load corresponding animations with no problem at all (unless there is a bug). It is in the models/ textures loading usually that get people into trouble because those are some of your larger file sizes. All the server is doing is reading spreadsheets like a D&D game master is reading the campaign and dice roll results. All the hard work is put on the end user's pc.

Instances are in for two reasons. Dungeon instances are there to seperate your crawl from some epeen looking to annoy. Other instances, such as AoC's are there to help cut down on the number of players possible in the zone, since your pc partially loads every one of them in the zone, and then completely loads them once they come within view. If it is high rez, that is a LOT to load for the average pc. Many cinematics require a server farm of some size to render something similiar. However, in game animations are small compared to those other files, and therefore do not in any way contribute to the hiccup potential. This goes for both keyframed and motion captured.

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

Originally posted by hanshotfirst

I love how every dweeb with three minutes worth of Wikipedia education and cracked copy of Maya thinks they're an authority on graphics and animation.
    All too often, these are the exact same folks pitching a fit over the use of "immersion-breaking" channeling and instancing, which their completely unrealistic expectations drive developers to resort to.

I wouldn't be quite that harsh on most people. It is simply that many are uneducated as to what we go through to make things work the way they do. But that's where it is our jobs as professionals; to come in and educate, however we can. Only then can we match up expectations with results.

All too often the ignorant come into a studio, guns 'ablazing', like you said, thinking that because they have this really cool idea of what is supposed to happen, which somehow got them a director/ producer/ designer position- that it will actually happen that way. Wrong. It happens the way that Autodesk says it will happen. Otherwise, hope you have a really good plug-in writer or two on staff.

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

--
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

• 0k210k21 Member Posts: 866

"I love how every dweeb with three minutes worth of Wikipedia education and cracked copy of Maya thinks they're an authority on graphics and animation."

I love how you think that you can act like the cool or tough guy on the internet and not look like a complete moron.

Do you seriously think any of these developers currently making these games even have a degree? Maybe some do, but the majority of them probably just learned the skills like the rest of us.

Go back to your cave troll

Quoting people doesn't make you clever, in fact, it makes you all the more stupid for not bothering to read the quotes you post in the first place.

• m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460

Question:   Are ragdoll type physics too taxing on a MMO not to be used?  I'm thinking a game like Oblivion or Fallout 3 where everything happens using a ragdoll type physics, like falling off a cliff, the npcs or player looks like a ragdoll falling through the sky, even falling 100x's you land 100 different ways.

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

• jusagamfrekjusagamfrek Member Posts: 56
    Originally posted by Loke666

Using animation suits for typical movements shouldn't  impact the server's performance at all - personally I'm all for them, as well.  Choosing from even a small subset of data on the server to determine what animation should be used when someone is killed would have an impact on the server - albeit not drastically for a single person.  However, when you throw in a few thousand people, then it can get more taxing.  It's not processing huge chunks of data for a few people; it's processing very small chunks for a massive amount of people, so even simple things can have a significant impact - not drastic, necessarily, but significant to your overall goals.  Also keep in mind that network speed and server processing power are two different things, though you're right, both have improved dramatically in the last decade.  Where the client takes the hit is rendering the animation for the 50 people on his screen, though unless the animation pulls some funky fx that start pulling textures out of a hat, this probably won't make much of a difference on an up-to-date computer.  So at the end of the day, the arguments against better death animations are dwindling, meaning we'll probably see them drastically improve sooner rather than later.  As for the rest of the animations that are only handled client-side, well I could only point to the toolsets for mmo's as an excuse (and it's not much of one), but that's a whole new can of worms.

Still, I'm on the fence about whether it's worth the cost right now, though as you note, instancing would be a good way to make it happen.  And perhaps to even further your argument, I would cite Planetside.  I can't tell you how disappointed I am that nobody really pays any attention to the technical marvel that was Planetside (admittedly it was far from perfect, but what they squeezed out of the servers was amazing imho).  But again it comes down to a balancing act, and the people with the money carry the most weight.  They like a clearly delineated and catchy feature list, and putting "realistic animations" on the box in this day and age often strikes the wrong cord with them (they expect that to be a given).   That being the case, the arguments for improving animation such as these may be the only way let the money know how important it is.

Originally posted by m240gulf

Question:   Are ragdoll type physics too taxing on a MMO not to be used?  I'm thinking a game like Oblivion or Fallout 3 where everything happens using a ragdoll type physics, like falling off a cliff, the npcs or player looks like a ragdoll falling through the sky, even falling 100x's you land 100 different ways.

Nope. Not really at all. The taxing part comes in the newly popular Havoc engine that is being used for ragdoll. Not many mmo studios know how to model and rig for it, and not many coders really know how to code for it, to make it a more viable option... yet. I say "yet" because the industry is growing in its knowledge of how to use it, so expect more studios to be starting the pipeline with Havoc in mind. A similiar thing happened with the film industry, when Massive (and it's knockoffs) were brought into affect a few years ago. Now it is almost mainstream to use such a program for those kinds of situations. The same thing will happen with ragdoll.

-----------------------

--
    --

• JosherJosher Member Posts: 2,818

The quality od animation is only limited by the animators themselves.  There are plenty of keyframes to go around.  If the run cycle is stiff or the attacks look lame, blame it on the guys with action figures on their desks.

Realistic animation is not always the best animation.  In AOC for example the transitions are badly done and when coupled with an overall realistic style, it all falls a part.  Lets not even go into the horrible run animations, sliding and skating.  Some of it is well done while other parts are stiff and awkward which kills the whole package.  I don't think their avatars blink, which is a big damn problem when they look kinda real.   All motion capture in MMOs just hasn't delivered for me, besides emotes=)

WOW on the hand is about as high quality as you're going to get in a MMO to date.  Like someone previously mentioned, most people won't even notice all the subtlety and thats because its THAT good.  BLizzard's animators are excellent.  Sure, the death animations are the same and there could be more variety overall, but thats every MMO.  The whole package works though.

WAR is a mixed bag.  Some of it is excellent while certain classes seemed like they were animated by interns who just started animating a week earlier.

Older MMOs like EQ up through DAOC, were horrible.  I don't think they actually hired animators at all=)  Certain newer MMOs, like Darkfall probably had their coders doing double duty.  Its near embarrasing.

Aion looks very promising.  Every video I've seen is quite impressive.

Animation in all MMOs can be improved esspecially when it comes to volume.  There just needs to be more of it, but that can reduce performance, so there has to be a happy medium.  Havok would be a great addition as long as it doesn't interfere with performance in a persistent world.  This is all coming from someone who beta tested 3DSMax back in 1995 and has been teaching it regularly ever since.  I've been animating for quite a while now.  Animation in games is very important for immersion, at least for me.  It can always be better.

• Otaku_IshiOtaku_Ishi Member UncommonPosts: 12

I couldn't Agree with you more Dana, over my experience of alpha testing, beta testing, pre alpha, pre beta testing of games in the past 16 years... 

I'm sick of all the look a likes, give us some vibrant being that a game is suppose to be... like mimicing life itself but in its own setting like sci-fi etc... 

Atleast some of the new FPS games for consoles is trying to work on it (one only i know of i think it was the new CoD)

I want to see skin get pushed in when getting stabbed and flesh hanging off or getting slightly puffy or how about an infection on a cut wound when a cut with a sword or that big ogre that just hit you with a axe grazed you with a chance on a miss...

How about breathing enhanced when running for a long period of time and sweat appearing whenever you waged a huge battle continuously...? 

I mean my god I would be addicted and drooling over games like this!

I've played over 2,000 test phases for greater than 72 hours and I tell you... I want a game like the above.. stop with the idiotic look a likes and take a chance...

As for your game wish, if it had realisticness in it.... I'm sure people would of loved the game... I heard of the game but unfortunately wasn't able to stay up to date with it...

Also the weather systems needs enhancing!!! like snow stacking upon your armor  when out in it standing in one spot for a while... eventually causing you to freeze after being turned into a snowman from standing in one spot for 30 minutes or more..

THESE TYPE OF GAMES... (sorry for caps but im gonna do it) ARE NEEDED! there... i said some of what I wanted to say...

If i could get all the game devs togeather id ring everyone one of their necks lol and force feed it to them until they start developing stuff like this... and also same goes for those who back them up in wage so the production continues.. 

ugh.... i feel so sick just thinking about it... think I'm gonna go have a beer to calm me down... make it a case if game mimicing continues...

• BrawlkingBrawlking Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by faefrost

Something Ms Massey sort fo misses when she talks about an inadequite number or variety of death animations.

Um, I thought Dana was a dude. amirite? O_o

• silkakcsilkakc Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Josher

The quality od animation is only limited by the animators themselves.  There are plenty of keyframes to go around.  If the run cycle is stiff or the attacks look lame, blame it on the guys with action figures on their desks.
    Realistic animation is not always the best animation.  In AOC for example the transitions are badly done and when coupled with an overall realistic style, it all falls a part.  Lets not even go into the horrible run animations, sliding and skating.  Some of it is well done while other parts are stiff and awkward which kills the whole package.  I don't think their avatars blink, which is a big damn problem when they look kinda real.   All motion capture in MMOs just hasn't delivered for me, besides emotes=)
    WOW on the hand is about as high quality as you're going to get in a MMO to date.  Like someone previously mentioned, most people won't even notice all the subtlety and thats because its THAT good.  BLizzard's animators are excellent.  Sure, the death animations are the same and there could be more variety overall, but thats every MMO.  The whole package works though.
    WAR is a mixed bag.  Some of it is excellent while certain classes seemed like they were animated by interns who just started animating a week earlier.
    Older MMOs like EQ up through DAOC, were horrible.  I don't think they actually hired animators at all=)  Certain newer MMOs, like Darkfall probably had their coders doing double duty.  Its near embarrasing.
    Aion looks very promising.  Every video I've seen is quite impressive.

I couldn't agree with you more! WoW's animations are the best and most fluid I have seen in the games I have played. But they have to scrimp elsewhere to accommodate those great motions. That's why the world graphics look like they do. If they made the world graphics as excellent as their animations are- wouldn't  that greatly reduce performance and fps?

But the thing is, I'd rather play a game with gorgeous world graphics than great animations. LoTRO's animations are a lil clunky and stilted  but the world is so freaking gorgeous! I want life-like water reflections and zillions of textures and constellations in the sky and all that jazz.

I might be odd but I want a pretty world more than I want pretty combat and death scenes. If I could have both, that'd be great but I probably would need some monster quad-core PC to run it with 8 gigs of RAM LOL! Or is 16 gigs the max now?

Is my theory wrong? That animations are kept minimalistic so that the Devs can put more pizzazz into the world graphics? I don't know anything about game development and software engineering- I'm just guessing.

Lori

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415
    Originally posted by Brawlking

Originally posted by faefrost

Something Ms Massey sort fo misses when she talks about an inadequite number or variety of death animations.

Um, I thought Dana was a dude. amirite? O_o

Apparently putting the photo in the column isn't enough to convince everyone I am indeed a dude ;)

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• BrawlkingBrawlking Member Posts: 57

Apparently putting the photo in the column isn't enough to convince everyone I am indeed a dude ;)

Apparently not, I saw the photo and tried to go back to point to it but couldnt find it again. Had a friend named Dana in high school, definitely a dude.

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/3046/Well-Animated-MMOs.html Click there, hes the blonde dude in the pic on the right.

• kittenbotkittenbot Member Posts: 27

one MMO that did have pretty nice animations was tabula rasa, they added lotsw of little attention to detail anims, such as if you run into gradually deepening water at a ertain point your character would actually jump into a racing dive rather than suddenly starting to float, and jumping from a high place would cause you to land in a roll, was nice stuff....

Anyway lots of people seem to be talking about the computing resources taken up by animation, but thats bollocks, what the article mainly asked for was variation of animations, the only additional resource more animations would take up is a little hard drive space, the real actual issue however is that most MMOs are animated like SHIT, I can't really think of an MMO that's even as well animated as Half life 1, it's an attention to detail issue to be honest, good graphical work is often pushed to the back on games that have a lot of other stuff required in them, it's an area to be addressed....that said, Global agenda looks quite nicely animated insofar, though if you ask me it doesn't look as good as it SHOULD for an unreal engine 3 game.

• ChrisomahonyChrisomahony Member Posts: 11

Re think your little rant. AoC has the best animation bar none in the MMO crop currently but I didnt see you give any credit to them. And also I'm a 3d artist. Your 'opinion' of how much harder a animator is compared to a 3d artist is laughable.

The simple fact is the pipeline doesnt call for intensely fluid animations.

So please do yourself a favor and dont use tech terms that is used by me. You dont have a grasp on what they really are.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by kittenbot

one MMO that did have pretty nice animations was tabula rasa, they added lotsw of little attention to detail anims, such as if you run into gradually deepening water at a ertain point your character would actually jump into a racing dive rather than suddenly starting to float, and jumping from a high place would cause you to land in a roll, was nice stuff....
    Anyway lots of people seem to be talking about the computing resources taken up by animation, but thats bollocks, what the article mainly asked for was variation of animations, the only additional resource more animations would take up is a little hard drive space, the real actual issue however is that most MMOs are animated like SHIT, I can't really think of an MMO that's even as well animated as Half life 1, it's an attention to detail issue to be honest, good graphical work is often pushed to the back on games that have a lot of other stuff required in them, it's an area to be addressed....that said, Global agenda looks quite nicely animated insofar, though if you ask me it doesn't look as good as it SHOULD for an unreal engine 3 game.

The more detailed the model is (polygons), the more calculated effects its influenced by (lightsources etc) and the more movement in the surroundings (more detailed animations and amount of animated models), the more performance you need. Its not like loading a wmv file from the harddrive like you think.

Two other posters gave two good reasons. First one was to comment about WoW animation, where the subtle animations make the characters appear more alive. You really need talented animators and a lot of time for that.

The other person comment was about the number of characters that your client has to render. There is a reason why FPS games didnt allow loads of characters on a single map untill recently.

Furthermore, MMOs are way longer in production then singleplayer games and need human resources in a lot of other fields then just graphics. For this reason alone, it is not surprising that the animation quality and variation is lacking in MMO land.

You could have everything in one MMO, you only need to convince the investors that you really need all that manpower :p

I find these 'why not?' articles a bit shallow. Why not put everything in MMO's and hand out supercomputers when people subscribe?