Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online: Land of the Dead Hands-On Preview

DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

It's coming. In Patch 1.3, Mythic plans to unleash an epic new zone called Land of the Dead, modeled after the Darkness Falls contested dungeon in Dark Age of Camelot. But that is not what is most interesting about this quasi-expansion pack to Warhammer Online.

The new quests all take on a distinctly new style, one that is a massive departure for not only Warhammer Online, but also MMOs in general. It represents a new direction for their game, as they introduce more console-like gameplay elements into an MMORPG. Find out the details in our Hands-On Preview from Baltimore Games Day.

The vast desert/Egyptian inspired area is littered with 18 Public Quests, combinations of which must be completed by groups of players in order to gain access to a final epic pyramid.

In a move that is likely to thrill some, and exasperate others, each of these quests is not just the typical staged open kill quest from the regular lands of Warhammer Online. Each has its own unique “console-like” element to it. That’s not to say WAR has become an FPS game, but clearly the designers have done their homework and crafted challenges that test not only the level of the character, but also the abilities of the person behind the keyboard.

Read it all here.

Dana Massey
Formerly of MMORPG.com
Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Comments

• jimigorjimigor Member Posts: 9

Beyond my wildest dreams.

So much more then i expected, cheers mythic finally some decent PvE content side by side with RvR. Good for the whole family.

• ozy1ozy1 Member Posts: 309

good luck mythic, hope you can pull back some subs.

Think i might have another look... let me know how you get on.

Playing Darkfall EU1 Server

• Spaceweed10Spaceweed10 Member Posts: 625
    Originally posted by ozy1

good luck mythic, hope you can pull back some subs.
    Think i might have another look... let me know how you get on.

I was looking forward to this patch when I first heard about Lotd.  Unfortunately, it will just be another lag fest because their engine blows chunks.

I won't be handing over any money until these basic issues are resolved.  I don't expect to be playing the game again, if I'm honest.

• jimigorjimigor Member Posts: 9

if the area is large enough i dont think there will be too big a problem.

• InstamaticInstamatic Member UncommonPosts: 58

Sounds like a great addition.  Is there a free trial by chance?

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

There is a free trial. You are restricted to Tier1 which means you will get to see the horribly boring PvE 99% of the game has to offer and see the BEST that the RvR has to offer. After T1 the RvR loses ALOT. Alot of work needs to be done to the rest of the game before they add in new gimmicks to try and pull people back. I would concider it possibly, maybe, if they would get rid of 80% of the CC. I hated WoW pvp because of all the CC and WAR is worse imo. Not only does every single class have some kind of CC or snare (and in most cases multiples ones) the immunity timers arent shared and in some cases broken.

So yea it sounds neat and all but I wont be going back till they fix the CORE of the game.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Good grief... Mario platform hopping... timed quests... how much more childish can this game get?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405

Holy crap that is alot of content for free.  Definately not the same smash and bash.  I'm very impressed.  It all sounds like lots of fun and I may need to resub for this.

• ManchineManchine Member UncommonPosts: 469

Glad to see some good stuff from Mythic.  Got to say this just adds to an already great game.  Probable the best Fantasy Game out there right now.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

I always welcome new game play.

This looks like very fun

• smutsmut Member Posts: 250
    Originally posted by Manchine

Glad to see some good stuff from Mythic.  Got to say this just adds to an already great game.  Probable the best Fantasy Game out there right now.

I agree, I love how people talk bad about a game they've never played.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

Sounds like a massive expansion that totally fails to address the ridiculuously small number of core class/race combos, tedious pve, linear zones or any of the other pre-40th problems with WAR.

Maybe I'd go back if they just handed everyone 40ths on character creation...

• PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Originally posted by ericbelser

Sounds like a massive expansion that totally fails to address the ridiculuously small number of core class/race combos, tedious pve, linear zones or any of the other pre-40th problems with WAR.
    Maybe I'd go back if they just handed everyone 40ths on character creation...

This is not an expansion. Just one of the major patches they roll out with content every couple of months just like WoW does. It's Warhammer lore - what are you expecting? KotBS who are dwarves or elves so they can have more race/class combos? Lol. They'll be adding new races/classes when their first expansion comes out.

This is a pve addition - how does it not address that? This changes the outlook on the generic pve crap from most every mmo these days. It's something new actually.

And lastly - yep.. linear zones.. it's a linear game.. as is WoW and just about every mmo out there right now with the exception of  a few. What did you expect? And none of this talked about their plans for bug fixes or even much of their plans for RvR improvements/updates... it was specifically for LotD stuff - they're still doing much more in 1.3 than just this.

• PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Originally posted by Elikal

Good grief... Mario platform hopping... timed quests... how much more childish can this game get?

Aw - how cute. How long have timed quests been in mmorpgs? Quite some time actually - last time I checked the PQs already had timers. Mario is a fun game.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783
    Originally posted by Plaidpants
     It's Warhammer lore
    This is a pve addition - how does it not address that? This changes the outlook on the generic pve crap from most every mmo these days. It's something new actually.
    And lastly - yep.. linear zones.. it's a linear game.. as is WoW and just about every mmo out there right now

Okay, first off - disagree with me and defend the game all you like, but "warhammer lore" my aching arse. Warhammer "lore" has like a dozen intelligent races and a much wider variety of characters than Mythic put in...please get a clue.

A PvE addition, that adds a PvP zone as its main feature - or did you not read/understand that whole "Darkness Falls Clone" thing? Access to the zone is controlled by PvP and PvP with other players in it is one of the main features.

Yep most games are linear, WAR took that to an absurd new height, there might as well be a little glowing path about 10 paces wide throughout the entire game.

• dinuriumdinurium Member Posts: 79

Very nice to see some more pve aspects coming from mythic.  I admit Ive been missing this game.   I might have to wait till they finish the aoe situation though..   My bright wizard cant handle any more dramatic changes in gameplay.    That aside, this seems very intresting and its a good step in getting my sub back.  Mythic seems to be understanding some of its lackluster qualities and making steps to fix a particular problem.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Just as I started to enjoy the game. I guess I am a purist when it comes to games. I do not want a drastic departure for the game I purchased. I know I will not get my money back so all I can do is not renew my subscription. Too many MMOs change their formulas and make drastic changes all the time. 

I would rather they fix their original ideas.

• BhagpussBhagpuss Member Posts: 58

My free month + trial ends next week and I was in two minds whether to pay for another month; this settles it.

I will not be subscribing and WAR will be off my list of MMOs to follow. I gave up playing platform games in about 1986 and I have no wish to revisit that part of my youth.

• ColonialColonial Member Posts: 151

"Instead, the invading realm will need to purge them through a series of missions."

What a crock of bull. Is this supposed to be an RvR PvP game?

Im an original DAOC'r DF was all about getting the instance aligned to your faction and then you yourself run through it and purge the opposite team.

• BlaebaerBlaebaer Member UncommonPosts: 9

Looking good! 

I think it's time for me to resub and give WAR another go. =)

I can't see why people would bitch and moan over a free content patch that adds more to the game. Sure, there's things that needs to be addressed. But overall I think it's a fun game that are getting better and this will just add to that.

Hell, if you don't like it, don't play it. It's a no brainer.

Cheers.

• OgrelinOgrelin Member Posts: 636

Originally posted by Colonial
    "Instead, the invading realm will need to purge them through a series of missions."
    What a crock of bull. Is this supposed to be an RvR PvP game?
    Im an original DAOC'r DF was all about getting the instance aligned to your faction and then you yourself run through it and purge the opposite team.

yeah? it's the same you know... kill them all, they can't respawn if they release.

• HyperfishHyperfish Member Posts: 101

I was quite disapointed with how Warhammer turned out after following it's development from the beginning but this news makes me want to have another look at it.  Some of the newer stuff sounds quite fun and it does seem that Mythic have taken some feedback and tried to offer a bit more to the PVE side of the game.

Time will tell of course :P

• VrazuleVrazule Member Posts: 1,095

Great addition of new content, even htough it's more raid focused than ever.  I still won't come back.  I hate the class system they have and will continue to do so until they completely revamp it.  I don't know why today's developers continue to think that dying in mere seconds in PvP is somehow fun.  That constantly running back into battle from your spawn point or as a weak ass rezzed free kill is enjoyable.  Maybe that's why the game has such a large PvE following, they're too irritated to PvP at all.  Of course, the the same could be said of WoW, it's PvP is just as retatardedly done wtth nothing but constant respawns.  Sometimes I think these MMO companies are COMPLETELY clueless.

With PvE raiding, it has never been a question of being "good enough". I play games to have fun, not to be a simpering toady sitting through hour after hour of mind numbing boredom and fawning over a guild master in the hopes that he will condescend to reward me with shiny bits of loot. But in games where those people get the highest progression, anyone who doesn't do that will just be a moving target for them and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay money for the privilege. - Neanderthal

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681
    Originally posted by Spiritof55

Holy crap that is alot of content for free.  Definately not the same smash and bash.  I'm very impressed.  It all sounds like lots of fun and I may need to resub for this.

I have to agree, there is alot of stuff in this upcomming patch that is going to be alot of fun, such as being dropped off at the top of the mountain and getting back down asap, will certainly make for many funny scenes I'm sure =).

Good to see an MMO picking up and using ideas from outside the genre, rather than your mundane go out and whack a few mobs they are trying to give it some more depth.

Change to how PQ's work in general is a welcome change aswell, and it's good to know that they realise that the system needed changing.

All in all I'm very impressed aswell with the details of the patch.

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681
    Originally posted by ericbelser

Originally posted by Plaidpants
     It's Warhammer lore
    And lastly - yep.. linear zones.. it's a linear game.. as is WoW and just about every mmo out there right now

Okay, first off - disagree with me and defend the game all you like, but "warhammer lore" my aching arse. Warhammer "lore" has like a dozen intelligent races and a much wider variety of characters than Mythic put in...please get a clue.

A PvE addition, that adds a PvP zone as its main feature - or did you not read/understand that whole "Darkness Falls Clone" thing? Access to the zone is controlled by PvP and PvP with other players in it is one of the main features.

Yep most games are linear, WAR took that to an absurd new height, there might as well be a little glowing path about 10 paces wide throughout the entire game.

Firstly whys your bum aching?

Secondly please give everyone hear your definative list of the current top MMO's out on the market right now that do not have a linear path, there is only 2 games that spring to mind and in truth they still have a degree of linearity, EVE and DFO.

No game out there is truly free form, you have to complete A to get B and so on, WAR follows the same tried and tested formulae, but it certainly does not take it to new heights in my opinion.

Oh as for lore, who gives a fig about lore, 99% of ppl don't even read the quest dialogue in an MMO anyway, it's all fluff and deters from what ppl really want to do, kill,collect loot and kill some more.