Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Richard Aihoshi: F2P Isn't A Dirty Word

12346»

Comments

• uttausuttaus Member Posts: 120

I would like to read the whole post but i'm at work with not enough time. 

That said aren't you all jus arguing over the name Free To Play. I agree this is a false name why not call it what it is a MTG

Micro Transaction Game.

I would like to see and hear about MTGs and weather there are any good ones out there. I do doubt that there are any.

But if I can have someone else write an article about MTGs and which ones might be good great! Then I won't waste time trying the bad ones myself.

Laters

Asheron's Call, Champions Online, Dark Age of Camelot, EVE Online, EverQuest, Lineage 2, Star Wars Galaxies and World of Warcraft.Waiting for SWTOR

• Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982

Rather than putting this in terms of "F2P games suck", I'll address my viewpoint a bit differently.

I will not play any game that allows someone an advantage simply because they're willing to spend more RL money on buying things within the game. When you play WoW or EQ or LotR Online, all subscribers have access to the same rules, items, classes, etc. The only exception to this are expansions, but everyone who stays current on the latest expansion is, again, at the same competitive level (this, BTW, is why I get annoyed when a company releases expansions too frequently).

F2P games that have a item malls provide players with an advantage in exchange for RL cash. I believe that is inherently unfair. Furthermore, in some instances, you *have* to buy items in order to ensure your character remains viable as he progresses in the game: you hit a level where the non-store bought equipment just isn't cutting it.

I'm not talking about a gaming company's business model per se. Obviously, they want to make money. But for me, if I'm playing a game, then it should be fair to all who are playing it, not about who has a lot of money to throw around in RL.

Thus, I think games that have item malls are inherently unfair. I wont play them. I wont even install them on my computer. I don't care how well they're made or how enticing they may be. And, if I find a P2P game using similar methods, I'll treat it the same way.

• ZANGFEIZANGFEI Member Posts: 439

Did i miss something here or should i just say it for most people that want FULL game play from the word go. "F2P Games "SUCK" and that is all there is to know about them:

Lets re title them to FREE TO PLAY TILL YOU HAVE TO PAY!

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357
    Originally posted by beauturkey

,but it also encourages massive cheating and botting,because it is free,you have nothing to lose.

This is another stereotype of F2P games.

Now, do the games have some botting/cheating/gold sellers yelling in chat...and do some of them have massive cheating and botting? Of course.

Now, tick off how many North American, non-F2P games that you have played. Probably 5-10. ( I have played them all, along with many many many F2P games) When you compare the number of F2P games that have almost no "mass botting" to the number of non-F2P games that DO, you will see that the percentage of F2P games that have it is actually less.

I would challenge anyone that has these ideas to look outside of the few examples of a spammer in chat, and also to look at the examples (as in Runes of Magic, in example) of games that have wonderful tools to simply ignore the spammers.

What is the largest NA non-F2P game out there? WoW.

Now, ask yourself if they (Blizzard) has had many, many, many issues with gold spammers/scammers/botters. Of course they have.

Beau Turkey

That's pretty much how I feel about it. There are great game that are free to play, but there's also bad ones (Though I do truly love one of the worst, Knight Online). Botters and gold-spammers is no reason to not play a MMO, because if you did, you wouldn't play any of them, because they all have them.

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• funnylumpyfunnylumpy Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by Tuor7

Rather than putting this in terms of "F2P games suck", I'll address my viewpoint a bit differently.
    I will not play any game that allows someone an advantage simply because they're willing to spend more RL money on buying things within the game. When you play WoW or EQ or LotR Online, all subscribers have access to the same rules, items, classes, etc. The only exception to this are expansions, but everyone who stays current on the latest expansion is, again, at the same competitive level (this, BTW, is why I get annoyed when a company releases expansions too frequently).
    F2P games that have a item malls provide players with an advantage in exchange for RL cash. I believe that is inherently unfair. Furthermore, in some instances, you *have* to buy items in order to ensure your character remains viable as he progresses in the game: you hit a level where the non-store bought equipment just isn't cutting it.
    I'm not talking about a gaming company's business model per se. Obviously, they want to make money. But for me, if I'm playing a game, then it should be fair to all who are playing it, not about who has a lot of money to throw around in RL.
    Thus, I think games that have item malls are inherently unfair. I wont play them. I wont even install them on my computer. I don't care how well they're made or how enticing they may be. And, if I find a P2P game using similar methods, I'll treat it the same way.

Very untrue statement sadly.. And totally blind for the truth.

F2P it's true  many good items cannot be gained through playing the game and hence you have the "option" to buy it on the mall. Still it's available ingame to buy because those who buy it on the mall might want to earn some good money on it.

If you're dedicated and play a lot you will affort it.

So it's available ingame but only by buying it from another player at a high cost ofcourse but still available.

People seemingly think they are so clearsighted. Subscription games gives equal right and chance to obtain all type of items ingame as the rest.

However those items that is epic, legendary, unique etc.. is not in abundance and hence not available for everyone unless you actually play for a long period of time your chances increases to get it or is just lucky.

So the item is not easily available just the illusion to get you to subscribe for months to try to get the items. :)

And now to the irony. A good chunk of people playing sub games actually buys items, gold and everything else for real cash.

You might close your eyes for it but ebay was threatened by lawsuits from all subscirpiton games because of people breaking ccp, soe and blizzards rules.. these are the ones that is most frequently has items sold in western  market on net.

(note some of sub games allows you to buy money from them if you buy from them "legally" at least in their own eyes. :)

20th january 2007 ebay started to enforce this to get rid of people selling ingame stuff.  Everything could be bought.

After ebay started with this the sellers just started their own sites or found alternatives.

It can always be argued in any direction but you're just trying to defend one over the other you don't care wether or not it's a good game or not. F2P, Sub or others.. you have invested so much time and money into sub so there is no turning back now is it?

I would say I'm the lucky one since I'm not bound to any games. I have subscribed on many top titles of the west and tried a bunch of F2P games.

In the end it really depend on what type of gamer we are and what we're looking for.

If you're the type that tend to stick with one game and have lots of time to play then you can call it an investment and play it as long as your heart desires then sub might be the best option

If you're a causual player like me than doesn't have all the time in the world I think F2P model is the right thing. You can play as long as you want or have the time to.

And again variety is not a bad thing is a good thing I don't know why people all the time have to say F2P is bad it isn't I've played lots of good games from many business model types and there is good and bad in all the models as well.

• Overlord-666Overlord-666 Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by Player_420

I cant believe i just read the post. IF YOU LABEL SOMETHING FREE TO PLAY THEN MAKE IT FREE 
    IF ITS NOT FREE DON'T LABEL IT AS SUCH
    this has nothing to do with age, you know nothing about who I am or what I do, and your trying to stray away from the point of my post.

Actually they are free. No one is forcing you to pay. I play Requiem a F2P MMORPG with an Item Mall which also has Premium subscriptions if you wish, but my point is that I am lvl 65 with the cap being 71 and never payed a dime. You can play F2P games without paying and still have fun.

My 2 cents, pls flame on ;)

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Sorry to burst your "imaginary" bubble, but yes.....F2P is a VERY dirty word. You won't be changing many minds to make it your crazy no-work-for-money grand scheme.

F2P will ALWAYS BE DIRTY.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• SunstalkrSunstalkr Member Posts: 4

Its funny how narrow minded ppl really are. Ive played virtually all the mmos out there starting

with UO. I recently tried RoM and have found its actually a pretty good game. I also know ppl

in there who havnt spent a dime in game on anything, mounts, equipment, etc and have top

of the line gear. It just takes longer as they get it harvesting, crafting etc. For those ppl that

want things given to them on a silver platter its not going to happen in the F2p game unless

your willing to spend money but for ppl to say you HAVE to spend money to be the best, top

of the line, etc they either havnt played the game or at least havnt played it long enough or

just dont have a clue. 

So far Ive liked RoM granted it doesnt have as much in it as WoW, EQ2 etc but its still a

pretty good game and for it being a FREE game, yes its free if you choose to keep it free,

then I think its a very good game. Now they might change things in the future to make it

alot worse than it is now but atm its pretty good.

Bottom line is to have fun with any type of game your playing and Im having fun in RoM. Nuf said.

• jonodascopejonodascope Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Quizzical

And so, a challenge to the author:  if you want anyone to believe that there are genuinely free to play item mall games that have considerable development costs, aren't in themselves more an advertisement than a game, and don't really mean "free to lose" unless you buy quite a bit from the item mall, then name one.  Just one.  It should be one that's been out for quite a while, so as to rule out the "lose money at first, but add a lot more to the item mall to make it up later" model.

I might not be the auther, but this statement really  annoyed me... i agree with everything you said, but i think the best saying for this article is this "You get what you paid for"

Yes, i'm one of the people who can't afford a P2P at the moment, but that didnt stop me from playing 9Dragons for years, sure the game is loaded with ads and the item mall can make you a god, but it's the way they've implimented it that i enjoy most... the ad's only showed up while map loading or in a coma (ok the new ad bar system is a pain, but there are ways of removing it ;) )

The item mall, can make you a god, but u have to pay quiet it bit, but what i like is the cheap little items that players can purchase for less than a $1, that can make your life so much easier without the huge cost.

Sure a lvl50 loaded with item mall goodies may seem like a god, but lets put him against my absultly free of charge lvl111 and we'll see who wins ^_^

Ps. i've been playing 9Dragons for years, but only ever spent $20 and that was for the summer vacation with my friends

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Yes there are many F2P games that force you to pay if you want to play better BUT answer me this:

Yes there is the cash shop or whatever you call it, if you like a game so much even if it's F2P don't you think by buying some items from cash shop is contributing to improving the game?

enough said.

• BreaghaBreagha Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by Dana

To many people "free to play" is a dirty word. To Richard Aihoshi, that isn't fair and in his second column looks at this debate and general perception in the community.
    Check back each Monday for more from Richard Aihoshi in his weekly look at the free to play genre.

That's one of the reactions I'm used to seeing when I talk about the free to play MMOG category in a manner that isn't derogatory. So it came as no surprise that some of the posts in the discussion following my column last week were like that. You may know the kind from seeing them there or elsewhere. They basically say F2Ps suck while providing no real basis to support simultaneously tarring hundreds of diverse titles with the same proverbial brush. Some say they've tried a couple, but others...
    These people are, of course, entitled to have and to express opinions that diverge from my own. Indeed, I've taken part in many sessions that were highly enjoyable because they involved looking into and even vigorously debating differing points of view. But I've never truly understood the kind of knee-jerk reactions that often happen in the F2P area, and that do nothing to promote constructive, thoughtful, interesting exchanges. So, I'd like to set a couple of things straight about some of the ways people react.

The full column is here.

*applauds madly, whistling and cheering* Awesome article!!

While I can't be assed to read all the feeling-stepped-on-toes replies this article is bound to produce, I had to applaud you just the same. This tendency to simply spew some unbased, unfocused negativity in some general direction because it's the popular thing in the in-crowd you're hanging with is taking over in way too many areas.

Just loved this article. Thank you!

"So I contend that the player stories will always be more powerful than the scripted stories that we try to tell the players."

- Will Wright

• WesCragWesCrag Member Posts: 2

I'm glad to see from the very 1st post that many site readers here

have called this guy on such an ignorant article.

The fundamental reason F2P sucks is that there is no such thing, F2P is a lie!

And there aren't many people raised in America who don't know an AD Scam when they see it.

Sry sir, you'll have to do a lot better arguing F2P doesn't suck, like addressing the obvious reason they do!

Granted, literally one 'gets' to play... but that's like saying eating a travel size bag of fritos is 'having a meal', pul-leeze.

just realized, this is my 1st post here.

woot!

What's up?

• bmdevinebmdevine Member Posts: 429
    Originally posted by WesCrag

I'm glad to see from the very 1st post that many site readers here
    have called this guy on such an ignorant article.
    The fundamental reason F2P sucks is that there is no such thing, F2P is a lie!
    And there aren't many people raised in America who don't know an AD Scam when they see it.
    Sry sir, you'll have to do a lot better arguing F2P doesn't suck, like addressing the obvious reason they do!
    Granted, literally one 'gets' to play... but that's like saying eating a travel size bag of fritos is 'having a meal', pul-leeze.

just realized, this is my 1st post here.
    woot!
    What's up?

So you obviously fall into the "others..." category.  Welcome to MMORPG.  You'll fit right in.