Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Top Ten Games That Should Be MMOs

Comments

• piotrsanpiotrsan Member Posts: 58

The only two good choices , Tetris and Pacman online, were rejected. But seriously you cant turn a good crpg game into an mmorpg, itll just thumb it down and destroy it ,making another generic "fields of monsters" mmorpg game.

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by AbeSimpson

totally agree with most of these comments. One of the few discussions i read all the way through AND bothered to comment.

I'll take StarCraft:Online any day!
    =P

Don't you mean World of Starcraft ? Lol! You know that's what Blizzard would call it, if they did make it.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• Glacial_RainGlacial_Rain Member Posts: 110

thinking about it more, tetris online the T block would be way too suggestive lol.

• kawlkjakawlkja Member Posts: 352

Mass Effect would be a great MMO imo. But BioWare has there hands full with SWtor.

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

Very much agree with what some have already mentioned...

MechWarrior Online could be done so nicely.  Different clans.  Get your credits to upgrade your mech(s) equipment.  Open field PvP, capturing bases, resources, etc.

Fallout Online would be great too.  Although I've never actually played any of the single player Fallout games, I'm STILL looking for that "Gamma World" MMO experience.  I know one day it will happen (Fallen Earth maybe?)

I heard someone mention a Planet of the Apes MMO in one thread.  That could be interesting.  Maybe three factions (Apes, Men, Mutated Men).  Might be a good idea.

I personally would like to see a Call of Duty MMO.  Something decent done in a World War 2 setting.  (and sorry, but World War 2 Online just doesn't do it for me).  I envisioned it like Planetside.  Where levels mattered in the equipment choices you had, but didn't mean much when you are toe to toe on the battlefield.  A level 5 player vs a level 25 player are evenly matched, and skill, not level, determines the winner.  Maybe even instead of levels, you could mark your progess as ranks (Captain, Major, etc...)

And speaking of Planetside....um...Planetside 2 please.

Lastly, anyone who comes up with the idea to break the whole "kill, loot, level" treadmill that make up 99% of the MMOs today, I'll buy a lifetime subscription.  Thanks...

• majochmajoch Member Posts: 599

Of the ten on your list I could go for NWN Online if as others have mentioned previously it was expanded to the whole FR universe.

Off the list I would go for the Wheel of Time.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Firstly, EA Sports has an MMO.

No, its not football, but a football game would also not translate well into a fully PC played sport. It could work, and I'm sure people would play it. Nevertheless, one of their franchises is already there.

Secondly.... Uh, WESTERN MMO? GUN Online?  Who doesn't want to roam the plains of the old west, wander the dusty woodplanked sidewalks of a ghost-town-to-be? Throw down in a game of cards against the nastiest currs around. This is a travesty that this is not an MMO in production.

• jdmnynjajdmnynja Member Posts: 13

Fallout Online please.

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by purewitz

Originally posted by AbeSimpson

totally agree with most of these comments. One of the few discussions i read all the way through AND bothered to comment.

I'll take StarCraft:Online any day!
    =P

Don't you mean World Universe of Starcraft ? Lol! You know that's what Blizzard would call it, if they did make it.

Fixed

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by Hammertime1

A older PC game named "Arcanum  of Steamworks & Magick Obscura" would have made a *great* world for an MMO to be based on.

What a great game ...it could have been a skill base MMO and I like the Arcane vs Technology idea in this game.

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

Duke's World Online

A world were every Hollywood action film theme is law.  You build your hero or villian based on those laws.  Babes, Booze, and Blowing hell out of punks. PVP?  Hell yeah!  Good Cop, Bad Cop time.  Factions?  Underworld drug lords, Alien A$$holes, Commies, Neo-nazis, rogue-government teams and demons are just a few targets for correction.

As Duke Nukem would say:

"Plenty of places to park my bricks."

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by Beltenebros

I think that the general opinion is in favor of Neverwinter Nights, the most hardcore, complete and original RPG game ever! If it turns into an MMO, my god, it will be a revelation!! I only hope it follows the ADnD rules to the bone!!! no ganking allowed and futile PvP, Myth, Glory, and great storyline served on a gold platter.. that;s the heart and soul of an RPG game, not some cartoonish hack n slash running around.  Age of Conan tried that, but it;s up to the team behind Neverwinter Nights to make the real and absolute difference in this!!
    I know that if this comes true i will be there from the very first minute...Imagine the world of the Forgotten Realms open to everyone...no comment.

please stop or I'm gonna wet my pants

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

Not having Elder Scrolls Online makes this list pointless.

And if it is being made, lets have an MMORPG.com official forum for it then???????????//

• OrdicOrdic Member UncommonPosts: 3

deff should do Legend of Dragoon (ps1)  and Star Ocean

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

Pre-CU SWG should be an MMO, but it's not, go figure.

• jamescodyjamescody Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by Ordic

deff should do Legend of Dragoon (ps1)  and Star Ocean

I loved Legend of Dragoon! That game was so Epic, and the combat was amazing! I would love to see another game in that series! I am not sure if it would work as an mmo but another game would be so great!

"He's the quintessential Darkfall troll: never played the game or read up on it but speaks of it like DF raped his wife and murdered his children." - Einstein-DF

• horridhorrid Member Posts: 129

Dungeon Keeper  - expanded so you can be both a keeper and a raider.

Wasteland.  Before Fallout there was wasteland and it was good! I missed fallout 1 and 2 but didn't find fallout 3 to be all that great.

I think L4D is the wrong zombie game to make into a mmorpg  but I do agree there is room for a good one. 

System Shock 2   - would make a better mmorpg than Bioshock though a huge amount of both these games is that you are alone.  Not sure they would work as a mmorpg.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

definately a Diablo mmorpg is needed, preferably one thats more first and third person perspective oriented.

Also, not to sound like a complete "dweeb" but... and I'll probably get crap for saying this.... Naruto. Shoot me, but damn the world they made, method of fighting and overall potential, is perfect for a mmorpg.

Check out a sample video of one of the 360 single player titles. If they took the naruto world, put it in a ninja village with clans vs ninja vs clans, pvp and pve, used the darker less kid focused Manga (comic) undertone, this would be the best mmorpg franchise to work with since WoW.

• FerretboyFerretboy Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Originally posted by Hokie

It includes...
    Vampire: The Masquerade (the best known and most popular)

Werewolf: The Apocalypse

Mage: The Ascension

Wraith: The Oblivion

Changeling: The Dreaming

Hunter: The Reckoning

Mummy: The Resurrection

Demon: The Fallen
    (And others)

CCP (the creators of Eve Online) has the rights to this setting. And I'm 100% positive they plan on making a MMO out of it. And considering how popular vampires are (and horror themes in general) they should do quit well with it.

Plan on making an MMO out of it? My friend, they have already started. World of Darkness Online is in production. It was announced that after the latest expansion hit in March (09) they were pulling more resources over to WoDO. 

I'll be surprised if the WoD MMO is going to be based off the (Old) World of Darkness line, considering that White Wolf killed it off four years ago and rebooted the franchise.  The (New) World of Darkness consists of:

• Vampire: The Requiem
    • Werewolf: The Forsaken
    • Mage: The Awakening
    • Promethean: The Created
    • Changeling: The Lost
    • Hunter: The Vigil
    • Geist: The Sin-Eaters

• KainisKainis Member Posts: 436
    Originally posted by donjn

Not having Elder Scrolls Online makes this list pointless.
    And if it is being made, lets have an MMORPG.com official forum for it then???????????//

There are guidlines for posting a game on this site. It usually involves a website, and at least 5 screenshots. I remember it very well, as we had begged and pleaded for months for MO to have one, before Starvault sent Stradden enough info to warrant their spot. Bethsada will have to play by the rules, just like everyone else.

-----------------------
    Tried- L2, Ryzom, WAR, DDO, PWI, Tab Rasa, Requiem, Champs, AA, JD, PWI, SUN, Dawntide

Played- SWG (pre-cu), AoC, VG, WoW, LoTRO,CoX, EQ2, DAOC, GW, PotBS, Aion, MO,APB, NASA, Fallen Earth, DCUO, Rift

Playing- EVE, Black Prophecy, TOR

Waiting for- Tera, Jumpgate Evo, WH40K, WWE, WOD, TSW
    --
    --
    "Hey, if Activision liked it, then they should have put a ring on it," Double Fine President Tim Schafer said. "Oh great, now Beyonce is going to sue me too."

• FerretboyFerretboy Member UncommonPosts: 57
    #4 Neverwinter Nights Online

This already popular and well known RPG franchise would make a perfect MMO, its multi-player mode could be easily adapted to a more open, MMORPG format to allow players to experience perhaps the most iconic of Dungeons and Dragons game world: The Forgotten Realms.

Wasn't the first Neverwinter Nights game a MMO?  I think it was available on AOL or such.

• RetradRetrad Member UncommonPosts: 274

I'd like Wizards of the Coasts to make a Magic The Gathering Online MMORPG...not a damn virtual card game.

They already have the factions in place, a great story line, and a shitload of classes/bosses and every other damn thing that an MMO needs to succeed.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Sumeragi

Originally posted by lornphoenix

Originally posted by Wieland

Battletech (Mech Tabletop, several Mech shooters, 2 RTS, 1 semi MMO that was stopped shortly before release)

A MechWarrior online would be awesome.

I'm glad someone else remembered our friends at FASA.

Down with Jade Phoenix!

If I wrote the list, Mechwarrior / Battletech would easily be number one.  :)

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Overall I agree with most of the selections you mentioned in the article.  I would love to see a GTA MMO and definitely a NWN MMO would be good.  I do disagree with the Madden selection.  I see why you might put that in as there are no sports based MMO's on the market.   Any company considering doing one though should really focus on European Football rather than American.  If the game was any good you could potentially have a game that was so large in potential subscribers that my head hurts just thinking about it.  Also, I wouldn't mind a Fallout MMO of some sort as a potential option.  I would also really like to see an MMO based on the Sci-Fi television show from the 80's called.... V.  I already have the back story and the character models flushed out for that game.  Too bad I don't own my own software development company. lol

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Jon,

I just want to post a quick apology for coming down so fast with "What!?!?! No elder scrolls o.O! Heretic!" before reading into your posts on this forum. You are right, you can't post about games that could be in developement; there is another Elder Scrolls game in dev as we speak. Is it online, we don't know. But you did put together a great wishlist and heck, I would of been a big fan of an Online GTA. Sorry about jumping on the bandwagon, or trollwagon...lol.

I also want to point out that NWN and NWN2 has a pretty expanded online community through the persistant world format. I play on a PW called realms of trinity and I can say that the player made content is as good as the companies (sometimes, it's even better. Shhh). But it's fun, FREE and the community itself is mature and helpful. I'll post some links if anyone is interested. The software itself is cheap $10 I paid for Mask of the betrayer and Storm of Zehir.

nwvault.ign.com/fms/TopRated.php

www.realmsoftrinity.com/

nwvault.ign.com/View.php Your going to need this.

I hope this helps someone that always wished for a NWN online game,

Have Fun!

Ink