Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Top Ten Games That Should Be MMOs

Comments

• ForcanForcan Member UncommonPosts: 700
    Originally posted by lorndarken

games that should be turned into mmos

intresting list  ,there were some id like to see happen but i think there are some that were left out on your list that would of
    of been more deserving like

fable online
    zelda online
    vampire the masquerade online
    mass effect online
    megaman online
    dynasty warriors online
    thoese are just a few suggestions as to what i think would of been great games to play online

You do know that Dynasty Warriors Online is out in Asia right?

Current MMO: FFXIV:ARR

Past MMO: Way too many (P2P and F2P)

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Originally posted by akiira69

intresting list  ,there were some id like to see happen but i think there are some that were left out on your list that would of

fable online
    zelda online
    mass effect online
    megaman online
    dynasty warriors online
    thoese are just a few suggestions as to what i think would of been great games to play online

I was just going to mention vampire the masquerade but instead of just of that they should incorperate all the stories that White Wolf has into 1 online game called White Wolf Online that way you have vampire hunters, werewolf hunters, mages, everything in 1 big game that spans the whole globe.

i was trying to remember the name of the other popular white wolf game besides vampire , but if you could recall what it is called id be happy to mention that as a choice for a mmorpg.

White Wolf did several settings all based in the same "world". They could be played as stand alone or mixed and matched.

The grand campaign setting was called;

World of Darkness or WoD.

It includes...

Vampire: The Masquerade (the best known and most popular)

Werewolf: The Apocalypse

Mage: The Ascension

Wraith: The Oblivion

Changeling: The Dreaming

Hunter: The Reckoning

Mummy: The Resurrection

Demon: The Fallen

(And others)

CCP (the creators of Eve Online) has the rights to this setting. And I'm 100% positive they plan on making a MMO out of it. And considering how popular vampires are (and horror themes in general) they should do quit well with it.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• brenthbrenth Member UncommonPosts: 301

id vote for a terminator war mmo

and theres allready in the works a star trek mmo

still looking for a spy mmo

and fallout online mmo any one?

how about a privateer mmo just not full of PVP jerks like EVE i like to enjoy a game without some butthead ruining it.

make a world, not a game, we dont want another game.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by Raztor

Think Battletoads would make a great MMO. 

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• TyranixTyranix Member Posts: 104

Forgotten Realms

www.wizards.com/dnd/images/wd_maps/FRposterLarge_150.jpg

• motorthormotorthor Member Posts: 48

World and story of Gothic 1,2 & 3 would make a great MMO! Best worldbuild, ever.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

*Disclaimer: If you detect sarcasm in any of my answers that aren't labeld sarcasm answer /sarcasm then you have only yourself to blame.

10. No personal interest in IP. First impression is it's a kiddos game because of Disney. Don't think I'd let my Disney age children play an MMO (if I had Disney age children, or any children for that matter, lol).

9. Why? People can already take control of teams and play each other online as it is. The only reason I could see to do it is so that people could play an individual player on a team. I just don't see the MMO community at large willing to do that. THe sports community may embrace it to a degree, but you'll never get "wow" numbers sarcasm and that's what matters, right!? /sarcasm.

8. Aren't they attempting this with Huxley? Wasn't this attempted with Planetside?

7. No better way to further drive a spike in between people and ratchet up nationalism than to accurately reflect real heritage in a game that allows pvp and tea bagging and trash talking. My prediction: AoEO gives us the first international MMO homicide case OR sparks a real life conflict between to neighbor nations as a loss online prompts the zealous to go next door and "prove" they are better.

6. Can't say anything negative about this one as my wife loved the game (and reads my posts on occaision).

5. See #10.

4. Ok, this one I could see being a winner of an idea. They'd have to stick with the d20 system and not, I repeat not do what Turbine did with their one shot at it. Normal questing MMO with a huge wide world to go explore. From the streets of Neverwinter to the Weimic tribal villages of The Shaar. (note, don't care if they include Thay. I'm not going there even if they do. Those wizards have itchy fireball fingers)

3. Zombie flicks or related "entertainment" are like NASCAR to me. I don't want to spend 3 hours watching people make left turns (though those right turns can be interesting) and I don't "get it" about running from and killing zombies hour upon hour upon hour.

2. Yes. So everyone that wants to be a "thug" or "gangsta" can go here and I don't have to /ignore so often.

1. Just have a feeling if I don't like WoW's gameplay, I'm pretty sure I won't like WoW gameplay with a Starcraft skin. I mean, really, who honestly thinks Blizzard is going to move away from the WoW formula (which, ahem, they created). Ok, the irony, who better to make a move away from the WoW formula than blizzard. Take Starcraft and make a polished MMO in the mold of the first generation MMOs where all of us nerds and geeks took our "fantasy worlds" seriously and the world creators did too, realizing there is more to a MMO world than combat.

Meh, I'm sure someone would play any of those. The only one I would be interested in playing would be Neverwinter Nights Online, though. And that's only if it got a "proper" MMO treatment and not the D&D Online one.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

fable online
    zelda online
    mass effect online
    megaman online
    dynasty warriors online

I was just going to mention vampire the masquerade but instead of just of that they should incorperate all the stories that White Wolf has into 1 online game called White Wolf Online that way you have vampire hunters, werewolf hunters, mages, everything in 1 big game that spans the whole globe.

World of Darkness Online is already ongoing at CCP's Atlanta studio.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

Originally posted by Hokie

fable online
    zelda online
    mass effect online
    megaman online
    dynasty warriors online

i was trying to remember the name of the other popular white wolf game besides vampire , but if you could recall what it is called id be happy to mention that as a choice for a mmorpg.

White Wolf did several settings all based in the same "world". They could be played as stand alone or mixed and matched.

The grand campaign setting was called;

World of Darkness or WoD.

It includes...

Vampire: The Masquerade (the best known and most popular)

Werewolf: The Apocalypse

Mage: The Ascension

Wraith: The Oblivion

Changeling: The Dreaming

Hunter: The Reckoning

Mummy: The Resurrection

Demon: The Fallen

(And others)

CCP (the creators of Eve Online) has the rights to this setting. And I'm 100% positive they plan on making a MMO out of it. And considering how popular vampires are (and horror themes in general) they should do quit well with it.

Plan on making an MMO out of it? My friend, they have already started. World of Darkness Online is in production. It was announced that after the latest expansion hit in March (09) they were pulling more resources over to WoDO.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr 
    Plan on making an MMO out of it? My friend, they have already started. World of Darkness Online is in production. It was announced that after the latest expansion hit in March (09) they were pulling more resources over to WoDO.

I kinda figured they'd wait till after "Walking in Stations", to start working on it.

But Im very, very, VERY happy to hear they are allocating more resources to it.

Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder if the reason CCP said that is because Funcom has stated that they plan on doing a horror MMO? And have been working on one since before AoC was released.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

The only ones i see in this list who have potential are NWN ans Starcraft.

But for me the best choice is Shadowrun.... this world is exactly what i want, corporation, magic,gun, corruption, hacker etc

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Originally posted by Hokie

Furthermore, they said on the day of the merger in 2006 that it would be in the works.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • BeltenebrosBeltenebros Member Posts: 12

I think that the general opinion is in favor of Neverwinter Nights, the most hardcore, complete and original RPG game ever! If it turns into an MMO, my god, it will be a revelation!! I only hope it follows the ADnD rules to the bone!!! no ganking allowed and futile PvP, Myth, Glory, and great storyline served on a gold platter.. that;s the heart and soul of an RPG game, not some cartoonish hack n slash running around.  Age of Conan tried that, but it;s up to the team behind Neverwinter Nights to make the real and absolute difference in this!!

I know that if this comes true i will be there from the very first minute...Imagine the world of the Forgotten Realms open to everyone...no comment.

• harvus3030harvus3030 Member Posts: 24

Maybe a Rainbow Six MMO?  I could see a lot of potential there.  Along the lines of "The Agency" only with special ops, instead of agents.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

you forgot 2
    1) Elder Scrolls Online
    2) Fallout Online
    both game series revolutionized the CRPG Experience that no other game has come close to

How could these two have been overlooked?

• LanthirLanthir Member UncommonPosts: 222

How about Masquerade  would be nice to have vamps and wearwolves instead of elves and dwarfs

Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by Wieland

Shadowrun (Magic High-Tech Mix Pen and Paper RPG, some old console games and a horrible shooter)

Battletech (Mech Tabletop, several Mech shooters, 2 RTS, 1 semi MMO that was stopped shortly before release)

Shadowrun yep, very intresting setting magic-cyber punk.

Battetech, could be intresting as full loot pvp, as gathering what's left on field is part of lore.  Could be quite intresting.

Fallout, originals not 3...

Aliens vs. Predators 3 sides, with quite different play style. Aliens for sneaky, predators for solo and marines maybe as group or player with AI-group. Planetary scale, could be quite intresting game as whole.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

Battletech (Mech Tabletop, several Mech shooters, 2 RTS, 1 semi MMO that was stopped shortly before release)

I may be alone, but I would love to see a MMO game (not RPG) to simulate the Battletech tabletop game (yes, including the hex grids). With the computer doing all the bookkeeping and dice rolling, gameplay would speed up a hundred fold.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by brostyn

you forgot 2
    1) Elder Scrolls Online
    2) Fallout Online
    both game series revolutionized the CRPG Experience that no other game has come close to

How could these two have been overlooked?

My guess because there's already Spellborn and Fallen Earth.

Originally posted by Ekaros

Shadowrun (Magic High-Tech Mix Pen and Paper RPG, some old console games and a horrible shooter)

Shadowrun yep, very intresting setting magic-cyber punk.

Battetech, could be intresting as full loot pvp, as gathering what's left on field is part of lore.  Could be quite intresting.

Fallout, originals not 3...

Aliens vs. Predators 3 sides, with quite different play style. Aliens for sneaky, predators for solo and marines maybe as group or player with AI-group. Planetary scale, could be quite intresting game as whole.

I'd love to see Shadowrun, Fallout (1&2) and Battletech made into MMOs. I just don't trust ANY developer right now to handle them even remotely respectfully and carefully. So, I'm content with them not being MMOs for the moment.

What's sad is that Smith and Tinker, comprised of the some of the original FASA founders, seems to be more interested in making toys and such, not computer/video games. What's even more depressing (aside from 10/07 being the last time any news was posted to the site) is that they used to have an "team" section, listing what team members they had and some bio info. Now that's gone, and their Job listings page is empty. Can you say belly up? Wouldn't surprise me. So, two of the greatest gaming IPs go down in flames (computer/video wise; thank goondess the pencil and paper licenses are with people who have an actual interest in keeping the worlds alive) because their current handlers, and ironically creators, are so short-sighted as to not use them.

Chavez y Chavez

• SortisSortis Member UncommonPosts: 193

I agree with NWN online but I think we should maybe broaden the spectrum and just say Forgotten Realms Online. We get all the really cool places in the FR world. There are sooooo many more interesting places to explore in  Faerun, you wouldnt even have to make it Toril. There is enough content on Faerun that you could make a 10 year MMO with proper funding that would blow all the other competition away! The Underdark alone would be an amazing expansion. Not to mention running the streets of Waterdeep, Calimport and Baldur's Gate! Running into Pharaun, Artemis, Drizzt, or Elminster! That MMO would be AMAZING!

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

I actually enjoyed this news discussion. I thought your input on games that would make good MMO's were spot on and the rejects were humerous.

• AbeSimpsonAbeSimpson Member Posts: 24

totally agree with most of these comments. One of the few discussions i read all the way through AND bothered to comment.

I'll take StarCraft:Online any day!

=P

Playing:
    CS:S, Waiting to try out TOR.
    Played: Sword of the New World, Infantryzone, Ragnarok Online,RF Online, Fury, Tabula Rasa, Star Wars Galaxies, Cosmic Rift....

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

I can't really disagree with any of those choices but if I could I would probably change forgotten realms for Dragonlance even though I know I'm probably in the minority.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

1.  Baldur's Gate Online

2.  Elder Scrolls Online

3.  Thief  Online

4.  Wheel of Time Online  - 

5.  Fallout Online

6.  Diablo Online

I know the Wheel of Time ONline is under developmentg but with few details.  Elder Scrolls is rumored top be under development along with Fallout.