Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What has been the most boring mmorpg you have ever played/ tried to play? Not the worse, just the mo

Comments

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

most boring = eve by far

most fun = guildwars/wow

• DrAllcomeDrAllcome Member Posts: 79

Most Fun- UO by far

Most boring-WAR

• miconamicona Member UncommonPosts: 677

Most boring mmo = wow no contest here

most fun = eve no contest here

• onelesslightonelesslight Member UncommonPosts: 161

Most boring = Lineage 2

Most fun = LOTRO

• xiirotxiirot Fallen Earth CorrespondentMember Posts: 328

most boring: your game

most enjoyable: my game

"Good people are good because they've come to wisdom through failure. We get very little wisdom from success, you know." William Saroyan

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

The most fun would definately be Ultima Online.

Most boring for me would probably be WAR or WoW...just a gear-based grind to me.  I prefered UO because it wasn't gear-based.

• DuvarisDuvaris Member UncommonPosts: 127

most boring = the matrix online

most fun = eq1 since it was my first. and would also have to say earth and beyond even tho its not around anymore. could have been great imo.

• silkakcsilkakc Member UncommonPosts: 381

Most Boring: WoW after 3 months playing

Most Fun: AC Asheron's Call- had the best loot tables ever! Made grinding a joy because of the individualistic loot drops. It made everything special and one of a kind and made hunting a joy and not a chore.

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681

Oh so many to choose from really.

Most fun has to be EQ1, my first MMO and so far no other MMO has been able to keep me in the game for as long, 5yrs.

Most boring would have to be EVE, I'm sorry to all the EVE fans but I'm just not a space kinda guy, had to give it a try as alot of friends where playing it and the PvP sounded so amazing, and from what I can gather the PvP is the heart and soul of the game, just a shame I couldn't get to that part, and no I'm not willing to give it another go, I've got too many other MMO's to play =).

• neilh73neilh73 Member Posts: 239

1.  Boring:  Most Boring would have to be RF Online (this is back when it was a P2P game and published by Codemasters).  The environments were bland, the models were OK but OMG the grind was so boring.  Level grinding wasn't too bad it was grinding your PT's so you wouldn't be gimped.  I played the first three months of launch and I really don't know how I lasted that long.  Awful, awful game.  I heard that they uped the PT progression some time after launch, but it was too little - too late, for me and pretty much everyone else seeing as the game shut down and has now reopened as a F2P.

Notable mentions on the boring list go to WoW, EQ2, Vangaurd etc..  I'm not a huge fan of class/level-based themepark MMO's.

2.  Fun:  This is easy for me.  Pre-CU SWG was by far and still is the best and most fun MMO I have ever played.  The sheer scope and skillbased, sandbox nature of the game is something that I haven't come across since.  Sure, SoR and EVE are sandboxes too, but neither of them can hold a candle to good, old SWG.  SOE truly are idiots, they had something unique and even with its numerous flaws it was 100 times more fun than anything out there.  But no, they had to change it into a crap copy of WoW in a Star Wars skin...  Always chasing those Dollar signs SOE.  Such a shame.

MMORPG History:
    Playing - EVE Online.
    Played (Retired) - AO, SWG, MxO, WoW, RFO, SoR, CoX, EQ2, GW, L2, Vanguard, LotRO, AoC, TCoS, Aion.
    Favourite MMO - Pre-CU SWG, 3 Years, 4 Accounts, 2 Pre-CU Jedi (1 Pre-9).
    Awaiting - Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Secret World, Earthrise.

• Gammit100Gammit100 Member UncommonPosts: 439

Definitely Sword of the New World.  Following that, Linneage II.

MMO games played or tested: EQ, DAoC, Archlord, Auto Assault, CoH, CoV, EQ2, EVE, Guild Wars, Hellgate: London, Linneage II, LOTRO, MxO, Planetside, SWG, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WWIIOL, WOW, Age of Conan

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Most fun - UO by far. I had so much fun playing this game that I have been trying to find another to take its place for 8 years.

Most boring - WAR because every single aspect of the game seemed a re-hashment of WOW. I played and enjoyed WoW for a long time, but I can't devote any serious time to another WoW clone.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

Most fun for me was UO. It's the onyl MMO where I experienced and enjoyed each and every facet of gameplay.

Most boring was Rubies of Eventide. I think the saddest part is that when it failed the first time I was almost sure that both players and devs would steer clear of playing/designing MMOs that were just DikuMUDs with a new skin.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

Most fun: Wow. It will be the greatest game for me simple becuse of the time I sank into it with alot of joys. 140x24 hours spent over 3 year span is quite awsome :)

Most boring: Warhammer. I couldnt even play a character up to level 20. I really tried to like it but it was just wow over again. 

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

Most fun EQ1 (1999-2001) followed close by LOTRO because of the complex end game PVE raids

Most boring Horizons

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Most boring - Eve by far

Most fun - Asheron's Call when I first got into MMOs.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Most Boring: Lineage 2, those quests have no point at all it seemed like.

Most fun: EQ

• objeffobjeff Member UncommonPosts: 97

Boring - Horizons - Tried it a long time ago and it was basicly a crafting game. (which I like but it needed more)

Boring - EVE - concept is great however not a fan of space stuff - and I'm not a fan of pvp so mining and trading became a bit of a bore.

Fun - Classic EQ1 - Good times

Fun - Vanguard - Very surprised by this one. Good challenge and A LOT of different options. 

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

The most boring game I have played is definitely Eve

Like others have said, I really tried to like it.  The graphics are amazing, the skill system is great, I love the sandbox potential of the game overall... I just found very little in the way of fun or excitement playing it.  The game doesn't do a good job providing you with goals, IMO. 

The most fun I have had in an MMO is easily SWG, pre-cu.. I didn't even hate CU, prior to NGE I thought I would be playing that game for a long time to come.  I also had a lot of fun playing WAR, doing open world RvR was great fun... but every keep and BO is exactly the same, and you can only have the exact same battle so many times and still enjoy it.

• jamescodyjamescody Member Posts: 79

Boring = EVE

Fun = EQ1 or FFXI

The only reason I find EVE so hard to get into is that they really have no main purpose when you just start the game, I hear from so many that the game is amazing but I just find it so difficult to get into the game at all.

I remember the first time I played EQ1, I just loved the skill system and how it was set up, my first MMO really :D

Then I played FFXI on and off and I really did like the whole game, I just grew tired of trying to make/find groups all the time

"He's the quintessential Darkfall troll: never played the game or read up on it but speaks of it like DF raped his wife and murdered his children." - Einstein-DF

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by TheHavok

The most boring to me, unfortunately, was FFXI.  Even though I have heard many times it was a great game, I just had an experience scratching my head.  For starters, I didn't know ANYBODY who played the game.  I had just come from playing Everquest 2, where soloing was viable.  In FFXI, you cannot solo whatsoever.  I died constantly, took HOURS trying to find groups, died some more, tried to fish, died some more, then rerolled a new classs.  Needless to say, things didn't go well.

The most fun to me was probably certain times in world of warcraft doing open world PVP.  The huge battles in Vanilla wow between Southshore and Tarren Mill.  Sneaking into Ironforge on my troll rogue and coordinating ganks with fellow hordies.  Also, just those great battles with other players of the opposite faction, leveling in the same area.  Yea, those were fun.

FFXI was my most boring also pretty much for the same reasons you had......Add in the awful graphics and I couldnt even finish the free trial it was so bad.......

• Rodnee42Rodnee42 Member Posts: 41

The most boring game = WOW

The most fun game = SWG Pre-CU

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Salvatoris
    I just found very little in the way of fun or excitement playing it.  The game doesn't do a good job providing you with goals, IMO. 

I think both the reason some people like and other don't. It's not very engaging at the begining, and doesn't lead you to the fun stuff.

It just leaves you figure that out on your own, and that just doesn't work for some people. I'm not talking handing you everything... but a beardcumb trail would be nice.

• arlrex1arlrex1 Member Posts: 16

For me the most boring game was WoW. For me quests are important in a MMORPG and even though WoW had quest they were usually very simple task, silly in some cases how they couldnt get items from their own back yards. I bought the game with the 30 day trial but got bored on week two. I though that maybe the good quests were for higher levels but at the end of the trial and a month to try to get to these I didnt find any.

For the most fun is actually a tie on Ragnarok and FFXI followed shortly by Phantasy Star. On these games you go straight to the action after the tutorial, they are full of quests, a big world to explore (or different ones in PS), and have different class/jobs to choose from. Not to mention that you need to know your attacks to avoid, cancel, counter, or parry and enemy attack even at lower levels, as well as sneaking around to get the items or to the town you need.

• Darkor_hXcDarkor_hXc Member UncommonPosts: 209

Most Boring...WoW, laaameeee, quests sucked, PvP is meh! from my point of view.

And I had tons o fun with Guild Wars from PvE to PvP....RA, TA, HA, GvG.

Hope some game comes up with something fun.