Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Make a difference in SWG

Ladies and gentlemen! Your crys for game reform have been heard!

I have specifically opened a site to assist the developers in gathering market specific data. It will take many many memberships to make it work!

Membership is free and allows you to participate in our forums and surveys.

Be part of the solution, not the problem! Be heard!

[url] www.GameReformer.com [/url]

QuantumArtist

Check out my site with computers built specifically for MMORPG players!

www.RPGpc.com

If you purchase via phone, please be sure to tell them you're from RPGpc.COM!

QuantumArtist

Comments

• AthonAthon Member Posts: 92

Rules of running a website:
    When posting URLs, make sure they work. More speicfically, you should know if your server is case sensitive (most are these days)

It is our hope that the doing this will;

* Make it much easier for developers to place their priorities in sinc with their customers.
    * That player concepts will be implemented into the game.
    * That players will have an understanding of why developers are unable to use some concepts and the challenges in making good design choices.
    * That the game will improve as a result of better communication between players and developers.

So, what does your site provide that the developers don't get from their own forums?

Oh, and I can tell you that you will never achieve:

That players will have an understanding of why developers are unable to use some concepts and the challenges in making good design choices.
    The developers don't have the time or inclination to explain why every little concept suggested doesn't make it into the game. At the end of the day it is THEIR game and THEY make the rules. If you don't like the rules, don't play.

And:

Clearly list known bugs and survey their importance to players.
    Will most likely end up with the devleopers despising your site. They'll have their own internal bug tracking system. All you do by doing the above is make it easy for players to find exploits in the game.

Athon Solo

----
    So you want to make your own MMORPG? Here's some advice

Recommended reading:
    Designing Virtual Worlds by Richard Bartle

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

The developers don't have the time or inclination to explain why every little concept suggested doesn't make it into the game. At the end of the day it is THEIR game and THEY make the rules. If you don't like the rules, don't play.

Athon

This is exactly the attitude that SOE and the devs of SWG have towards the players. This is what has driven a huge portion of its player base away and ultimately this will be the reason for the games inevitable failure.

Having an "us against them" attitude towards your customers will never gain you any real success. in the end they will resent you. If you like being treated as though they are paying YOU to play their game then thats your sickness. Most of us realize the value of our money and time. We will play games made by companies that respect that.

ROLEPLAYERS UNITE!!!!!

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• QuantumArtQuantumArt Member Posts: 32

Sorry, I dont know whats wrong with the link. The address is right.

Its very simple really, this site has one purpose. To generate ideas, hammer them out and post the finished product for the developers to consider.

Its not expected for the developers to hang on every little detail and explain everything. If anything, the other players, much like yourselves, will do that for them.

What we're doing differently then the SOE boards... We're being constructive. SOE doesnt conduct any surveys. Never grabs feedback on an idea, and for that matter, hardly even regulates the boards.

Its entirely this attitude that the devs don't care that we wish to combat. Its really just a lack of understanding. Frankly, if 100,000 people were on my boards doing nothing but venomous complaining... I wouldnt pay attention to them either.

Our point is, it'd never happen like that with a constructive format. We're going to find out what players want. We're going to make practical concepts and help where we can. Perhaps along the way players will appreciate what it takes to make a game, and developers might appreciate a more constructive environment.

Sometimes that means helping players understand some demands arent practical.

Regardless, what you got against us trying?

QuantumArtist

www.RPGpc.com

MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN YOUR GAME! BE HEARD!

www.GameReformer.com/SWG

QuantumArtist

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Quantum

Both of your sites are giving me page errors.

Originally posted by WizGamer
    Now hear me out, its just an opinion, I don't want yours. .

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Thats the weird part... it keeps forwarding to www.mmorpg.com/www.gamereformer.com/swg  thats not the address!

I dont know why its doing that.

If you have to, type it in... cause I cant figure out why its doing this.

QuantumArtist

www.RPGpc.com

www.GameReformer.com/SWG

QuantumArtist

OK, think I figured it out, but it looks funny...

QuantumArtist

[url] www.RPGpc.com [/url]

[url] www.GameReformer.com/SWG [/url]

QuantumArtist

• Everyone, here is the link to his site:

http://www.gamereformer.com/

If clicking on it does not work, copy it then paste it into a new window:

http://www.gamereformer.com/

And QuantumArt, to post links on this here site of MMORPG.com

you have to click on the tiny picture of the blue planet that is along the boarder of this here reply/edit window. it is the last tool on the right side. If you hover your mouse over it a message appears saying "Insert Hyperlink". click on it and a new mini-window will open. Type in the URL. Then click on "Insert Link". (you can also paste URLs into the mini-window.)

-Personal Website (A Work in progress):
    http://www.geocities.com/xplororor/index.html
    -AC, AC2, AO, EQ, SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor
    -More SWG:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor
    -EverQuest II:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_eq2archives01
    -EQ, Dungeon Siege, Diablo II, *UXO*:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01
    -EVE Online !!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01

• Originally posted by QuantumArt

Ladies and gentlemen! Your crys for game reform have been heard!
    I have specifically opened a site to assist the developers in gathering market specific data. It will take many many memberships to make it work!
    Membership is free and allows you to participate in our forums and surveys.
    Be part of the solution, not the problem! Be heard!
    QuantumArtist
    www.RPGpc.com

Congratulations on trying to make an effort to not only bring attention to the problem(s), but to also be a part of the solution.

Some suggestions on how to make your site better:

1. On the opening title page with that picture, please take out the picture of Jar Jar. No one likes him. Having his picture anywhere on your site will automatically put people in the worse possible mood. (Unless you show a picture of Jar Jar getting sliced up by a lightsaber, or fried by a blaster. Then again, there is a very popular fansite that has 100's of pictures showing all of that.)

2. Also get rid of that picture of C3PO without his skin. It reminds fans of another annoying scene in which Lucas tried to "make a funny" and no one laughed. (When R2 talks to 3PO, and 3PO responds "Oh, oh, I didn't know I was naked!").

3. Replace both those pictures with better ideas like Leia (maybe the one of her in white, holding a blaster) in Jar Jar spot, and Count Doku in 3PO's spot. Just as big. Christopher Lee is one of the reasons AotC was even watched. He is one of the most repected actors still alive. He goes back to the days of classic actors (Spencer Tracy, Lauren Bacal, Dietrich, Kathern Hepburn, Cagney, Bogart, etc...). This will help put visiters in a good mood. (sublimitally, and non-sublimitally).

---------------------

4. At the very bottom of your page where it says:

"

We have chosen to start our service with a game we feel most players will agree has fallen far short of its truest potential-

Star Wars: Galaxies

And its anticipated expansion;

Jump to Lightspeed

Please visit our ideas archive and forums to see our favorite ideas and the ideas of other members!"

Take that entire part and put it on your first title page. The first page everyone sees when they click on the link to visit your site. Move the picture up to the top of the window, and put the message under it.

Then on your main site, put it at the top.

5. On your main site where it says "Welcome To Game Reformer! " take that out, and put it on your title page, above the big picture.

6. On your main site where it says:

"The developers of a game do want to please their customers! This is much more difficult than it sounds however. Problem is;

• Developers of very popular games are swamped with suggestions.
    • It’s difficult to determine the best suggestions for a game.
    • Not every suggestion is a good fit for the game.
    • You can’t please everyone.
    • Eventually, with such a diverse pool of suggestions, developers do their own thing."

Take all of that out. Delete it. The fact you made your site is suppose to be the answer for all of those points.

7. Where it says "This is often leads to player/developer conflict. Developers and players alike feel terribly misunderstood. We want to help! " delete the first sentance and leave the rest as is.

8. Where it says "

Game Reformer is not about generic game design concepts for games yet to be created. Our intent is to make currently [ put this word in-> released ] games better! We intend to; " delete the first sentance. Your second sentance is more than enough to state what you ARE about.

9. In the next part where you say "

That players will have an understanding of why developers are unable to use some concepts and the challenges in making good design choices. " delete that entire sentance.

Since you are setting yourself up to be the middle man. The one trying to contact the game DEVs. If any player suggestions seem undoable, it will be up to you to re-ask the player for better suggestions, or to tell them to be more specific, or re-work it, then you can try presenting it to the game DEVs again.

10. Where it says "It all begins with you! Get involved, share your ideas" repost that again on your first main page. Above the big picture. And also post it at the top of your main page. That is actually the most important sentance on your entire site.

11. Yes, that clock looks cool. And you might like the Moon Phase. But they both are unneeded bells and whistles. If you still, really want to keep them, move them to the bottom of the menu on the left side.

In place of where the clock used to be, put the green text that says:

"

Before you continue, please take a moment to register.
    Registration is free! It allows you to participate in our forums and vote in our surveys!
    Also, be sure to check your junk mail folder for the confirmation email if you cannot find it!"

You want people to come to your site, and post on it, because they feel there is a reason for them to visit and post. The clock and moon does not meet this. That is why they should be moved to the bottom. That is why I'm posting all these suggestions. The idea is put the most important things in front of visiters as soon as possible. Either on the first page they see, or at the top of the main site.

Plus I'd also like to see your site succeed.

I will add a link to your site in my signatures, and at my SWG fansite, and my personal website I'm still working on.

Thank you for the tips! A bunch of that I can help with, the rest... I'll play with it!

See you on the site! You've already made some great points I see!

QuantumArtist

http://www.RPGpc.com

http://www.GameReformer.com/SWG

QuantumArtist