Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If they don't like your name... YOUR PERMANENTLY BANNED!

Comments

• Jerid13Jerid13 Member Posts: 465

Why are yall of you complaining about them banning hackers?

Just a moment ago you were all saying this game was a hacker ridden gankfest and it was not worth playing because of how many people cheated.

Then they make efforts to get rid of the people who are OBVOIUSLY hackers and suddently you guys all act like Vegans at a PETA rally.

WTF people.

Someone whos name is IllIllIllIllIllI   <----

OBVIOUSLY NAMED THEMSELVES THIS TO HACK THE GAME AND EXPLOIT IT AND RUIN IT FOR OTHERS!

Why?

Because why would you have a name like this when no one can message you without extreme difficulty?

The only benefit is ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO REPORT YOU.

Hence if your named something that is INTENTIONALLY confusing or missleading, YES BAN THEM.

Hackers, watch out, they're on to your wily ways.

• curiousdaoccuriousdaoc Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by natuxatu

Yeah this game just gets more and more sad by the day...

QFT, shameful really.

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Too bad all mmog's don't have this policy there would be alot less ppl in wow.One thing thats always drove me nuts in mmogs is the stupid ass names ppl use I think they should expand it any idiot newb who puts a number after there name ban those morons also please. ty

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Instead of doing this, why not offer them a name change instead.  And if the way people are naming their toons is hindering the report system, why not have an option to just click the person and report.  This perma-ban thing is just another ridiculous reason not to purchase this game.  There are far better ways of handling the situation.  I just feel sorry for the player named Lilly.

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622

lol darkfail just keeps on failing when you thought it couldint go lower its amazing

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

I am afraid this thats barely suffices to get rid of the retards. They should include the troll behaviour on MMORPG.com to that list too  and permaban all the trolls here too.  But we getting closer to the good playerbase we players wish to meet in game.

DR welcomes and approves these wise move of Aventurine. keep up the good work guys.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• skydragonrenskydragonren Member Posts: 667
    Originally posted by Jerid13

Just a moment ago you were all saying this game was a hacker ridden gankfest and it was not worth playing because of how many people cheated.
    Then they make efforts to get rid of the people who are OBVOIUSLY hackers and suddently you guys all act like Vegans at a PETA rally.
    WTF people.

OBVIOUSLY NAMED THEMSELVES THIS TO HACK THE GAME AND EXPLOIT IT AND RUIN IT FOR OTHERS!
    Why?
    Because why would you have a name like this when no one can message you without extreme difficulty?
    Hence if your named something that is INTENTIONALLY confusing or missleading, YES BAN THEM.

This post right here, is exactly why it is wrong for ADV to take this approach.

"Someone whos name is IllIllIllIllIllI <----

OBVIOUSLY NAMED THEMSELVES THIS TO HACK THE GAME AND EXPLOIT IT AND RUIN IT FOR OTHERS!"

Obviously... Noone could name theirselves whatever they want and NOT be a hacker could they.

You just make a guess based on a stereotype. You THINK he is a cheater cause he has a retarded name, but you can't prove that he is. Banning based off a name is horribly wrong.

1. Devs need to code in a report button anchored to the portrait or player. You know right click target window -> click report. Click on player -> right click -> click report.

2. Once reported devs need to go to the logs and verify 100% player was indeed hacking -> ban player.

The above is how a game is SUPPOSE to work.

DFO sadly does not work this way, and the devs are to damn lazy or incompetent to do it the right way. So they are going to ban a bunch of people based off guesses, stereotypes and names. So very smart....

Originally posted by skydragonren

WTF people.

Why?

OBVIOUSLY NAMED THEMSELVES THIS TO HACK THE GAME AND EXPLOIT IT AND RUIN IT FOR OTHERS!"

Obviously... Noone could name theirselves whatever they want and NOT be a hacker could they.

You just make a guess based on a stereotype. You THINK he is a cheater cause he has a retarded name, but you can't prove that he is. Banning based off a name is horribly wrong.

1. Devs need to code in a report button anchored to the portrait or player. You know right click target window -> click report. Click on player -> right click -> click report.

2. Once reported devs need to go to the logs and verify 100% player was indeed hacking -> ban player.

DFO sadly does not work this way, and the devs are to damn lazy or incompetent to do it the right way. So they are going to ban a bunch of people based off guesses, stereotypes and names. So very smart....

The reason no legit player would name themselves IllIllIllIll 

AS I EXPLAINED.

Who the heck would type that in every time to message you?

I've played MMO's quite a long time, never ever ever met a legit player who had a name that was difficult like that, the only reason is to hinder the reporting process

Same thing goes for names with unusual characters in WoW, that is why they didn't allow you to have them for the longest time until recently when almost all the names were used up.

Thinking there are REAL players who are not hacking using names like that is just taking a side for the sake of arguing it.

The debate is over should they be banned or not...   This is not a debate on if AV should have seen this comming and made a way to prevent it.

That would be a different topic

• curiousdaoccuriousdaoc Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

I am afraid this thats barely suffices to get rid of the retards. They should include the troll behaviour on MMORPG.com to that list too  and permaban all the trolls here too.  But we getting closer to the good playerbase we players wish to meet in game.
    DR welcomes and approves these wise move of Aventurine. keep up the good work guys.

Not the brightest bulb in the box, are you?

Keep cheering them on, while you provide them with cash to fund a game that was dead before it ever launched, doesn't bother me one bit.

Very comical indeed, and nobody gives a rats ass what you "approve" of. You are one of the biggest fanboys this site has seen in the last three years, take your head out of your ass and wake up, you are just as much as part of the problem as the "trolls" are.

Ignorant hypocrite.

WTF people.

Why?

AS I EXPLAINED.

I've played MMO's quite a long time, never ever ever met a legit player who had a name that was difficult like that, the only reason is to hinder the reporting process

Same thing goes for names with unusual characters in WoW, that is why they didn't allow you to have them for the longest time until recently when almost all the names were used up.

Thinking there are REAL players who are not hacking using names like that is just taking a side for the sake of arguing it.

The debate is over should they be banned or not...   This is not a debate on if AV should have seen this comming and made a way to prevent it.

Well you are wrong. You just met one. In WoW every character I make has at least 5 Character mapped character in the name.

Why do I do this? I cheat obviously... No I do not, I do that so I do not get spam and tell's from retards and beggers.

If I know you then I am in your friend list and vise versa, When a friend wants to contact me, they simply open the friend window and shift click my name for a tell.

I do it though cause I am obviously a cheater.

This isn't the 1600's, we are not in Salem and you are not a witch hunter. So quit thinking you can spot the evil hackers based off a name.

Because you are wrong my friend and ADV is wrong as well.

*Edit - The Salem Witch trials was in the 1600's man I am rusty in history.

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

This game shows once more its nothing more than a big joke, havent the devs ever tried any other mmo?

In qutie a few you cant make BS name that have the same letter 3 times in a row or stuff like that.

DF is just doing like aoc did, showing other devs that you can do whatever you want with a mmo, say it will have 3000 features, make something really shitty and the soullesss fanboys will still defend it.

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

• blackjack131blackjack131 Member Posts: 8

The GM's shouldn't have to waste their time running around changing idiotic players names for them.  It's an adult game, and the people who are doing it are doing for the sole reason of making it impossible to report them. Buy the ticket, take the ride buddy.  They want to hack and gain an unfair advantage, and now Aventurine is doing something about it. good for AV I say.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

WTF people.

Why?

Sigh.  If it walks like a duck, and quacks, like a duck, its a duck.  This isn't a court of law, its a pretty safe bet than anyone who names their character so obtusely is doing so for unsavory reasons and deserves to be punished.

In this very thread people have posted stories of what is obviously a hacker.  There are no counter posts about legitimate players with names like this.

And you'll note, their accounts are not being immediately banned, they have been given an amnesty period of 2 days to delete their characters and recreate them.

There's no indication that Aventurine can't change the players names. I'm pretty sure they can, its just an entry in a DB table that can easily be edited.   They are chosing not to, because 1) it is time consuming and would require their Dev's to stop working on programming,  and 2) THEY INTENTIONALLY WANT TO PUNISH THE HACKERS.

Since it is a game we're talking about, and not real life, they can afford to take a chance and perhaps accidently ban a legitimate player. Though I would argue that if you can't make a proper name in an MMO you probably deserve a ban regardless your intent, but thats a discussion for another thread.

I'm not a fan of Aventurine, but too many folks seem to be blinded by their hatred of the company and DF and do nothing but look for opportunity to try and discredit DF.  

Look at this thread.  They are trying to take what is bascially a postivive move (banning hackers from the game) and focusing on whether or not they should have been more lenient and provided an alternative to renaming the characters.

Its their game, they don't have to, they can do what they want.

You can chose not to play it.

Pretty simple afterall.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

WTF people.

Why?

AS I EXPLAINED.

Well you are wrong. You just met one. In WoW every character I make has at least 5 Character mapped character in the name.

Why do I do this? I cheat obviously... No I do not, I do that so I do not get spam and tell's from retards and beggers.

If I know you then I am in your friend list and vise versa, When a friend wants to contact me, they simply open the friend window and shift click my name for a tell.

I do it though cause I am obviously a cheater.

This isn't the 1800's, we are not in Salem and you are not a witch hunter. So quit thinking you can spot the evil hackers based off a name.

Because you are wrong my friend and ADV is wrong as well.

So your saying your name in wow is IllIllIllIll?

Cus that is what they are banning, they didn't say they're getting rid of people who have unsual characters, just names that are intentionally hard to type out and or misleading.

If you have a name like this then its sorta obvious as to why you would have a misleading and or confusing name.

I'm sorry if you named yourself something hard to type out and are freaking out about it, perhaps you should put in a ticket for yourself and ask for a name change or something.

I mean honestly I don't see the problem here, if your name is confusing then there is a 95% chance as to why...

Sure I bet there will be someone banned in error, but um.. that happens in every game, so should they just not try to fight the hacking in the game at all then?

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

So many stupid people posting in this thread.....

How many people do we hear everyday saying a company doesn't do shit against hackers and now that DarkFall is actually taking the matter seriously, they find a new reason to cry! WTF?

What are they doing wrong now? Banning players who uses IIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII as their name? or maybe astaohifoashtoeahp? What's so bad about this? I mean do you really expect to become friend with a player called haryatgagaga? Have you ever seen a player called this way and did not use any hack? (excluding high level players who does not have to hack anymore as they have reached max level).

I mean seriously....it's the first company that ban those stupid people for obviously hacking. For people who say "what if someone has illi as his name?" Do you think Aventurine is dumb enough not to make a difference between a real name and IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIII? C'mon. As for others who are crying about this matter, why does it bother you? Is it because you also use such name and hack?

Oh...before you start calling me a fanboy.....No. I am not and I do not wish to buy this game either for various reasons based on many mistake they did BUT for once I must say that they have made the good choice of banning those assholes. I just wish more companies would take this path too.

As for people who say : "Yeah well they could just program something to rename character" Why? So players can hack, grow stronger and then change their name to erase all trace? Choosing IIIIII IIIIIIIIIII as a name is more of a curse than anything else....don't allow them heal this curse.

• VagelispVagelisp Member UncommonPosts: 448

I think that players who prefer this and similar ways of confusing others don't care about the longevity of their characters in any way. Even worse i am afraid that they don't even care about the longevity of Darkfall as a game.

Allowing the change of a name does not cover or change the initial purpose of these people. I don't think that they are just "simple" people who want to stand out by using unique names, but efforts to create a negative experience for people that just want to play.

Many online games are suffering from this kind of behavior even the most popular ones and if this is enough to shut down darkfall then it is enough to shut down any other mmorpg out there.

So your saying your name in wow is IllIllIllIll?

Cus that is what they are banning, they didn't say they're getting rid of people who have unsual characters, just names that are intentionally hard to type out and or misleading.

If you have a name like this then its sorta obvious as to why you would have a misleading and or confusing name.

I'm sorry if you named yourself something hard to type out and are freaking out about it, perhaps you should put in a ticket for yourself and ask for a name change or something.

I mean honestly I don't see the problem here, if your name is confusing then there is a 95% chance as to why...

Sure I bet there will be someone banned in error, but um.. that happens in every game, so should they just not try to fight the hacking in the game at all then?

Talking to DFO fans is worse than going to the dentist for me.

Where are you pulling that 95% of people with jacked up names are hackers. This is what I am talking about. All of you are just pulling numbers and statistics out of your asses with nothing to back up what you say besides "cool ADV is banning people".

I know a shit ton of people with IiiiIIiIIiII in their names that do not hack. Also Tasos used IiiiIIIIiii as an example. Not that they are only banning people with L's and I's.

You just need to realize that banning players based solely off their names is ridiculous business practice.

Also what about those "legit" players with crazy names that have worked really hard to build their character up, and now have to "delete" it and start all over again because they chose a name that falls into ADV ban mold.

It is ridiculous and I guess I am the only person on planet earth that thinks so.

All I was saying is, a GOOD company, with COMPETENT developers, do not have to ban from someones name. They can give options and setup a reporting system to sort this thing out without horrid business practice and loss in revenue because they are lazy.

Just as you say my 95% is pulled out of my ass so is your "legit" players with odd names.

Find me one.

Your arugment against my arugment works against your argument!

RAWR!

In the same release that he posted today he said that they were checking logs for cheaters too, and that no single thing would get somone banned they had automated checks AND actual GM checks on people.

How much you wanna bet they won't just ban people outright and will investigate them a little bit.

Oh and I'm not a "DF Fan"  I happen to have a forum account and I read up on whats going on, I'd like to play the game some day when there are not so many cheaters and when they throw in a bunch more content, but as of right now yeah, I dont wanna pay for beta.

Just as you say my 95% is pulled out of my ass so is your "legit" players with odd names.
    Find me one.
    RAWR!

In the same release that he posted today he said that they were checking logs for cheaters too, and that no single thing would get somone banned they had automated checks AND actual GM checks on people.
    How much you wanna bet they won't just ban people outright and will investigate them a little bit.

We will take WoW for example because it has the most subs on this planet.

I am willing to bet at least 2million players of wow have a character mapped name such as mine. Odds are that number is much higher, cause when I used to play 3 of 5 players names were character mapped.

Character mapped names are even harder to report than I's and L's because unless the player engages in chat OR you actually know all the commands for character mapping. You prolly can't report them.

So you are going to sit here and say 95% of those 2 million players are hackers?

It's ridiculous and your argument is ridiculous.

I am all for banning hackers. I wish they would. Just do it the right way, by actually researching the logs to find the hacks the player used, get some evidence and then ban their ass.

Don't ban someone cause his name is IIiiIiiLegolasiIiiIIii.

• AllNewMMOSukAllNewMMOSuk Member Posts: 241

It does tend to show the type of person who hates having a character deleted for trying to exploit when the title of the post is "YOUR PERMANENTLY BANNED" insted of "You're".

Find me one.
    RAWR!

We will take WoW for example because it has the most subs on this planet.

I am willing to bet at least 2million players of wow have a character mapped name such as mine. Odds are that number is much higher, cause when I used to play 3 of 5 players names were character mapped.

Character mapped names are even harder to report than I's and L's because unless the player engages in chat OR you actually know all the commands for character mapping. You prolly can't report them.

So you are going to sit here and say 95% of those 2 million players are hackers?

It's ridiculous and your argument is ridiculous.

I am all for banning hackers. I wish they would. Just do it the right way, by actually researching the logs to find the hacks the player used, get some evidence and then ban their ass.

Don't ban someone cause his name is IIiiIiiLegolasiIiiIIii.

Willing to bet is just as much proof as my 95% percent.....

You didn't add anything to the table except more speculation and Heresay.

Please post information rather than speculation.

Oh and if his name is IllIllILegolasIllIllI

BAN!    I hate people who cna't think up a real name and just steal everyone elses ideas and tack on a bunch of random letters.

XxxMarioxxX  <-- Example.

People like this need to think up an actual name that is THEIRS, just like all the folks who have "RastlinMaj" as their name or

"Drizztxx"  crap this like makes me hate MMO players who can't be origional.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

WOW just WOW.  Banning someone over it's name.  A bit harsh i'd say.  I understand the complaint of the players got killed by this guy, but come on, this doesnt deserve a ban, a warning and a name change would have done it.  You perma ban someone when it's something severe, like exploiting, cheating, not because he made it's name with only 2 letters L and I.

Originally posted by Aguitha

WOW just WOW.  Banning someone over it's name.  A bit harsh i'd say.  I understand the complaint of the players got killed by this guy, but come on, this doesnt deserve a ban, a warning and a name change would have done it.  You perma ban someone when it's something severe, like exploiting, cheating, not because he made it's name with only 2 letters L and I.

You do understand that the guy in question was HACKING right?

PERMA BAN!

So you agree with what they did... they have proof the guy was using exploits and they got rid of him. 

A  job well done.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

For once, I'm gonna agree with Aventurine. Other companies are way too nice when it comes to naming abuses. If they have the balls to really ban immature idiots who intentionally use retarded names either to offend or annoy other players or to abuse game mechanics, I can only applaude.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    Originally posted by Paragus1

I also wish this game would go away. It is a bane in the existence of the MMO Genre. It's like that sore on the inside of your mouth that would prolly heal, if only you could stop licking it.
    The sooner DFO dies the better. Then maybe a company that knows what the hell they are doing, will take the DFO model, improve upon it, and give us a game that is actually worth playing.
    That is asking a lot though.

I'm sorry, I don't really see how any MMO closing down benefits any of us who play these games.  The more games there are, the more competition there will be, and the more options we as the gamers will have to find a good game.  If you don't like the game or whatever, you are definitely entitled to your opinion, but if you are actively sitting on a game's official message boards spamming refresh hoping to find something negative so you can run to the MMORPG.com forums and post it, well I think that speaks volumes.  How does spending hours of your time lobbying for the failure of a video game in a forum full of people who already don't like it do anything productive?

It helps in a way that other developers may not be encouraged to produce half-finished product. The more we defend games that are unfinished/buggy, the more we encourage other MMO-developer-wannabes to follow suite. I dont know about you, but I noticed that MMOs aren't as polished as they used to be/ Why? Because people keep forgiving them. Oh they dont have money, oh they are indie dev, oh everyone makes mistakes. We shouldn't be giving them slack for any reason. If they can't make a polished game, then they shouldn't try and waste their time and their investors' money.

You wouldn't like an idea of buying milk that is only half way full, would you?

To answer your last question: the more people complain about lack of promised features, bugs or what have you, the more aware other people are. If I were never to read DF board I would buy DF on the spot becuase all those listed features appeal to me. But, I have learned from my own mistakes, I do not blindly buy games now. I rely on forums like these to see how good a game is, how polished it is.

EDIT: back to the topic, how hard is it to add toString().ToUpper()  to the function that is responcible for displaying the player name? If the name is in uppercase (and there is an appropriate font), then all upper case letters are unique and unmistacable. Plus, how hard is it to have a simple shortcut like CTRL+ALT+C that would simply copy your selected target's name into buffer and you can paste it on the forum or chat? It is a VERY stupid idea to punish players for not predicting this situation. This is the fault of the programmers for not predicting this situation, and QA (if they do have QA) for not catching this.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage