Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If they don't like your name... YOUR PERMANENTLY BANNED!

Comments

• skydragonrenskydragonren Member Posts: 667
    Originally posted by javac

i love it. idiots who make chars with stupid names get pwned. it's exactly how it should be.

another victory for zero idiot tolerance.

in before yet more crying from the carebear crowd.

No what is stupid is costing some poor sap 50 bucks (100 bucks if he wants to try his luck again) over some digital L's.

When all you have to do is have the programming knowledge of a monkey to allow a player to login and change their names before connected to the server.

Then you get to keep a sub fee, fill your world with cool names like Trogdor, and weed out those who play legit and those who do not.

Oh well. Who cares anyway right?

• Bruticus_XIBruticus_XI Member Posts: 827
    Originally posted by nikoliath

1. It's their game, their rules - play by them or sod off.
    2. Anyone named iLLiLLi ( IllIllI ) has chosen that name to be a jerk, period.
    I have seen it in many games, exploiters and cheaters use these names to make it very hard to report them effectively i.e Planetside.
    3. Why didn't they foresee this nonsense by enforcing a software naming policy?
    4. Good for them.

How cute, the hardcore PvPers in game think they can come here and back up every strict decision made by Tasos/Aventurine, so they can feel as badass on the forums as they do in game.

1. Yeah, you're right, but the OP probably sodded off already and is just sharing his thoughts about the matter. When you sod off do you have to shut up too?

2. How is that hard to report? Any competent chat nowadays has an option to right-click the name in the chat log, revealing options such as Add to Friends List, Ignore, and, oh, REPORT!

3. Because Aventurine are noobs.

4. Good for them how? They get bad publicity and insults from the OP.

• Vince_GVince_G Member Posts: 85
    Originally posted by Paragus1

If you want the game to go away so bad, you know you could just go follow another game.   For someone who is not interested in darkfall and wants it to go away, you had this thread created within a few minutes of his update on the official forums.   Do you always follow the official forums so closely of games you want to go away?

Why are you following the game so closely and trying to convince us you want it to go away?  It's a legitimate question....

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052

OP is probably pissed because now he has to delete his character.

• prowprow Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by robertb

Originally posted by prow

I have seen it in many games, exploiters and cheaters use these names to make it very hard to report them effectively i.e Planetside.
    4. Good for them.

So permanently banning people for having these names and NOT allowing them to change their name instead is fine with you?  wtf?

Indeed, they can delete their il-named character and reroll another with a more appropriate name.

The Darkfall community is infested with baboons. As such, it is best to deal with them using a very large stick, imo...

Why force people to make another toon when they can easily allow people to change their names?  You people are defending this game are pathetic as you are defending a lost cause...  Just looking at your defense "Indeed, they can delete their il-named character and reroll another with a more appropriate name" makes me thank GOD I am no longer part of this game because darkfail is full of idiots...  geez...

• AllNewMMOSukAllNewMMOSuk Member Posts: 241

This thread is funny for the reason that someone, who clearly has played enough MMOs to know better, made a name they knew would make it more time consuming to be reported/kicked etc. Then when the company says we know what you're doing so we're going to ban anyone who has those types of names, the guy who clearly knew what he was doind was not on the level, now cries about it.

Then all the other people, who play darkfall for the fun of trying to cheat the system anyways they can, side with him since they have undoubtly done that very action in many games.

More threads like this just confirm my thought that darkfall would bring all those players, who you hated seeing in every other PvP MMO because they tried to exploit or cheat any moment they could, into one game.

Exploiters always make the most noise on forums when companies take action too, never fails.

Originally posted by Ruyn

OP is probably pissed because now he has to delete his character.

lol naw... I got a refund about 2 weeks after it came out... CC dispute ftw!

Originally posted by Vince_G

If you want the game to go away so bad, you know you could just go follow another game.   For someone who is not interested in darkfall and wants it to go away, you had this thread created within a few minutes of his update on the official forums.   Do you always follow the official forums so closely of games you want to go away?

Why are you following the game so closely and trying to convince us you want it to go away?  It's a legitimate question....

Well he could be like me, and follow the game everyday to get the latest scoop on the train wreck that is DFO.

Hell I come here for entertainment purposes only.

I also wish this game would go away. It is a bane in the existence of the MMO Genre. It's like that sore on the inside of your mouth that would prolly heal, if only you could stop licking it.

The sooner DFO dies the better. Then maybe a company that knows what the hell they are doing, will take the DFO model, improve upon it, and give us a game that is actually worth playing.

That is asking a lot though.

Originally posted by skydragonren

Originally posted by Vince_G

Well he could be like me, and follow the game everyday to get the latest scoop on the train wreck that is DFO.

Hell I come here for entertainment purposes only.

I also wish this game would go away. It is a bane in the existence of the MMO Genre. It's like that sore on the inside of your mouth that would prolly heal, if only you could stop licking it.

The sooner DFO dies the better. Then maybe a company that knows what the hell they are doing, will take the DFO model, improve upon it, and give us a game that is actually worth playing.

Yep, I totally agree

• robertbrobertb Member UncommonPosts: 684
    Originally posted by Bruticus_XI

4. Good for them.

How cute, the hardcore PvPers in game think they can come here and back up every strict decision made by Tasos/Aventurine, so they can feel as badass on the forums as they do in game.

1. Yeah, you're right, but the OP probably sodded off already and is just sharing his thoughts about the matter. When you sod off do you have to shut up too?

2. How is that hard to report? Any competent chat nowadays has an option to right-click the name in the chat log, revealing options such as Add to Friends List, Ignore, and, oh, REPORT!

1. OP is entitled to his opinion

2.  Chat log? Where is there any reference to an actual chat having occured? The fact of the matter is that certain individuals chose names such as these, to simply make it very difficult for them to be identified by other players.

If the player, in fact, simply  erred, well as Spock said, "The good of the many outweighs the good of the few, or the one."

3. Perhaps, but they sure made a fun game.

4. For some reason, I just don't get the impression that AV really cares. The long term effect of such an attitude remains to be seen, with regards to this game. 

• robertbrobertb Member UncommonPosts: 684

4. Good for them.

So permanently banning people for having these names and NOT allowing them to change their name instead is fine with you?  wtf?

Indeed, they can delete their il-named character and reroll another with a more appropriate name.

The Darkfall community is infested with baboons. As such, it is best to deal with them using a very large stick, imo...

Why force people to make another toon when they can easily allow people to change their names?  You people are defending this game are pathetic as you are defending a lost cause...  Just looking at your defense "Indeed, they can delete their il-named character and reroll another with a more appropriate name" makes me thank GOD I am no longer part of this game because darkfail is full of idiots...  geez...

Well, since it was my idea to simply ban these idiots and since AV, for whatever reason, chose to do just that, I seriously don't see an issue with the action.

I am actually quite pleased with it.

• Bruticus_XIBruticus_XI Member Posts: 827

Originally posted by Bruticus_XI

4. Good for them.

1. OP is entitled to his opinion

2.  Chat log? Where is there any reference to an actual chat having occured? The fact of the matter is that certain individuals chose names such as these, to simply make it very difficult for them to be identified by other players.

If the player, in fact, simply  erred, well as Spock said, "The good of the many outweighs the good of the few, or the one."

3. Perhaps, but they sure made a fun game.

4. For some reason, I just don't get the impression that AV really cares. The long term effect of such an attitude remains to be seen, with regards to this game. 

Okay then. I did assume that people were referring to gold farmers, because those are the people you generally report...and they work through chat. Sometimes through in-game mail, but I'm not sure if Darkfall has that. I'm sure there's some kind of weird reason why Tasos decided to do this, but if you love alliteration, you get your skills pretty high, and then he comes out and says, "Delete your toon or be perma-banned!", it's a little over-the-top. If anything, they should offer a free name change, and if the "criminal" creates a name similar to his old one, then maybe consider banning.

I can agree with niko that names like that are tricky to report sometimes, if you have to type out the name. Especially in WoW where you have spammers named ƒ?d4?♥?üC4 or something.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

What you guys should be asking, is why does the system allow for such names in the first place.

Again, MMO Internets 101.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741

I'm sorry, I don't really see how any MMO closing down benefits any of us who play these games.  The more games there are, the more competition there will be, and the more options we as the gamers will have to find a good game.  If you don't like the game or whatever, you are definitely entitled to your opinion, but if you are actively sitting on a game's official message boards spamming refresh hoping to find something negative so you can run to the MMORPG.com forums and post it, well I think that speaks volumes.  How does spending hours of your time lobbying for the failure of a video game in a forum full of people who already don't like it do anything productive?

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715

Jesus what is wrong with this company?  Check out Tasos's post:

forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php

Here is a quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Tasos

In 48 hours characters with names made in an effort to confuse GMs and other players, for example adding a string of lower cap L’s and upper case I’s (IlIlIIIl) in their names will start getting their host accounts permanently banned. If you have a character like that, delete him and make a new one with a proper name.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a picture for future references if they erase this thread:

Don't permanently ban someone because you have no clue how to code a way into your system to be able to rename their character's names... DON'T PERMANENTLY BAN SOMEONE FOR YOUR INCOMPETIENCE!

Hell more devlopers should be like this, it's aboiut time a company took action against "the look at me" asshats.

• xiirotxiirot Fallen Earth CorrespondentMember Posts: 328

OP: please change your avatar.  it's messed up looking, bothers me.  wtf is it?

"Good people are good because they've come to wisdom through failure. We get very little wisdom from success, you know." William Saroyan

I'm sorry, I don't really see how any MMO closing down benefits any of us who play these games.  The more games there are, the more competition there will be, and the more options we as the gamers will have to find a good game.  If you don't like the game or whatever, you are definitely entitled to your opinion, but if you are actively sitting on a game's official message boards spamming refresh hoping to find something negative so you can run to the MMORPG.com forums and post it, well I think that speaks volumes.  How does spending hours of your time lobbying for the failure of a video game in a forum full of people who already don't like it do anything productive?

1. Absolutely nothing in regards to gaming is productive. Unless game developer is your profession in life. If not then you are wasting life.

2. I disagree that we should fill up the genre with mediocre half finished, piles of doo doo just so we have "competition". I can name several games right along the side of DFO that need to be closed down. DFO is not the only one. It is just in the spot light right now because it has SO MANY problems and is ran by guys in make-up that obviously went to clown college and not real college.

3. I do not even visit the official DFO forums, there isn't a point to it. I do not play DFO therefore I do not really care to visit their site.

4. I actively sit on MMORPG boards because this is what I choose to do while at work. I have one of those jobs where I can work AND surf the forums at the same time. It helps keep me sane throughout the day.

5. Making excuses for a severely bad developer decision in regards to the game doesn't help anyone. Name me one other game that bans any player based off names UNLESS the name is offensive in nature. None that I can remember. Every game I have played, and it has been all of them, the devs change the name themselves, send you an email letting you know they did so, and let you go on about your business. Some even give you a window upon login, forcing a name change but allowing the player to make the change.

So why has no other game adopted this policy of ban first ask questions later?

Simple, it is bad business, and bad developing.

Course I don't really care if they follow this course. It just sinks DFO lower into the abyss. All good things to me.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

But.....was it not this all the Darkfal haters wanted?? That Aventurine would take action agenst all idiotes?

The haters have complained about "hackers paridise" and so, and when Aventirine says they will ban them all.......the haters whine about that to???

And the name issie, You dont need to be a retard to understand why you would not choose a normal name in the first place. So why not ban them? There is no reason to not ban them.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

I say, Finaly a company that takes real actions against people that make names that are just...well I wont write it here;) 

Every single mmo player knows there are rules about naming(or should know if they read instead of just clicking  accept )

That most company's do not enforce there own rules has made most customers think they can do anyting.

its exsacly the same in any bussiness, Follow the rules, know the laws and you be fine,  the risk not doing so is always yours.

it may go good for a long time but when it hits you in the face take your loss and move on.

• MuffinStumpMuffinStump Member UncommonPosts: 474

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth
    What you guys should be asking, is why does the system allow for such names in the first place.

Again, MMO Internets 101.

This.

Settling the needs of the many, the few, and the one idiot who thinks he is being funny.

• SXRchosen1SXRchosen1 Member Posts: 179

it does seem abit harsh but it makes sense...there are alot of cheats for DF (sadly)...its just another way to keep the asshats out of the game, bad or good...i played the game for about a week, it has a lot of potential to be a very successfull game, just needs some more work, its a new MMO, give it a break guys...

http://acominos.evony.com <- if your bored at work :)

• twitch242twitch242 Member UncommonPosts: 177

Wish all games would do this, would keep the games more moronfree.

• loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 264

I'm just curious why they cannot just ban him for cheating instead of his name. They seem to need money and banning people for weird names doesn't seem like a good business model.

In that same post from tasos he said they have logs of everything which includes combat. They could've pulled his name from those logs. This whole game screams incompetance. 

Originally posted by twitch242

Wish all games would do this, would keep the games more moronfree.

People are steering away from what the OP was about.

I once had a friend in an MMO, Who made a druid.

His name was Icanmake Atreeandalynxandawolf.

This name though retarded, is not offensive. Some people have to understand that not everyone takes an MMO serious.

A game by nature and definition is suppose to be fun.

Serious and Fun can go hand in hand, but typically do not. He didn't care about his character name. He just wanted to play the game. So he did. He later made a character named IIIIIIShadowIIIIIII.

This name also retarded, is not offensive.

He didn't cheat in the game, he just played, and played to have fun. Names ment nothing to him.

By all of your guys logic, this player should have been banned from the game he enjoyed to play.

Which is wrong, and all of you are wrong.

Some players do make stupid names to cheat, but a competent developer team can handle this issue of renaming without banning players and costing revenue.

All the OP was saying is, gamers should be given an option. The only reason they are not is because the dev team is either extremely stupid or extremely lazy. You pick. I don't really care.

The approach that ADV is about to take, you can't seperate the non-cheaters from the cheaters, you going to hit a lot of innocents in the xfire. This my friends is bad business.

• oddjobs74oddjobs74 Member Posts: 526
    Originally posted by javac

i love it. idiots who make chars with stupid names get pwned. it's exactly how it should be.

another victory for zero idiot tolerance.

in before yet more crying from the carebear crowd.

If there was Zero idiot tollerance in DF the game would be populated by 3 guys instead of the 16 that currently play.

I agree people with names like that are griefers and up to no good, but still a ban for it is rediculous and lazy.. I would change the name to something so gay, that the guy would probably delete the toon anyhow.