Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Warhammer 40K for 2012?

2»

Comments

• mutatormutator Member Posts: 131

and for the orks? nods? and space marines? will they start as space marine scouts, and become normal space marines?  and tyranids would have spores and then tyranids with guns then genestealers which are found on space hulks:D the eldar would have guardians as the first and other types and in the end have seer council:D  dark eldar would have slave and then some guardian type and another type after that:P any race i am missing? what about those small little green things that the orks boss around? dunno what they will become... tau would probably have kroot then tau firewarrior:D what happens with the huge mutants that are on the humans team? dunno their name:P will they have different space marine chapters like space wolves, ultramarines, mortifactors, blood raven, raven guard, death watch (death watch is just a gathering of space marines from different chapters that are spesialiced in hunting of tyranids) soul drinkers, imperial fists, dark angels, and the many other chapters but unfortunately i dont want to write tousands of chapters (because thats how many there is)

will the necron still be in? and the last and final question, are there any possibility to be a merchant there?

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

Not 100% up on the lore of WH40k

But I do know that if there WAS merchants (which I highly doubt as everyone is in a perpetual state of war)

That you'd be limited to your own race or possible allied outposts in the case of the Imperial Guard and the Tau seeing the glory of the emperor and the Tau having a sect of Humans following the Greater Good.

Mounts would be easy too or should I say Vehicles

Of course for the classes they may just use natural roles and just have you gain the ability to become heroic in nature via Battlegear.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Another game company attempting to get into the MMO market.  So far most of these attempts have never made it to the public testing phase.  I wish them luck at beating the odds, but I would not hold my breath.

Most of the others didn't have the $$$ either

THQ has enough to throw around then some.

THQ has enough money to make this game a failure and not fall from it:) AND ALSO in front of tyranids or chaos, the tau and the humans will put aside their hostileness to wok together. and the eldar will do anything including joining forces with humans in front of a chaos invation dunno about tyranids there... but i think they would just abondon the surface:P ohh i got more questions:D will there be a individual PDF for each planet included (i am counting on that this game will be played over multiple planets) ofcourse the PDF is just what the imperial guard and the former imperial guard use (chaos PDF) its like a garnison:)  will the tyranids be able to destroy planets through "Feeding" of the organic material? will it be possible for chaos to convert NPC and player character to their cause? will the ogryns still be on the imperial guard side? and alot more... will ask later:P (tough this is just because i dont have imagination to think of any of these myself)

Well ala DoW II I would be sure the Eldar and Humans got along (Eldar, SM, IG, SoB) but the Tau are self reliant and as such will not accept anyone that does not follow the Greater Good. Although they do have pockets of other races following such methodology such as Human and Eldar So I'd view the Tau as Neutral to them not allied. On the EVIL side of things the Necron wouldn't be playable since they're mindless killing machines and have no will of their own. Dark Eldar and Tyranids would probably work towards a mutually beneficial goal, Tyranids eating a planet and the Dark Eldar trapping all the countless souls. Orks & Chaos would likely be wary of each other as they've had several instances in the past where they've not seen eye to eye. All the enemy factions would likely be Neutral to one another as most of them can tolerate each others presence but would rather scrape their gums with rusty metal than be allied to them.

Humans would likely have grandiose planetary structures, whole cities and massively fortified outposts, Chaos would have similar except well, you know how chaos is about things. SM and SoB would be the exceptions to the human rule as SM would pretty much be in Orbiting space stations ready to deploy at a moments notice halfway cross the universe. SoB would be seperated out into the Holy City of the Inquisition as their main stay city since as agents of the inquisition we all know they view everything as Guilty until proven innocent.

But as for the game they'd all probably do the whole 3 Class system which breaks down into specializations

So you have the Melee type the Ranged type and the Special type (Or Warrior, Ranger/Rogue, Caster)

Tau - Kroot Warrior, Fire Warrior, Vespid

Orks - Slugga, Shoota, Mad Doc

etc etc.

Though some might further diversify with 4 since some have some REALLLLYY unique class structures in them.

As for THQ farking it up hah I doubt it, they're not Blizzard rich, besides GW would probably rip their allowance to use WH40k Themes and such in their games from them so fast they'd go broke instantly.

the DoW Games are great and Squad Command was good too. So far their track record speaks for itself.

• demongoatdemongoat Member UncommonPosts: 68

after reading this i decided to make it my first post on here.

sadly i doubt the company making the game or THQ will decide to have eather tyranids or necron as playable races.

tbh, as much as i'd love to play them, they both are overly powerful in comparison to the other races and they really wouldn't cause anyone to keep playing the races out of atteachment.

which is part of why people play mmorpgs long after the shiny newness has worn off.  i doubt most players would feel any real attachment to playing a tyranid or necron character past the novelty of playing one (sort of like playing some of the ork classes in WAR)

not saying some wouldn't enjoy the races till the servers are shut down after the games run, just saying it wouldn't be that good of a gamble on the companies part to do from the start.

now empire or space marine, chaos or eldar, or even later dark eldar are good choices over all, mostly because people can and most likely will feel some connection to advancing the character.  on the other hand, orks,tyranids, necrons are not really that connectable to most people imo, unless you enjoy the novelty of playing them.

just my 2 cents though.

we will see, but i honestly figure this will be how it turns out, considering the way THQ handled dow and dow2

lol Orks can be playable for sure they all have distinct personalities unlike Necrons or Tyranids where Necrons are mindless autonomatons controlled by the Crypt lord and Tyranids have a unified Hive mind for a singular purpose.

The imperium of man (SM, IG, SoB) all have the common thread of humanity with the individuality in everyone but they all unify themselves under the Emperor.

The Eldar and Tau are similar in that its their Beliefs or Eternal struggles that unify them, The Eldar viewing themselves the highest authority in the universe keeping the Necrons and other forces of pure evil at bay (Dark Eldar, Tyranids, and Chaos) and the Tau trying to unite the universe under the Greater Good and keeping the IG at Arms length while smacking down Chaos (yeah Chaos has several enemies).

On the bad side You have the Orks, the Dark Eldar, and Chaos

Chaos have one goal in mind to corrupt the universe and enslave it

The Orks have one goal as well and that's to prove THEY'RE the strongest and ain't no git eva gonna show them up ( heh)

The Dark Eldar...well these guys are pretty much your A-Class evil, they're methodical, calculating, and downright vicious. They're goals are either enslavement or death and they hold generally no pity for their ancient brethern the Eldar. You could relate to these guys if you've ever had that moment of rage to the point where you felt like killing someone.

But as i said Necrons are like WoW's Scourge, you can't play em because they don't have any individuality to them at all, and Tyranids while cool looking wouldn't work playable wise either since they have a unified hive mind on one thought to devour life.

Those saying THQ would screw this up obviously haven't played their multiple DoW RTS titles.

on the last sentence there... if it was me you were aiming for i was just saying they could affourd a screw up... and the second thing:) earlier SOMEBODY said that tau would not go together... well it just happens to be so that the tau hates the tyranids so mutch they would actually go to a human world (infested with tyranids) just to crush them... their greater good belief keeps them from allying people but that doesnt mean they cant work together... Imperial guards, sisters of battle, the inqusition, space marines and all the other branches of humans should be able to work together with eldar and tau (sisters of battle is no guarantee because they would shoot everyone until there is noone left on the planet just to make sure none of the evil get out alive so guess what would happen with the wrong information) 

and for different classes there should be scouts (weapons like snipers and faster then normal to run if fps if its wow playing they could be slow as slugs for all that matters may go close combat but sucks at it) warriors (better then the scouts at combat but rather avarage at everything may go close combat)  heavy warriors (should have better weapon and/or better armor but moves very slowly normally may go close combat) psychics (they have the power but lack the duration one foe is doomed 10 foes is doomed but one sniper and the psychic is doomed, or just a lucky shot) special class (imperial guard could have ogryns, chaos could have one for each belief like berserkers of khorne and mutants of tzeentch the plague bearers of nurgle (would make people sick) and for slaanesh i dont really have a special type... but i guess a succubus would fit well:) naah i am just kidding:) 

would people be able to board space hulks? and mayby even cease control over it... think of having a ship the size of a planet!!!!!!

lol true about the SoB and Tau

BUT remember that Eldar would rather do the same instead of letting Necrons wake up anywhere

Of all the light aligned races SoB and Tau would be the ones really not seeing eye to eye

"FOR THE EMPEROR!!" "FOR THE GREATER GOOD!!" lots of fighting at that point lol

But I could see them in Tolerance of the Tau and vice versa after all Tau have had some dealings with humans in the recent past. They think we're silly but hoping that somehow we'll understand the need for The Greater Good, though as adamant as the imperium of man is about the god Emperor it's unlikely.

Yeah I agree with the classes thing, as for the Space Hulk just imagine seeing a functioning Titan.

a titan is small in comperence... a space hulk may be from 2 ships welded together to 200 titan sized ships also i wonder if its possible to encounter deamons in the immaterium and if you loose your ship to the deamons, then it will come out welded with other ships on the other end of the immaterium... i also know a space marine chapter that uses a space hulk:) the soul drinkers altough the soul drinkers are a renegade chapter, they are mutated but they love to kill chaos and help humans:)

also back to merchant... we can have rogue dealers:D they deal with chaos, tau, imperial guard, normal humans, PDF, Eldar, Dark eldar and many more.

Also the next point. It should be possible for a player to change the universe through his actions, i mean like instead of having everyone get the quest for killing 3 sea deamons from the space wolves home planet. Then they should have different quests all the time, seriously! think how many times people have genocided the wolves on wow! but somehow they never dissapear completely (thats called respawning) i dont really mind if they respawn at warhammer its just the genocide quests that i dissaprove. what i mean with that player changes the universe is like if he/she kills a chaos NPC it might actually make a difference later That kinda NPC's should not just respawn out of nothing and  that if you kill a camp of soldiers the camp will be abondoned unless you take it or they take it back.

well a person somewhere wrote this, and i kinda agree with him

THQ have announced that they're working on a Warhammer 40K MMO...something. Be nice to know exactly what it is, but then the lure of the licence is going to be enough for most.

We are very excited to be working with Games Workshop on the first-ever MMO game based on the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

So we have absolutely no idea what kind of game this is going to be, only that it's going to be massive and multiplayer. FPS? FPS/RTS? RTS? Miniature painting sim? Who knows. So long as it involves slaughter on a galactic scale, and the option to paint your chosen character, I'm in.

my money is on a hybrid like Tabula Rasa w/Warhammer mixed in.

Imagine the grand scale of battles that'd occur in an FPS/RPG Mass PvP environs.

a full platoon of Imperium troops vs Chaos now THAT'D be a battle.

• baltanbaltan Member Posts: 11

I can see the first full retail expansion for this game already, Battlefleet: Gothic

what if they use multiple platoon, that would be? epic battle? a platoon is a party, multiple platoons are like companies. that would be kinda cool

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Please don't be WAR wrapped in a futuristic package... that's all I'm asking at this point.

WAR was a major disappointment, imho. 

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622
    Originally posted by BlackWatch

Please don't be WAR wrapped in a futuristic package... that's all I'm asking at this point.
    WAR was a major disappointment, imho. 

well for one theyr 2 diffrent companys nothing in comment and comparing war 40k to normal war is like comparing wow to some sci fi mmo

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

Point taken about the games being made by 2 diff companies. 

My request, however, was that they don't simply wrap WAR in new skin and re-destribute it as a 'sci-fi' game.  I would think the fact being that it's THQ doing it this time would help prevent this, but I'll hide and watch.

I seriously doubt it would be as WAR and War40k are two COMPLETELY different monsters

Besides the other fact that WAR was pushed out by EA's houses and War40k is being developed by the proprietor of the RTS titles DoW and DoW II (which II is the single most glorious RTS War40k Title I've seen and I just have the demo)

I'm rather certain THQ & Relic will masterfully make the War40k MMO

Just imagine SM being Drop pod'd to a planet surface heh

• RaizeenRaizeen Member Posts: 622
    Originally posted by BlackWatch

Point taken about the games being made by 2 diff companies. 
    My request, however, was that they don't simply wrap WAR in new skin and re-destribute it as a 'sci-fi' game.  I would think the fact being that it's THQ doing it this time would help prevent this, but I'll hide and watch.

lol you should actualy play the games before yapping your mouth off and theyv both been out for some time damn i hate it when nubs dont even play the games before the mmos

everyone wants a good game so cross the fingers and most of all keep the hope up, but dont expect miracles... i have seen too many games i have been excited about turn out to be real failures, but still its worth a hope:) and i give it the hope that this time they will make a cool mmo game for once (btw i dont have the same taste as everybody, a lvl system is enough for me to almost reject the game because it destroys the realism to it. a skill system on the other hand is a whole other thing because then you dont have to lvl to lvl 60-70-80 before you can take creatures that can barely move and mutch less fight.) but else there is gotta be a map thats a bit huge... and the graphics gotta be better then runescape:) then i am glad:P

also before you (if you are to) tell me about games i should play, forget it i have probably played them all and more...

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

Booo THQ.... I hate THQ for no other reason than they make bad wrestling games though :P

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/