Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside.

MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

----------
"Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Comments

• Gammit100Gammit100 Member UncommonPosts: 439

MMO games played or tested: EQ, DAoC, Archlord, Auto Assault, CoH, CoV, EQ2, EVE, Guild Wars, Hellgate: London, Linneage II, LOTRO, MxO, Planetside, SWG, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WWIIOL, WOW, Age of Conan

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Wow... That actually looks like a lot of fun. I think SOE should stick to making games, and then sell them to someone else at release. They seem to make good games, and then systematically dismantle them.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Planetside was freaking amazing

I made alot of memories in that game, I think its safe to say it's been one of the best mmo's in history thus far.

If only they made a Planetside 2..

edit: In fact i'll go as far to say that as far as PvP goes, this game was the best.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

its still a lot of fun.  You guys do know its still around right?  And no, you wont be behind the curve going against people who have been playing for a long time.  I still go back and resub to this game occassionally. 

but trust me, it is much like a fps and it is fairly easy to get burned out on.  But its still a hell of a lot of fun.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

I loved playing PS when it first launched. I would love to see it updated, I went back recently to take a look and it is a shell  of what it once was. Small skirmishes, totally one sided fights and no coordiantion anywhere make for bad gameplay now in my opinion.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• ScribbleScribble Member Posts: 13

Thats what I found when I re-subbed a few months ago too Baron. I thought there'd still be the massive fights over bases, loaded tower skirmishes, full squads attacking from ground and air simultaneously. It is a game that really needs a decent player base to succeed. Would be well up for a sequel though.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

I loved PS, sadly the last time I called in on the EU servers it was pretty dead.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

The problem with Planetside is SOE made three major changes to the game and they all sucked, Core Combat expansion SOE gave 3 months of development for and no tetsing, BFRs which everyone quit over and never came back and the bending which gave us a shitty looking map and the new pointless Oshur thats capped before anyone can defend. There hasn't been anything since but some weapons and vehicles which have the worst art design ever! So everyone has been slowly quiting cause they're bored of playing the flawed game where theres no indoor content but the caverns which are so far outta the way it's too much effort for people to go down.

We wanted unique base designs and cities on the current game, we were asking for it in beta and we never got that. People got tired of fighting in the same bases all the time and people wanted more indoor content. The Caverns they added were horrible to access and they added more space ontop of a world that was already too big for the declining population.

Now Planetside is a dated FPS that offers the same size battles a Battlefield 2 does and people don't want to sub to that. I say make it a free browser based game support by ads.

I tried to get 4 of my mates into Planetside but funny enough they all use Vista now and I'm the only one using XP so it worked for me and didn't work for them. I then got a Vista Laptop to test it for myself and we followed the instructions on the forums but it still didn't work for some of us and they were like "I can't be bothered to get this game to work it ain't worth it" so they uninstalled. I asked for SOE's help to fix it because it's losing them trade and they didn't care and didn't reply.

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

Planetside was ok, played both beta and then later trials, only concern is that its very repetative and for a fps based game it sucked, was an ok mmo. But the FPS part sucked, the weapons didnt just feel right.

But as an mmo it was ok.. for a short while. With that said I would never want to play it again :)

• Gammit100Gammit100 Member UncommonPosts: 439

The game engine wasn't programmed well for updates.  Instead of using hooks, the main code has to be screwed with.

Rumor has it that a MMO studio is going to try to replicate PS; it may be a Warhammer 40,000 MMOFPS.

MMO games played or tested: EQ, DAoC, Archlord, Auto Assault, CoH, CoV, EQ2, EVE, Guild Wars, Hellgate: London, Linneage II, LOTRO, MxO, Planetside, SWG, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WWIIOL, WOW, Age of Conan

• goneglockingoneglockin Member UncommonPosts: 706

I could write a book on all the various aspects of PlanetSide.  The game was way ahead of it's time and, if thoroughly analyzed, gave tremendous insight and inspiration with regard to future designs on MMOFPS concepts.  A design doc isn't worth the paper it's printed on, but I'm very tempted to put in the time on one some day based on everything I've learned from 3 years of playing that game, loving it, hating it and learning from it all at the same time.

Hope you got your things together. Hope you are quite prepared to die. Looks like we're in for nasty weather. ... There's a bad moon on the rise.

• trozyxxxtrozyxxx Member UncommonPosts: 249

Planetside, as pointed out by the op, was before its time.

I played at launch, I loved it and hated it at the same time. A dev posted that "no computer yet made can run PS at max graphics" this caused an uproar with people who refused to understand that the game had to be made with the future in mind, games trade off fps for eye candy, its still the same today.

but at the time I was 56k or in fact i think I was upgraded to isdn 64k I cant remember my computer but it was utter crap, low ram, very average for the time and totaly unable to run 200 people shooting at the same time. Its sad really just a few years later broadband was reachable computers moved forward but by then most of us had moved away to other games.

Its a shame because I have nice memories of the big battles in PS, just being there was amazing but iv never seen lag like that in any game since.

Jackhammer owns u

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by Gammit100

The game engine wasn't programmed well for updates.  Instead of using hooks, the main code has to be screwed with.
    Rumor has it that a MMO studio is going to try to replicate PS; it may be a Warhammer 40,000 MMOFPS.

Lets hope they dont forget what made planetside great.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me