Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tough interview with Craig

2»

Comments

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Plus it was highly odd the reviewer never played the game. That is kinda typical at the moment from gaming websites critiquing AoC from bloggers / interviewers whom never even played. Second hand information is dangerous.

This is my number one issue with any discussion of the game. I pointed this out in another post here as well. Someone commented on the game, having never played themselves and criticizing something they have no first hand knowledge of.

The interview is lop sided in that respect. But, I posted it as I could tell the interviewer was trying to be tough. No matter how much WoW is mentioned, Craig pulled through and answered the way I see it also.

I play this game every day and feel bad for those who do not see how much fun the game is due to word of mouth. Especially from those who have not played in months.

Glad Craig took the time though to answer these questions. He can take it on the chin and comes out a winner.

I like that!

• _Shadowmage_Shadowmage Member Posts: 1,459

Fine that you need to play a game to review it - but why would you need to play a game to be able to ask questions about it?

While I haven't played AoC myself, I was certainly very curious as to how something as well received as Age of Conan could tank itself so fast. Not only that, but does the game still have the same problems that dissuaded it's early players?

So I think the interview was fine. He wanted to know what went wrong, and has it been fixed.

• CarmelCaliCarmelCali Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Guillermo197

Because litterly everyone could run the game! Even people with a cheap PC from their local supermarket or their average bussiness laptop from work.
    Sure they have a low GFX option. But the game starts to look so bad and unappealing. It's not even funny. And still then it ran bad with low framerates.

You are right.  Above all other reasons, you nailed the core problem.

• xbellx777xbellx777 Member Posts: 716

i just read the interview and i think that craig handled it well. there were some pretty tough questions for him to answer but i think he did a good job, especially with him coming over from another game and not being there at launch. craig is probably the best thing that has happened to age of conan lol

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by openedge1 Check it out!!!
    I had never heard of this site before (maybe someone else has?), but a gaming site called ZAM did an interview called "The Rise and Fall of AoC" with Craig Morrison.

Good find!  Though I gotta say the interviewer was a bit WoW obsessed.  And yeah... the title doesn't at all fit the interview.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Originally posted by steven1966

I only learned about this site because I found a link from the main forums.  One of the first things I read was a guy named Orion and Avery saying to some 'troll' that he hadn't played the game in months, therefore, he shouldn't be talking about the game.   

Got  a link? or more make believe. You played for 1 month over the holiday period correct? and In that time you beleive you experienced everything, yet would like to tell everyone about endgame? It doesn't work like that mate. I highly doubt you experienced all content in all key area's maybe if you had it would give a different perspective.

The questions themselves are floored as from a WoW viewpoint, everything does not need to be compared to WoW. Plus it was highly odd the reviewer never played the game. That is kinda typical at the moment from gaming websites critiquing AoC from bloggers / interviewers whom never even played. Second hand information is dangerous.

Assuming he's telling the truth...

If you can't keep a player interested enough to get to "the good content", then that doesn't say much for the game.  Do you have to drink the whole carton of milk before you come to the conclusion that it's spoiled?

That said, I'm in my 2nd month and I'm still enjoying the game.  But if I found it dull, I certainly wouldn't keep playing in hopes that it gets better, later.

I agree on the WoW stuff.  Seems to me the interviewer wanted to bury AoC for good, especially given the title of the interview.  Craig handled the interview very well.

I get a bit tired of everybody comparing an MMO's success to WoW.  WoW is quite clearly an exception to the rule.  Most AAA titles should be budgeting and aiming for 300k subs.

• risenbonesrisenbones Member Posts: 194

Ok I havn't played AOC or WAR so just a sec.

*dons flame retardant suit and picks up fire extinguisher.

So why exactly does WAR and AOC have their respective problems with subscription retension and all that business.  It boils down to one word HYPE.

My observation of the MMO world over the last few years I have come to the concusion that any game that becomes billed as the new WOW or WOW killer is going to have a subscription retention problems and quite possibly see many leave vowing never to return again.

Reason being BETA testing just won't get you the same feedback as a launch population.  Beta basicly catches the most glaringly obvious problems with the game.  The first 12 or so months after launch is where you find all those little loose ends that when added together make playing a just released game feel like your paying to play a Beta.  So when you hype your games to the level that WAR and AOC were you get a huge amount of people initially who are going to play your game and leave disappointed because of al those niggles and missing peices to the puzzle and generally vent to your potential customer base in forums like this.  Making getting your game to grow again a pretty steep cliff face as you have to get through all that negativity to get people to try your product and see whats changed about it.  Sure you are going to have those who look through the niggle and such and give feedback and help improve the game to the point where it could actually compete with WOW but by that time you have dissapointed to many people who won't give you a second chance for it to make that much of a dent.

In the end it won't matter a great deal what improvements you make to the game the hype you generated to get the initial sales will of been replaced with what I thought that game died 3 months after launch they are probably blowing hot air again trying to sucker some noobs.  All this means that while compared to the MMO scene before WOW you will be a raging success you will probably never hold a candle to the jugganaut that is WOW.  Though I hope at least one of these 2 games proves me wrong for the sake of those who have remained loyal.

The lesser of two evils is still evil.

There is nothing more dangerous than a true believer.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

The first 20 levels were a good single player game, after you left Tortage it just turned into an utter wank MMO. That interview is just some guy spinning and pleading that AoC is utter wank due to not being able to see 6 months into the future. That entire interview translated from spin to honesty amounted to,

Question: Why did AoC launch in such a shitty state?

Answer: Don't know I wasn't employed at Funcom!

Question: What are you doing to stop players exploiting glitches that've been in AoC since launch?

Answer: We have exploiting? Erm yeah well it's a cat and mouse game really. (sounds like more fun than playing AoC!)

Question: Funcom fired a load of staff in the U.S and the CEO sold off a load of shares, explanation?

Answer: Everything people say on the internet is paranoid and exaggerated bullshit, erm except what Funcom says!

Question: Everyone says your game is utter wank, and the beta testers told you it was unready and utter, utter wank. Explain?

Answer: Funcom can't see into the future and we were so ****ing dumb and blinded by greed, we couldn't see that AoC was a piece of instanced wank. Oh and did I mention I wasn't hired until after the shambolic launch so it's not my fault!

Question: Why am I even doing this interview and why have you bothered to turn up?

Answer: Everyone is leaving AoC and we have had to merge servers because even after 9 months we don't have half the features in we promised at launch. Also it's my job to shine a light up your arse and pretend I'm an upfront honest guy that gives a shit about people after they've spent money on our product.

I'm trying to convince you guys that we don't just care about new customers and bullshiting new people in and then drop them after purchase like everyother MMORPG company! No, Funcom are different and if you believe what I'm saying you're either playing AoC now or can't play because one of your new teeth is coming through and it's too painfull to sub to an MMORPG right now.

Sorry I just got a bit carried away there, but I think you get the idea. AoC is utter, utter, utter wank and he's not denying it but trying to convice you that after nine months of wank they give a shit. But that's what he gets paid to do, and I might believe it if I hadn't already played it!

Agricola "burnt by Funcom and bitter" Augusta

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• wilqwilq Member UncommonPosts: 144

I was one of the players who w8 for aoc as big fan of r.e howard work. I must say i was pretty much dissapointed, this game was number 1 on my hit list last year, but shoddy launch forced me to quit after free month. Now i hear some good stuff about the game and im thinking about resubbing for month to try it again.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774
    Originally posted by Agricola1

Sorry I just got a bit carried away there, but I think you get the idea. AoC is utter, utter, utter wank and he's not denying it but trying to convice you that after nine months of wank they give a shit. But that's what he gets paid to do, and I might believe it if I hadn't already played it!

You are nine months out of date my friend. Do you know how much can happen in 9 months?

You would have thought that someone with over 2000 posts on MMORPG.com would actual know something about MMOs, but they say empty vessels make the most noise rofl!

Originally posted by VultureSkull

You are nine months out of date my friend. Do you know how much can happen in 9 months?

You would have thought that someone with over 2000 posts on MMORPG.com would actual know something about MMOs, but they say empty vessels make the most noise rofl!

Then please enlighten me, point out the incorrect assumptions made by this poor wretched fool and fill his empty vessel until the cup overfloweth.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649

There are 9 months since AOC launched and it has imroved.  But...

There are also 9 months for other MMO games.  They have also improved.  Even thrown out new expansions and added new free content updates since then. 

Lets put it this way.   Game A is launched 20% ready - the next few months are used to fix up the issues and make it a 80.  Another game is launched as 50.  He is imrpoved the same amount and is then 110.  

If AOC wasn't improving the it would be dead.  But the fact is that all the competitors are also improving.  Some alot faster and offering alot more while AOC is fixing the launch issues.  This leads to yet another fact that some fanboys dont realise yet but here it comes.

AOC has not been improving things to keep ppl intrested in playing the game longterm compared to the competitors.   Thats because all the manpower is to stop the rot and bleeding. 

It will maybe sink in one day that a game that isn't ready at launch needs 2-3 times the amount of time to progress after it goes live.  Look at Vanguard - fix fix fix fix. Not even free trial for 2 years... sounds familiar ? 

• abalabal Member UncommonPosts: 169
    Originally posted by Frobner

AOC has not been improving things to keep ppl intrested in playing the game longterm compared to the competitors.   Thats because all the manpower is to stop the rot and bleeding. 

This is not true.

They have a team working on the expansion for quite some time now.

They have a team working on solving issues

They have  a team working on content patches and new features

Originally posted by Frobner

There are 9 months since AOC launched and it has imroved.  But...
    There are also 9 months for other MMO games.  They have also improved.  Even thrown out new expansions and added new free content updates since then. 
    Lets put it this way.   Game A is launched 20% ready - the next few months are used to fix up the issues and make it a 80.  Another game is launched as 50.  He is imrpoved the same amount and is then 110.  
    If AOC wasn't improving the it would be dead.  But the fact is that all the competitors are also improving.  Some alot faster and offering alot more while AOC is fixing the launch issues.  This leads to yet another fact that some fanboys dont realise yet but here it comes.
    It will maybe sink in one day that a game that isn't ready at launch needs 2-3 times the amount of time to progress after it goes live.  Look at Vanguard - fix fix fix fix. Not even free trial for 2 years... sounds familiar ? 

No not really.

Games are released in varying forms of completeness,and each has to address their own issues, VG launched in a much worse state than AoC and was in fact actually unplayable for 1000s,  WAR in a better state.  However since they don't all release on the same day it is useless comparing how long they take to get to "ready".

And what exactly is "ready" , would you say WoW is "ready" as they still patch that.

You also have to look at how big the dev team is that is working on the MMO after it goes live, in VG the dev team is rather small and hence the time required to sort out the bugs is much longer.

If you have a dev team that 2-3 times bigger than the another then this offsets the 2-3 times longer it takes to get the game ready cause it was release in an more unfinished state!

Anyway AoC is now, only after nine months, comparable to many other MMOs out there if not better. And we know that the free trail is coming soon and an expansion to boot.

Its has the best graphics and animation then any other MMO as well a pvp system that only Eve can compete against. So all in all it is a success stroy despite its poor release.

• NaranarNaranar Member Posts: 97

No not really.
    Games are released in varying forms of completeness,and each has to address their own issues, VG launched in a much worse state than AoC and was in fact actually unplayable for 1000s,  WAR in a better state.  However since they don't all release on the same day it is useless comparing how long they take to get to "ready".
    And what exactly is "ready" , would you say WoW is "ready" as they still patch that.
    You also have to look at how big the dev team is that is working on the MMO after it goes live, in VG the dev team is rather small and hence the time required to sort out the bugs is much longer.
    If you have a dev team that 2-3 times bigger than the another then this offsets the 2-3 times longer it takes to get the game ready cause it was release in an more unfinished state!

Anyway AoC is now, only after nine months, comparable to many other MMOs out there if not better. And we know that the free trail is coming soon and an expansion to boot.
    Its has the best graphics and animation then any other MMO as well a pvp system that only Eve can compete against. So all in all it is a success stroy despite its poor release.

Um I'm afraid we  are playing diffrent game... what is so great about killing peoples until maximum rank especially with Tempest of Set in your back?

Tbh i like WoW pvp system way more than this!

The pvp system i refer to is that of owning and defending a battle keep by the way of sieges.

All other Fantasy games, save lineage 2,(dont really know how their pvp works but i do know the ownership of castles are involved)  have open world pvp, battle grounds(secenarios etc) and RvR. None of which involves player(guild) owned structures.

The pvp system i refer to is that of owning and defending a battle keep by the way of sieges.
    All other Fantasy games, save lineage 2,(dont really know how their pvp works but i do know the ownership of castles are involved)  have open world pvp, battle grounds(secenarios etc) and RvR. None of which involves player(guild) owned structures.

Shadowbane, Roma Victor,Lineage 1 and 2, Darkfall (allegedly), just off the top of my head.

CS Lewis

Shadowbane, Roma Victor,Lineage 1 and 2, Darkfall (allegedly), just off the top of my head.

Thank you, so the main modern MMOs, WAR, WOW, EQ2, VG, LOTROL, D&D, COX do not have it.

Thank you, so the main modern MMOs, WAR, WOW, EQ2, VG, LOTROL, D&D, COX do not have it.

If you discount Darkfall, EVE, L1&2 and DAoC then yeah only AoC has instanced sieges with low player caps that are still bugged after 9 months. Then I guess you're right!

CS Lewis