Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The reasons why I won't be trying Potbs again in the foreseeable future.

DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553

Pirates of the Burning sea has often been praised for its original ship combat or massive potential & deservedly so.

There have been those that want to play it again but need proof that things are moving along & to see promises fulfilled.

Since release in Jan 2008 there has mainly been a series of re-vamps to existing systems but no major content updates with the exception of some daily missions & the like. Despite The CEO's Rusty's comment that FLS remain fully committed to Potbs additional in game content has been extremely slow in arriving; in the meantime FLS have engaged in a new project of setting up their Casual Division which has at the very least diverted attention from Potbs. The lead designer Isildur has not been well last year & now rarely makes any comments.

As a result the promised land or potential of Potbs has so far failed to be realized & players are tired of delayed or broken promises.

Let's take a look of some of the public forum comments FLS have made last year!

Q) Any plans to increase advertising?

A) This is what Aether (& now Rhaegar) now spends most of their day on, yes

Q) Any plans for an expansion?

A)  Yes, in discussion the details are still TBA

Q) Will treasure be introduced?

A) It's on the list.

Q) Any plans for PvP port av-com?

A) I wouldn't be surprised if this is something we did. It's not actually "on the list" but the list for "how we improve RvR" is very incomplete.

Q) Can we have diplomacy as a free skill?

A) Maybe. In discussion

Q) Ever going to add buy orders?

A) Maybe. It's a feature we favor.

Q) When are you adjusting the Lineship Bundle mechanism to be more interesting and useful to our players?

A) Expect info to go public in a month or two...

Q) When will port governors or the vital missing eco sinks be arriving?

A) The first step will be the ability for players to make av-com weapons no ETA on the rest.

Q) Will ganking be reduced?

A) Yes, Whilst we may never eliminate it longer term we’re going to make ganking go away.

To be fair there have been some improvements compliments mainly due to devs Snap & Lum but I could dig out a lot of other FLS unfulfilled comments so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that progress has been dreadfully slow. As it only now takes about 2 weeks to reach level 50 players tend to lose patience & leave.

I sincerely hope that FLS will eventually get the above more in-depth content implemented & can hold on to some very limited populations in the meantime. 

Personal opinion: Great game, lots of potential but still lacks the promised content mmorpg players expect in a modern full priced subscription Age of Sail mmorpg. May be back but not for some time, will follow the future devlogs with interest.

Oh & FLS should forget about making an Aussie server as local advertisements alone will not be the only solution needed. The Defiant server needs to go english/asian pacific imo & their constant PvP forum whiners encouraged to move on so giving other players a voice. Even better re-launch it as a role playing international 24/7 server to replace bonny!

All advertisements need to be aimed only at the global market to help all server populations.

Comments

• DubonEngevenDubonEngeven Member Posts: 96

Well the fact they are improving exsisting game content before producing new content is a good thing is it not? Whats the point of adding new content if the current content is flawed? It would be like trying to put out an oil fire with water. It would just cause more issues. To me this seems like it would be The reaons why I will be trying POTBS again in the forseeable future.

• DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553
    Originally posted by DubonEngeven

Well the fact they are improving exsisting game content before producing new content is a good thing is it not? Whats the point of adding new content if the current content is flawed? It would be like trying to put out an oil fire with water. It would just cause more issues. To me this seems like it would be The reaons why I will be trying POTBS again in the forseeable future.

I'm glad that you see it like that as I have always been a longterm supporter of FLS, of course others will argue that FLS should of foreseen the issues & listened to what many of their closed beta testers were saying.

Without going into more detail it would be great if FLS eventually concentrate not only on the above improvements but also on providing the support & in-game tools needed to form a mutually more cohesive lasting player community - I wish them well :)

• DubonEngevenDubonEngeven Member Posts: 96

True, but I would argue that most of the games issues were with avatar combat and players were the ones who pushed for it to be out before release though. To my recollection they had planned on releasing with out the avatar origionally and they had to rush it so satisfy the beta testers. But yeah I agree a bit with most of what you said especially about a cohesive community.

One thing I have noted is that in the last couple months POTBs rating on MMORPG.com has increased by .2. True its a small amount but takes a decent amount of people to even make a splash in a games rating. (unless its the same person making accounts over and over to bring up the numbers)