Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Avoid this game.

Comments

• caelachcaelach Member UncommonPosts: 113
    Originally posted by dragulea

Originally posted by caelachThere are plenty of people who disagree with you on the ROM forums. I won't get into a "no it ain't", "yes it is" with you about it and will just say if people want to try it let them have a go, but they will be disappointed as polls show 2 out of 3 are who are there now. Not to mention a barrage of negative posts on the forums. If anybody doubts this, just check out the ROM forums. And it is even more negative in Europe from what I read. Just read the other posts in this forum. You are one of the very few defending this fiasco. Do you work for them?

1. I don't know what the situation is on the US forums, but on the European ones things are far from what you're saying; after the initial shock ppl are trying to find ways to make the classes work and fine tune the class balancing system. The good thing about RoM is that it had a tight & helping community since the beginning so ppl understand it's better to find a solution that bitching all day long about it. Again, you're wrong not everyone is complaining, only the S and R are complaining all the time since they were hit the most by the patch.

2. I don't care if you agree or disagree with me; I've played a class that was underpowered far too long while others were able to 1 hit everything. Now those OPed classes got their dmg lowered (W were affected too, the 2H wepz are almost pointless now) while M's dmg were buffed to an insane ammount. These will be fixed asap. I've played RoM since the very 1st day of CB and I've seen this game turning from a completely chinese game (and I mean 90% of the content was in chinese, including mobs & item names, quests, and so on) to one of the most enjoyable F2P currently running. I don't play P2P games so I won't go into that P2P vs F2P debate, but IMO RoM is one of the best free MMOs currently available. Like I've said I've seen a lot of changes made to the class system (all classes were working completely different from now at first) and that's why I'm sure more things will be changed in the future too. I don't like to quote myself , but I've said this before: balancing the RoM classes is not as easy as in other MMOs, because players are playing a combo of 2 merged classes instead of 1 and the way those combos work together differs from one secondary to another, even with the same primary class.

And FYI, I still see Scouts of equal lvl hitting 700 - 800k (and even 1k) per hit, while I (as a 2H warrior) am able to hit only for 4 - 500 per hit. And they were not OPed....right :)

And NO, I'm not working for Frogster, nor for Runewalker, silly :) The game has currently a hype lvl of 8.28 - do you think they would even bother to pay ppl to come in here and...do what? LOL!

I agree this game started out looking promising. And I will agree it is good again and post that here if they institute proper changes to make it viable again. As it stands they have ruined 2 of the 6 classes by your own admission. And if not by your own admission certainly by the preponderance of posts on the US forums.

Yet, you admit they have screwed the 2-H attack of W so it now is similar to a 1-H weapon! This is just plain poor dev work. But you have faith that the same people who have perpetrated this fiasco will fix it all in a matter of days? Why, the same people just screwed the game up?

As it stands I cannot in all honesty recommend this game to others. It has been retarded to a grind-fest by the actions of the devs. If that significantly changes, I will relent in my view that it is undesirable.

As far as the game rating here being high, it is some 500 votes. ROM has many more players around the 20-30 level rather than high level which we both know can be reached in a couple of days playing. I would expect if the game is not fixed many of those folks might well be here panning the effort. It's not even been released officially quite yet.

• draguleadragulea Member Posts: 249

Like I said, I've experienced several class changes during CB to OB (and some more during OB); that's why I'm sure the current situation is only temporary. Every single time something big like this happened and players complained about it, Frogster listened to them and made additional changes and fine tunings. The thing the keeps bugging me these days though is whether the latest class balancing & combat system patch was put together while also considering the 2 additional classes that would be added in the future, or not. Some ppl that seem to know a lot more about game coding than myself (tbh I know nothing about this type of stuff) say there are currently some code lines embedded in the game code with the names of the new classes, and if it's true, then it's a matter of when, not if those 2 would be added or not.

About the 2H weps: the main difference between the old system and the new one is that now the dmg is highly depending on DPS (damage per second) as opposed to just pure weapon dmg power like before, and because of that the difference between the 2H and 1H became so insignificant, since 1H weps have way faster attack speed. However, for the warriors the benfits were more consistant that this setback, because they gained a faster rage regen rate and 2 spammable AOEs. TO me seems logical that you can't have everything so gaining these benefits while losing some weapon power is ok for the moment, my toon is still playable.

The 2nd main difference between the old and the new combat system is that now stamina adds defence to a different ammount, according to your class, instead of just a fix number (before 1 stamina = 2 defence). So warriors gain now 2.3 points of def per stamina point, while the Knights get 3 points per stamina. All the other classes however get only 1.5 / 1.8 per stamina point, and it can be felt like a serious decrease in defence.
    This, combined with the decreased attack power made some classes to feel nerfed, but like I've said, those classes were supposed to be support classes in the 1st place (and I'm talking about S and R in particular).
    Yes, RoM allows you to add a twist to the generic MMO job/class/proffession, but in the end they still should maintain the same role as in any other MMO: tanks (Knights), the nukers (Mages), constant DD/DPS dealers (Warriors) and the supporting classes (Scouts, Rogues and Priests). That's why S and R were OPed: these 2 classes were able to produce higher continuous dmg than the warriors.

And Scout or Rogue should be able to do more damage than a Warrior. The W has more defense from chain armor. Why be a S or R if you do less damage than a Warrior AND have less defense?

And the notion that S and R are "support" characters is absurd. What "support" are they providing? Nobody is going to bother playing those classes as support characters and no group is going to want them. They have destroyed these classes.

A Scout should be a high damage dealer at range to one target. A Rogue shoud be a high damage dealer to one target with melee. A Mage should  be a high AOE damage dealer. A Knight should be the tank. A Warrior should be a cross between a Knight and a Rogue having better defense than the Rogue and better damage than the Knight.

These characteristics of the classes are agreed to by the great majority of the testers on the ROM forums, but you and the devs seem to think there is some other formula.

Have you even played a Rogue or Scout to a decent level? What class is your most played toon?

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

The main things this game has had going for it in order to compete in the mainstream market was it's promise to have a robust PVE system as well as PvP, quick leveling, etc. If they change that they'll very quickly fall into the cliche'd grindfest F2P game niche. That would suck. The F2P/Item Mall market in this genre needs games that can equal a subscription based game, or even surpass it to survive in the long term.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Changes to a game in beta!  My god, call um... uh... hmmm.

Personally I love the game and the further I get into it the more I appreciate the level of depth and polish.  RoM could easily be P2P.  A true manual would be nice since somethings aren't well explained but overall I love where this game is.

Enough forum time, back to game :p

• Darkheart00Darkheart00 Member Posts: 521

To be honest i found myself do more damage with my rogue secondary than with warr primary in FA atleast on trash mobs since by the time you get rage most mobs are killed off. And also had tough time comboing soft spot and thunder due to combat lag found it easiar to spam shadowstab.

Originally posted by caelach
    And Scout or Rogue should be able to do more damage than a Warrior. The W has more defense from chain armor. Why be a S or R if you do less damage than a Warrior AND have less defense?

Hahaha! Really! If you need more def then take Knight as secondary or even Priest for the heals - you are playing a class combo, not just 1 class. There are ways to tweak such primaries. Why take S as primary? How about being able to kill from a distance, while the W has to stand face to face with its targets? Why R? For superior DPS, that's why. And in the end, I doubt the repair bill of your gear is higher than the ones of K ond W...

I don't like Scout as a primary class; it's not my style. But I've played Rogue as primary in various combos (including R/S - which used to be one of the deadliest and seriously OPed combos you could find in game). I would have continued to play it but in the end all that backstabbing is not my style either and the only combo that worked for me - the R/W - unfortunately needs a lot of investment in the best defence gear you can find. So I created instead my current char, a W/P, that can solo pretty much everything except bosses and refuses to die easily. The dmg is good and the P skill arsenal compensate for not having additional attack skills (Instant Heal, Regen & Holy Aura are the best support you can have as a head to head fighter; plus you can pull mobs with Rising Tide).

Originally posted by Solude

Changes to a game in beta!  My god, call um... uh... hmmm.
    Personally I love the game and the further I get into it the more I appreciate the level of depth and polish.  RoM could easily be P2P.  A true manual would be nice since somethings aren't well explained but overall I love where this game is.
    Enough forum time, back to game :p

Beta? Yeah, for 3 days, lol. The community is in turmoil 72 hours before they launch and they have not patched a fix to the wacked nerfs they did. We will see what they do by the launch but don't expect it to be fixed.

Originally posted by dragulea

Hahaha! Really! If you need more def then take Knight as secondary or even Priest for the heals - you are playing a class combo, not just 1 class. There are ways to tweak such primaries. Why take S as primary? How about being able to kill from a distance, while the W has to stand face to face with its targets? Why R? For superior DPS, that's why. And in the end, I doubt the repair bill of your gear is higher than the ones of K ond W...

I don't like Scout as a primary class; it's not my style. But I've played Rogue as primary in various combos (including R/S - which used to be one of the deadliest and seriously OPed combos you could find in game). I would have continued to play it but in the end all that backstabbing is not my style either and the only combo that worked for me - the R/W - unfortunately needs a lot of investment in the best defence gear you can find. So I created instead my current char, a W/P, that can solo pretty much everything except bosses and refuses to die easily. The dmg is good and the P skill arsenal compensate for not having additional attack skills (Instant Heal, Regen & Holy Aura are the best support you can have as a head to head fighter; plus you can pull mobs with Rising Tide).

Okay, I see now. Your running a Warrior. Busted!

I have a 38 Warrior, a 41 scout and ran a rogue to 25. The ONLY problem with the Warrior was rage. It needed to be fixed and it was. The Scout or Rogue were no higher powered than the Warrior other than the rage issue which was somewhat frustrating. Defend these clown devs all you want but they messed the game up and you have no problem with it because your main toon didn't get nerfed but got a huge fix on the one thing that was a problem. LOL

It makes ZERO sense to say "you get a second class to give you more defense" since EVERY character has a second class giving them something!

Repair bills? Check out the price for arrows, lol.

The L25 rogue is a R/S and was not OPed at all.

Anybody reading this just go to the ROM forums if you don't believe me and see the numerous posts backing me up. This OPed stuff is just malarkey.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Been playing in the beta since December. The recent massive change to the combat system has destroyed this game. Most classes are now nerfed to the point that it is a super grind. The GMs on the forum actually have the nerve to say it is "to let the player enjoy the content LONGER". That is hilarious. Translation: grind and spend in th CS to try to relieve the grind a bit! This  is really sad, because it looked like a good game. It is also quite underhanded to suck in the beta players with one thing and creat a nice starting player base, then pull the rug out and destroy their characters. These people are the typical sleazy f2p bunch.

Nerfs happens. In every game out there.

Besides it is still more fun than Atlantica or any other F2P game out there (not counting Guildwars as a F2P game, because it is in a different league than ROM).

You get what you pay for, ROM is playable and can be fun for a while. While it doesn't look as good as most P2P games it still looks OK also. P2P games are generally a lot better, even the worse of them are better than the best F2P game in my opinion but some people don't want to pay or like games with item shops. If you like me not are one of them you have to pay.

Still, if I had to pay a F2P game, ROM is the one I would play.

Originally posted by Darkheart00

To be honest i found myself do more damage with my rogue secondary than with warr primary in FA atleast on trash mobs since by the time you get rage most mobs are killed off. And also had tough time comboing soft spot and thunder due to combat lag found it easiar to spam shadowstab.

I agree. Until the change Warrior was really frustrating with rage. It is good now. If they can manage to fix the 2-H/1-H weapon screwup it will be cool.

Originally posted by Loke666

Been playing in the beta since December. The recent massive change to the combat system has destroyed this game. Most classes are now nerfed to the point that it is a super grind. The GMs on the forum actually have the nerve to say it is "to let the player enjoy the content LONGER". That is hilarious. Translation: grind and spend in th CS to try to relieve the grind a bit! This  is really sad, because it looked like a good game. It is also quite underhanded to suck in the beta players with one thing and creat a nice starting player base, then pull the rug out and destroy their characters. These people are the typical sleazy f2p bunch.

Nerfs happens. In every game out there.

Besides it is still more fun than Atlantica or any other F2P game out there (not counting Guildwars as a F2P game, because it is in a different league than ROM).

You get what you pay for, ROM is playable and can be fun for a while. While it doesn't look as good as most P2P games it still looks OK also. P2P games are generally a lot better, even the worse of them are better than the best F2P game in my opinion but some people don't want to pay or like games with item shops. If you like me not are one of them you have to pay.

Still, if I had to pay a F2P game, ROM is the one I would play.

I agree. It is the best cash shop grinder out there.

Who knows? Maybe they will fix their colossal screw up on the balance and it will be as good as it was. But it looks like they just nerfed the classes that were right and slightly tweaked the ones that were wrong, thus raising the grind level to make the CS more essential.

[quote]Originally posted by caelach
    [b][quote]Originally posted by dragulea

Okay, I see now. Your running a Warrior. Busted!

I think I've said I'm playing a W (lvl 47) a few posts earlier. My (still) undeleted R is 35.
    W were affected by this so called nerfing too, since their dmg was lowered also. I'm using a 2H axe and I'm currently doing considerably less dmg - I should complain about it, right? Well, no, 'cause now I have the skills to compensate for the lack of power (which is to my belief going to be fixed anyway). Like I said before I've seen S still doing more dmg than myself and my S guildies say it's still a playable class. The most affected from all this were the rogues, anyway.

All the patching is usually done on Thursdays. But IMO they still need to gather more info regarding the class balancing issues before new adjustments to be made.

Well, the awesome release has come and gone, yet the nerfed classes remain nerfed. What a joke. CS GRINDER!!! They actually made scouts worse and raised the focus cost for wind arrow! At least they lowered the absurd high cost of arrows

AVOID THIS GAME, or at least don't spend real money on it. There are many examples on the forums of people spending real cash and having the item nerfed by these CLOWNS!

• menasuremenasure Member Posts: 75

who spends real cash on a game which is in beta? i think those are the real clowns.

you should know you're taking a risk when you spend money on anything virtual and especially on games. if someone pulls the plug then you'll never have something to show for, no matter which game.

the irony: there weren't even pvp servers intended at the start but a group of closed beta testers whined untill they got their servers. now every character faces the consequences of the whining which started months ago and which continues today about 'balance'.

let's face it: many chose their characters because they knew it was OP. that's what they call 'balance' and now they're blaming the developers when they get nerfed. well those developers are mostly listening to contradicting feedback.  if that's the downfall for a game like this then it's a real shame and it says more about the players than the developers.

having said this the game isn't dead yet ... it's being worked on and there are many who can say that.

despite that it's actually still one of the best free to play games available and it even tries to make an effort to let free players keep up with cash players. there are very few games who can say that.

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by menasure

who spends real cash on a game which is in beta? i think those are the real clowns.
    you should know you're taking a risk when you spend money on anything virtual and especially on games. if someone pulls the plug then you'll never have something to show for, no matter which game.
    the irony: there weren't even pvp servers intended at the start but a group of closed beta testers whined untill they got their servers. now every character faces the consequences of the whining which started months ago and which continues today about 'balance'.
    let's face it: many chose their characters because they knew it was OP. that's what they call 'balance' and now they're blaming the developers when they get nerfed. well those developers are mostly listening to contradicting feedback.  if that's the downfall for a game like this then it's a real shame and it says more about the players than the developers.
    having said this the game isn't dead yet ... it's being worked on and there are many who can say that.
    despite that it's actually still one of the best free to play games available and it even tries to make an effort to let free players keep up with cash players. there are very few games who can say that.

So I guess I am a clown then eh?

No, you want to know the irony in all this. Its the fact that the real clowns who dont pay a single dime to play a game that someone spent years making. Sure its a free game but they have to make money or it will close down. You dont get anything when your paying a monthly fee to an mmo and they close either. so what is the difference? I will tell you, not a darn thing.

If people dont support  the developers then the game will die, simple as that. It doesn't matter how great a game is, if it doesn't at least make enough money to break even, it will die.

Actually I believe the devs are new to all this and are learning as they go when it comes to balance. I say give them time, they will get it. Look at what they did for the priest, first they screwed them royally, then they overpowered the crap out of them and people even admitted it. They have now started down the road to getting them right with the wisdom change and they will get it eventually. As I said, they are learning just as much as we are.

We have to remember that rome wasn't built over night and as such, they cant make everything perfect overnight either. Relax, give them some time, they are listening to their players and will get it right eventually. If they dont, they will go under just as so many other mmo's have.

Originally posted by menasure

It's simple enough. This game has one class that isn't a grind. Mage. If that's your idea of balance then enjoy. Expect Mage to be nerfed soon so all can "enjoy the content longer", LOL.

Whether people have spent real cash or not in the beta is moot. The changes they have made days before release now make it a grind. If that changes I'm sure myself or others will post that here. So, for now, avoid this game, unless you want to grind or like to be a mage. There is little contradicting feedback. EVERYBODY with the inkling of a clue knows scout and rogue are lame. The opinion is a large majority say that they messed the game up. I can't believe there is even an argument here about this.

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

Actually I believe the devs are new to all this and are learning as they go when it comes to balance.

I think you are right. These guys are new to this, and it shows. Further I don't think they respond to the player feedback much at all.

But as an example of where their mind is, they have said they want Scout as a support class. They think Scout is good the way it is after the nerf. Nobody is playing this class anymore. Go to the early stages of the game. Mage is now 2 out of 3 of every new character as everyone is rerolling a new Mage, LOL.

Nobody wants to play a lame class that is going to take 2x as long to level with.

• Darkheart00Darkheart00 Member Posts: 521

Actually I believe the devs are new to all this and are learning as they go when it comes to balance.

I think you are right. These guys are new to this, and it shows. Further I don't think they respond to the player feedback much at all.

But as an example of where their mind is, they have said they want Scout as a support class. They think Scout is good the way it is after the nerf. Nobody is playing this class anymore. Go to the early stages of the game. Mage is now 2 out of 3 of every new character as everyone is rerolling a new Mage, LOL.

Npbody wants to play a lame class that is going to take 2x as long to level with.

??? Autoshoot is nice and ability to attack both weapons at the same time. I have seen tons of Scout/rogues these days.

• rwtonyrwtony Member Posts: 14

The scout's new auto-shot skill actually runs on a different timer. So in fact, a scout gets an additional attack every 2 seconds that does not take up your usual skill timer; and the damage increases with the power of your arrows. I think it can be an additional 150 to 200 dps "extra" since it runes on a different timer. And the scout gets to equip a bow/crossbow, thats an extra equipment where you can modify and gain additonal stats that other classes can't.

They were nerfed, but still a good class to play.

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

It's a cash shop game. Of course I am going to avoid it.

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

I enjoy this game very much, and my scout/rouge is the one I have most fun playing.

The only thing that disapoints me is that havent been able to stop the gold spammers. They knew it would happen. They all the months in CB and OB to set up and test a system that could prevent it.

There are no gold spammers in Guild Wars anymore, they found a way to block the ip's. In Star Wars Galaxies trial accounts are only allowed to type 400 letters every 15 min in public chat. Some say that some add-ons can make the spamming go away, but why cant the RoM developers implement code that can do the same ?

I have high hopes of guild wars and arena battle in RoM and I know it can only be a success if the classes are balanced.

Guild Wars and WoW have been balancing for 4 years and not finished. Its a never ending process and so it will also be in RoM.

You better get used to nerfing and buffing on a regular basis.

• menasuremenasure Member Posts: 75

you guys are terrible.

i've never said anything about the scouts and rogues. i'm well aware that they have problems because i play pve and that's based on coöperation instead of competition. guess what? the changes we see are based on pvp and every pve character suffers to some extend because of the pvp imbalances ... which didn't exist for the pure pve.

i do know why  i play pve because i want to avoid anyone who pays money to beat someone. it's a concept which i call gaming: the skills count instead of the real cash. and for some 'bizare' reason there seem to be double as much pve than pvp servers. i wonder why.

having said this i did spend some cash, just enough to enhance my experience but not on gear to make myself 'better' than any other character. i have opportunities enough to engage in pvp but since i play on a pve server it's completely optional and the difference is: i know i've a big chance to lose so why would i care about it? i only care about fun in games, the rest is bs.

True. I think much of the "balance" these devs are seeking has all to do with pvp. These are two totally different worlds.  Other games deal with it by having the pvp system tweaked separately. Maybe the ROM devs will get there one day. I wouldn't count on it though. I think at this point they want to mostly make $$$$ and not provide much in return other than what they have now. I was rather amazed at the lack of content provided for the big splash of release.

And it was rather pathetic of them to give the beta testers next to nothing other than a "hey thanks" at release as well.

Originally posted by Darkheart00

Npbody wants to play a lame class that is going to take 2x as long to level with.

??? Autoshoot is nice and ability to attack both weapons at the same time. I have seen tons of Scout/rogues these days.

I'm talking about the new toons being made. I see few of anything but Mage around Logar or Varanas. People are rerolling. The Mage is probably as plentiful as the other 5 classes combined right now! (I'm talking pve).

Scout especially has become the fodder of jokes in game chat these days.

C'mon, they added a 2nd epic quest for the release patch and the thing is bugged right out of the gate, LOL. These guys are amateurs.

This discussion has been closed.