Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

yea I'm late

xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Alright, I've finnally decided to give this game a try after hearing it was still around (didn't know that) and that it was F2P (didn't know tha until recently either). I have a couple questions

1) The controls are horrid, and the UI is chunky (I expected this since the game was built in the early days). Are there any mods avaible for the game to make the UI easier to use? Is there an online guide to how to use the UI (what buttons do what)?

2) The game's character progression is pretty deep from what I've read. How hard is it for a new player to get started and into the game? Should I try to find a guild now or get a friend to play in order to get started?

3) I don't normally RP, but the RP rule set for this game seems pretty functional. Does the RP server have a decent population?

4) Are there any updated guides to creating a "cookie cutter" player, or easily read guides that show which races and sexes have access to the various Professions and Talents? Link please

Thanks for any help in advance.

Games:
Currently playing:Nothing
Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
Past games:
Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
Xpiher's GW2
GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
Warhammer - Xpiher

Comments

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

This forum is dead.

I would ask on the official forums If I were you.

All three servers in SB have a good population imo.

The UI is fully moveable and can be resized and set to be transparent.

I actually made mine more like your normal MMO UI, getting rid of that big clunky function bar and just using the action bar with buttons like battle ready and loot. tossed the target bar on the top of the screen and moved the chat in the left bottom corner and resized combat info and made it transparent.  moved the loot window and the resized the bag window. You can move every window by holding shift and left click and dragging. If you hit Esc you can bring up the Windows options and take away certain windows for re-sized more eye p[leasing versions.

Everything runs nice and every day i've played ive been in a group of atleast three players just grinding it out.

You get used to the right click to move and camera controls really quick having to move my cursor to the edge of my screen pissed me off but i inverted the camera so it wasnt so confusing for me. I use a Iso zoomed out view when i play reminds me of Old UO or Diablo.

When I first started playing my brother laughed and asked me if I turned the clock back to 1999, after like two hours with the UI and reselecting my race to the well animated minotar he came back and asked me if i was playing the same game LOL!

Anyway like I said check the official forums if you already knew all the crap I typed just ignore it lol.

GL on ur RP server.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• GrumiumGrumium Member UncommonPosts: 57

I used to play sb and I am actually thinking of comming back.  If you go to you tube and search Making a Shadowbane Layout you will get a good instructional video on one.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    Originally posted by xpiher

Alright, I've finnally decided to give this game a try after hearing it was still around (didn't know that) and that it was F2P (didn't know tha until recently either). I have a couple questions
    1) The controls are horrid, and the UI is chunky (I expected this since the game was built in the early days). Are there any mods avaible for the game to make the UI easier to use? Is there an online guide to how to use the UI (what buttons do what)?
    2) The game's character progression is pretty deep from what I've read. How hard is it for a new player to get started and into the game? Should I try to find a guild now or get a friend to play in order to get started?
    3) I don't normally RP, but the RP rule set for this game seems pretty functional. Does the RP server have a decent population?
    4) Are there any updated guides to creating a "cookie cutter" player, or easily read guides that show which races and sexes have access to the various Professions and Talents? Link please
    Thanks for any help in advance.

1.  The UI is more customizable than any other MMORPG I have come across (without adding add-ons).  Close every single window and start from scratch.  Good example: www.youtube.com/watch

2.  Finding a guild should be top priority, since this is a siege based PVP game.

3. RP server is a lower population server, but there are plenty of fights that go on.

4. I made a quick human guide here: www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/196815/How-to-make-a-great-human-healer-class-newbie-guide.html

Most of the time the class you play will be trial and error.  You can build any class multiple ways and still be good.  Just keep in mind that CON is the most usefull stat, unless you are a rogue or caster.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230
    Originally posted by Z3R01

This forum is dead.
    I would ask on the official forums If I were you.
    All three servers in SB have a good population imo.
    The UI is fully moveable and can be resized and set to be transparent.
    I actually made mine more like your normal MMO UI, getting rid of that big clunky function bar and just using the action bar with buttons like battle ready and loot. tossed the target bar on the top of the screen and moved the chat in the left bottom corner and resized combat info and made it transparent.  moved the loot window and the resized the bag window. You can move every window by holding shift and left click and dragging. If you hit Esc you can bring up the Windows options and take away certain windows for re-sized more eye p[leasing versions.
    Everything runs nice and every day i've played ive been in a group of atleast three players just grinding it out.
    You get used to the right click to move and camera controls really quick having to move my cursor to the edge of my screen pissed me off but i inverted the camera so it wasnt so confusing for me. I use a Iso zoomed out view when i play reminds me of Old UO or Diablo.
    When I first started playing my brother laughed and asked me if I turned the clock back to 1999, after like two hours with the UI and reselecting my race to the well animated minotar he came back and asked me if i was playing the same game LOL!

Anyway like I said check the official forums if you already knew all the crap I typed just ignore it lol.
    GL on ur RP server.

Still seems to be some life, scanner's indcate that this forum is not dead Captain!