Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Racism Rampant in Shadowbane

ZenrenZenren Member UncommonPosts: 68

This is just a warning to those people thinking of playing this game. There are a lot of guilds in this game that are extremely racist. I would cease to call some of them guilds and instead call them hate groups. The use of racially derogatory words is rampant in Ventrillo channel and nation chat. Racially deragotory nicks are also common.

Many of the Guilds seem to be fighting the chinese nations, not because the chinese declared war on them, but because they are chinese. More than once I've heard the phrase "Cleanse the server of all asians" not just chinese.

Now this doesn't mean all the guilds are racist, but I have found that most of them seem to be on the Test server and Malog.

I've actually notified Shadowbane regarding this, but they seem to be taking their time responding. Other than that, it's a good game, just don't complain about the racism or you'll be on everyone's hit list quick.

Peace.... unless you're declaring war.

If you're reading this, you probably need to get some sun.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

There's a very good reason why Asians are separated by almost all MMO development companies (even those based in Asia) from Western Hemisphere players.  Almost to the game when games permit players from everywhere to play the sides split down this East-West line and the animosity is horrific. (and not one sided)

I first observed this 8 years ago when I played US servers of Lineage 1, and the Koreans moved over to play on them.  Since then most games won't create worldwide servers, and when they do, you get what happens in SB.

I wouldn't call it racism as much as I would call it Nationalism, the two are quite different though the hatred looks the same.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ZenrenZenren Member UncommonPosts: 68

So comments like, "Burn those f***Ing N***ers" and "That n***er just killed me" aren't racist? Having contest where people impersonate minorities isn't racist? Oh and what about naming your character "Myni**a? I'm not talking about nationalism, I'm talking about actual, and I'm not mistaken here, racism. Nationalism is "Lets kick those chinese players asses and show them what Americans are all about". racism is where they say "We will cleanse this server, so only white middle class americans will play here." That's the crap I'm talking about. I guess trying to be a little ambiguous doesn't work. Oh and I played beta, mourning, etc. I just came back to find this going on within the last month.

NOTE if you are a minority do not make public mention of it, or you will not find any peace in Sea Dog's Rest.

Oh and I don't care if they "Don't mean nothin' by it", it's still deragotory, whether they're a bunch of pimple faced teens or adults. I stand by my comment, "Racism is rampant on Shadowbane."

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195
    Originallposted by Kyleran

There's a very good reason why Asians are separated by almost all MMO development companies (even those based in Asia) from Western Hemisphere players.  Almost to the game when games permit players from everywhere to play the sides split down this East-West line and the animosity is horrific. (and not one sided)
    I first observed this 8 years ago when I played US servers of Lineage 1, and the Koreans moved over to play on them.  Since then most games won't create worldwide servers, and when they do, you get what happens in SB.
    I wouldn't call it racism as much as I would call it Nationalism, the two are quite different though the hatred looks the same.

Well said....not to say racism in the virtual worlds is non-existent...but the red flags are usually thrown up way too often and early. It is more of a nationalism than pure hate. More like when I was a kid and I played "cowboys and indians" or "cops and robbers"...you went at the other side with determination...but rarely with hateful intent. I'm sure someone will find fault with my "Cowboys and Indians" reference..but get over it...we were kids and it never instilled, in me,  a hatred or prejudice for Native americans (or cowboys for that matter..hell ..I actually liked "Brokeback Mountain"...oops..I've breached yet another stereotype)...and I haven't become a criminal cop-killer from my times as a adolescent "bank robber".

• brian72282brian72282 Member UncommonPosts: 783

The reason why there is racism against Asians (anyone from Asian countries, not asians who live in the US) is purely because they used sneaky and underhanded tactics in the past in the game.  They would throw down a bane stone for times when American players are not typically on (i.e. 3 and 4am EST).

I started playing Shadowbane at launch, played for a year and saw this happen.  Left and came back when it went free to play originally and it still happened.  My guild was on an RP server and was one of the few that was not racist, but whenever we had to stay up late/get up early to defend our cities because people from Asia decided they wanted to mess with us it chapped our hides.  This could easily be fixed by allowing banes only at certain times of day, and for all I know they may do that now.  Have not played in quite a while.

• throckmortonthrockmorton Member Posts: 314

Many of the Guilds seem to be fighting the chinese nations, not because the chinese declared war on them, but because they are chinese.
    Looks like the zerg picked up a new public relations officer. Go tell your masters that their refusal to fight each other makes them weak.

This game should not be about nationalism, which is exactly what the Chinese do. No one would have any problem with the Chinese in Shadowbane if they didn't nutcup each other and turn entire servers into ghost towns.

For example, I have no issues with running around in Shadowbane and killing people who live in the same country as me. Without that, the game would be boring. The fact that the Chinese don't do this, makes them treat other races different from themselves, and proves that they are both racists and stupid nationalits.

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866
    Originally posted by Kyleran

i ve not seen a lot of nationalism in warcraft over the years on the european server . some player did nt  like the italians and russian player because they dont speak english and would take over english speaking servers . still thats changed a lot since the introduction of russian servers . i d hate to think what would happen if you put europeans and the americans together on a server given the animosity there is in all parts of europe now to the usa . i m not saying i agree with that , personally all the americans i ve met are nice people . but it is a fact . as for out and out racism in a game only once have i come across it . it was in a war song gulch in warcraft . some player was mouthing off and then started making comments about the jews . needless to say i reported him to a gm . 

not because i m jewish but the guy was a real pain in the backside . interestingly i made a note of his characters name and server and checked out wheather he was still about a few weeks later and could nt find his character listed . he was lvel 70 at the time (max level then)so weather he d moved server , deleted his character or if blizzard had banned him i dont know. but some of what he was saying was pretty extreme and involved what happend to the jews in the second world war ....... i hope they banned him .

• ZenrenZenren Member UncommonPosts: 68

I think alot of people skipped over one point, the racism isn't just pointed towards asians, but all minorities, african-americans, jews, hispanics, asians, etc... that's what I was saying. They put alot of energy into fighting asians, but they'll attack anything that isn't main stream anglo-saxon english speaking.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Last I heard, UBIsoft was cracking down on stuff like this that happened ingame.  If your vent is like that, you really need to find another guild.  Not all guilds are like that.

As for CN, thats a diffrent story.  Try to fight them when they bring 500 individuals to a single bane.  It gets old fast.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.