Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please Give Reasons Why You Think That This Isnt AoC2.

karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

Please give reasons.

Myself, I cant see one at the moment.

The similarities between the two is just too much.

Comments

• rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408

What? Not alike at all? Have you ever read anything about this game or are you making one of the most boring troll threads I've read yet?

• FreefallingFreefalling Member Posts: 13

lolwut 

Please tell me this is a joke.

• lornjlornj Member Posts: 334

has to be a joke. anyone would half a brain wouldnt post something that dumb.

• blix2006blix2006 Member UncommonPosts: 415

the only thing i see the same with both is that the trolls are just as annoying as they were in aoc

• SydousSydous Member Posts: 14

Graphics and its missing that theme park feel.

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051
    Originally posted by karmath

Please give reasons.

1- AoC has real artists working with them, from landscapes to music AoC has a pretty good artistic work.

2-Funcom even with its issues is a real company.

3-Even with a lot of broken content AoC is growing.

4-There are RPG elements and a consistent Lore Behind AOC.

5-AoC has an innovative combat system, Darkfall has am ultra simplified version of Morrowind´s combat.

Darkfall has nothing similar to any of these points, AOC and DF are totally different.

AoC had a release full of issues, bugs and mistakes, DF is much more simple in every aspect, but the release is even more problematic, in the end there arent real similarities, just a bad release (AoC) and a ridiculous release (DF).

In the end, I wish good luck to both games, AoC and DF...

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931
    Originally posted by 123123456202

you are an idiot on so many levels

Gee thanks has nothing to do with anything. You read a few lines of text and lol let the rest know what kind of a person you are. Show us how smart you are. Show us the levels.... key word levels.. that what I though.

AoC had a hard start yet has picked up. DF can not be used in the same line as AoC, War, WOW, EQ2 blah blah. Just because the made it $14 a month and WOW people are willing to play it . dont mean anything. So far it is the easyest MMO to hack. And that makes it .. NOT PLAYALBE.

• nathanpinardnathanpinard Member Posts: 146

AoC didn't have server problems, but the client and game itself was crap.

Darkfall is the completely opposite. The game is excellent and is NOT simplistic, but the launch was shaky.

However, today the game ran flawlessly the whole day.

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558
    Originally posted by nathanpinard

AoC didn't have server problems, but the client and game itself was crap.

Darkfall is the completely opposite. The game is excellent and is NOT simplistic, but the launch was shaky.

However, today the game ran flawlessly the whole day.

except for the lil hicup durign the day but it was fixed already

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235
    Originally posted by Umbral

Please give reasons.

1- AoC has real artists working with them, from landscapes to music AoC has a pretty good artistic work.

5-AoC has an innovative combat system, Darkfall has am ultra simplified version of Morrowind´s combat.

Darkfall has nothing similar to any of these points, AOC and DF are totally different.

AoC had a release full of issues, bugs and mistakes, DF is much more simple in every aspect, but the release is even more problematic, in the end there arent real similarities, just a bad release (AoC) and a ridiculous release (DF).

Sadly I have to agree with that. (very sadly).

• Darkstar111Darkstar111 Member Posts: 675

Please give reasons.

There are similarities ill give u that.

But AoC tried to do everything, and ended up with mediocre overall gameplay in a nice wrapping.

AoC ended up contradicting itself.

AoC TRIED to go for the manual-target route for melee and spells, but failed.

Some melee abilities and most spell still required targeting to function, so AoC decided to do both.

Darkfall took the same IDEA and made it work, across the board no auto-targeting.

That changes the core gameplay, and the game needs to be crafted after that core.

DFO dares to do this and pulls it off. AoC never went all the way.

And thats the similarity.

As for the rest, AoC had Quests, AoC had levels and leveled areas with a linear progression , Dungeons with a linear difficulty curve, endgame raid dungeons with a liniear difficulty curve, and a zoneing structure that at the end of the day did not serve the game well.

DFO manages to skate free of all of this, and STILL makes it work.

-Darkstar

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Please give reasons.

I agree with Umbral :)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• ItixItix Member Posts: 9

Promised features that arent there and a terrible launch I guess those are some similarities, but at least the AoC devs gave us something pretty to look at as they lied to us.

• Darkstar111Darkstar111 Member Posts: 675
    Originally posted by Itix

Promised features that arent there and a terrible launch I guess those are some similarities, but at least the AoC devs gave us something pretty to look at as they lied to us.

Yes they never gave is that Fog system... OOOH THE GAME IS UNPLAYABLE WITHOUT FOG!!!

-Darkstar

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630

In response to OP:  Because Conan isn't in it.

• mcquaidedmcquaided Member Posts: 157

oh comeon AOC IS WAAAY BETTER it has Bewbs and decapitiation. which is far better than watching a stif char position himself to the ground so you can do the finish him move (kano wins)

but this is what really sepeates them

From the official darkfall forums

LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD WE HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR.

Every single person involved in the production of Darkfall is a gamer first and foremost. We?ve been where you?ve been, and we play the games you play.

We are committed to delivering and maintaining a complete, stable, and balanced game; a game that makes good on its promises, with regular and free expansion-size updates, prompt and swift customer service, and superior value for our players.

Darkfall offers you more ways to give feedback, and more ways to collaborate with the Darkfall Team in the evolution of the game. Your voice is heard loud and clear.

i JUST CANT GET ENOUGH OF THIS ITS SO DAMN HILARIOUS ESPECIALLY HOW AV SHOWED THEIR SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. oH GAWD THIS IS SO DAMN FUNNY

LOOOLLLOOLOLOLOOLOLLLLOLOLOOLOLOOOOOLLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLL

Im going to sell you a dream.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

the world:

AOC: unimersive because it is instanced, geography like mountain ranges are used as strict borderlines, 'dead end' feel to zones.

DFO: vast and open, not instanced, with all geographic features being fully accessible.

This also has a lot of influence on how you experience world pvp. For example:

In AOC you might stumble upon a fight between two groups; you jump in and get killed but after ressing you find yourself in another instance of the same zone. Or someone ganks you, 5 minutes later you return with your friend but the guy that did it switched instances, twarthing your chance on revenge. In DFO there is only one single, seamless world which feels much more real.

• luckturtzluckturtz Member Posts: 422

They are two game with different styles.AoC had a monster launch with at one point 700,000 players and had the second most people playing mmo after wow.Darkfall is having a more moderate launch .Darkfall is trying to be next ultima,AoC is trying to be a mature natured wow clone.Aoc has a complex combat system,Darkfall combat is simply and easy for people to pick up.Darkfall is a open world,Aoc is instanced.Aoc has one race,Darkfall has different race.Darkfall has one style of server,Aoc has pvp,pve,and rppvp.Darkfall has open looting,Aoc has a limted rule driven pvp looting

I don't know why people want to compare them,they are way different games.Here why darkfall is not Aoc 2 because darkfall can't take 23 million hits to their baseline profit and can't to start layoff people.Darkfall can't afford fail,At least with Aoc the company has exp with making a profit even after a bad start and The company has AO money to fall back on.I am sure funcom will find some way to keep Aoc running,I am not sure Aventurine can do the same thing.

I wish darkfall sucess and i hope it is like eve and every year it slowly get bigger.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Big seamless word

Doesn't have a developer with one of the most horrible annoyingly sounding voices ever to hits ones ears when giving presentations of the game.

• imbantimbant Member Posts: 1,291

Please give reasons.

oh my...oh my oh my....where to start?

AoC(funcom) isnt 1/2 the company DF is.  Say what you want about the poor communication and rough launch, AoC lied to the community flat out with what features were in on launch.

DF has all its features minus mahirim 4 legged running, some just need balancing.

DF artists are pretty incredible sans the annimations.  The landscapes are beaten only by AoC, but its pretty close when it comes to landscapes.

To answer the ops question....very different.  AoC had a relatively smooth server stability launch, but basically lied about all its features.  DF didnt lie about anything and just flat out were unprofessional about being ready to handle billing and had sync issues on launch which they solved in a little over a day, and gave the peopel who preordered 3 days free play to compensate.

~~
    Darkfall Releases on: February 25th, 2009

Darkfall Recap of everything that has happened the last 3 months: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/213296

"The monsters are tough. I was looking for a challenge, but these things are just too damn smart." -DF Beta Tester

"If people were dismissing it, then they wouldn't be talking about it. The well-meaning gamers root for efforts that try to raise the bar. So who's left? It's so easy being a skeptic." -Tasos

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Eh Funcom  has been in the MMO business for 8 years now.....Aventurine a week.........Lets see how well they handle other issues along the way before people start saying Aventurine is a better company than Funcom......Theres alot of people that dont even think Aventurine will last a year......Darkfall will last but Aventurine is iffy...

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Please give reasons.

Fact: AOC was still a bug ridden crash fest months after launch, AV still has to match that failure even though they screwed up the first week or so.

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Papadam

Please give reasons.

I agree with Umbral :)

And I forgot a truly important detail.

AoC at launch had issues to accommodate more than 700.000 players.

DF has issues to accommodate less than 7.000 players.