Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Number of servers

marcustmarcust AdelaidePosts: 467Member Uncommon

Quick question from someone that would give their left nut to be playing DF tonight, is there only one server available or more than one?

cheers

Playing: ESO, Submerged
Favourite games have been: UO, Lineage2, WoW, Darkfall, Lotro, GW2

Comments

• dave816amdave816am Atlanta, GAPosts: 18Member

• jordank23jordank23 new york, NYPosts: 95Member
    Originally posted by marcust

Quick question from someone that would give their left nut to be playing DF tonight, is there only one server available or more than one?
    cheers

1, but I'd give my right one if I were you...Medical science states that the left nut is the more productive and active nut.  It's fact...so just get rid of the right one...ok?

Played: Shadowbane, UO, PlanetSide, SWG, EQ 2, City of Heros, AO, AoC, Daoc, WOW, lotro, Eve, GW, Tabula, Pirates of the burning sea (yup), Vanguard, Warhammer, Lineage 2

Out of all those I loved Shadow Bane, SWG (it had its issues but those first few months were great) and AO after about 5 months I was in love) RIP..not since then have I loved a MMO...

• HexcaliberHexcaliber BirminghamPosts: 168Member

There is only one server available for the limited launch.

They had planned to open more servers if there was enough demand, seems someone at AV needs a kick in the balls for completely misunderstanding the marketplace. It's becoming obvious they were woefully under prepared for the launch and completely out of their depth in the marketing department. They are about to find out that a company needs far more than a handful of programmers to launch an mmo. Their customer relations have been nonexistent, web updates lacking and marketing and billing is clearly hopeless, let’s see if they can turn things around.

My Colour Is Vomit green, I puke on the tards with stupid colour sigs. My symbol is ,,!, O ,!,, My enemies are any prat with a colour sig, a meaningless personality test, or a pointless list of games and classes.

Regards Hexcaliber

• stayontargetstayontarget Tacoma, WAPosts: 6,068Member Uncommon

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• LashayLashay LondonPosts: 104Member
    Originally posted by Hexcaliber

There is only one server available for the limited launch.

They had planned to open more servers if there was enough demand, seems someone at AV needs a kick in the balls for completely misunderstanding the marketplace. It's becoming obvious they were woefully under prepared for the launch and completely out of their depth in the marketing department. They are about to find out that a company needs far more than a handful of programmers to launch an mmo. Their customer relations have been nonexistent, web updates lacking and marketing and billing is clearly hopeless, let’s see if they can turn things around.

More likely they just don't have the money to open more servers, Av is a pretty small company developing a game that has overrun by years and is probably only got a handful of people working for it now (seems they cannot even afford a web dev to update their site for launch)

Would not surprise me if they had to borrow the money for the first cluster and are hoping the first months subscriptions will give them enough to open another and then use the money from the extra sub's to open another and so forth

I need a new MMO world to call home as Tom Chilton keeps destroying them

• mehoronmehoron Irvine, CAPosts: 146Member
    Originally posted by stayontarget

www.youtube.com/watch

Win 

• IGaveUpIGaveUp NW, INPosts: 273Member

Quoting someone (?) 

Would not surprise me if they had to borrow the money for the first cluster...

What boggles me is how much hardware it must take to run 10k connections, single seamless world, xl-range scoping, twitchy combat with real projectiles (assuming they are real, look so to me), Mob AI on par with Q3A bots, mounts, vehicles, buildings that take damage, etc. all with low enough server latency that client latency isn't so noticable even from US to EU.

There's got to be a TON of money racked up to drive one world, and that's not counting connection.

Even more so if launch adds back in large numbers of wandering mobs.  (did that happen?)

Ken

• LashayLashay LondonPosts: 104Member
    Originally posted by XAPKen

Quoting someone (?) 
    Would not surprise me if they had to borrow the money for the first cluster...

What boggles me is how much hardware it must take to run 10k connections, single seamless world, xl-range scoping, twitchy combat with real projectiles (assuming they are real, look so to me), Mob AI on par with Q3A bots, mounts, vehicles, buildings that take damage, etc. all with low enough server latency that client latency isn't so noticable even from US to EU.

There's got to be a TON of money racked up to drive one world, and that's not counting connection.

Even more so if launch adds back in large numbers of wandering mobs.  (did that happen?)

Ken

Lol, you have been reading the official website (which is basicly years old advertising of what they would have liked to put in game if they had blizzards budget) and the pre beta hype, most of that is  either not in game or in game but in a cut down manner

I need a new MMO world to call home as Tom Chilton keeps destroying them