Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DARKFALL: Beta Review - Buyer Guide (Long)

Comments

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

This is Darkfail in a nutshell. Head clan leader "Godfather" tells a lowly little nublet. "Gonna make you an offer you can't refuse." Gank wars begin and game collapses in on itself cause it's made by a 2nd rate company who made an under budget steaming pile of crap for the last 6 years. Can't say it's Duke Nukem Forever anymore. Have to say it's Daikatana now instead. Tsk tsk 

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Nice review

I gotta say though, you started off by saying "This is not Dark and Light" and made a comment almost suggesting that D&L never came out or was in an unplayable state at release .. im not really sure what you were getting at.  You then go on to explain the game in nearly a mirror image of D&L when it was first released:  A huge game world, sparsley populated if at all with mobs and hardly any quests.

now, I know theyre not the same game.. but they have extremely striking similiarities.  Do you know the history behind D&L and how it was percieved by gamers who anticipated it upon release?  well, replace darkfall in your review with Dark and Light and you have it.  I mean the main gripe (aside from the billing issues) was that the game was incomplete of content.  It was a shell.

now I may be a little off here, but your review suggests pretty much the same.  I did read however that crafting in the game you consider "excellent" which is great news.. especially for a PVP game like DF.  Could someone elaborate a bit on how the player driven economy along with crafting may be the key ingrediant in this game and not pve quest grinding?  Eve is pretty much set up like that, crafting..market.. pvp and its doing great.  Is this something to expect from Darkfall as opposed to a quest grinder?

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by ste2000

-MAGIC TREE: Acceptable

Many believe that the Magic at lower level (lesser magic) is not very effective.

Not many people reached high level in magic to tell if this changes at higher levels.

Can be improved.

Of all the things I have read - this is the biggest plus for me.

Magic should be tough and magic users should be rare with the higher level ones being VERY rare.

The way to do that is make it a very tough skill path to follow.  Clear out the ADD kiddies at lower levels IMHO.

Maybe Aventurine finally got this right?

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

I have to say despite the fact most reviews seems not to point to an amazing game but they do all seems to point to an ok/average game which in my books is a big plus for AV.

Lets face it most small indie companies have been releasing conjob games such as DnL and roma victor.Just to grab the money fast but at least AV kept effort in their game despite so little resources .

I might buy this game even if i drop it after the first month at least i would have kept money into a small company that for once deserves it!!!!

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Decent review though you onbviously liked it, despite trying I did not. The client did not crash for me but the server did (or was taken down) many many times yeah its beta but you expect the server to be up more than a couple of hours a day. In this regard things are very similar to D&L. Are things better now?

Exploits are going to be a big issue too (they are now) unfortunately that will create a 2 tier community from the start those that cheat those that don't. Have people created macros to keep some one in a perma death loop yet? On a seperate but related subject you have to macro skills (magic for example) to compete. Same with gathering (unless you want to sit for hours left clicking a rock or tree).

Has potential but far from ready. Technology isn't to bad but the game needs a lot of work.

(UI is just a stinker....what where they thinking)

Originally posted by strongaxe

It is very obvious that some things are still turned off, like some raid bosses (chain + platform in the middle of the map).  Also I like pvp and pve and I have enjoyed the pve in darkfall, even though I know that it is not fully turned on yet.

Please remember the devs have stated MULTIPLE times that the beta we are playing =/ release client.

Devs have claimed that since the dawn of time....never ever has it been true. (Or put another way the release build has always been a simple incremental update to what is in test).

• LazzerasLazzeras Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Gorilla

It is very obvious that some things are still turned off, like some raid bosses (chain + platform in the middle of the map).  Also I like pvp and pve and I have enjoyed the pve in darkfall, even though I know that it is not fully turned on yet.

Please remember the devs have stated MULTIPLE times that the beta we are playing =/ release client.

Devs have claimed that since the dawn of time....never ever has it been true. (Or put another way the release build has always been a simple incremental update to what is in test).

All games are tested and released this way.

What makes or breaks games is whether the company who owns the game does enough testing to fix enough bugs prior to release,which is where the games community and beta testers help,and yes in beta your not testing everything cause alot of the games stuff is kept secrete,still lately these companies have been putting out inferior product,that has alot to do with how much is tested and how big of a patch we need to dl at release.Alot of this is due to lack of communication with it community,heck you don't need to add everything the community wants in game cause then game would never be released but keep them upto date on the step by step progression of whats happening during beta,lack of this communication has been a big problem lately.

• SeytanSeytan Member Posts: 653
    Originally posted by Hexcaliber

nics are just what I needed :) there are some things that need to be addressed before release but its been said that from here to release 3-4 giant patches will be implemented into the game turning on everything addresing exploits which they have done well so far.

The only people that have said any large patches will be released are the ever hopeful fanboys; no one from av has said anything of the sort. They have only ever released information on problems and what was being addressed once it had been patched and released, and never before.

As has happened with several other recent flops, fanboys start up rumours trying to explain away lack of content and/or polish with extravagant claims of extra graphics being patched in, mythical untested mega patches being released and gigabytes of hidden content being switched on, this is just more of the same tripe that has absolutely no bearing on reality.

The only disabled content the devs talked about were dissabled npc spawns, and NOTHING more.

Thats usally the case though :} cant think of any MMO ive played where you didnt have this drama playing out, over, and over, and well.

Originally posted by Lazzeras

Originally posted by Gorilla

All games are tested and released this way.

What makes or breaks games is whether the company who owns the game does enough testing to fix enough bugs prior to release,which is where the games community and beta testers help,and yes in beta your not testing everything cause alot of the games stuff is kept secrete,still lately these companies have been putting out inferior product,that has alot to do with how much is tested and how big of a patch we need to dl at release.Alot of this is due to lack of communication with it community,heck you don't need to add everything the community wants in game cause then game would never be released but keep them upto date on the step by step progression of whats happening during beta,lack of this communication has been a big problem lately.

You missed my point. In short there is no 'miracle patch'. Of course there will be incremental improvements over the next few days and on in to release. It remains to be seen if they will be enough to retain a healthy customer base.

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

Nice review. The fact that crafting seems to actually be quite viable has re-ignited my interest in this game a little. PvE content I don't care about - I get my fix from WoW. PvP I don't care for either - but if I can make a living in-game from gathering and crafting, and it still be fun, then I'll give it a try.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

The devs for DnL and AoC both said that as well.

Sure you really want to highlight that as a good thing?

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by Zorvan

The devs for DnL and AoC both said that as well.

Sure you really want to highlight that as a good thing?

Yes and in PotBS they made a  very critical change from the Beta and introduced it into the game at release...

Then spent several days trying to make the game playable again for many users.

Then spent weeks trying to re-balance the game.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by firefly2003

Im having a blast in-game this is the first fantasy themed MMO Ive ever played and the mechanics are just what I needed :) there are some things that need to be addressed before release but its been said that from here to release 3-4 giant patches will be implemented into the game turning on everything addresing exploits which they have done well so far. Heres a pic of a bunch of us going to seige a city there was a lot more but cant get everyone on screen :P

And for those that have seen me post before this is where I have been.

So, is the customization really so bad that everyone looks identical (looking at the avatars in your raid group there)? 8 identical bearded guys and 2 bald headed whatevers?

• RespitRespit Member Posts: 770
    Originally posted by Zayne3145

Nice review. The fact that crafting seems to actually be quite viable has re-ignited my interest in this game a little. PvE content I don't care about - I get my fix from WoW. PvP I don't care for either - but if I can make a living in-game from gathering and crafting, and it still be fun, then I'll give it a try.

Not to throw water or anything. But from some of the other reviews, I find that this reviewers score of Excellent is from a PvPers point of view.

I may be wrong, but it looks like everyone can be self-sufficient, and that dedicated crafters are not really going to be a viable part of this world.

Pre-SWG had the right idea when it came to crafting. It's a shame that no other MMO has picked up on that, and expanded it.

Oh well.

DarkFall FAQ - Read then Question with Boldness

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by Zayne3145

That is not what one of the other reviews mentioned.

There it was said that crafting is basically pointless because you had to go trough tremendous expenses to craft something that would be equal to what you could get from killing a few goblins. So if you go by that other review, then you could not make a living in game from gathering and crafting.

Edit: the following is from thardins review and will likely be very disapointing to you. But trying the game and finding it out on your own might be more disapointing, so here you go:

Crafting: 2 out 10 This is one of the weakest parts of the game in my opinion. I don't believe many (if any) solo players will make it as a crafter. Crafting does not seem to be profitable, and mainly will be used to outfit clans from what I can tell. This by itself isn't really that bad, but having to spend vast amounts of gold to craft items (at least any past the noobish items) is pretty bad. Not only does it make crafting even less profitable; it makes it so that unlike UO, which imo had one of the best crafting systems to date, being a crafter only will likely not be possible without a large guild.

And another review by Scriar:

Crafting and gathering are both poorly implemented, what you craft it is barely any different if at all different from what you can get from mobs at the moment. A lot of the effort you put into crafting seems pointless since you can just go farm PvE mobs, or even better allow another player to farm the PvE mobs, then promptly gank them ;p

Gathering is literally click, wait, click, wait, click wait. You get very little return from gathering anything, and in its current state has caused a lot of people to macro in game. I feel that macroing will be a huge issue come release as it was definably rampant in the game.

Now wich review has it right?

• Darkstar111Darkstar111 Member Posts: 675

Seems to me reviewers that LIKED the game where ppl who:

-Likes pvp.

-Plays in group

-Went further into crafting

-had a UO/shadowbane background (mostly)

And the reviewers that didnt like the game.

-Mostly Solo players

-didnt do alot of pvp

-didnt get very far into crafting

-REALLY didnt like it when someone jumped in front of them and tagged them grey.

Personally I find myself in the first category, I dont intend to solo the game, and from what ive heard once u get past the initial expense of crafting it really pays out.

Which is how it should be, hard.

-Darkstar

Originally posted by Darkstar111

Personally I find myself in the first category, I dont intend to solo the game, and from what ive heard once u get past the initial expense of crafting it really pays out.

That is not correct according to thardins review.

He actually said that it would be less of a profit after you go past the newbie items.

And I don't think either one of them didn't like the game, since they were positive on most other aspects of the game.

Originally posted by TalRasha

He actually said that it would be less of a profit after you go past the newbie items.

And I don't think either one of them didn't like the game, since they were positive on most other aspects of the game.

No Thardins says the items past the newbie items are very expensive to craft.

And thats understandable if u are a very new player and dont have alot of money.

Obviously this becomes irrelevant once u get further into the game.

-Darkstar

And thats understandable if u are a very new player and dont have alot of money.

-Darkstar

No, he actually says that it makes it less profitable.

Please read the part above that I quoted of him.

-Darkstar

No, he actually says that it makes it less profitable.

Please read the part above that I quoted of him.

Yes, and he explains his assumption by saying: 

having to spend vast amounts of gold to craft items (at least any past the noobish items)

Consider wow, does a lvl 10 or 20 character have the neccesary funds to to lvl his crafting skill to max?

Even thou he can get all the required items on the auction house?

no.

Because to him the required funds is akin to vast amounts of gold.

A lvl 80 however will blast through the AH with very little issue untill the very end of the crafting progression.

-Darkstar

having to spend vast amounts of gold to craft items (at least any past the noobish items)

Consider wow, does a lvl 10 or 20 character have the neccesary funds to to lvl his crafting skill to max?
    no.

A lvl 80 however will blast through the AH with very little issue untill the very end of the crafting progression.

-Darkstar

This was simply about it not being a profit if the crafter has to spend more gold on materials than the return he can get for selling what he crafted per item. If any of the reviewers had ment the process of getting crafting high enough to a certain skill level, I'm sure they would have mentioned that.

Keep in mind that the *asumptions* of these beta reviewers are actually based upon them playing the game. You and me are just making guesses based upon what we read here.

It would help if some more beta testers explain the crafting in Darkfall a little bit more in depth. Sadly Paragus didn't touch it in his review.

• CrackboneCrackbone Member Posts: 212

-Likes pvp.
    -Plays in group

-Mostly Solo players
    -didnt do alot of pvp
    -REALLY didnt like it when someone jumped in front of them and tagged them grey.

-Darkstar

I think you are overcomplicating it. 

Those who don't like DF are those who expect to receive even a shard of polish for their hard earned MMO dollar.  Let's be frank, it's your dime, spend it how you like, but every piece of information coming out of this closed beta tells me that this is going to be a repeat performance of AoC proportions.

Look, everything being explained away is the same nonsense AoC fans were coming up with on the eve of release. 

The game isn't ready for release, and probably should have another 6 months or more in the oven.  Expand the beta test, clean up the UI and animations, and fix the exploits.

Instead, what you have, is a cash grab.  And I can't blame AV for going for it, it's clear they have run out of funding(limited beta, limited release, gestapo attitude against those trying to give constructive criticism).

So, where does that leave us? 

AV is setting themselves up to take the reigns from Funcom.  They have less funding, less resources, and the fans are professing that miracles are coming.

I have nothing against Sandbox, but in this case, it's not even that.  It's a sometimes entertaining world with little in it, and sub par PvP, little to no existant economy, sub par gfx, sub par animation, sub par balancing.

A big fat Fail.  The MMO world has its first Daikatana.

• FariicFariic Member Posts: 1,546

no.

-Darkstar

This was simply about it not being a profit if the crafter has to spend more gold on materials than the return he can get for selling what he crafted per item. If any of the reviewers had ment the process of getting crafting high enough to a certain skill level, I'm sure they would have mentioned that.

Keep in mind that the *asumptions* of these beta reviewers are actually based upon them playing the game. You and me are just making guesses based upon what we read here.

It would help if some more beta testers explain the crafting in Darkfall a little bit more in depth. Sadly Paragus didn't touch it in his review.

I'm chalking up the expense of crafting to it being beta and there being a limitted number of players and coin in circulation.  A lack of harvesters could mean short suply, and there not being enough people to actually buy anything or invest enought time into actually earning coin due to beta testing.  Crafting is a big part of the economics of the game and it can be tough to test a full economy while the game is in beta.

What could be an enormous expence now could turn out to be only a moderate one shortly after release when there are more players earning coin to spend, and harvesting mats.

I also had the impression that crafting was going to be more of a guild outfitting sort of thing.  Guilds will have smiths that make weapons and armor for them; with some excess to sell off.   I never really got the impression that it was supposed to be just another ability to add to your character like WoW.

It could be one of the those things that's hard to get a feel for until it's released. 

Who knows.

• FariicFariic Member Posts: 1,546
    Originally posted by Crackbone

-Likes pvp.
    -Plays in group

-Mostly Solo players
    -didnt do alot of pvp

-Darkstar

I think you are overcomplicating it. 

Those who don't like DF are those who expect to receive even a shard of polish for their hard earned MMO dollar.  Let's be frank, it's your dime, spend it how you like, but every piece of information coming out of this closed beta tells me that this is going to be a repeat performance of AoC proportions.

Look, everything being explained away is the same nonsense AoC fans were coming up with on the eve of release. 

The game isn't ready for release, and probably should have another 6 months or more in the oven.  Expand the beta test, clean up the UI and animations, and fix the exploits.

Instead, what you have, is a cash grab.  And I can't blame AV for going for it, it's clear they have run out of funding(limited beta, limited release, gestapo attitude against those trying to give constructive criticism).

So, where does that leave us? 

AV is setting themselves up to take the reigns from Funcom.  They have less funding, less resources, and the fans are professing that miracles are coming.

I have nothing against Sandbox, but in this case, it's not even that.  It's a sometimes entertaining world with little in it, and sub par PvP, little to no existant economy, sub par gfx, sub par animation, sub par balancing.

A big fat Fail.  The MMO world has its first Daikatana.

The general consensus I'm getting from testers is that the game is worth playing if you're into the things darkstar listed, and if you're not you more then likely may not enjoy the game. 

I haven't gotten the impression that it needs another 6 months, that it's being rushed, that it has sub par PvP.

You contradict yourself. 

They are out of money and a limitted release is evidence of that?  How exactly does that work?

You leave me wondering what game it is you're playing.

-Likes pvp.
    -Plays in group

-Mostly Solo players
    -didnt do alot of pvp

-Darkstar

I fall into the first category which is why it is particularly sad to find that in its current form there is really little to commend DF.

You have been mis informed about crafting as it stands now. Having sadi that no doubt things will change as game systems are fleshed out. As it is the only thig that is remotely satisfying is pvp. To really compete there you need to grind your ass off for the majority of your time (oh and exploit and macro).