Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Thinking of playing

MettMett Grove City, OHPosts: 75Member

I have read these forums for a long time and also about this game. I am a star wars fan but I got in to MMO's a while back and missed out on the launch of this one and also the pre NGE stuff. I see lots of complaining and what not but I am not sure if it is just people who will never like the game unless it goes back or what but it seems like it is having life again. I will also say that the new SW MMO is what is driving me to go purchase this game to give it a try. It seems that starsider is a good server to go on but I wanted to make sure it is fairly busy and gives me something to do. I have been disappointed in so many games lately I just want to play one that is fun.  So if anyone has a guild or what not and is recruiting noobs or has any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

  • BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker LondonPosts: 629Member
    Originally posted by Mett


    I have read these forums for a long time and also about this game. I am a star wars fan but I got in to MMO's a while back and missed out on the launch of this one and also the pre NGE stuff. I see lots of complaining and what not but I am not sure if it is just people who will never like the game unless it goes back or what but it seems like it is having life again. I will also say that the new SW MMO is what is driving me to go purchase this game to give it a try. It seems that starsider is a good server to go on but I wanted to make sure it is fairly busy and gives me something to do. I have been disappointed in so many games lately I just want to play one that is fun.  So if anyone has a guild or what not and is recruiting noobs or has any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it.



     

    My advice would be to certainly give it a go, SWG is an excellent game with a suberb community and growing all the time.

    If Starsider is where you want to go (possibly the busiest server right now) why not introduce yourself over at the official Starsider forums?  You'll find information on guilds, player cities and people more than happy to help you there.

    image

  • MettMett Grove City, OHPosts: 75Member

    Ok so I got the trial downloaded and installed. I gotta say the professions/classes and what not are a lot different then what I am use to. Any thoughts on needed classes or one that is just a blast to play. I will probably play a lot of this game solo as I do not know anyone currently playing it.

  • ValeranValeran Indianapolis, INPosts: 925Member

    Spy is pretty popular now after this last update.

    --------
    Ten Golden Rules Of Videogame Fanboyism

    "SOE has probably united more gamers in hatred than Blizzard has subs"...daelnor

  • MettMett Grove City, OHPosts: 75Member

    Ok cool I may try that and a BH and possibly a medic. I am not sure if I want to heal in this game or not. Is this set up with your typical roles like tank, melee dps, caster, ranged dps, healer etc?

  • BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker LondonPosts: 629Member
    Originally posted by Mett


    Ok cool I may try that and a BH and possibly a medic. I am not sure if I want to heal in this game or not. Is this set up with your typical roles like tank, melee dps, caster, ranged dps, healer etc?



     

    There is an element of "Iron Triangle" but this is all blurred by the Star Wars lore that the professions adhere to.

    For info on how they all play, look here: Guide: Understanding Combat Professions

    image

  • jamosjamos londonPosts: 17Member

    I got to say, I tried SWG again for about the 3rd time on a trial, yes I used to have a Jedi before the NGE. 

    I really want to love this game again but the combat is so bad that I logged out and un-installed, good luck with this awfull awfull peice of turd. Im waiting for biowares game. I envy you if you still enjoy it but the bugs and weird lag I experienced within 20mins was just pathetic.

  • BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker LondonPosts: 629Member
    Originally posted by jamos


    I got to say, I tried SWG again for about the 3rd time on a trial, yes I used to have a Jedi before the NGE. 
    I really want to love this game again but the combat is so bad that I logged out and un-installed, good luck with this awfull awfull peice of turd. Im waiting for biowares game. I envy you if you still enjoy it but the bugs and weird lag I experienced within 20mins was just pathetic.



     

    Returning to any game after a number of years is a very daunting enterprise, I always recommend returning vets run a new character through the tutorial to pick up the basics of what is in effect a new game comapared to what they were used to playing.

    You certainly won't pick it up in 20 minutes, but there are plenty of players that you can rely on for support and assistance as you find your feet again.

    image

  • jamosjamos londonPosts: 17Member

    the combat was so retarded, one minute the npcs were across a room then they were warping right in front of me, then id go from full health to none in a split second for no reason...I remember the combat being buggy on day one of release but after 5 years is just pathetic. There was about 5 seconds of my avatar just completely doing his own thing, I took my hand away from the controls and he was running about  by himself then he just appeared dead on the floor....At that point I just gave up, such a shame, so much content and was such a good game once upon a time, Id love to get my hands on the corporate idiot that took a massive dump on the swg community with the NGE, it really is as bad as everyone says.

    On the good side BIOWARE have some great new vids on there starwars mmorpg and it looks great.

  • BadgerSmakerBadgerSmaker LondonPosts: 629Member
    Originally posted by jamos


    ...There was about 5 seconds of my avatar just completely doing his own thing, I took my hand away from the controls and he was running about  by himself then he just appeared dead on the floor....At that point I just gave up, such a shame, so much content and was such a good game once upon a time...



     

    Well if you ever fancy giving it a go again, I'd be glad to hop onto whatever server you are on and talk you through setting up controls etc.

    Sounds like you might have been experiencing some server lag there though, do you remember what server and city/area this happened in?  I can probably figure out from that if it was server lag or not.

    image

Sign In or Register to comment.