Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Came back and staying

2»

Comments

• DonlokoDonloko Member Posts: 14

Plain simple for those that  thinking of checking the game again , stop reading forums go patch the game and as soon you get in you got a 12 day trial period waiting for you no matter if you are a new or old player.

For the rest go play wow

• KaiserjagerKaiserjager Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by Donloko

Plain simple for those that  thinking of checking the game again , stop reading forums go patch the game and as soon you get in you got a 12 day trial period waiting for you no matter if you are a new or old player.

For the rest go play wow

Ahh, what a nice surprise. This post reminds me of the good old days Rusty posted on POTBS forums. It includes commanding language, abusive intent and the usual derogatory refrence to WoW. Because we all know real men play POTBs while infantile babblers play WoW. Two dozen smilies of course only enhance this experience and drive the point home.

In my opinion twelve days period of POTBS isn't worth anybody's time but by all means, go and try it. Just be ready for some verbal abuse, the post above amply shows the calibre of players you will meet in POTBS. Actually come to think of it, this might be a rather mild tone.

And oh yes, WoW does well what it is supposed to do, POTBS on the other hand doesn't. Than again POTBS ship combat includes invulnerability, buffs, debuffs etc, kind of like WoW with ships and without any other features.

• In before "no u" - I know SOMEBODY'S gonna say it before this thread is over

Originally posted by Kaiserjager

For the rest go play wow

Ahh, what a nice surprise. This post reminds me of the good old days Rusty posted on POTBS forums. It includes commanding language, abusive intent and the usual derogatory refrence to WoW. Because we all know real men play POTBs while infantile babblers play WoW. Two dozen smilies of course only enhance this experience and drive the point home.

In my opinion twelve days period of POTBS isn't worth anybody's time but by all means, go and try it. Just be ready for some verbal abuse, the post above amply shows the calibre of players you will meet in POTBS. Actually come to think of it, this might be a rather mild tone.

And oh yes, WoW does well what it is supposed to do, POTBS on the other hand doesn't. Than again POTBS ship combat includes invulnerability, buffs, debuffs etc, kind of like WoW with ships and without any other features.

What lvl is your ZOMG WTF POWN Pala?

• olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

Honestly, POTBS would make a great ftp game with a cash shop.

For $200 you could start a character at level 50, $150 purchase enough doubloons to buy a first rate ship of the line, etc. It would cut down on the gold farmer/power leveling spam. Cause their constant, never ending  in game spam is really annoying.

Considering how a level 50 ship can cost 160,000dblns, and you can lose your 3 durability in PvP in an evening, FLS could make boatloads of money off the credit cards of it's ftp players.

Oh, wait, maybe that is the FLS China branch, maybe Rustty is already doing ptp with a cash shop. Maybe that's how this game stays afloat.

Thank goodness Empire:Total War is almost here.

After my free "welcome back" trial is up, that's what I'll be playing.

The constant, neverending, every minute on the minute, spam from the farmers is now the annoying part of the game. Can't even carry on a conversation between bombardments.

Edit: You have no idea how really annoying this is when you are trying to play the game.

• DorneDorne Member Posts: 1

I'm a total newb at PotBS - I just picked it up yesterday.  I bought it after one day on the free trial.  I think it's a blast.  I'm still pretty confused about what's going on around me, but I really like the gameplay.  I made a French Freetrader on Blackbeard and have pretty much been running around doing quests, but I like it.

The ship combat is excellent.  I haven't done any PvP yet, but the PvE is a lot of fun.  I don't have much of an opinion about the Avatar combat (which is apparently quite an emotional issue) since I didn't see it before, but I don't think it's too bad at all.  It's seems kind of quirky, and I have a little trouble remembering what the differences are between the different attacks (as long as they do damage, it doesn't seem to matter too much) so it's a bit of a button mash, but I wouldn't say that it's terrible.  The Av combat seems like a very dumbed down version of WoW (and pretty much every other MMO), which to me is ok since it's pretty much just a changeup from the ship combat anyway.  I do really like the fact that you get to do both.   

I'm just started in the economic "stuff" and it seems interesting, but I think it'll take some time to figure out exactly how it works.  The tutorials were really good for getting started, though.  I have a warehouse and a gravel pit!  Not sure where I'm going from there, but I'm looking forward to figuring it out :).

As for population, at first I thought it seemed really thin, but last night there was quite a bit of traffic.  I'm pretty much running solo till I get settled, but I don't think that i'll have trouble finding mates when I decide to do so.  I don't know enough about the economy yet to know if there're enough people to make it spin or not.

I did notice the gold farmers, but it wasn't as unbearable as all that.  A /ignore here and there took care of it.  In fact, as I think about it, there were only two that I noticed and I think it was the same seller with two different bots.  I didn't think that it was any worse than any other MMO that I've ever played (that used currency, anyway).  But maybe I'm just a "glass is half full" kind of guy :).   Maybe the other nations are worse.

All in all, I would recommend this game.  Heck, if nothing else the free trial is worth a download.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  After some of the stuff I read on the forums, I was kind of expecting a ghost town, but it didn't feel that way at all.  A little quiet, I guess, but I'm ok with that.  I think I'm gonna stick around for a bit.

• Welcome to the game, glad you're enjoying it so far!

Keep an eye out for players with the "Welcome Committee" title above their avatars - we are Boarding Party player volunteers who have opted to set aside some of our play time for helping new players figure out what's what in-game.  There are dozens of us across the servers, though not all of us have the Diplomacy skill so if you see one from another nation, don't feel put out if he doesn't respond - he may simply not understand you!

• well I also played this game at launch and I really wish i had more time in the day and unlimited money I would be playing this game, but unfortunatly all the good changes to the avatar system will be lost to me becuase of a rocky opening to the game.

Good luck to the game and all of its players

• DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553

The game is fine until you bump into the pimpled college students who can't get any with the ladies

Don't say the slightest thing on the forum that might upset them or you will be targeted & hounded out of the game.

Ok we got it , we understood you feel sad , stop posting the same thing in every thread , crying here and there wont make any diference.

Welcome to the game mate hope you enjoy your stay.

Ok we got it , we understood you feel sad , stop posting the same thing in every thread , crying here and there wont make any diference.

I wouln't need to if I could post on the forum I paid to post on.

If i come back i hope we can all get along as I love Potbs. It will take a permanent ban to stop me from participating because wooden ships is in my blood & there no real competition out there, banning one of the forums top posters & greatest fans perhaps was not the best idea; we are all grown up & should be able to work things out in an adult way.

Heck despite our differences there was much more life in the game when i was there!

Also bear in mind that it's a PvP game where feelings tend to spill over onto the forums at times, we are not all perfect but I try to be friendly.

• ShlomoShlomo Member Posts: 148
    Originally posted by Dorne

I'm a total newb at PotBS - I just picked it up yesterday.  I bought it after one day on the free trial.  I think it's a blast.  I'm still pretty confused about what's going on around me, but I really like the gameplay.  I made a French Freetrader on Blackbeard and have pretty much been running around doing quests, but I like it.
    The ship combat is excellent.  I haven't done any PvP yet, but the PvE is a lot of fun.  I don't have much of an opinion about the Avatar combat (which is apparently quite an emotional issue) since I didn't see it before, but I don't think it's too bad at all.  It's seems kind of quirky, and I have a little trouble remembering what the differences are between the different attacks (as long as they do damage, it doesn't seem to matter too much) so it's a bit of a button mash, but I wouldn't say that it's terrible.  The Av combat seems like a very dumbed down version of WoW (and pretty much every other MMO), which to me is ok since it's pretty much just a changeup from the ship combat anyway.  I do really like the fact that you get to do both.   
    I'm just started in the economic "stuff" and it seems interesting, but I think it'll take some time to figure out exactly how it works.  The tutorials were really good for getting started, though.  I have a warehouse and a gravel pit!  Not sure where I'm going from there, but I'm looking forward to figuring it out :).
    As for population, at first I thought it seemed really thin, but last night there was quite a bit of traffic.  I'm pretty much running solo till I get settled, but I don't think that i'll have trouble finding mates when I decide to do so.  I don't know enough about the economy yet to know if there're enough people to make it spin or not.
    I did notice the gold farmers, but it wasn't as unbearable as all that.  A /ignore here and there took care of it.  In fact, as I think about it, there were only two that I noticed and I think it was the same seller with two different bots.  I didn't think that it was any worse than any other MMO that I've ever played (that used currency, anyway).  But maybe I'm just a "glass is half full" kind of guy :).   Maybe the other nations are worse.
    All in all, I would recommend this game.  Heck, if nothing else the free trial is worth a download.  I was very pleasantly surprised.  After some of the stuff I read on the forums, I was kind of expecting a ghost town, but it didn't feel that way at all.  A little quiet, I guess, but I'm ok with that.  I think I'm gonna stick around for a bit.

Alright, that's it ! I'm getting my pegleg put back on and glueing some feathers on my cat.

Mate all i want to say is not take sho seriusly , you can find idiots in any game and in alla life in general , just smile and get back on It even create a new account and start from scratch

• ShrikeSWGShrikeSWG Member Posts: 10

Does the game still have its problems? Absolutely. Is it, at its heart, a fun title to play? Yes to this too. I played from launch to around May of last year, then quit to go back to WoW. About a week ago, I finally decided to give up Blizzard's crack for good, and POTBS seemed like it deserved a second take. My new Freetrader is already 29. Look, this game might have had the roughest launch in MMO history, but a lot of the original problems have been hammered out. There's a good deal of balance between the pirates and the nationals now, and on the larger servers (Antigua and Blackbeard) the economy is humming like it never has in the game's history. A population numbers down since launch? Absolutely. But I'd make a strong argument that they've bottomed-out, and that the mass exodus is over. Those people who remain are devoted to the product that FLS has developed here, and my bet is that they're not going anywhere for a long time. Is this EVE-Online minus the space? No, it certainly isn't... but that game also has 7 or 8 years of polish under its belt, while POTBS has only just had its first aniversary. Should it survive to be as old as EVE is now, I expect it will be just as deep and involving. Right now it's very simple and basic, but it plays smoothly, and is fairly easy to understand. If you're on the fence about this title, now is the time to dip your toe back into the water. POTBS is a good game, and the combat is fun and extremely tactical in nature. I'm glad I've come back, and for the immediate future, this is where I will stay.

• sbantingsbanting Member Posts: 238

well I'm not going to read the whole thread mainly because the posts were huge!!! I don't know if that guy is playing or not but I hope he's not on my server antigua or however its spelt lmao.

I think the game is good, needs improving but it is only a year old at the end of the day, the combat still needs sorting as the lag is just annoying, standing there pressing all the attack buttons and nothing happening then 2 mins later dying yet no one has done a move is just annoying. The ship battles are really good, the open sea, well i wish it was more explained to me at the start in the tutorial or something that explained what each red circle meant, as I lost a ship at lvl 16 because some noob lvl 50 decided to attack me, obviously i lost and lost my only good ship, nevermind I learnt to not go in the red circles now :P

To be honest if the open sea had real time speed, instead of ultra fast moving ships, it would be pathetic, taking literally days to get to place to place, boring! I'm glad for that, also if the game had open pvp i wouldn't play, as it would be pathetic to get ganked by some rich high level, that to me isn't a game.

I first tried a Brit as I am a Brit, but I found it kinda dull really, so started a Pirate and love it, taking the ships, any ship you see and want, scavenging them to get parts to either make new ships or sell the parts or better still find the deed for the ship and sell that or use it. At the end of the day it is called Pirates of the burning sea not Brit of the burning sea lol! :D

Well I'm enjoying myself and learning lots about the game and how it works, hope they sort the lag out on combat the most and hope they get more people.

• KaiserjagerKaiserjager Member Posts: 100
    Originally posted by ShrikeSWG

Does the game still have its problems? Absolutely. Is it, at its heart, a fun title to play? Yes to this too. I played from launch to around May of last year, then quit to go back to WoW. About a week ago, I finally decided to give up Blizzard's crack for good, and POTBS seemed like it deserved a second take. My new Freetrader is already 29. Look, this game might have had the roughest launch in MMO history, but a lot of the original problems have been hammered out. There's a good deal of balance between the pirates and the nationals now, and on the larger servers (Antigua and Blackbeard) the economy is humming like it never has in the game's history. A population numbers down since launch? Absolutely. But I'd make a strong argument that they've bottomed-out, and that the mass exodus is over. Those people who remain are devoted to the product that FLS has developed here, and my bet is that they're not going anywhere for a long time. Is this EVE-Online minus the space? No, it certainly isn't... but that game also has 7 or 8 years of polish under its belt, while POTBS has only just had its first aniversary. Should it survive to be as old as EVE is now, I expect it will be just as deep and involving. Right now it's very simple and basic, but it plays smoothly, and is fairly easy to understand. If you're on the fence about this title, now is the time to dip your toe back into the water. POTBS is a good game, and the combat is fun and extremely tactical in nature. I'm glad I've come back, and for the immediate future, this is where I will stay.

Ah yes, right, give it another 5 years and POTBS will be done and as polished as EVE. The remaining crew has the dedication to continue. And the game is improving.

I think every MMO flop in the past year or longer had exactly the same resoning in its defence.

From VG to AoC - It gets better! It will improve with time! Learn to play! Whiners have left and the dedicated crew will support it!

Well now, we will wait and see. During the past year POTBS did nothing to change its basic premises, those premises made 3/4 of original population leave and the game never recovered from that hit. Unles somebody would like to argue that original 12 semi working servers were worse than current 4 semi working servers. Judging by the past performance POTBS will remain a second rate product chugging along on Station Pass together with likes of SWG and VG. It started as a wannabe AAA MMO and it remains a wannabe AAA MMO.

I will wager POTBS will introduce no deep changes and will remain floating around supported by die hards, not that it is particularly hard to find followers for anything and everything.

Having in mind the above I would advise all interested parties not to try POTBS unless they have a Station Pass.

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630

Wasn't there an interview out there somewhere where Rusty said he had his work planned out on PotBS for the next three years?

That's very nice if they can carry it out without being artificially kept alive by Station Pass.  But I'm not going to stick around because of vague promises.

Remember all the things that have been discussed from day one?  Social spaces? Port governance? (The two fabled missing legs from the economy.)  I'm sure there's a chunk of players still waiting for that.  It just didn't warrant staying subscribed to see when -- or if -- they would bring it into the game. 

And what about skirmish, which they just delivered? They've been talking about that since when, March, April 2008?  And I also remember what they said when that wasn't brought in earlier: "The guy working on it quit".  We're not exactly talking about a novel in progress where the author died halfway through without leaving notes as to how it ends (think Dickens).  We're talking about code.  The next guy should have been able to pick it up where the first programmer left it.  Why didn't FLS deliver it sooner? Why didn't they make this well-known to the community? (And I should know, I was an avid forum reader in those days.)

For the record, I'll be prepared to give PotBS another try when port governance is into the game.  Otherwise, it's just a waste of time, and the rest of the changes I've read about don't indicate that anything has changed about endgame or deficient game mechanics (red circles, puddle jumping, etc).

If PotBS can survive, just as well.  But I'm sorry, I can't and won't patronize it out of pity.

Originally posted by Vetarnias

And what about skirmish, which they just delivered? They've been talking about that since when, March, April 2008?  And I also remember what they said when that wasn't brought in earlier: "The guy working on it quit".  We're not exactly talking about a novel in progress where the author died halfway through without leaving notes as to how it ends (think Dickens).  We're talking about code.  The next guy should have been able to pick it up where the first programmer left it.  Why didn't FLS deliver it sooner? Why didn't they make this well-known to the community? (And I should know, I was an avid forum reader in those days.)

Funny thing is, the live servers just got updated to 1.13 thats meant to have the skirmishes and its been taken out lol! You have to press alt+h to get it up and then you can't create one, so obviously they got bugs there, but the skirmish on the test server seemed to work ok.

I think its a good game, shame about the bugs, some of the bugs seem small and would be easy to fix but they haven't bothered. The game lacks moreness, other than normal ship pillies and the econ stuff there needs to be more, like palor games and tournaments, just things to keep a wider base interested if you can't be bothered to go out on a ship lol.

I hope they are able to fix this game up and give the game some tlc, and hope people realise its a pretty damn good game.

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Originally posted by sbanting

Funny thing is, the live servers just got updated to 1.13 thats meant to have the skirmishes and its been taken out lol! You have to press alt+h to get it up and then you can't create one, so obviously they got bugs there, but the skirmish on the test server seemed to work ok.

I think its a good game, shame about the bugs, some of the bugs seem small and would be easy to fix but they haven't bothered. The game lacks moreness, other than normal ship pillies and the econ stuff there needs to be more, like palor games and tournaments, just things to keep a wider base interested if you can't be bothered to go out on a ship lol.

I hope they are able to fix this game up and give the game some tlc, and hope people realise its a pretty damn good game.

You wouldn't be a Puzzle Pirates alum, by any chance?

(Also, that's interesting about skirmish.  What did FLS say?)

You wouldn't be a Puzzle Pirates alum, by any chance?

(Also, that's interesting about skirmish.  What did FLS say?)

lol, yes I be from Puzzle Pirates, just like not having to think in Burning Sea :D Some of the puzzles make my brain think to much :P But Puzzle Pirates has got lots of content, just sometimes I don't wanna do puzzles and want lush 3d and cool sea batles :D

I've not seen anything from FLS but not looked on thier forums, will have a little look now and update.

• Originally posted by sbanting

Minor correction: they didn't say Skirmish would be live in 1.13.  They said they "expect" to take it live in 1.14 (note that the use of the word expect means they're not saying 100% for certain that it will go live in 1.14).  Skirmish is on Testbed in 1.13 (that is, it's on testbed right now so we can see that they actually have been developing it).  Having used it in testbed, it still has plenty of work left to be done... my own estimate is 1.15 or 1.16, but I've been in a pessimistic mood this last couple of weeks :p  Anyway, you can get the UI via alt-h because it exists in the build... though why that couldn't be disabled as well, I don't know (I'd bet dollars to donuts that it was unintentional, though).

Lack of "moreness" is an interesting way to express the feeling I've had since I started playing; small things like being able to sit down on a chair or not have always presented a minor annoyance for me.  I'd like if the entire Avatar movement and interaction with the environment were more like what I got used to back in '04 with WoW (I mean keep the visual style the same, but improve the functionality), but since the game's primary focus is ship-based PvP I would much rather see whatever resources they have available to them spent on improving that... after all, changing the way we interact with the world while on land is more than just visual fluff for the Art Department, it'd take actual development.  But like I said, it's been a minor annoyance for me.  I think the major thing that makes the game not really meet its potential is the heavy reliance on instancing, which takes a relatively small setting and makes it feel even smaller at times.

Originally posted by Havohej

Minor correction: they didn't say Skirmish would be live in 1.13.  They said they "expect" to take it live in 1.14 (note that the use of the word expect means they're not saying 100% for certain that it will go live in 1.14).  Skirmish is on Testbed in 1.13 (that is, it's on testbed right now so we can see that they actually have been developing it).  Having used it in testbed, it still has plenty of work left to be done... my own estimate is 1.15 or 1.16, but I've been in a pessimistic mood this last couple of weeks :p  Anyway, you can get the UI via alt-h because it exists in the build... though why that couldn't be disabled as well, I don't know (I'd bet dollars to donuts that it was unintentional, though).

Lack of "moreness" is an interesting way to express the feeling I've had since I started playing; small things like being able to sit down on a chair or not have always presented a minor annoyance for me.  I'd like if the entire Avatar movement and interaction with the environment were more like what I got used to back in '04 with WoW (I mean keep the visual style the same, but improve the functionality), but since the game's primary focus is ship-based PvP I would much rather see whatever resources they have available to them spent on improving that... after all, changing the way we interact with the world while on land is more than just visual fluff for the Art Department, it'd take actual development.  But like I said, it's been a minor annoyance for me.  I think the major thing that makes the game not really meet its potential is the heavy reliance on instancing, which takes a relatively small setting and makes it feel even smaller at times.

I just assumed seeing skirmish in version 1.13 on the testbed, them testing it in an event right before updating the live servers to the same version, I kinda thought, lik ein most games the exact same version would be put on the live servers. Afterall its the same version numbers lol, I'm very new to  POTBS, but every other test server I've been on that said its version 1.1.1.1.1 and they update the live servers to that version it has everything that version has lol, just me? But I find it kinda odd that it didn't lol.

I would just like more to do in the world of POTBS, like I said tournaments and games of poker or stuff like that, things pirates and definatly nationals did while not out on thier ships. I think society inns would be a great thing, i know there is some talk about social places being added at some time I think, maybe I dreamt it tho lol. Currently apart from quests and the econ parts, there is no point in the islands, which is a shame. Also while i'm on the topic, its Pirates of the burning sea, when I think of Pirates, I think of treasure, treasure maps ig chest of gold and deserted islands, where is that? To be honest every pirate game I've ever played has also forgotten about that major thing about pirates lol.

Just my thoughts anyways

I would just like more to do in the world of POTBS, like I said tournaments and games of poker or stuff like that, things pirates and definatly nationals did while not out on thier ships. I think society inns would be a great thing, i know there is some talk about social places being added at some time I think, maybe I dreamt it tho lol. Currently apart from quests and the econ parts, there is no point in the islands, which is a shame. Also while i'm on the topic, its Pirates of the burning sea, when I think of Pirates, I think of treasure, treasure maps ig chest of gold and deserted islands, where is that? To be honest every pirate game I've ever played has also forgotten about that major thing about pirates lol.
    Just my thoughts anyways

You are absolutely right players have been sold short of in-depth content in Potbs for a modern full priced mmorpg, free tp play games come with more nowadays.

FLS still have not implemented their pre-release wish list & have a list of good stuff they want to put in but no ETA.

The economy is still missing two vital sinks & lots of other good posts in suggestions fly by because they do not have budget or devs to implement them, their character transfer system has also been broken for the last 3 months.