Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Runes of Magic: Your First Few Dungeons

StraddenStradden Managing EditorHalifax, NSPosts: 6,696Member

MMORPG.com Runes of Magic Correspondent Pamela Blalock writes this look at the first few dungeons players will encounter in the upcoming game.

As you're levelling in Runes of Magic, you're bound to come across a few dungeons. RoM offers a varying number of dungeons. You'll encounter your normal instanced dungeons and raids. But you might also see camp dungeons, PVP dungeons, and dungeon gates according to the RoM website. During your early levels you'll visit the normal instanced dungeon for you and your party to conquer.

Read Your First Few Dungeons

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• todeswulftodeswulf Dallas, TXPosts: 715Member

RoM was a nice deversion until I got into the Warrior Epic  Beta . WE just beats RoM is every way imaginable, no reatarded prices for gear an Item shop that actually have things people will want  to buy and a story beyond your here now kill stuff. I think WE will be the game that finally tears me away from WoW...RoM while okay still has a long way to go IMO.

• toordtoord Sharn, FLPosts: 139Member
    Originally posted by todeswulf

RoM was a nice deversion until I got into the Warrior Epic  Beta . WE just beats RoM is every way imaginable, no reatarded prices for gear an Item shop that actually have things people will want  to buy and a story beyond your here now kill stuff. I think WE will be the game that finally tears me away from WoW...RoM while okay still has a long way to go IMO.

I gave RoM a try (I mean it's free after all) and was badly disappointed. Wasn't expecting much and even then it was below expectations. The click-to-go mechanic is pretty lame and taking away the classic WASD scheme is a bug deal. Makes gameplay pretty static and cumbersome to move in combat. The in-game story line and lore are minimal and the quests are absolutely non-engaging. If killing random mobs for no other reason other than to kill stuff this game is a good fit for you. If you like immersive, instanced, deep story lines this game is definitely *NOT* for you. Forget for a moment that this game is free. Suppose you'd have to pay $10/month ... would you play it? In my case the answer is a definite NO. In fact I won't play it even thought it's subscription free.

Peace.

• BhagpussBhagpuss BathPosts: 58Member
    Originally posted by toord

The click-to-go mechanic is pretty lame and taking away the classic WASD scheme is a bug deal. Makes gameplay pretty static and cumbersome to move in combat. The in-game story line and lore are minimal and the quests are absolutely non-engaging. If killing random mobs for no other reason other than to kill stuff this game is a good fit for you.

WASD is a standard default option - it comes automatically enabled from the minute you first log on. You don't need to use click-to-move at all and you can even disable it completely from the options menu.

As for the story and lore, they seem about par with every other beta MMO I have played that doesn't have some pre-existing source material. If it's successful, in a few years it will have as much lore as you can stand, I'm sure.

The killing is also exactly as "random" as every other MMO. Every NPC in every MMO wants body parts from animals and local pests exterminated and bandit activity curtailed etc etc. It certainly isn't original, but again it's par for the MMO course.

I find it quite compulsive and quite irritating at the same time. I wouldn;t pay to play it, but I am playing it while I have active subs to other MMOs.

• toordtoord Sharn, FLPosts: 139Member
    Originally posted by Bhagpuss

Originally posted by toord

The click-to-go mechanic is pretty lame and taking away the classic WASD scheme is a bug deal. Makes gameplay pretty static and cumbersome to move in combat. The in-game story line and lore are minimal and the quests are absolutely non-engaging. If killing random mobs for no other reason other than to kill stuff this game is a good fit for you.

WASD is a standard default option - it comes automatically enabled from the minute you first log on. You don't need to use click-to-move at all and you can even disable it completely from the options menu.

As for the story and lore, they seem about par with every other beta MMO I have played that doesn't have some pre-existing source material. If it's successful, in a few years it will have as much lore as you can stand, I'm sure.

The killing is also exactly as "random" as every other MMO. Every NPC in every MMO wants body parts from animals and local pests exterminated and bandit activity curtailed etc etc. It certainly isn't original, but again it's par for the MMO course.

I find it quite compulsive and quite irritating at the same time. I wouldn;t pay to play it, but I am playing it while I have active subs to other MMOs.

I agree and that's the reason I don't play WoW or any of its clones (WAR, LoTRO, etc.). I hate the FedEx quest trite.

• Originally posted by toord

Originally posted by todeswulf

I gave RoM a try (I mean it's free after all) and was badly disappointed. Wasn't expecting much and even then it was below expectations. The click-to-go mechanic is pretty lame and taking away the classic WASD scheme is a bug deal. Makes gameplay pretty static and cumbersome to move in combat. The in-game story line and lore are minimal and the quests are absolutely non-engaging. If killing random mobs for no other reason other than to kill stuff this game is a good fit for you. If you like immersive, instanced, deep story lines this game is definitely *NOT* for you. Forget for a moment that this game is free. Suppose you'd have to pay $10/month ... would you play it? In my case the answer is a definite NO. In fact I won't play it even thought it's subscription free.

Peace.

You obviously didn't spend much time in RoM (if you even played it at all).  Click-to-move is optional and can even be turned off in the interface options.  WASD movement as well as mouse movement is fully supported.  In fact, the starter quest you get AS SOON AS YOU LOG IN takes you through all of these controls so you're not lost on how to move your char.

• As far as the article itself, it's well written but not without misinformation.  You don't need your second class to get the Moongorge or Barrens Cave quests, although I can understand how that can get confused since you usually pass level 10 (and presumably head to Varanas to get your secondary class) before getting to these quests.  You get both talisman rewards for completing the Barrens Cave quest, not one or the other.  Also, she gets Anglie and Anglo confused (very easy to do btw).  Anglie is outside the instance (but still inside the cave) and is part of a different quest; Anglo is inside the instance and you don't even need to kill him because the quest item is far enough away that you can just avoid him and pick it up (although killing him is part of the fun).