Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: More Layoffs, Response and Analysis

Comments

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384
    Originally posted by Loke666

Bad news
    If things continue like this we will just see the Sims, Fifa and Guitarr hero games from EA
    I knew it was crap that they bought Mythic and Bioware.

I cant belive how stupid people are when it comes to What EA actually makes.

everyone seems to assume if they dont like a game/series then it must be made by EA.

Hint, Guitar Hero has NOTHING to do with EA.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by HiGHPLaiNS
    Ahh the infamous waves of Doomsayers and I told you so. WAR will end soon by 2012 I tell you if it doesnt make it thru 2009.
    I love the locals on this forum and their predictions of WAR and what the future holds for Mythic as they post their thoughts.
    Honestly, 300k subscribers sounds pretty damn good to me and with the opening of WAR into Mother Russia, yeah this game sure sounds like it wont make it to 2010.
    And I love the other posters that stated they want WAR to survive, but now they have their doubts.. I never saw so many hypocrits on this website and double talk.

I wouldn't count on Russia being the saviour of anything. In this economy a place like Russia would be not be likely to be gaming. Their economy is pretty shabby and historically they haven't had tons of people propping up many MMOs.

I don't think WAR will die in 2009 personally. It will go on to live a long life as a niche game, which isn't a bad fate for most games. Nothing wrong with niche/small market.

300k isn't so hot when the game isn't paid for yet and daily costs rising throughout Mythic and EA, and with all the forces against it (economy, new MMO releases in 2009). January in the U.S. had 598,000 job losses. When people actually spend their money from now on, they will be choosy. Days of playing games that are just "ok" are gone.

But, go Steelers!

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by popinjay

Originally posted by HiGHPLaiNS

Ahh the infamous waves of Doomsayers and I told you so. WAR will end soon by 2012 I tell you if it doesnt make it thru 2009.

I love the locals on this forum and their predictions of WAR and what the future holds for Mythic as they post their thoughts.

Honestly, 300k subscribers sounds pretty damn good to me and with the opening of WAR into Mother Russia, yeah this game sure sounds like it wont make it to 2010.

And I love the other posters that stated they want WAR to survive, but now they have their doubts.. I never saw so many hypocrits on this website and double talk.

I wouldn't count on Russia being the saviour of anything. In this economy a place like Russia would be not be likely to be gaming. Their economy is pretty shabby and historically they haven't had tons of people propping up many MMOs.

I don't think WAR will die in 2009 personally. It will go on to live a long life as a niche game, which isn't a bad fate for most games. Nothing wrong with niche/small market.

300k isn't so hot when the game isn't paid for yet and daily costs rising throughout Mythic and EA, and with all the forces against it (economy, new MMO releases in 2009). January in the U.S. had 598,000 job losses. When people actually spend their money from now on, they will be choosy. Days of playing games that are just "ok" are gone.

But, go Steelers!

I didnt state that Russia was going to save WAR, just saying that it cant be all that bad since the game is expanding to Russia.

The game came out about 6 months ago so its still a baby compared to most mmo's out there. It was also released during the time of a recession as well. As when it comes to the money that WAR owes for its developement, only time will tell us the fate of WAR, but (imo) I dont think this game will fold up unless EA wants it to..

Your right, I believe it will have a niche fanbase that will keep it going, but I dont see anytime soon of a major MMO that will not be a niche game.. Ever mmo we got here is a niche game it just so happens that WoW is the only mmo to be the phenom here for regular mainstream folks.

Your right again popinjay ---- GO SIX-BURGH!

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670

Most people are missing he point here. They LOST 450k subs in 3 months, that's over 100k a month. The 300k figure was in December. Do you people think the they magically stop bleeding subs since then? They will be around the 200-250k mark now, maybe lower if the rate at which subs are decreasing didn't change. Heck just look at xfire for the last 3 weeks, if that's not enough look at sales figures from the major retailors or the actions being taken by Mythic now. They are panicking and they know they are in trouble. All remember what MR MJ said before the game released, "if we aren't adding new servers 4 months in then we are in trouble". Major mistakes have been made and in most companies that would mean the head of the company going bye bye. 

I would be highly surprised if this game is still up by the end of the year.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by popinjay

Originally posted by Grunch

Whats strange is WAR is a lot more fun *( FOR ME) then most mmos out right now especially WOW. I think a lot of people get turned off by WAR after they get their butts handed to them in pvp. They start crying about balance and bugs and lack of "war" but when I play there is ALWAYS something going on. The only downfall I see to it is by having only 2 realms there is a higher chance of one team being overpopulated.

*Fixed... because apparently over 500k people and dropping, who tried it don't think Warhammer is worth paying for right now.

Doubt all those people got "pwned" and left.

You sure about that? Now obviously, not all 500k would have felt 'pwned', but look at that sentiment in a different way:

How many people left because they thought they'd be able to solo pvp and found they didn't like the team requiremet for winning?

How many people left because they had never tried a pvp game before and realized very quickly it wasn't for them?

How many people left because they expected better pve and left?

How many people went for the concept of WAR but found they didn't like the concept once they actually got to see it in action?

How many people left because they wanted 'winning' to come easily and didn't wait for battle strategies to develop and filter thru the community, i.e. they played the free month where everyone was running around with barely a clue how to operate as a team?

How many people left en masse with their guild, not because they didn't like the game, but because their guild leadership didn't?

and now add

How many people left because they got 'pwned'?

all those together, you might get the 500k. And looking at the above, it isn't that WAR was so poorly done, it may be that people have a lot of varying preferences and in a saturated mmo market, they have more choices to cater to their individual whims.

And lastly we go back to an argument you and I have had before:

You simply do not know that the percentage of players lost in WAR is unusual when compared to any other mmo.

Stradden in an earlier response to this thread, supports this by saying "all mmo's have a crest after launch with a steep drop off, eventually levelling out to the subscription base" (paraphrasing)

Yes, WAR lost 500k. But what if that is normal for an mmo? You throw the number 500k around like it proves WAR is a unique example of total failure, but you actually have no idea whether their loss falls within the normal parameters of all mmo launches.

Present me the exact same statistic for WoW, EQ, EQ2, UO, LotRO, VG, AoC, AC, DAoC. If you saw that all of these games had a similar loss pattern to WAR, what would that do to your argument? I may be wrong, but think, if you actually knew the above stats, and I was wrong, you'd actually have some evidence to support your claim. But as it is, that we simply don't know that WAR's loss is unusual in the business, your argument is meaningless. Last analogy: let us assume that EQ at its height had 250k subs. Let us then assume that 750 had tried it, but only the 250k remained. That would give them the same loss as WAR. Would you then say, that at its height, EQ were as unmitigated a disaster that you claim WAR is?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Raztor

Most people are missing he point here. They LOST 450k subs in 3 months, that's over 100k a month. The 300k figure was in December. Do you people think the they magically stop bleeding subs since then? They will be around the 200-250k mark now, maybe lower if the rate at which subs are decreasing didn't change. Heck just look at xfire for the last 3 weeks, if that's not enough look at sales figures from the major retailors or the actions being taken by Mythic now. They are panicking and they know they are in trouble. All remember what MR MJ said before the game released, "if we aren't adding new servers 4 months in then we are in trouble". Major mistakes have been made and in most companies that would mean the head of the company going bye bye. 

I would be highly surprised if this game is still up by the end of the year.

He's got a good point, but  I think everyone is exaggerating the circumstances. ~250k subs is about right, given that games lose popularity on a curve, not a line. A few things:

1) The game is NOT doing fine. On the weekends there are still only a couple servers with above a low population rating. Part of this is due to them having too many servers, but a lot of this is due to them losing players pretty quickly. Also, and this is just speculation, but I'd be willing to bet that the 2 are feeding off each other (meaning that the population spread is leading to players leaving, and visa versa). It's not dead yet, but a change of course is definitely needed for the game to pick up steam, otherwise a 'fix' for some poor design decisions and balance / bug issues, to stop the bleeding.

2) The recession is effecting all companies across the board, in every country. That's why the term it's being given is "Global Recession". There is no stock for 'Games', each gaming studio / company has their own stock, and  while it's true that the gaming industry (as a whole) is doing generally better than other industries, every industry is hurting. Even the studios that appear to be doing well. That being said, the recession alone can't account for the layoffs ;Mythic. While I do not work for EA, I think that what is most likely happening, is EA is viewing Mythic as a poor investment atm.  Mythic had an ambitious project that EA thought would do well. It didn't, and while it's not yet a failure, it's certainly not producing the returns EA had anticipated. Being as MJB has been given a fair bit of leeway in regards to the game, I would be surprised if he isn't getting a lot of heat right now from EA.

On the whole, I think the majority of people are being extremely unfair to this game. Too many people seem determined to try and make the game into something it's not, and don't give it a chance to show them what the games really about. For example, the whole PvK mentallity, brought over from WoW, of avoiding conflict as much as possible, and just grinding objectives, then blaming the game for you not wanting to fight. It's gotten bad to the point where my guild can scare off 1-2 warbands with a small group of 8 players, simply because they don't want to fight. In what is intended to be a PvP game, that spells disaster. While a game's design can help lessen a mentallity, it can't force you to fight. You can't reasonably blame everything on the game. The context is there to have fun, but the majority of people aren't using it atm.

While I admittedly thought (and perhaps hoped) that the game would be doing much better than it's doing now (not a WoW-killer, but definitely a contender), I don't think (and perhaps hope) that the game is quite finished yet. I do think, however, that this live expansion (call to arms) will be the tipping point of this game. I think everyone knows there's a lot riding on this new expansion (which is more or less a giant patch) and the games success or lack thereof will probably depend on the success of the expansion.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • OnecrazyguyOnecrazyguy Member UncommonPosts: 99

For everyone out there saying 300k subscriptions is "fine" I think you might be missing a few things. Maybe 300k is fine, but one thing to remember is that the developer dumped ALOT of money into making the game that they now have to recover (as quickly as possible obviously). Most of you think 300k * 15 bucks a month = oooh bags o'gold to the bank! woot!

Consider that a game studio in the US with "average" expenses will spend between 10-13k dollars per employee, per month. Do quick calcs on that and you suddenly realize that 400 (assuming this is low and is the team only, not overhead) * 10k (low side for a studio in the US) turns out to be around $4M PER MONTH.

Not sure how many months they are covering but lets say they did 1/2 these people for 1 year (25 million) and all of these people for 3 years (~150M). Even if these are off by 25% (might be... might not be) that's a TON of cash they have to recover.

Retail @$50/unit x 1M units would be 50M dollars in receipts, but they would be lucky to get 1/2 that between publishing and the dev studio so call it 25 million in their pockets for retail sales (retailer gets a large chunk, ads/marketing gets a large chunk, cost of goods, returns, fees to license holders, etc). That leaves somewhere around 150M left to recover.

Now, back to 15 bucks a month x 300k. That's about 4.5M per month of which they have to still retain and pay some staff (I think I read 100), cover bandwidth costs, additional advertising/marketing, and other misc expenses or running a business. Oh yeah, and recover their investment.

Still think 300k subscribers is enough?? If you do, well I have some waterfront property to sell you in Florida :)

Also, just because SOME MMOs can get by on 100k or 300k subs, doesn't mean they all can.

• X-PorterX-Porter Member Posts: 229

I think the best thing would be for WAR to die the quiet death it deserves and free up the Warhammer IP for a developer willing to take advantage of the depth of MMORPG material it has to offer.

WAR doesn't offer a free trial because, really, how many people quit within the first 30 days of playing? I would have, but I'm stubborn and gave it another month. My bad. A free trial would just rob them of box sales.

WAR releasing in Russia-Asia-Xanadu-Wherever, just means people saying "Meh. This is boring." in new languages.

I really don't understand people who say things like "This is the best MMO I've ever played" and "I'm having a blast in WAR". To me "WAR" and "having a blast" don't go in the same sentence unless it's something like," This Halloween I'm strapping my WAR disc to a bundle of fireworks and having a countdown to blast off".

There are other games out there. Good ones. Worth a monthly fee. Go see.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

You know, WAR has some issues, but there are a LOT of really, really ignorant people in this thread talking out of their ass.

Seriously.  Yes, there are a lot of low pop servers, I blame mythic for that in part.  They opened a crap ton of servers at release so people wouldn't have to wait in queues to get in to the game.

Maybe they should have gone the WoW route on that. WoW wasn't all that great at release, but they had a limited amount of servers, and really, really long waits to get in. They gradually opened new servers and let people transfer off of the overpopulated servers to the lower ones. I think things would have gone better if WAR had done this instead of doing the opposite. Instead of losing a few people that got pissed off at waiting to get in, they lost a TON of people cause they were spread out too much.

The problem with this was that when people started falling off after the first month...now you had like, 20 servers too many with people spread out all over them.  WAR is getting better day by day, it is tons improved since release.  There are 4 or 5 servers with really, really high populations, some still have que's at times.

(note: I don't think WAR will EVER, EVER have WoW numbers..but it can be successful..though Mythic opened russian servers yesterday, and korean/taiwan are coming soon with talks of opening servers in china at a later date.)

There are several more servers with med/med pops at prime time with lower pops in the off hours.

They seriously need to look at taking all of those empty servers and combining the populations, as much as they don't want to.(and kick GoA in the ass for sucking)

I play on Phoenix throne, it is pretty damn full, and there is never a shortage of people to kill at any time of the day or night, on any day of the week.

I rolled a toon on order side of dark crag (open rvr server) the other day...holy crap!!! at like 2 in the afternoon it was order=high destro=full(18) and tier 1 was FULL of people!

Those are the only two servers I have personal experience on, but you can see several more that have high pops on them.

Most of the doomsayers quit after the first month, or November at the latest, and will sit here and cry until they are blue in the face based off of their experience from more than 3 months ago.

Can WAR still fail? Sure.  If they fall behind on their patching schedule and don't find fixes for some of the major bugs etc, it can happen.  Do I see another max exodus to "doom" the game? No.  Do I think EA will pull the plug?  No.

Could I be wrong? Absolutely, if I was right all the time I'd be a god among men. But at least I can speak with current information, rather than spewing feces out of my mouth.

• marzguitarzmarzguitarz Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by Shohadaku

Originally posted by m3ta

"recession" is being a nice excuse for many people, but i don't see it in Blizzard or CCP.
    WAR has failed. Bugs aren't fixed, RVR is crap, the downfall is inevitable and obvious.

Maybe Devs will realize people don't want WoW like MMOs. If people want a game formulated on WoW they will play WoW. Devs should try to produce a real NEXT GEN MMO, and not all these shotty shallow games.

Yup, it's a lot like wow. I actually liked the gameplay but no one was talking on chats and I found for the most part the community was horribly rude compared to other mmo's. The chat design added to this as did public quests which seemed to make people very greedy. It seemed people in WAR are always competing with one another even if your from the same realm. Anyhow I am sure there are about 300k that disagree with me. It's just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by marzguitarz

"recession" is being a nice excuse for many people, but i don't see it in Blizzard or CCP.
    WAR has failed. Bugs aren't fixed, RVR is crap, the downfall is inevitable and obvious.

Maybe Devs will realize people don't want WoW like MMOs. If people want a game formulated on WoW they will play WoW. Devs should try to produce a real NEXT GEN MMO, and not all these shotty shallow games.

Yup, it's a lot like wow. I actually liked the gameplay but no one was talking on chats and I found for the most part the community was horribly rude compared to other mmo's. The chat design added to this as did public quests which seemed to make people very greedy. It seemed people in WAR are always competing with one another even if your from the same realm. Anyhow I am sure there are about 300k that disagree with me. It's just my 2 cents.

You see this in a lot of games, especially people that play a month or two then quit.  My experience is a lot different than yours, but I had an organized guild going into it, so I didn't really have to make friends with strangers and what not, I had groups and help any time I wanted it, and no one really cared about loot because once we got geared up we'd bank the good stuff for when someone else coming up needed it.

There have been a lot of games I've played for a month or two, and said meh! then quit.  And pretty much every one of those games I joined solo with no friends, no guild etc.  I pugged until I got a random guild invite, which usually barely qualified as a guild, got bored and quit.

If you have a solid guild around you the whole atmosphere of a game changes.

But yeah, it has it's problems and not everyone is going to like it.  Like I said, I don't ever see "millions and millions" playing this game, but it can make good money and be successful.

I don't know why they don't just incorporate a common voicechat into all games that come out these days, not many  use the chatbox much  anymore.

If anything you get <insert random noob question here>, other than that, people are too busy playing to chat it up while they are killing stuff.  There is a lot more chatter now that the "ICANTSLEEPMUSTREACHCAPLEVEL" phenomena is starting to release its hold on people, especially in the rvr region channels.

• huxflux2004huxflux2004 Member Posts: 730

Only time can tell the truth in MMOs and as far as WAR and AOC goes, time is starting to tell the truth. When AOC was released people were saying that Funcom is doomed, that AOC will close the servers, especially when WAR launches.

What we have some months after WARs launch is whining from the player base, a game leaking subscribers, a studio firing devs in the hundreds. On the other hand, AOC numbers are on the rise, Funcom is very active, developing and/or maintaining AOC plus 3 other projects, with not a single person fired (from the Oslo studio which accounts for the 90% of Funcom). Kudos to Funcom, they know how to handle a difficult time and come out of a crisis stronger. Not like the firework Mythic proved to be.

Now some of you can shove the Failcom sig up your ***........

Originally posted by huxflux2004

Only time can tell the truth in MMOs and as far as WAR and AOC goes, time is starting to tell the truth. When AOC was released people were saying that Funcom is doomed, that AOC will close the servers, especially when WAR launches.

What we have some months after WARs launch is whining from the player base, a game leaking subscribers, a studio firing devs in the hundreds. On the other hand, AOC numbers are on the rise, Funcom is very active, developing and/or maintaining AOC plus 3 other projects, with not a single person fired (from the Oslo studio which accounts for the 90% of Funcom). Kudos to Funcom, they know how to handle a difficult time and come out of a crisis stronger. Not like the firework Mythic proved to be.

"firing devs by the hundreds'??? Are you going for a grammy nomination for most dramatic or something?  I agree, FUNCOM is finally coming back up, and I'm glad but wow...you're just ridiculous.

• huxflux2004huxflux2004 Member Posts: 730
    Originally posted by daelnor

Originally posted by huxflux2004

"firing devs by the hundreds'??? Are you going for a grammy nomination for most dramatic or something?  I agree, FUNCOM is finally coming back up, and I'm glad but wow...you're just ridiculous.

The report puts the number of layoffs at “between 60 and 130” people.

Plus the people that were fired a couple of months ago. I am not making it up man. Its a fact.

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042

I tried to like WAR, I had a lot of fun Swordmastering scenarios. Fact of the matter was on good systems the game ran like crap, like it was designed on DX7 in 2001. Seriously launching a product like that in 2007 is pathetic.

Originally posted by daelnor

Originally posted by marzguitarz

You see this in a lot of games, especially people that play a month or two then quit.  My experience is a lot different than yours, but I had an organized guild going into it, so I didn't really have to make friends with strangers and what not, I had groups and help any time I wanted it, and no one really cared about loot because once we got geared up we'd bank the good stuff for when someone else coming up needed it.

There have been a lot of games I've played for a month or two, and said meh! then quit.  And pretty much every one of those games I joined solo with no friends, no guild etc.  I pugged until I got a random guild invite, which usually barely qualified as a guild, got bored and quit.

If you have a solid guild around you the whole atmosphere of a game changes.

But yeah, it has it's problems and not everyone is going to like it.  Like I said, I don't ever see "millions and millions" playing this game, but it can make good money and be successful.

I don't know why they don't just incorporate a common voicechat into all games that come out these days, not many  use the chatbox much  anymore.

If anything you get <insert random noob question here>, other than that, people are too busy playing to chat it up while they are killing stuff.  There is a lot more chatter now that the "ICANTSLEEPMUSTREACHCAPLEVEL" phenomena is starting to release its hold on people, especially in the rvr region channels.

That's exactly how it went, however I have gone in cold with each and every MMO. I have never experienced anything even close to the rudeness and coldness of WAR.  When I started playing COH players helped me at every turn, also eq1, Daoc, Eq2 and yes even wow's player base was fairly helpful and the chat was fairly active. You do have a point but MMO's should not only be about self. If that is what they have become, we might as well buy normal solo games.  It's a shame as I think WAR could be an awesome game.  Ok enough whinning from me.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

I don't know about all these doom predictions from this thread, even I once had the thought but the FUN of the new Live event that started yesterday is AMAZING.

There is some much to do in pve and pvp, to chasing and killin certain players to fighting main bosses.

Mythic WILL be succesfull if they keep this up!

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Hrica

I don't know about all these doom predictions from this thread, even I once had the thought but the FUN of the new Live event that started yesterday is AMAZING.
    There is some much to do in pve and pvp, to chasing and killin certain players to fighting main bosses.
    Mythic WILL be succesfull if they keep this up!

I also really hope they will not only continue to exist but also evolve.

For me WoW is king of the kings ... the most complete package ever. And I'm not so young anymore ... and have tried a lot in my life. Forget about cartoony graphics ... somebody may not like it (like me at the start :-)), but this cartoony graphics are masterpiece. All keys, mouse movements, mechanics, ...everthing work just as player expect to. Gathering, crafting, ah, .... they are all worlds per se. Also very original quests (like jumping on airplane and putting down mobs that jumps on), incredible underwater world with quests, flying mounts, .... etc etc. All other games put together are not so "rich". Hmm ... I hardly remember game with underwater quests, fly mounts, ...

And the second on list (even if pretty far behind) is War. IMO of course.  In company of this two, all others do not make up solely for War (Aoc, Lotro, EQ, Eve, ... included) immagine for wow. AoC and Lotro have only better lore ... but because based on good books.

Btw about numbers droping heavily in december ... I also contributed to this because of WOTLK. As I see it for now, I will be for long split between Wow and War. All the rest .... I resubscribe from time to time ... and I have then enough for about a next one year.

What I really like in War are pq and scenarios and rvr in general ... in other games I never liked pvp. Here are regular part of my gameplay.

Well, enough for now. :-)

• WarcriminalWarcriminal Member Posts: 244

I dont get alle the people getting poor preformance.

I run the game on max (Forced AA and AF) on a 2 year old system with a new GFX card (260GTX)

and the game runs supersmooth with op to 20-25 player RvR and surprisingly good in massive battles

never crashes

all settings on high

I am constantly amazed at why and how people like wow so much. It does run smooth and has a huge player base, but for me it stops there. I guess first off I am not a huge pvp fan. So few classes, races. The crafting is a complete joke, there are little to no guild tools, class balance is horrid. I did play for nearly 3 years on and off but I have decided to never return. Eq2 and Vanguard were/are 2 games that could have been great games.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Warcriminal

I dont get alle the people getting poor preformance.
    I run the game on max (Forced AA and AF) on a 2 year old system with a new GFX card (260GTX)
    and the game runs supersmooth with op to 20-25 player RvR and surprisingly good in massive battles
    never crashes
    all settings on high

Well, that it works good on your computer doesn't actually mean that it works well on all computers.

The problem is probably either certain drivers or certain hardware that performs bad together with the client.

If you have any problems, see that you have all the latest drivers installed. It might not help, Mythic still needs to work on this issue but it lowers the chanse of getting problems, particulare old GFX drivers can cause problems.

Stability is up now for most users so things are getting better now, but it can also be because more people upgrade, new hardware seems to have less problems.

• OnecrazyguyOnecrazyguy Member UncommonPosts: 99

Sure if you like spending your life warping from stargate to stargate.

EVE is different and in its own way fun, but at the end of the day you can say the same about it that you can about WoW... you grind missions for cash to buy a bigger ship to grind for cash faster to buy a bigger ship, etc.

The thing I've noticed about the social aspects of the various games are that EVE seems to have the most friendly and helpful people, heck they even have an entire guild dedicated to teaching people how to play, take noobs into 0.0 space etc. Pretty cool. WoW's community, while certainly active, is MUCH less helpful and very rude/condescending and SO often filled with just random crap from people whose IQ is lower than their age. WAR, while much less "chatty" seemed a bit more mature to me (never see people spamming "anal XXXXXX" just to be morons for example).

WoW has been successful because it opened the door to the masses. Gone are the days where people can screw up their characters from poor choices of stats etc, we now have markers over quest givers heads etc. This was a good move on Blizzard's part but it has the side effect of pulling in people that are less serious about the game and therefore more immature. Games like WAR and EVE are more difficult to learn and play, and therefore less accessible, and I believe that over time, that's the reason you see those types of games have less players but more that are there to play and understand the game and not name their characters "Irpwnzdu".

• Azen77Azen77 Member UncommonPosts: 125

I was just happy to read that even lead designers were being let go hehe.  I mean sucks for them, and I mean no personal offence, but good lord...if you've played the game, being "let go" is almost too nice for the amount of money they wasted 'designing' such a weak core gameplay model.

UO,AC1&2,EQ1&2,DAOC,SB,SWG,FFXI, Horizons,EvE,E&B,AO,WoW,VG, Lineage,GW,TR,LotR,AoC,CoH,DDO a myriad of FtP...and still looking...

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

A rushed product = poor financial returns and consumer retention.

Huh....what a novel concept. Well, in there defense, this has never happened to an MMO before. How were they to know?

/sarcasm off 

Joined - July 2004