Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is performance increased?

Hi there, I tried Istaria a while back but the general perfomance of the game was real bad and I know it wasn't my pc cause that was new at the time. I was thinking about giving the game another go however, I wondered if the performance had gotten any better?

Comments

• ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746

any info on performance?

• shadowmageshadowmage Member UncommonPosts: 196

It has improved and they are working on more improvments. I would say request a trail period added to you old account throught the support site. They are normaly pretty good about doing that for returning players.

Emissary of Istaria
    imageimage

• HadesprimeHadesprime Member Posts: 303

the client is still a pig on resources. This has only been improved in a minor way over the years. The perception of increased performance is not due to any work a developer has done on the client but rather the fact that most people have upgraded hardware since the games release.

They lost the only dev capable of doing such client tweaks a while back ( Tango). This is why vista capability is taking so long. They have no access to the expertise to remedy the situation.

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

In some respects it has improved.

When I first tried it back in.... 05 or 06, the game was so lagged I was still seeing combat animations 30 seconds after having killed a mob. The game was virtually unplayable.

That kind of lag is gone.

But like Hades pointed out, the game is still a resources hog. Load times (when portalling to new areas) can be 5+ minutes. And playing on a P4 with 2 gig of RAM, I couldn't play for more than 4 hours without needing to reboot my machine - something not necessary for any other game I've played.

On balance, if you enjoy the actual game, I think the memory gobbling is tolerable.

• dand3dand3 Member Posts: 241

Memory leaks are much improved these days.  I don't have to reboot at all, although I don't usually play more than 4-6 hours.  They can sneak in with upgrades, then get rooted out like any other bug. The current owner is more balanced, and has improved the  ratio of game fixes to new development. 

Part of the lag was because some items in the game used an unconscionable number of polygons.  Schools of fish, water, and some rock formations have been mentioned in the past as requiring vid card processing out of all proportion.  Since that's an artwork/model issue, work can continue with the present staff.

I don't know how much of that work is continuing, as I'd expect the art staff is hard at work on the Blighted Labyrinth (ooohhh ).  Polygon reduction does seem like a good way to break in new staff though.

And of course, the ever-increasing video card capability helps.

I've downloaded the trial and after I've completed two worlds I'm gonna give it a shot, is there a site I can visit to explain about the dual class system that I have been reading about?

Best site is the main community site at. http://community.istaria.com/forum/  But in a nut shell you can level every class in the game if you want to. But each There is a formula that is used to figure out your rating that determins how much XP you get for a kill. My self I play a dragon so I am not sure of the formula but if you ask in the help section some one can help explain it in more detail.

Emissary of Istaria
    imageimage

I registered at the forum however when i try to post there it says "you do not have permission to access this page"

I think they have approves turned on for the forums to cut down on spam and such. As soon as a Dev logs in the should approve you if not pm me your account name and i will let a dev know to turn you on.

Emissary of Istaria
    imageimage

• dand3dand3 Member Posts: 241

You raised a good point about multi-classing.  Some have played as purists, one class only.  But most bipeds take at least a few levels to get some skills outside their class.  If you're a Ranger, for example, you can level a healing class to get some of the less powerful heals, and resurrection.  Handy that.  You can transfer the spells (but not the best ones) up to those available to 1/2 the max level of your non-main class.  So as Ranger, I leveled to 88 healer to get a level 44 spell.  If I'd stayed healer, I could use the 88 level spell, but as Ranger, only the 44 level spell.  A very clever, carefully worked out system, that balances quite well.

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177

Just a slight correction.   Masterable abilities are transferrable to other schools once you get to 2x the level required.  You get to cast any of the spells as long as you meet the requirements listed on the spell.

Drev

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

My account name is gazel, to be honest thou after some searching the forums I found a table which I downloaded that explained the dual class system alot better and I was very impressed with the info:)

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Shari

I've downloaded the trial and after I've completed two worlds I'm gonna give it a shot, is there a site I can visit to explain about the dual class system that I have been reading about?

There is :)

http://horizons.gamersinfo.net/guides/default.php

What you're after is in the Adventurer Schools: General Information guide.

You'll also find a wealth of other useful information on this site, not the least being the spells and special abilities of all of the schools/classes. It is easily the best site for info on Istaria. There are a few other sites that contain extra snippets but this one nearly has it all.

• maxnrosymaxnrosy Member Posts: 608

I would advise you eliminate the clutter. it saves so much cpu for other things.

Oh and there is a way to shorten the loading times when you teleport. Just ask in the market channels someone will tell you what to do.

Watching Fanbois drop their soap in a prison full of desperate men.