Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question the 2nd, this time far less inflammatory

KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

I won't get into my reasons for asking because I'm sure someone will find a way to argue about it. But please, kindly do answer.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

Comments

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i play eve and just got COD5, so i am playing 1 other :P

• nurglesnurgles Member Posts: 840

I only play eve. It was my first MMO. I took a break and looked at other MMOs, did the trial of D&D online and decided that nothing compares with EvE.

• EnkinduEnkindu Member Posts: 1,098

I've given LOTRO and WoW a shot, 6 months each, and played a number of other trials.  But if you are asking only about current games I play nothing but Eve.  Quite honestly every other game I've tried seems pointless after a couple of months to me- every game is going to appeal to different people for different reasons (and that's a good thing, otherwise we'd all be clogging the same game).  The difference Eve has for me is that you are constanly in competition with a LOT of other very smart people, so getting ahead is rather difficult.. and as a result quite satisfying.  Screw up and you could blow months worth of work in a few seconds... the other games I'd get some new piece of epic gear and be like "meh, why does this matter again?"

I get sick of the "your game sucks, my game rules" posts on this forum.  If you don't like Eve, fine and good.. don't play, and quit makiing inane posts about it in the Eve forum.  You don't see me over in the WoW forum asking why so many people like a game that I didn't enjoy, do you?

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

a lot of people will only play one mmo at a time.  so i agree with the above poster in that this is just more troll bait from the op...

"oh you eve people only play eve and that's why you think you're so superiour. if you'd try other games, you'd see eve is nothing special."

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485

I've played many other MMO games dating back to when Everquest was first released in 1999.  I've played many single player games as well and enjoyed them immensely, most notably the Sim City, Civilization, and Age of Empires series of games.

However, I have to say, once I played EVE for the first time those other games have lost most or all of their "shiny" for me.  That is why EVE is the only game, single or multi player, that I play now.

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

I was hoping to get a few more results before saying anything, so the results don't get skewed, but since there seems to be a question as to why I'm asking this, it's because I'm trying to pinpoint the kind of playstyle that Eve seems to work best for. As you know there are plenty of different types of gamers, some which find one game and stick to it for life, and some that hop around to everything in creation, and everything in between. I'm not really trying to gague why you only play Eve or not, though it's welcome input. 

If I could, I'd like to ask what your average play session normally lasts as well for those that do play within each catagory, but I'm not sure how I could do that short of a million polls, and as damian7 appears to be intent on harassing me for some agenda known only to him by jumping on everything I post, I honestly don't want to deal with the hassle right now. I would like to thank those who have humored my questions and probings thus far though.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

Hey, I don't mind answering further.

First off, I used to be one of those gamers that jumped from one game to another.  For a period of a few years, I purchased between 12-16 games per year.  Occasionally I found one that resonated and I'd play that one for a long time, games like Civ2  (IMO the best of the Civ series) or a SimCity game. 

I had these games that I played over long stretches, but always the hunt continued for something better.

I guess the reason I stopped hunting is I found the something better in EVE.

I love the fact that EVE is a competitive game, and the PvP is first rate.  Even more though, I find EVE to be the most intellectually challenging game I've played.

Then there is the fact I am a family guy and I don't have long periods I can play, so, part of my search for "the perfect game" also takes into account how well the game fits my particular play style.  I usually can't play more than an hour to hour and a half at a stretch, and again, EVE is the perfect fit!

Perhaps one of the reasons for the good fit is, unlike many other games where you are stuck, pretty much, playing the game designed by the designer, in EVE I get to define, to a very large extent, what game I will play.

Anyway, I can say more, but I'll leave at that for now.  If you have any more specific questions I'll do what I can to answer.

Originally posted by Kordesh

I was hoping to get a few more results before saying anything, so the results don't get skewed, but since there seems to be a question as to why I'm asking this, it's because I'm trying to pinpoint the kind of playstyle that Eve seems to work best for. As you know there are plenty of different types of gamers, some which find one game and stick to it for life, and some that hop around to everything in creation, and everything in between. I'm not really trying to gague why you only play Eve or not, though it's welcome input. 
    If I could, I'd like to ask what your average play session normally lasts as well for those that do play within each catagory, but I'm not sure how I could do that short of a million polls, and as damian7 appears to be intent on harassing me for some agenda known only to him by jumping on everything I post, I honestly don't want to deal with the hassle right now. I would like to thank those who have humored my questions and probings thus far though.

harassing?  you took it upon yourself to dissect posts and basically call me stupid, but in doing so, pretty much everything you stated about eve was patently incorrect.  for some reason you believe no one does anything with POS ever...

then when i reply and correct your blatantly incorrect poasting, you ignore facts and you keep on poasting in this forum, bashing eve.

why?  if you feel you're correct on items, don't ignore the rest of that thread and start new threads, back up your statements and prove your points.  but you're not doing that, you're ignoring factual information and going make other threads and just bashing eve for some unknown reason.

i'm sorry you didn't enjoy eve.  it ends there.  all the bashing ESPECIALLY using incorrect information, IS setting you up for flames... all the trolling, IS setting you up for flames...

all someone has to do is look at your poasting history on this forum and they'll readily see that you are the one with an anti-eve agenda for some unknown reason.

eve has the same people that all other mmos have.  you find the people you are looking for, in any mmo you are playing.  it's how it's always been, it's how it'll probably always be.

there's subsets that will play only a game for life, subsets that will play multiple games at once, subsets that will play a game for a few months and swap to others back and forth... this is true for any and all mmos out there. 

make a trial on eve and go post on the eve-o forums to do your supposed survey.  you'll have a whole lot more people answering and they won't have seen your history of poasting/trolling on this forum, IF you are seriously wanting to do your survey.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Kordesh, it's obvious from a quick review of your posts in this forum that you are angry at Eve, the people who play it, or both.  While this seems like a huge and pointless waste of your time and energy to me, I assume you have your reasons.  Whatever, I don't care. Here's the thing:

Eve does not have a "horrible" community.  All through my time in Eve I've met people willing to go out of their way to help me, and I do the same for others all the time.  What you don't seem to be comprehending is that the community in eve has absolutely no sympathy for whiners.  We KNOW the game is hard and unfair and that mean evil people can be as mean and evil as they want to in the game.  This is by design and we LIKE IT LIKE THAT.  Eve is intense because of the realism you experience in human interaction.  I am a whitehat in the game- I hate piracy and scammers and do everything in my power to fight this "virtual evil" and to help those who are compassionate and kind.  HOWEVER, that "quest" would be hollow for me if not for the difficulty of being a good guy in a world with a lot of "bad."

What you are percieving as elitism is actually frustration with people constantly stating the obvious and wanting to change something that is perfectly fine the way it is..  we KNOW Eve is cold and hard.. we clawed our way up through the ranks (we were all noobs once too).  No one gave us handouts.. we all had our first cruisers shot out from under us and got podded with heads full of implants that we couldn't afford.. that's Eve.. if you GET it, you live and learn and move on.  If you can handle that, you gain the respect of the Community.  If you piss and moan about how mean and unfair it is even nice guys like me will be tempted to make fun of you.

I don't know how better to explain Eve to you.  If you don't like it, great move on and have a nice day.. but don't call a community "horrible" that you've obviously never really cared to join.

I'm about as far from elitist as a person can get, but fair warning: posts like the ones you've made recently in this forum leave me with the impression that you really don't get it.

deviliscious: (PS. I have been told that when I use scientific language, it does not make me sound more intelligent, it only makes me sound like a jackass. It makes me appear that I am not knowledgable enough in the subject I am discussing to be able to translate it for people outside the field to understand. Some advice you might consider as well)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373

Since May 2007 I've played EVE for the most part.

Along the way I took TV timeouts to try AOC and WAR, and both disappointed.

I also tried Fallout 3, but it was a pale imitation of its predecessors (as is so often the case these days)

So far, haven't found anything better than EVE and will continue playing for quite some time to come.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I'm about to derail my own thread but...

Eschiava- " I usually can't play more than an hour to hour and a half at a stretch, and again, EVE is the perfect fit!"

If you could give me more detail on what a general play session consists of, I would appreciate it. I'm curious because I've always had the impression that it took at least an hour to prep for most things in Eve given all the factors that need to be readied.

Enkindu- 

"Kordesh, it's obvious from a quick review of your posts in this forum that you are angry at Eve, the people who play it, or both. While this seems like a huge and pointless waste of your time and energy to me, I assume you have your reasons."

I'm not really angry at anybody but perhaps some of your more vocal fanboys, and even then it's indirect. The one thing I can't stand is people who praise things with blind fervor and unrelenting bias, so when I get to a post going on and on about how everything is rainbows and sunshine in Eve for everyone who "GETS IT!" I tend to lose my cool, especially when my past experiences with it have proved, for me at least, for it to be quite different, but I'll get into that a bit later.

As for the rest of your post, I may have been a bit hasty in my titleing, but once again, I did post it after a quick browse through of the Eve forums, so you can take a guess as to my state at the time. I'll get back to this later as well. I understand the bit about being frustrated, but much of what I was talking about delt with a general tone, not specific questions regarding the obviously rediculous suggestions that get made some times. Just me, I'm all for mocking people who go out of there way to be completely absurd (so I herd you like honor tanking?) Without making a list of quotes to reference, I guess its hard to get to specifically what I'm talking about, but there are perfectly legitimate questions posted that are simply responded to with "Troll!" or "Carebear" not because they're inflamatory or even controversial, but just because the player didn't know something and apparently had the gall to ask. 

Let me give you a quick rundown of the last few times I've popped my head into Eve. (tl;dr version below)

First time: Beta. Pretty much a "hey this is neat" and then left. It was crashing a ton, and I couldn't really get anything done, so I kind of wrote it off for a while and poked my head back in later on.

Second time: About a few months down the line I finally sub up for the first time and begin in ernest. I knew the first thing I had to do was join a corp, and being a fan of Eve lore, did so with an RP guild that was also in a decent alliance at the time. I believe this was well before T2 and all that lovely stuff. They were friendly, and helped me get going, but while I managed to get all my learning skills done, that was all I was doing, so in about two months I took a break.

Third time: Ok, back, this time learning skills are done and I can get to the good stuff. My corp, which was small to begin with, dissipated and I had to rummage for a new one. Happened to run into an aquaintance I made last time I played who was still around and joined his corp mainly because I knew him. This is where things started taking a bit of a negative turn. For one, it was a Caldari corp. This was problematic as I really don't like them, at all. Min and Gal are more my speed. So after ferrying all of my equipment across the galaxy which took a few days (35 jumps there and back, multiple trips for additional ships and such I needed) I end up with nothing to do but mining. That go old quickly suffice to say, especially since it was just roids in a mid-sec belt with basic equipment, but it was money. Mission grinding I gave up on at this point because it was just too tedious and I wasn't making any money. My corp made a move into 0.0 (this was when instas were all the rage as well), and in my attempt to follow, was promptly annihilated several times and went bust. In the end there was a huge falling out with the corp, nothing happened for a good two months, and I said "toss it" and left again.

I will say though, in my attempting to cut my losses and leave 0.0, the best thing that happened that time was me outrunning some ceptors that were after me in a god damn hauler.

Fourth time: Largely uneventful. Joined a mining corp with hopes to make some decent isk and maybe do something this time around. Nice group, friendly, was making some isk now that salvage was implemented and took up missions for a bit. In the end I was still mining and mission grinding, and even with a lovely Cyclone sitting docked waiting for some kind of use, I couldn't risk flying it with my funds, and it would take forever before I could get to that level of income at that rate. Took off again.

Fith time: Faction Wars released. I figured, finally a way to find an engagement without having to deal with some ridgidly scheduled corp war. Large ships were out, learned to appreciate smaller ones. Had a cepter and the skills to fly and fit one, but ended up never using it. Took one or two bases with two other people I met up with one day, that was fun, but other than that nothing. Ran with a patrol group looking for the other factions patrol. Managed to go in circles for nearly four hours before deciding it was a waste of time. Grinded a few missions and left again. 

All in all, several months and 10million skill points later, my Eve experience consisted of either waiting, prepping, or grinding. Not once did I even get to lock another ship let alone fire on it. Considering my asperations at the time were combat, you can guess how disappointing that was. As for these posts, I've been struggling with the decision to make a Sixth excursion with a different angle (exploration and scouting), and see how that works out, but these days I have even less time than before due to the fact that I like to get involved with plenty of different games, and have a life outside of gaming that demands attention, so the viablity of even attempting this is questionable. Perhaps now you can understand a bit where I'm coming from. If not, I guess I can understand that too.

tl;dr version: I 5 attempts with no engagements with anything but an asteroid and nothing of notable interest, leaving Eve a game I hate to love. 

Analogistic version: Eve is a jilted ex lover.

I get that some people love the economy, they love the politics, they love the PvP, but from my experience it's only the top 10% that get to experience any of it, and that's where my outlook lies, regardless of how true it might be, from my past experience.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

i hate to say it, but -- get in a better corp.

there are corps for every playstyle.  you can be in a corp that IS helpful, and everyone mostly solos.  you can be in a corp that specializes in pretty much in aspect of the game, including role playing.

money really ISN'T an issue in eve.  why do i say that? because in a GOOD corp, if you're participating, they're supplying you with ships, drones, skillbooks, mods, etc.

if the corp you're in isn't providing you a pleasurable experience, get to the recruiting channel and check the recruiting forum.  eve university is always an option. 

edit:  to be clear -- getting in a random corp is NOT hard to do... getting in a good corp, i.e. one that shares your goals/playstyle; THAT is the hard thing to do/find.

Originally posted by damian7

i hate to say it, but -- get in a better corp.

there are corps for every playstyle.  you can be in a corp that IS helpful, and everyone mostly solos.  you can be in a corp that specializes in pretty much in aspect of the game, including role playing.
    money really ISN'T an issue in eve.  why do i say that? because in a GOOD corp, if you're participating, they're supplying you with ships, drones, skillbooks, mods, etc.

if the corp you're in isn't providing you a pleasurable experience, get to the recruiting channel and check the recruiting forum.  eve university is always an option. 

edit:  to be clear -- getting in a random corp is NOT hard to do... getting in a good corp, i.e. one that shares your goals/playstyle; THAT is the hard thing to do/find.

I hate to say it, but you're probably right. For essentially all of my time there, while I was in a corp of some sort, I wasn't really helped out or even interacted with most of them the majority of the time. I try to stay mainly self sufficient in regards to upkeep and such because the last thing I want to be is "that guy" who leeches isk off of everyone. That last mining corp I was in was probably my favorite if for nothing else than the fact that they had an automated system for paying out for bringing in useful materials, which let me fund myself and help out the corp, which is what I'd preferably like to do. Unfortunately, hauling by myself was all I find myself doing at the time.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• TaramTaram Member CommonPosts: 1,700

Err including NON MMO titles I play a lot of games. I play Lego Star Wars on the Wii with my kids... as well as Lego batman & Lego Indiana Jones (actually the lego games are a lot more fun than I ever thought they would be. I quite enjoy them).

I also play Runes of Magic as my 2nd MMO since it's a) free and b) Better than most of the Pay-to-Play fantasy MMO's on the market (stunning I know, but true).

I still play Neverwinter Nights 2 regularly as well and recently picked up "The Witcher: Enhanced Edition" and am playing that now as well.

There are a few other titles. I play EVE about 2 or so hours a night. Usually only after the kids are in bed and while my wife is at work... sometimes more if I'm having trouble getting to sleep I'll hop on later on until I'm tired enough to zonk out.

When the kids are awake I'll usually hop on one of my many single player games that can be paused/saved/etc while they watch TV or play their own games so that when I need to suddenly jump off the PC to help my kids with something I can without worrying about my character/ship getting blown to smitherenes.

"A ship-of-war is the best ambassador." - Oliver Cromwell

• happytklzhappytklz Member Posts: 128

Ogh, me big man, me no carebear, me play HARD video game, me risk my fake stuff, me like blow things up real good. 

That's the picture the eve fanbase, as represented on mmorpg, presents to the gaming world.  So, whatever, don't be surprised if a lot of us are not attracted.  Personally, I found it dull and unimaginative, haveing none of the traits of good sci-fi, particularly no vision of alternative motivations and cultural norms... everybody is after the same thing. 

I am part of a low-sec PvP, okay, pirate, corp.  Generally, our M.O. is to either go on solo or group roams or to probe out mission runners in hopes of engaging in PvP and ransoming ships/pods if  the opportunity presents itself.

When I go online I spend a few minutes erading new emails and greeting my corpmates.  Then I will find out if any fleets are running (if I haven't already been invited to one by then) and either join a fleet for some group operation or just undock and go soloing, about 75% of the time I join a fleet though.

The rest of the time I spend in one form or another of PvP, or looking for it.

Eventually, I lose enough ships that I need  to make a trip to Jita for ships/supplies.  Since my main has a -9.something sec status I use a hauler alt (which I trained in a little over a day) for this.  So, once every week or two a session will be spent on this rather than PvP.

My corp is pretty social, so there is always some interesting chat taking place, either text or voice, so, even if things are not to active PvP-wise, there is always something interesting to be involved in.

• Originally posted by Enkindu

Kordesh, it's obvious from a quick review of your posts in this forum that you are angry at Eve, the people who play it, or both.  While this seems like a huge and pointless waste of your time and energy to me, I assume you have your reasons.  Whatever, I don't care. Here's the thing:
    Eve does not have a "horrible" community.  All through my time in Eve I've met people willing to go out of their way to help me, and I do the same for others all the time.  What you don't seem to be comprehending is that the community in eve has absolutely no sympathy for whiners.  We KNOW the game is hard and unfair and that mean evil people can be as mean and evil as they want to in the game.  This is by design and we LIKE IT LIKE THAT.  Eve is intense because of the realism you experience in human interaction.  I am a whitehat in the game- I hate piracy and scammers and do everything in my power to fight this "virtual evil" and to help those who are compassionate and kind.  HOWEVER, that "quest" would be hollow for me if not for the difficulty of being a good guy in a world with a lot of "bad."
    What you are percieving as elitism is actually frustration with people constantly stating the obvious and wanting to change something that is perfectly fine the way it is..  we KNOW Eve is cold and hard.. we clawed our way up through the ranks (we were all noobs once too).  No one gave us handouts.. we all had our first cruisers shot out from under us and got podded with heads full of implants that we couldn't afford.. that's Eve.. if you GET it, you live and learn and move on.  If you can handle that, you gain the respect of the Community.  If you piss and moan about how mean and unfair it is even nice guys like me will be tempted to make fun of you.
    I don't know how better to explain Eve to you.  If you don't like it, great move on and have a nice day.. but don't call a community "horrible" that you've obviously never really cared to join.
    I'm about as far from elitist as a person can get, but fair warning: posts like the ones you've made recently in this forum leave me with the impression that you really don't get it.

Enkindu well said, please allow me to expound.

Kordesh...The community of EvE Online resembles a large dysfunctional family,a streetgang if you will.

Have you ever seen a streetgang haze a new recruit? If you have,then you will know that it is a brutal and bloody affair.If you can take it and stand tall you will become a member of the gang/family. So it is the same in EvE.

It is "survival of the fittest" not elitism.

Some points about the community that you may not know....

What MMORPG developer hosts an annual Fanfest at their corporate HQ(not some game expo,or con)where players,friend or foe,can meet and toast each other over a pint.

SirMolle a major mover and shaker in the player community hosts an annual BBQ and keg party at his home in his country,for his corporation.

The infamous pirate Verone,is RP'd as a psychotic prick...do you think the guy who plays him in the RL is really like that....hardly. Read his forum posts he is very helpful.

Chribba,hands down the most well know miner and one of the most benevolent players in the game...and he plays solo by choice....yet he has probably done more for the community than any player that has ever played the game.

Does this little slice of the community sound horrible?

Sure we fight,what brothers don't?Only a fool however would attempt to get between us,because we will turn on you.

C'mon back we will kick your ass,steal your stuff and belittle your manhood,IF you can take it ,join a good gang and then do your best to give back exactly what you have been given.  pass or fail you will be part of the family.

In conclusion,the community of EvE is not PC and the liberal progressive,bleedingheart,treehugger types just don't "get it" sorry..it is that simple really.

(NOTE: I am not implying my beliefs about you or your character with the above statement.)

Cheers

All in all, several months and 10million skill points later, my Eve experience consisted of either waiting, prepping, or grinding. Not once did I even get to lock another ship let alone fire on it.

How do you expect us to help you with this?  Eve is about problem solving ability.  If you feel there is a problem, solve it through innovation, hard work, or brute force.. whatever.  You have posted massive volumes of material in this forum and the only reasonable response to you is this:  Eve is not for you! 

It's OK.. seriously, no one is judging you for not liking Eve.  The constant  negative posting and misinformation you are spreading here are a little unfair to those who might be trying to decide whether or not to try the game. 

Hell, I had a ton of fun with a character that was a week old, wrote about it in this post. I admit I've been enjoying reading and responding to your posts a bit more than I should.. maybe that is your goal and I'm playing into your hands.  Enough time wasted though.. Eve represents a fantastically deep and rewarding gaming expericence for many of us here and it might be a perfect fit for many of the people dropping by to browse this forum.  Why not quit clouding the issue and simply sum up all of your posts to this point with the simple phrase "I don't like Eve and I don't understand why people do?"

To the rest of the forum community a question: If you "block" the trolls here will it keep their posts from appearing?

Originally posted by Jackarro

In conclusion,the community of EvE is not PC and the liberal progressive,bleedingheart,treehugger types just don't "get it" sorry..it is that simple really.

Jack, thanks for you kind words..

Your post is going to help me make another point about the Eve community.  I AM a liberal, progressive, bleeding heart, tree-hugger (in real life and in Eve).  The Eve community is also quite diverse : )

Originally posted by Enkindu

All in all, several months and 10million skill points later, my Eve experience consisted of either waiting, prepping, or grinding. Not once did I even get to lock another ship let alone fire on it.

How do you expect us to help you with this?  Eve is about problem solving ability.  If you feel there is a problem, solve it through innovation, hard work, or brute force.. whatever.  You have posted massive volumes of material in this forum and the only reasonable response to you is this:  Eve is not for you! 

It's OK.. seriously, no one is judging you for not liking Eve.  The constant  negative posting and misinformation you are spreading here are a little unfair to those who might be trying to decide whether or not to try the game. 

Hell, I had a ton of fun with a character that was a week old, wrote about it in this post. I admit I've been enjoying reading and responding to your posts a bit more than I should.. maybe that is your goal and I'm playing into your hands.  Enough time wasted though.. Eve represents a fantastically deep and rewarding gaming expericence for many of us here and it might be a perfect fit for many of the people dropping by to browse this forum.  Why not quit clouding the issue and simply sum up all of your posts to this point with the simple phrase "I don't like Eve and I don't understand why people do?"

To the rest of the forum community a question: If you "block" the trolls here will it keep their posts from appearing?

Actually to be honest I was hoping to pop up this poll, get my answers, and be done with it, but I keep getting reeled back to either defend or explain myself with the replies /=

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• EverithEverith Member CommonPosts: 482

I play well over 6-7 a week. I mean between my xbox my ps3, ps2 and handheld systems including all the games on steam I play multiplayer like TF2 L4d and CS:S deffinitly not a 1 game is my life kinda guy.

• happytklzhappytklz Member Posts: 128

Yep, the progressives don't get it, you're right, and there's a reason for that:  the attitude and behavior, over the abstraction of fake money, is about as much fun in the fake world as in the real world.  But you know what, better you work out your problems in the game.  The poster who points out that the eve base is diverse is of course correct, any group of 250,000 people is diverse.  In the words of the group of "carebear" haters (isn't that word kind of like "communist" was in the 50's to these people?) who post on mmorpg, however, I can definitely see a pattern, and it ain't pretty.  You either A: lack power in the real world, and so substitute the eve experience for real accomplishment, or B: you just like putting other people down (go ahead, dress it up anyway you like, that's what it is), which makes you, again, deeply unattractive.  This SEGMENT (I stress, not the totality or even the majority) of eve players is the single biggest reason eve remains at basically the same level of subscribers.  Face it, you guys like it that way, so why on earth would you try to convince everybody it's so great? 

Again, though, I think the biggest FLAW in eve ( as distinct from the social angle whch suppresses interest from casual onlookers) is the lack of imagination: in the art design, the imagined culture, and the built-in motivations of different factions.  These are the cornerstones of good sci-fi.  Without these things, y'all might just as well be rollin dice and addin up numbers. 

• RayalistRayalist Member Posts: 211
    Originally posted by happytklz

Yep, the progressives don't get it, you're right, and there's a reason for that:  the attitude and behavior, over the abstraction of fake money, is about as much fun in the fake world as in the real world.  But you know what, better you work out your problems in the game.  The poster who points out that the eve base is diverse is of course correct, any group of 250,000 people is diverse.  In the words of the group of "carebear" haters (isn't that word kind of like "communist" was in the 50's to these people?) who post on mmorpg, however, I can definitely see a pattern, and it ain't pretty.  You either A: lack power in the real world, and so substitute the eve experience for real accomplishment, or B: you just like putting other people down (go ahead, dress it up anyway you like, that's what it is), which makes you, again, deeply unattractive.  This SEGMENT (I stress, not the totality or even the majority) of eve players is the single biggest reason eve remains at basically the same level of subscribers.  Face it, you guys like it that way, so why on earth would you try to convince everybody it's so great? 
    Again, though, I think the biggest FLAW in eve ( as distinct from the social angle whch suppresses interest from casual onlookers) is the lack of imagination: in the art design, the imagined culture, and the built-in motivations of different factions.  These are the cornerstones of good sci-fi.  Without these things, y'all might just as well be rollin dice and addin up numbers. 

Clearly you're superior to me in every way so please enlighten a simpleton such as myself:

Why are you here in the EVE sub forum complaining about EVE players enjoying EVE, instead of off being happy with your greater intellect?

• Originally posted by Enkindu

Originally posted by Jackarro

Jack, thanks for you kind words..

Your post is going to help me make another point about the Eve community.  I AM a liberal, progressive, bleeding heart, tree-hugger (in real life and in Eve).  The Eve community is also quite diverse : )

hehe!....touche

Diversity,yet another check in the positive column for the EvE community.

• Originally posted by happytklz

Face it, you guys like it that way, so why on earth would you try to convince everybody it's so great? 

Drop it,you don't like it our way,so why on earth do try to convince everybody it is so flawed?

What need or purpose do you serve with your activism?

Cheers

NOTE: It has been my observation that the "casual onlookers" at my neighborhood buffet avoid the "culinary angle" of liver and onions(Mmm) yet I have not seen in my local paper or on the evening news an in depth psychoanalysis of the dining patrons(ME) of said buffet that actually enjoy what many consider to be a revolting dish.