Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO is about to die !

2»

Comments

• MangoStarMangoStar Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by majinant

Originally posted by MangoStar

Originally posted by majinant

Darkfail!

fixed

fixed!

fixxed again

PC Specs:
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 2.6GH
    DDR2 Ram: 2G
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT 512MB

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

There are more MMO's under development now than ever before, why all the doom & gloom?

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

The "eureka!" MMO moment is not going to happen. MMOs are an evolution. They develop over time. There will not be an MMO that comes along and blows everyone's skirts up at once. There will indeed be MMOs that innovate, but there will not be one that consists almost solely of new features. 

Over time these features will lead to very different games to what we're playing today. As technology progresses companies will start to focus on storylines, graphics, soundtracks, immersion etc. in order to hook players. This is simply due to there being a limit to innovation. I'm not worried about getting bored with MMOs as a result. 

I'm also sure we'll see the deserving games surface out of the sea that is the current MMO world. Less companies will try to hop onto the bandwagon as the market becomes more and more popular. Today you may have a player new to the MMO world, but in future I can assure you in many cases that player after playing a high-quality P2P MMO will not easily go back to playing an (often) un-polished free to play game. This is still a long way away though, as the gaming world is growing fast and there is literally millions upon millions of potential players out there. Keep in mind that broadband is only in its infant stage in almost all countries. Whilst the internet may be large, broadband penetration isn't huge. 

• caemsgcaemsg Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by Sanguinia
    Originally posted by declaredemer
    Originally posted by erkinbaba Is there any company/privateers vs. still exists to finance/get risks  for a production of a new MMO, after recent failures in 2008, possibly in 2009 ( not giving you a title for 2009 ) ?

It is more risky to copy-and-paste WoW and change the characters' names, a few things here and there than it is to create a
    • Deep
    • Immersion
    • World WE GOT WoW - THIS IS NOT A LIE OR AN EXAGGERATION WE DO NOT WANT ANOTHER WoW - WE ALREADY GOT IT! A NEW MMORPG MUST DISTINGUISH ITSELF FROM THE STANDARD, INNOVATE, BUT ALSO COPY ACCESSIBILITY FEATURES
      • Accessibility w/ complexity
      • Accessibility w/ depth
      • Simplicity w/ sophisticationEdit:  Many people are playing WoW as a "hanger-on" until "something better comes out."  But if the so-called new game is WoW-like, why leave?  Why spend a year, if not more, for essentially the same experience you can get in WoW? The answer is that people are ready, willing, prepared, and able to handle a deep world immersion experience MMORPG: Customization Questing Innovation Player-empowerment Evolving world Player-controlled gods (they themselves can become a god as a special class unlock)

It is harder to take a slice from WoW's pie than to simply enlarge the pie

"Player-Controlled Gods"? Ugh. MMOs are NOT RPGs! Some 17 year old brat with the power to alter my game experience? No thanks. And if the Gods didn't have that kind of power, why call them Gods? You could just as easily call them Death Knights. Or Kheldians. Anyway, that's the idea I didn't like.
    As for everything else, not everyone who plays WoW is waiting for the "next big thing". In fact, my best friend refuses to play another mmo. He says he doesn't care how good a game it is once he's done with WoW, he's done with mmos. I guess he just dosen't want to devote more time to another mmo. And me, I'm not really looking to leave WoW. I play other games too, mind you. But I haven't seen a reason to cross WoW off my list. I keep my LoTR & CoX accounts for days I feel in the mood for something different. [I'm spoiled]

well SQO has player controlled factions where a player is the president of a faction and controls the budget available to that factions military controls has access to the sub factions attached to the faction the companies and corporations and what while haveing gods is silly IMO haveing the players in a faction the choice between an NPC leader or a PC leader for their faction i am sure you will find the players will vote for the PC

also there are plenty of games out there People are just too stupid or shallow to find/look at them

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

"Player-Controlled Gods"? Ugh. MMOs are NOT RPGs! Some 17 year old brat with the power to alter my game experience? No thanks. And if the Gods didn't have that kind of power, why call them Gods? You could just as easily call them Death Knights. Or Kheldians. Anyway, that's the idea I didn't like.

In some muds, the endgame was access to the tools to create new areas / monsters.  It may not work with 3D RPG's, but was working with text ones.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Why do you have to appeal to the masses? Because you have such a large investment you must gain a large subscription base to make your money back.

But what if you could make an MMORPG for much less? You could take more risk, you'd need less subscriptions to be successful and profitable. You could be quite happy with SWG pre-CU numbers.

The cost of production is going down. The Engines are just now being made and released. We have yet to see the first game released made with the Hero Engine. Simutronics was going to make Hero's Journey. Then they get an offer to sell the Engine to the developers of The Old Republic, and finish the features they want in the Engine instead. They said yes.

But if you read the Simutronics interview, the lead dev of the Hero Engine says they had to keep their mouth shut about TOR for a long time, but now they can talk about it. AND, he said, well there are at least nine (9) more deals like this I can't talk about right now.

Once the Hero Engine sells enough licenses, they've made their money back, tnhey can lower the price of the Enigne. What if someone sees that the Hero Engine made millions of dollars, and they make a competing Engine?

It means you won't need a huge dev team to make a game Engine before you can even start making the game. You can hire world builders, scripters, and game system designers, and get a bunch of inexpensive animation and modeling done in China or Korea. I've thought this was coming for some time, but I think you'll see the cost to develop an MMORPG go way down, which means even more games, not less. Have to wait and see how TOR does, and what Hero's Journey looks like. But if you look at the Hero Engine, you can make a Darkfall or SWG pre-CU clone with that thing in two years from start to release.

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

The idea of MMO's with budgets of more than $20 million with a $15 a month subscription, I will agree to will die out.  However MMO's as a whole will not.  Actually, there will be more MMO's made available with less budgets and a lower cost to the customers.  This does not mean that those MMO's will be crappy (well some or a lot will, but not all); rather that technology is becoming available to allow Independent Developers to work with a small budget and distribute directly to the customer without going through a publisher.

We are seeing some of the pioneers now and give it less then 5 years, there will be more.

Have hope, Indies will blind-side this industry, even during an economic downturn...  which is actually the best time of opportunity for small businesses (if a business can make money during a recession...).

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• Gammit100Gammit100 Member UncommonPosts: 439

I think MMO developers and publishers need to look at Eve online as a great model to follow (even though I hate the game myself).  Develop solid core game that's not too big but (here's where my favorite - Planetside - failed) has clear plans and room for future content, REALLY listen to the community, and slowly build a following based on a solid game and great customer support.

Imagine if Tabula Rasa had focused more on its core gameplay but only with one world (to start).  Imagine if Planetside began with less bugs, and a map that was easy to change (land and bases).

MMO games played or tested: EQ, DAoC, Archlord, Auto Assault, CoH, CoV, EQ2, EVE, Guild Wars, Hellgate: London, Linneage II, LOTRO, MxO, Planetside, SWG, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, WWIIOL, WOW, Age of Conan

• VapiantVapiant Member Posts: 56

SE's Codename: Rapture will maybe also be good, it should be alot like FFXIII and come out at the same time, they used more than 3 years on it already, so it will be soon. FFXII was a little bit new rpg style and FFXIII should have it's own style, SE is not a copy company and creates good games so I would say, will save you.

There's always I chance for something new and exciting to happen, so I can always wait until tomorrow.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372

If Bioware/Bizzard's newest entries fail to be commercially successful, I think we might see a retreat from the latest trend to spend tons of cash to make an MMO.

But theres places in the world where these games cost less to make, and we'll keep seeing titles comeing from there. 

Eventually, they'll even be good.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558
    Originally posted by Sanguinia

What is with all the cries of "doom"? Nothing is dead. There's too much money to be made to stop now. And somebody will get something right, eventually. However, if anybody finds absolutely nothing fun about the mmos currently on the market or even in betas, then you should probably find yourself a different type of game to play. MMOs were made with a very specific carrot on a stick mentality. And I don't see that changing at all. I'm not saying that's good or bad. I'll have my fun either way.

Yah, there is just too many emo types posting around the forums.

• VishiAnandVishiAnand Member Posts: 239

too many new mmos with nothing special to offer to players. these kind of mmos only replicates what they see in WoW or other good mmo out there. no wonder they will die out soon.

• ZeiyanZeiyan Member Posts: 27

I want a new mmo. Something fresh and bright for everyone to dive into. I am going to wait for Star Wars: The Old Republic, and if thats anything like wow or lotro or war.... then god help bioware because i will personally write them a letter tellling them how very very angry I am ... but back to the point. its true mmo's are quite dead at the moment there is nothing amazing about them these days. Do YOU remember the first time u played an mmo? How deeply you sank into its world. well i can and no mmo does it for me today. Its all well and good complaining but the fact is we shouldnt have to. If todays gaming is that advanced we shouldnt even have to post this many replies.