Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO is about to die !

erkinbabaerkinbaba Member UncommonPosts: 79

Is there any company/privateers vs. still exists to finance/get risks  for a production of a new MMO, after recent failures in 2008, possibly in 2009 ( not giving you a title for 2009 ) ? What do you think, is there any  ( out of Korea ) ?

I think MMO industry is going deep as it can, no doubt. Anyone looking for a good MMO,  will have to wait for 10 more years to some one shows up and put his/her brain onto desk and says "Euraka", and hopefully get the idea how to entertain people in MMOs. Damn I'm too old to see that happening.

Show me the light or keep your silence forever. We all MMOers doomed.

Comments

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Darkfall!

• bboneheaddbboneheadd Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by erkinbaba

Is there any company/privateers vs. still exists to finance/get risks  for a production of a new MMO, after recent failures in 2008, possibly in 2009 ( not giving you a title for 2009 ) ? What do you think, is there any  ( out of Korea ) ?
    I think MMO industry is going deep as it can, no doubt. Anyone looking for a good MMO,  will have to wait for 10 more years to some one shows up and put his/her brain onto desk and says "Euraka", and hopefully get the idea how to entertain people in MMOs. Damn I'm too old to see that happening.

Well blizzard are making a new mmo and I'm pretty sure threre in no financial trouble + Theres already a handfull of mmo's to be released this year that look promising, so hopefully 09 will be good year for mmo's :)

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I think some companies may be a bit more afraid of making a MMO after the mediocre doings of AoC and WAR. If The Old Republic doesn't do well I think it might worsen the case by a fair amount also. Although, as long as companies are making profits even if not on WoW scale, I think MMOs will continue to be made.

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905
    Originally posted by jusomdude

I think some companies may be a bit more afraid of making a MMO after the mediocre doings of AoC and WAR. If The Old Republic doesn't do well I think it might worsen the case by a fair amount also. Although, as long as companies are making profits even if not on WoW scale, I think MMOs will continue to be made.

If BioWare fails making a game...urck to scary to think about. They're too good at making games.

• erkinbabaerkinbaba Member UncommonPosts: 79

Your sentence which I coloured, makes me feel bad.That is what I'm afraid of. Shit loads of MMOs and shit loads of unhappy MMOers.

Well, I bet somewhere around here in public discussion already mentioned, we need a MMO, not copy-paste and add some graphic MMOs. That was my original concern. As I said, I guess I won't be around to see that "long waited diamond"

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

Your sentence which I coloured, makes me feel bad.That is what I'm afraid of. Shit loads of MMOs and shit loads of unhappy MMOers.

Well, I bet somewhere around here in public discussion already mentioned, we need a MMO, not copy-paste and add some graphic MMOs. That was my original concern. As I said, I guess I won't be around to see that "long waited diamond"

People will always be unhappy. They are just more vocal on this site. It isn't as big as people make it out to be. Yah...it's enough to take notice and maybe grab at this niche market, but if you are going big...you will want to try and get as many people as possible. Hardcore Old-School games do not appeal to the casuals who dominate the genre.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

Originally posted by bboneheadd

Well blizzard are making a new mmo and I'm pretty sure threre in no financial trouble + Theres already a handfull of mmo's to be released this year that look promising, so hopefully 09 will be good year for mmo's :)

No doubt that Blizzard will succeed if they deliver something fresh. "Fresh" is the keyword. And I see no "fresh" mmos coming in 2009. Even from Blizzard around 2010. BTW, Blizzard is another story.

• MangoStarMangoStar Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by majinant

Darkfail!

fixed

PC Specs:
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 2.6GH
    DDR2 Ram: 2G
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT 512MB

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346

The United States used to have over 300 car companies.  Now we have three, and likely soon to be two.  What happened?  Did people stop driving cars?  Are there not vastly more Americans driving cars then there were a century ago, and hence vastly more money to be made at producing cars?

Did everyone quit playing MMOs?  Are there not more people playing MMOs than, say, 5 years ago?  So long as there are players willing to put billions of dollars per year into the industry, there will be a lot of money to be made by making such games.  Therefore, there will be companies trying to make money at it.

Making an MMORPG is a high risk, high upside prospect, as is all computer software, for that matter.  Investors know that it's likely that they won't even break even.  If you get a big hit, you can make such exorbitant amounts of money that it's worth the investment, at least for some.

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by MangoStar

Darkfall!

fixed

fixed!

Originally posted by Capn23

People will always be unhappy. They are just more vocal on this site. It isn't as big as people make it out to be. Yah...it's enough to take notice and maybe grab at this niche market, but if you are going big...you will want to try and get as many people as possible. Hardcore Old-School games do not appeal to the casuals who dominate the genre.

Every MMO makes people happy/unhappy. Thats we cant argue. Player choices; we cant argue that too.

Problem here, no game company trying to do "fit" a players expectations. I dont want to take this convo to another aspect ( what players want ) but , we all, MMOers, hardcore or casual or whatever need to have fun. We are not getting fun anymore. All games we know/play are same some way. That was the point of my original post. MMOs dying. No fresh meat to eat. I'm veteran EvE pilot, since EvE is a great game but I need something refreshing. Just tired of  all these MMOs out there. Well, since I'm no producer or owner of giant development company, I'm stuck with these copy-paste games. That makes me nervous.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

Darkfail!

fixed

Don't for get the first expansion:

Darkfail: The Secret of Vaporware

Originally posted by Quizzical

Making an MMORPG is a high risk, high upside prospect, as is all computer software, for that matter.  Investors know that it's likely that they won't even break even.  If you get a big hit, you can make such exorbitant amounts of money that it's worth the investment, at least for some.

Investing into games, yeah, just like playing a rullet. But ! But you need that ball into "0". But, oh.. Wait, thats  not a gamble ! Its a business, unlike some other industries you have to deliver something working in MMO industry ! If not, your ball goes to number "xx" and you're doomed. And that spinner ( dont know what its name ) never spins for you again if you're out of money.

In MMO industry  we are the "ball " aka "the players", we choose where to ... ermm... hmm... you got the idea...

Originally posted by cfurlin

Darkfail!

fixed

Don't hijack the frackin thread

But who cares, its tooo late now

• SanguiniaSanguinia Member Posts: 235

What is with all the cries of "doom"? Nothing is dead. There's too much money to be made to stop now. And somebody will get something right, eventually. However, if anybody finds absolutely nothing fun about the mmos currently on the market or even in betas, then you should probably find yourself a different type of game to play. MMOs were made with a very specific carrot on a stick mentality. And I don't see that changing at all. I'm not saying that's good or bad. I'll have my fun either way.

What Happened With SWG Went Down YEARS AGO! Please Try To Stop Whining About It In Every Thread I Read. Mourn It, And Finally MOVE ON With Your Lives! Thanks A Heap.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

Originally posted by cfurlin

Darkfail!

fixed

Don't hijack the frackin thread

But who cares, its tooo late now

Please, it was OT on the second post.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

a game does not need to be a smash hit in order to be successful, after all from an investors point of view all the game has to do is make a profit and so far i have yet to hear of any games to not make a profit.

as far as the future goes, a few problems wont scare off investors (just look at Oil for example) and if you actually look at the MMO market (including all the non AAA titles and the Asian market) it is infact quite strong and is improving all the time.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

There is still many intresting games in development, like Guildwars 2, Mortal online, World of darkness online, TOR and more...

But some companies will surely disapear, others will form. At least the devs seems to have stopped making games that are almost like Wow, I think when MMOs hit the consoles soon we see a big boom of MMO players instead of a dying. But MMOs will surely change in the future.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by Capn23

Going big just doesn't work in my opinion. Turbine, Mythic and Funcom tried that. Out of those three Turbine probably has done the best and it is far from going big. I think it's fair to say that New-School easy directed content games don't appeal much to casual gamers too as they just aren't sticking around in going big numbers, be it in a poorly made game like AoC or a reasonably well polished game like LOTRO. The New-School game flag-bearer is WoW and it looks to me like those folks who like that type game in the majority are sticking with WoW. They may try a new released game, but then shortly return to WoW in the majority (as WoW keep gainng subscriptions).

In my mind niche (200-500K subscriptions since most people want to bring up WoW's numbers; personally I don't think 200-500K is niche) is the what to shoot for and the way to go. Blaze a new trail and offer something new. That many subscription (200-500k) should be more than enough to turn a decent profit especially if you're offering something that they don't get in WoW or the rest of the New School games.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• luckturtzluckturtz Member Posts: 422

What ever. This is stupid subject here is why mmo are not going anywhere

Fallout is 49.99 for a one time purchase

Darkfall will probably be 49.99 for a one time purchase plus for 14.99 a month

Fallout is going to sell more copies but even darkfall is a flop at worse they made you spend 64.98 on game.Let pretend fallout sells 100 copies and darkfall sells 50 copies lets see what they make Fallout 4,999 dollars and Darkfall 3,247 dollars.Let pretend you play Darkfall for a year you will have spent 229.87  dollars on one game.How much extra money has the fallout game made in that period ? Yes is that right zero dollars.

Also pretend game makers of darkfall was smart enough in the proccess making to cut what they where making in half to release at later date.Let say a year later the decide to release content as a expansion at 39.99.Most people playing the game buy expansion they make even more money.

A good mmorpg will eventually make as money as great Rpg game

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

2008 was a bad year for MMOs in deed (TBH I've never seen so much crap in one year...), but using that and the current worldwide economic crisis as a doom scenario is kinda odd... You should keep in mind that the avarage development time for an MMO is 3 years. So things that will be released this year have seen the light of creation in 2006...

IMO, in 2011/2012 we'll see the effect of the current economic crisis. Plainly because the funds to start new games won't be widely available. Only the big developers (Blizzard, NCSoft and CCP to name a few) have enough financial powers to develop something major at the moment, while the smaller studios will hear a lot of "NO" from the banks...

About titles to be released... I think 2009 will be better (compared to 2008)... We'll have Aion, Priston Tale II, Darkfall and Jumpgate Evolution, just to name a few realy promising titles...

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381

I think the MMO market will be just fine.  The growing pains you're seeing now is natural in such a relatively new industry.  The market is diversifying with new players looking for a niche while the big boys slug it out at the top.  Compare it to movies if you will...everything from indie films to blockbusters.  You're seeing smaller, lower budget games that cater to a specific audience on the low-end and on the top end you see companies with huge resource bases buying into what's left of the lucrative licenses (or leveraging their own) and pouring huge sums of money into their games...some succesfully (WOW, LOTRO), most not so much (AOC, WAR, SWG, EQII).

Whats important here is to remember that success in measured much differently depending on which end of the spectrum you're competing.  Back to the movies...$100M at the box office for a film like Fireproof would be considered a monumental success.   For Ironman it would ruin each and every person involved and possibly the entire studio.

It's all a matter of perspective....eventually it will sort itself out and most people will be able to find a game that appeals to them with relative ease...just like the movies.  After all you don't see a whole heck of alot of people going to see Sex and the City and complaining there aren't enough gun fights, car chases, or fist fights.

• declaredemerdeclaredemer Member Posts: 2,698

Is there any company/privateers vs. still exists to finance/get risks  for a production of a new MMO, after recent failures in 2008, possibly in 2009 ( not giving you a title for 2009 ) ?

It is more risky to copy-and-paste WoW and change the characters' names, a few things here and there than it is to create a

• Deep
    • Immersion
    • World

WE GOT WoW - THIS IS NOT A LIE OR AN EXAGGERATION

WE DO NOT WANT ANOTHER WoW - WE ALREADY GOT IT!

A NEW MMORPG MUST DISTINGUISH ITSELF FROM THE STANDARD, INNOVATE, BUT ALSO COPY ACCESSIBILITY FEATURES

• Accessibility w/ complexity
    • Accessibility w/ depth
    • Simplicity w/ sophistication

Edit:  Many people are playing WoW as a "hanger-on" until "something better comes out."  But if the so-called new game is WoW-like, why leave?  Why spend a year, if not more, for essentially the same experience you can get in WoW?

The answer is that people are ready, willing, prepared, and able to handle a deep world immersion experience MMORPG:

• Customization
    • Questing
    • Innovation
      • Player-empowerment
      • Evolving world
      • Player-controlled gods (they themselves can become a god as a special class unlock)

It is harder to take a slice from WoW's pie than to simply enlarge the pie

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by luckturtz

What ever. This is stupid subject here is why mmo are not going anywhere

Fallout is 49.99 for a one time purchase
    Darkfall will probably be 49.99 for a one time purchase plus for 14.99 a month

Fallout is going to sell more copies but even darkfall is a flop at worse they made you spend 64.98 on game.Let pretend fallout sells 100 copies and darkfall sells 50 copies lets see what they make Fallout 4,999 dollars and Darkfall 3,247 dollars.Let pretend you play Darkfall for a year you will have spent 229.87  dollars on one game.How much extra money has the fallout game made in that period ? Yes is that right zero dollars.
    Also pretend game makers of darkfall was smart enough in the proccess making to cut what they where making in half to release at later date.Let say a year later the decide to release content as a expansion at 39.99.Most people playing the game buy expansion they make even more money.
    A good mmorpg will eventually make as money as great Rpg game

Except when Fallout 3 is released the developers can start on another game and don't have to devote an entire staff to Fallout 3 (maybe a little bit of focus for patches, major bug, and technical fixes).

When Darkfall is released in that hypothetical situation they are going to have to place a lot of their staff on working on the game.  An MMO is constantly in development even after it's released.  They are going to have people producing new content, working out bug fixes, and technical and in game support.  The upkeep of keeping an MMO running is far greater than a game like Fallout 3.  Don't forget that Darkfall is an online game and Fallout 3 isn't, so be sure to add server and bandwidth costs to that (which are huge).  If Darkfall wanted to be as successful a money maker as Fallout 3 they would probably have to sell as much copies AND keep that subscriber base.

• SanguiniaSanguinia Member Posts: 235
    Originally posted by declaredemer

Is there any company/privateers vs. still exists to finance/get risks  for a production of a new MMO, after recent failures in 2008, possibly in 2009 ( not giving you a title for 2009 ) ?

It is more risky to copy-and-paste WoW and change the characters' names, a few things here and there than it is to create a

• Deep
    • Immersion
    • World

WE GOT WoW - THIS IS NOT A LIE OR AN EXAGGERATION

WE DO NOT WANT ANOTHER WoW - WE ALREADY GOT IT!

A NEW MMORPG MUST DISTINGUISH ITSELF FROM THE STANDARD, INNOVATE, BUT ALSO COPY ACCESSIBILITY FEATURES

• Accessibility w/ complexity
    • Accessibility w/ depth
    • Simplicity w/ sophistication

Edit:  Many people are playing WoW as a "hanger-on" until "something better comes out."  But if the so-called new game is WoW-like, why leave?  Why spend a year, if not more, for essentially the same experience you can get in WoW?

The answer is that people are ready, willing, prepared, and able to handle a deep world immersion experience MMORPG:

• Customization
    • Questing
    • Innovation
      • Player-empowerment
      • Evolving world
      • Player-controlled gods (they themselves can become a god as a special class unlock)

It is harder to take a slice from WoW's pie than to simply enlarge the pie

"Player-Controlled Gods"? Ugh. MMOs are NOT RPGs! Some 17 year old brat with the power to alter my game experience? No thanks. And if the Gods didn't have that kind of power, why call them Gods? You could just as easily call them Death Knights. Or Kheldians. Anyway, that's the idea I didn't like.

As for everything else, not everyone who plays WoW is waiting for the "next big thing". In fact, my best friend refuses to play another mmo. He says he doesn't care how good a game it is once he's done with WoW, he's done with mmos. I guess he just dosen't want to devote more time to another mmo. And me, I'm not really looking to leave WoW. I play other games too, mind you. But I haven't seen a reason to cross WoW off my list. I keep my LoTR & CoX accounts for days I feel in the mood for something different. [I'm spoiled]

What Happened With SWG Went Down YEARS AGO! Please Try To Stop Whining About It In Every Thread I Read. Mourn It, And Finally MOVE ON With Your Lives! Thanks A Heap.