Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will you move on.

2»

Comments

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344

You know people, you don't have to quote the entire comment or, in many cases on this thread, all the previous comments to address one or two points in a post.

I feel like I'm reading "War and Peace"

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by sorcielle

Originally posted by templarga

Originally posted by templarga

The interesting thing with WOW has never been "Will you move on?". Heck, I moved on to AOC, WAR, Vanguard, and other games.
    The question with WOW has always been: WHEN will you come back?
    I said, prior to AOC and WAR, that I played Wow for the final time. However, while playing those games, they never, EVER compared to or surpassed WOW for me. I was always using WOW as the benchmark for me.
    I hope Aion, Darkfall and whatever games a lot of success but seriously, the question is if and when will people start comparing them to WOW and if they are truly better.

Originally posted by zorndorff
    As seen on Xfire these days, most will never leave Wow for good in the coming years.
    Perhaps taking a break, but the game just keeps getting better with new added twists.
    30 minutes of Wow PvP is all a man needs to suck you back into the game and since WotLK offers 5 different options in PvP (Winter - Bg's - Arena - daily pvp quests - City raids) in 3 different variations (tank/artillery/siege - grand tactical - skirmish), WotLK is the only formula of ...
    A MMORPG with RTS elements (remember the bombardments of Keeps in WC3) and FPS.
    Take in 10 complete different classes with good 3 branches 61 levels deep and you can play the end game for the next 2 decades IF you want to follow the progress of your avatar's gear and skills.
    Even Warcraft 3 stays in the top 10 of most played PC games, so it is obvious Wow keeps its place.
    It is an MMOG game : multi mass online global game system and it long surpassed the limited mmorpg forms of old times.
    I think the next MMORPG of Blizzard will take into account all they've learned from Wow. Forget the standard leveling quests of old mmorpg's for the future projects of Blizz.
    For hose interested: have fun in Aion, but in the western world it will be very very niche. If you want 50K players and "feel" this is good: no problem.
    But I rather talk with people in RL who all play the same game and discuss tactics. Something the game community needs more than anything else.

Could you two please not spam post one thread with your fanobyism? WOW is not what it was... and STOP MAKING EVERY THREAD "WOW IS BEST GAME EVER!"

I for one rather like AOC, and am also intrigued by AION. I did come back for Wotlk but the shine has rapidly worn off.  The community has absolutely tanked.

I am really hoping one of these games will bring back the specialization of different classes, so you would never want to run a dungeon with duplicate classes. I miss that alot. It seems AION might be this way.

Did I say it was the best game ever? No. The point I was making is the reason WOW continues to have a player population beyond that of ANY other game on the market is because players keep coming back to WOW. I cannot explain it and others cannot explain it either but there is *something* about WOW that keeps bringing back a lot of players.

Every game that launched and was supposed to be a WOW killer (AOC and WAR for example) took massive amounts of population; but within months WOW's population not only returned, it increased. Explain that. YOU even admit to liking AOC but trying out WotLK as well. That is the point I was making.

For me, WOW is fun. Period. I do not have to explain it and no need to defend it. I find the game fun, it runs well, I like the graphics (realism is SO over-rated), my friends play, I am in a great guild, I can play just a couple hours a night (at the most) and get stuff done,etc....; therefore the game is fun. And until another game, just as fun, comes out, then WOW will continue to get returning players (like me) to come back.

I did not spam post and I definately am not a fanboi (of any game right now - I play what I find enjoyable). The topic at hand is "will you move on" and I addressed said topic by stating that, for WOW, the question is never will you move on (because players do) but if and when will you return.

Hey Templarga - Thanks for your even-handed reply. If you read Zorndorf's earlier response, you can see where my trolling is aimed at.

If you want to see people bashing a game, holding on to old grudge's etc.. look no further than AOC forums. I have never seen people hate a company so much.. you would think funcom stole their house and girlfriend, and set fire to their dog... as opposed to 'scamming them' out of $50. Which really shows the maturity level of a lot of posters, cuz $50 is meh. I can blow that in two hours easy at a bar with friends. So it is all relative.

The thing I don't like is no one ever marketed AOC or WAR as a WOW killer.. that is our own collective dementia, hoping that they will be that, because WOW has grown stale. I went into WAR with higher expectations, and was severely disappointed.. they would have been much better off stealing much more of WOW, especially around PVE and CRAFTING. (You just can't under-estimate crafting and the economics. WOW has an EXCELLENT economic system, even with the things I dislike about it. I think they got that right.)AOC I had zero expectations, and was actually blown away with many aspects of the game.. I think they are on the right track for future fantasy MMO's, and I at very least respect what they were trying to accomplish.

So now AION is the next big thing on the horizon.. it won't be for everyone, but being the successor to L2 puts it on a footing no other company has currently. (yeah Sony -  you blew it big time)

And like many have stated.. alot of people like the BLIZZARD FRANCHISE itself, and WOW is the latest Blizzard game... D3 is going to pull down subs more than anything else on the horizon.  A couple friends of mine for instance played-out WotlK and since 'moved on' to starcraft.. yes, starcraft... and how old is that game? Anecdotal at best I know.

The people who say WOW is cultural phenomenon are absolutely correct.  It is a good game sure, but it came from the right company, just as the internet was really breaking out of its shell to the mainstream. Why people on these forums conistantly ignore this as a predominate factor, and not the awesome -awesomeness of WOW, is beyond me.

(yes re-read SONY blew it - too busy trying to go after pirating issues, too big of a company  to uniquely understand gaming.)

I for one prefer a more hardcore edge to a game, and love the community of dungeon crawls the best. So the game that will next capture me will take the best of these things, and quit trying to be some wanna be casual game. There is room for all types. This is the aspect of WOW that hit me the hardest.. they used to have some of the best dungeon mechanics, which they have since traded in for casual AOE gear check grinds. I don't understand it at all, and those who defend it will continue to be hunted by my army of trolls!

I like this post, I am going to quote it for my own viewing pleasure.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • APRAuroreAPRAurore Member Posts: 330

Hey Templarga - Thanks for your even-handed reply. If you read Zorndorf's earlier response, you can see where my trolling is aimed at. Zorndorf keeps repeating his mantra that the arena PvP is the best and believes that people who don't indulge in it are all too scared. However, what he fails to understand is that there are a lot of PvPers who don't *like* that style of PvP (me included). Just ignore him... he keeps repeating himself and not really adding to the discussion on hand.

If you want to see people bashing a game, holding on to old grudge's etc.. look no further than AOC forums. I have never seen people hate a company so much.. you would think funcom stole their house and girlfriend, and set fire to their dog... as opposed to 'scamming them' out of $50. Which really shows the maturity level of a lot of posters, cuz $50 is meh. I can blow that in two hours easy at a bar with friends. So it is all relative. It's always a gamble whether a game will be worth its $50. Is it really a maturity issue for players to be unhappy after having spent $50 on a game that doesn't deliver what was advertised? I don't play AoC, never have and never will, mainly because of how FC handled the whole thing. They aren't transparent, therefore an element of scamming can be concluded from that whole debacle.

The thing I don't like is no one ever marketed AOC or WAR as a WOW killer.. that is our own collective dementia, hoping that they will be that, because WOW has grown stale. I went into WAR with higher expectations, and was severely disappointed.. they would have been much better off stealing much more of WOW, especially around PVE and CRAFTING. (You just can't under-estimate crafting and the economics. WOW has an EXCELLENT economic system, even with the things I dislike about it. I think they got that right.)AOC I had zero expectations, and was actually blown away with many aspects of the game.. I think they are on the right track for future fantasy MMO's, and I at very least respect what they were trying to accomplish. The economic system is ok in WoW. The crafting system could have been done so much better and I wish it had more of a place of importance in the game since it takes so much grind and time to level them up (Blacksmithing... ugh!).

The people who say WOW is cultural phenomenon are absolutely correct.  It is a good game sure, but it came from the right company, just as the internet was really breaking out of its shell to the mainstream. Why people on these forums conistantly ignore this as a predominate factor, and not the awesome -awesomeness of WOW, is beyond me. Sure, but I feel more and more lately that Blizzard is starting to ruin the 'worldliness' of it and making it seem blander. It had a lot of character in Classic, but with each expansion a lot of the character has been lost. Gross over simplification as a consequence of  the removal of RPG elements (like getting rid of pet trainers and demon trainers for example) are really ruining the experience for me. It's not just me, quite a few of my mates are feeling the same way in WoW. Will Blizzard's good name be enough to keep so many people playing if the game becomes soul-less (provided these trends continue)?

I for one prefer a more hardcore edge to a game, and love the community of dungeon crawls the best. So the game that will next capture me will take the best of these things, and quit trying to be some wanna be casual game. There is room for all types. This is the aspect of WOW that hit me the hardest.. they used to have some of the best dungeon mechanics, which they have since traded in for casual AOE gear check grinds. I don't understand it at all, and those who defend it will continue to be hunted by my army of trolls! Yes, agreed. The game mechanics themselves have been made less flavourful and have been over-simplified: compare BRD in the old days to any of the new TBC or WotLK dungeons. The latter two have made characterless dungeons that are really short and easy to complete. It wouldn't be a problem if there were some short dungeons, but ALL of them are short and are even more theme-parkish than before. At least before, you could opt to take on an aspect of the dungeon and leave the rest of it, or if you wanted to complete the entire dungeon over the space of several hours, that was fine too. At least there was a choice. Now there is no choice and there are no changes in tactics.

My sub is still open until the end of this month, but I've moved onto LotRO. Though it's not a perfect game by any means, it feels more RPGish than WoW has become.

Back in EvE. Started with BatMUD. Main MMOs have been EvE and DAoC.

• FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Originally posted by APRAurore

My sub is still open until the end of this month, but I've moved onto LotRO. Though it's not a perfect game by any means, it feels more RPGish than WoW has become.

Hah! I got you beat on that one. My sub expires on the 6th. Moved to LotRO as well

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Well, I guess I'm a bit "different" that most people who have posted in this thread.  WoW, like some of you, was NOT my first MMORPG.  I originally came from Ultima Online.  I have CAUTIOUS hopes for Darkfall.  I have more hopeful excitement for AION, to be honest.  However....I have always played more than ONE MMO at a time.  

Over the past four years, I have played WoW and always one or two other games along WITH it.  A couple of them I still play, like EQ2 and EVE.  Although, I'm sort of on "hiatus" from EVE waiting for ambulation, and I'm irritated with SoE at the moment for their addition of RMT to the game (not because I hate RMT so much when it's just vanity items, but because they SAID they would not DO that in EQ2). 

I've played the trials of SWG, LotRO, Vanguard, and DAoC.  I played Warhammer (for a month)....it wasn't my cup of tea, due to what I felt was subpar PvE. I've played (at greater length) Perfect World, Guild Wars, and CoH.  I've got a decent beta background with Runes of Magic and The Chronicles of Spellborn.  I found VERY good things in ALL of these games, to be honest.  The problem is....I also found a lot lacking in all of these games.

So "will I move on?"  Probably not.  I have 2 level 80s, 4 other level 70+, and all professions other than blacksmithing at max level or close to it.  That amounts to a LOT of invested time and energy.  But will I play other games.....ABSOLUTELY!  And some day, when the "perfect game" is born....I will probably "move on," although I haven't the VAGUEST idea if the "perfect" game exists or CAN exist.

So for now....I'm waiting for AION, and perhaps Darkfall, maybe The Agency (although SoE has their hands in that, so we'll see) and oh yes....The Old Republic.  Perhaps one of those games will absolutely steal my heart and I too will walk away from all of the time I've invested in WoW.  It will take a very very good game.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

No need for me to move on from Warcraft since i continue to have fun with the game, that's all i care about is having fun. 

I don't feel i owe it to any other MMO's coming out to support them or back them up in some way, i look at them do my research then decide if i wanna try it out or not, i've tried a lot of MMO's and The Saga of Ryzom was my first (love that game hehe)  but otherwise i don't feel like i have to leave WoW just yet.

One day i'll finally decide its not worth playing anymore but no rush for me, i personally am not interested in Aion, the main MMO i'm waiting on is Star Trek and the new Star Wars mmo, i'll check out the DCU MMO and probably the Agency but nothing else has my attention really.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523

Personally I allready moved on to Warhammer Online and am very happy with the game.  Simply fantastic.  WaW has so much content though that I'am sue it will keep most people busy for a long time to come.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Moved on about 3 months ago when I recieved 2100 for my three account's.  Old game is old and no fun anymore.  Waiting on something new and refreshing.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I think people that say "WOW is my first mmo game I ever played" will be the one's that will always go back. You always have the fondest memories of your first mmo and nothing will ever match it, (just look at the SWG people in the early years).

It's not so much the game as it is the friends you meet in it.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• ZsavoozZsavooz Member Posts: 532

moved on from WoW after I hit 80. Just can't play the game anymore. Playing Warhammer now and enjoying it.