Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World Size compared to Kalimdor (WoW)

13»

Comments

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

wow :o

if that is true

than this map is really huge :o

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

• WildbeardWildbeard Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Originally posted by kingtommyboy

wow :o
    if that is true
    than this map is really huge :o

i believe it is correct. Darkfall is huge compared to other worlds. its nice to see this comparison.

Btw Kingtommy , are you Flemish aswell?

• decade85decade85 Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Rasputin

Originally posted by TalRasha

Originally posted by decade85

I believe Agon is MUCH bigger than what is shown in the picture.
    It takes me 3-5 minutes to run through a zone in WoW. Try to run through Elwynn Forest and then across Redridge Mountains (which is across the entire continent). I swear, it will take you AT MOST 10 minutes. You may even be able to do it in 7-8 minutes.
    Agon will take longer to run across percentage-wise, than what is shown in the picture.

PC Gamer calculated the size of Azeroth in their Holiday 2008 issue. It took them 18 minutes and 15 seconds to run accross Elwynn Forest, on foot, in a straight line (which wasn't easy to do according to them), from the entrance to Westfall to the entrance to Redridge mountains (or just a little north actually for the straight line to work). In that ammount of time, the average human walks at about 3.5 mph. After calculating it all out just Kalimdoor, and the Eastern Kingdom came out to 70 square miles.

Until people can start putting together data like that, this conversation isn't worth much. I think everyone on this forum can appreciate 70 square miles. For those who are still having trouble, it's about the size of Washington D.C.

Rofl, that is preposterous! 18 mins on Elwynn! What a load of BS - and obviously you didn't provide a link to back up that ridicilous claim.

Luckily that experiment is incredibly easy to repeat. Too bad I don't have WoW installed.

Btw. you don't need to "run across Elwynn" like from corner to corner. Just run along the road from Westfall until you reach Redridge, and then continue across Redridge as far east you can. The point is to prove how long it will take to cross the continent.

He did backup his claim. He gave the exact source.

He also did say from the entrance of westfall to the entrance of redrige mountains, wich is along the road.

You have trouble reading? Or are your eyes just a bit to wet at the moment?

Umm, no he didn't. When he provides a link, he has given "the exact source".

Why don't we just test it? There must be plenty of WoW players, we just need one to repeat the test.

Cry me a river. It's published in PCGamer. They don't put their articles online because they want you to subscribe to their magazine. I've been a subscriber and collector for over 9 years now. I have nearly every issue since February 2000. I can't give you a link... I don't think I can get much more specific than what I posted.

PCGamer, Holiday 2008, issue number 182, page 76. Extended play article titled "Imaginary world, real science" written by James Wallis. They answered 5 questions:

How big is the landmass?

How big is the planet?

What does Azeroth weigh?

How strong is the gravity?

Is the world round or flat?

Under the question "How big is the landmass?" this is what was written:

Method: A typical human male walks at an average speed of 3.5 miles per hour. If we assume that a 29th level human Warlock is a typical human male and we can find a long, straight line in the game for him to walk, we can use that as a ruler. Unfortunately World of Warcraft isn't big on straight lines and has a nasty habit of breaking them up with cliffs, bears, and bandits. It took your researcher some time and no small number of bear maulings to find it, but there is a straight, flat path from one side of Elwynn Forest to the Other.

Results: It took our test subject (with the help of a pet demon to deal with research interrupting mobs) 18 minutes 15 seconds to walk the path's length (shown in a picture to the right of the article... Entrance to Westfall to entrance of Redridge mountains.... straight line) Which makes Elwynn Forest about 1.1 miles across. Sweet! Hard data, at last. Extrapolate that to the world map and we discover that the Eastern Kingdoms are 8.9 miles by 3.6 miles big, Kalimdor is a bit bigger, and between them, the two occupied continents have an area of approximately 70 square miles. To put that into perspective, that makes the landmass of planet Azeroth about the same size as Washington, D.C. So it's a "world" more in the "Wayne's World" sense.

That's a direct quote from PCGamer. Heaven forbid that information like that isn't available online. If you want a freaking source, then ask your parents to drive you to your local library and look in the periodicles section. My library has tons (of course not all) of periodicles, and newspapers dating back to the 1950's and ealier (although many of them are digitally stored or on film). 

I understand people not wanting to measure the size of an area in terms of feet, or miles, or kilometers, and measure it in time instead. I was just adding to the conversation. I even understand that you can't always believe what you read, especially online. I gave a source. If you don't have the ability to confirm that source, that doesn't mean that the source doesn't exist.

Want even more help? For a reprint contact the reprint management services at 717-399-1900 ext. 100

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

That explains the difference then. They used walk speed.

Wich makes sense for their calculation to give a number in miles.

Anyway, what does it matter?

During my run, I encountered 3 other players standing around in Goldshire. The rest was empty. (and yes, it was on an official server).

Imagine how empty it feels in a world ten times as big.

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Not sure if that constitutes huge by MMO standards really.

It is hard to measure but WoW is tiny compared to most other mmo's, in landmass that is.

You could probably fit all of kalimdor in one of the large playfields in AO, say plains of salt or Avaolon.

I have not played the original eq but it seems that with all its expansions it should be pretty huge.

I have played eq2 though and with all its zones id measure it at 4 times the size of wow.

SWG is/was pretty damn big as well.

Still I will hold AO at the top here.

Travel time without a yalmaha or other flying gear/crazy run speed is obnoxius.

But the point is that most of the areas were pretty damn interesting.

I often found myself flying about just checking out new places, and the world was so big that even a fair deal of time into its life chances were you came across places no other player had even been yet.

Damn i miss that.

Vanguard is pretty damn huge as well, but most of it is barren.

If you leave the populated areas you can run for "miles" without even seing a mob.

EVE of course is an entire galaxy, most of it empty space though.

Although if you took every station, every belt, every stargate, anomaly or in other "interactive" part of it and huddled it together that would be a pretty damn enormous blob, hehe.. ;)

You would have to measure that in kubic kilometers though, not squares.

That said the map in the OP does look interesting to someone who loves exploring.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602

It takes me 3-5 minutes to run through a zone in WoW. Try to run through Elwynn Forest and then across Redridge Mountains (which is across the entire continent). I swear, it will take you AT MOST 10 minutes. You may even be able to do it in 7-8 minutes.
    Agon will take longer to run across percentage-wise, than what is shown in the picture.

PC Gamer calculated the size of Azeroth in their Holiday 2008 issue. It took them 18 minutes and 15 seconds to run accross Elwynn Forest, on foot, in a straight line (which wasn't easy to do according to them), from the entrance to Westfall to the entrance to Redridge mountains (or just a little north actually for the straight line to work). In that ammount of time, the average human walks at about 3.5 mph. After calculating it all out just Kalimdoor, and the Eastern Kingdom came out to 70 square miles.

Until people can start putting together data like that, this conversation isn't worth much. I think everyone on this forum can appreciate 70 square miles. For those who are still having trouble, it's about the size of Washington D.C.

Rofl, that is preposterous! 18 mins on Elwynn! What a load of BS - and obviously you didn't provide a link to back up that ridicilous claim.

Luckily that experiment is incredibly easy to repeat. Too bad I don't have WoW installed.

Btw. you don't need to "run across Elwynn" like from corner to corner. Just run along the road from Westfall until you reach Redridge, and then continue across Redridge as far east you can. The point is to prove how long it will take to cross the continent.

He also did say from the entrance of westfall to the entrance of redrige mountains, wich is along the road.

Why don't we just test it? There must be plenty of WoW players, we just need one to repeat the test.

How could he possibly give a link to a magazine?

I could test it for you, but what good will it do? What number of minutes would I have to post for you to not call that test BS?

The only way you will believe how long it takes if you test it yourself.

I might test it anyway, since this made me curious enough, but I honestly dont expect you to believe the result when I post it. You seem to have made your decision already.

Edit: It takes 7 minutes to run from redrige mountains to westfall, taking the road that crosses trough elwyn forrest.

Seems the magazine was way off (they must have walked, but who walks? everyone runs).

And you were also way off with 3-4 minutes.

Ah well, like I said before, you won't believe it anyway until you test it yourself.

7 minutes was through Elwynn Forest alone?

I originally claimed it would take 5 minutes (but hinted at that it could be a bit faster), so I wasn't off by that much.

If you say that is how long it takes, then I believe you.

I will still claim that WoW is a very small world.

• RasputinRasputin Member UncommonPosts: 602

Cry me a river. It's published in PCGamer. They don't put their articles online because they want you to subscribe to their magazine. I've been a subscriber and collector for over 9 years now. I have nearly every issue since February 2000. I can't give you a link... I don't think I can get much more specific than what I posted.

PCGamer, Holiday 2008, issue number 182, page 76. Extended play article titled "Imaginary world, real science" written by James Wallis. They answered 5 questions:

How big is the landmass?

How big is the planet?

What does Azeroth weigh?

How strong is the gravity?

Is the world round or flat?

Under the question "How big is the landmass?" this is what was written:

Method: A typical human male walks at an average speed of 3.5 miles per hour. If we assume that a 29th level human Warlock is a typical human male and we can find a long, straight line in the game for him to walk, we can use that as a ruler. Unfortunately World of Warcraft isn't big on straight lines and has a nasty habit of breaking them up with cliffs, bears, and bandits. It took your researcher some time and no small number of bear maulings to find it, but there is a straight, flat path from one side of Elwynn Forest to the Other.

Results: It took our test subject (with the help of a pet demon to deal with research interrupting mobs) 18 minutes 15 seconds to walk the path's length (shown in a picture to the right of the article... Entrance to Westfall to entrance of Redridge mountains.... straight line) Which makes Elwynn Forest about 1.1 miles across. Sweet! Hard data, at last. Extrapolate that to the world map and we discover that the Eastern Kingdoms are 8.9 miles by 3.6 miles big, Kalimdor is a bit bigger, and between them, the two occupied continents have an area of approximately 70 square miles. To put that into perspective, that makes the landmass of planet Azeroth about the same size as Washington, D.C. So it's a "world" more in the "Wayne's World" sense.

That's a direct quote from PCGamer. Heaven forbid that information like that isn't available online. If you want a freaking source, then ask your parents to drive you to your local library and look in the periodicles section. My library has tons (of course not all) of periodicles, and newspapers dating back to the 1950's and ealier (although many of them are digitally stored or on film). 

I understand people not wanting to measure the size of an area in terms of feet, or miles, or kilometers, and measure it in time instead. I was just adding to the conversation. I even understand that you can't always believe what you read, especially online. I gave a source. If you don't have the ability to confirm that source, that doesn't mean that the source doesn't exist.

Want even more help? For a reprint contact the reprint management services at 717-399-1900 ext. 100

In your original post, you claimed that the avatar was RUNNING. But the magazine says it was WALKING.

It may be your memory, it may be that you lied, I don't know, but the end result is, that you were wrong.

That is why source is incredibly important. And if you can't link it, at least quote it (and to the exact word, not paraphrased).

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

7 minutes was through Elwynn Forest alone?
    I originally claimed it would take 5 minutes (but hinted at that it could be a bit faster), so I wasn't off by that much.
    If you say that is how long it takes, then I believe you.
    I will still claim that WoW is a very small world.

Yeah, 7 minutes for Elwynn, but that area is a very wide one. So running from east to west takes longer than you probably remember from the game.

WoW is indeed small, wich you notice at once in the new areas if you have a flying mount. But in my opinion thats a good thing.

Especially in a game like Darkfall, I asume one would want to meet some other players now and then. To plant a blade in their backs.

• Adam660Adam660 Member Posts: 10

Lol there is no way to compare...

I HATE THIS GAME

• MendrallMendrall Member Posts: 11

Here is another map that i belive is more correct from what i have herd and experienced.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f217/Waterslaw/Drawing1-Layout1.jpg

• DionyseusDionyseus Member Posts: 48

In World of Warcraft you can actually measure the distance with an addon called TomTom. 

There are currently four continents in World of Warcraft.

Northend, the new continent that was added in the WotLK expansion, measures 14853 yards from the farthest western point of Borean Tundra (7,57) to the farthest eastern point of Howling Fjord (88,79).  That's about 8.4 miles.  The epic flying mounts fly at 280% normal speed, or about 60 mph, so it would take about 9 minutes to fly that distance. 

Outland is the continent that was added in the BC expansion, and it measures 10241 yards from the northernmost point of Netherstorm to the Southernmost point of Shadomoon Valley.  That's about 5.8 miles. 

Kalimdor is one of the two continents that launched with the game.  It measures 16691 yards from the northernmost point of Moonglade (53,19) that I was able to reach to the southernmost point of Silithus (44,96).  That's about 9.4 miles. 

Eastern Kingdoms is the other continent that launched with the game.  It measures 22966 yards from the northernmost point of Eversong Woods (56,13) to the southernmost point of Booty Bay (43,95).  That's about 13 miles. 

If you were to stack these continents next to each other that would span a distance of about 37.2 miles.  The continents are of course much larger, my calculations were simple straight line distances. 

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Honestly, if the world is *that* big where one entire continent of WoW is so small in comparison, then players may well be met with a very huge but very empty world.

Think of WoW... with its millions of players; thousands per server. You can still manage to go for a good distance in some areas without seeing another player.

Also, think back to other MMOs that have talked of huge, massive worlds to explore...

Dark and Light: One complaint I heard time and again is that you would rarely see another player.

Vanguard: Again, huge, massive world to explore where you could go for long stretches of time without seeing another player. I know from first-hand experience this was the case. I'd log in and within maybe 3 hours of playing, I'd see 2 other people.

Asheron's Call 2: Among its other issues, one of the complaints people had was that Dereth consisted of large expanses of land... with nothing really going on.

In FFXI, though it has ~500k players - a healthy population to be sure - you can find only a handful of people at a time in many of the areas.

I'm sure there are other examples.

And when you think about it, even with WoW's "relatively small" world size, there's a lot of gameplay packed into those areas, and it's still large enough to handle thousands of people concurrently logged in.

Point being.. a ginormous game world isn't necessarily a great thing, especially in a game that's expected to have a more niche player base as it is - not to mention one centered so heavily around direct player interaction.

My guess - and this is only a guess - is that players will tend to stay focused on certain areas, with large expanses of land in-between left mostly unused.

I dunno... I think the whole idea of a "massive world with hundreds or thousands of square miles", though it sounds good, isn't all it's cracked up to be... at least not right at launch.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

A huge continent was something very attactive until DnL fiasco. Of course, Darkfall design come from that time. Only one of the many things that are obsolete now.

• MendrallMendrall Member Posts: 11

There is no way for me to know if the picture i postet is correkt,but i know the guy that did it used time to messure.

If i remember he was running 5 min in game in both worlds at a straight line and then overlapt the distance he travel in both worlds. traveling speed is ofc a faktor that cant be measured so the map is only useful to see how far you come in both worlds in 5 min.