Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game group oriented?

I'm currently downloading Perfect World International and I was just wondering if there is much grouping involved in it. I played it about 8 months ago, but I didn't have any time so I ended up only playing for one day. I love games that reward grouping. It seems pretty ridiculous to have to spend 75% of an MMORPG doing things by yourself.

My two favorite MMORPGs were EQ2 and FFXI. The thing that made me love them so much was the fact that the easiest way to level up for the most part was finding a group. I realize that a lot of free MMORPGs don't have much in the way of group play, but I've heard a lot of good things about PW, so I figured I'd ask while I wait for my download to finish.

Currently on a quest to try every free-to-play MMORPG. Okay, maybe not every single one, but most of them.

Comments

• BonemaneBonemane Member UncommonPosts: 353

Yeah it basically centers around grouping since helping lower levels do boss quests gives major xp. Also, a majority of the quests consist of "Kill #" monsters and they go alot faster if you're in a group. Not to mention the mini-bosses and bosses in this game are way overpowered so you have to get a good group to kill them.

Later on when you get to 70+ you're gonna be in groups all the time so you can grind that extra xp to level or grind zen which is used for the cash shop items or buying gold.

• TakaiTTakaiT Member Posts: 24

Cool! Thanks for the reply. I've got about 15 minutes left on the download. I can't wait to try it.

Currently on a quest to try every free-to-play MMORPG. Okay, maybe not every single one, but most of them.

• maxnrosymaxnrosy Member Posts: 608

your 1st 20 to 30 lvls you may end up alone. The main reason is because many guilds will only take in people who  plan to play the game for a long time, so usually the minimal req. to join a guild is about 25 avarage.

once your in a good guild, they dont mind investing time and resorces to help ya. also those lvls usually weed out those who may not be interested in the game.

gaining these lvls is not a problem. its not till your lvl 19 that mobs will be ranged, and casters in the mix.

some clases also become very group dependant later on . while they can still solo its pace is patheticly slow, however by that time grouping is big and those  classes are in very high demand.

clerics and barbarians are 2 of the most asked for in groups  especially bosses.  since you love grouping i would reccomend these 2 as youll be teared to shreds by groups looking for you.

Watching Fanbois drop their soap in a prison full of desperate men.

• TakaiTTakaiT Member Posts: 24

Ah I see. I just made a mage earlier and I've been having fun with it. My friend may start playing this weekend, so perhaps I'll roll one of those two classes when he does.

• BonemaneBonemane Member UncommonPosts: 353

Don't worry about being alone your first 30 levels though. Chances of that are minimal. I didn't join a guild with one of my chars until I was 40 and I was involved in many groups and made a few friends.

• ibspartinibspartin Member Posts: 1

yea i started a couple of days ago and i joined a guild when i was level 6 best choice i ever made

• x10122007x10122007 Member Posts: 60

I think a lot of the quests would go by faster and easier if people grouped but honestly, I don't see much of that happening. Excluding the times I've partied with my brother, I've only played with others a few times. I've asked if anyone wanted to join up but 99.9% of the time, no one answered, everyone seemed more intent upon fighting over the same few monsters rather than fighting together but whatever.

• forythforyth Member Posts: 7

There are things about it that require groups to do. If you played ffxi and liked it like i did, PW does NOT have that type of group dynamic.

PW: if youre solo, you get 100% of mob xp, if you party with just one person, your xp is halved. Adding more party members does not change that good or bad, also, level spread is in effect.  There is ONE exception to this, if you are partied with your spouse in game (yes, toons married) then you dont get your xp nerfed.

Other than that, and that if you want to get any cool items, you either have to farm gold for MONTHS to buy cubi to buy boutique items or you can buy cubi/zen with real money.  The game itself is very pretty, and mostly well done, there are some amateur graphical glitches but youll get used to them i suppose.

All in all, ok for a f2p, but official servers while populated, wont let you see much of the game without investing years into it. (more than ffxi)

• Originally posted by foryth

There are things about it that require groups to do. If you played ffxi and liked it like i did, PW does NOT have that type of group dynamic.
    PW: if youre solo, you get 100% of mob xp, if you party with just one person, your xp is halved. Adding more party members does not change that good or bad, also, level spread is in effect.  There is ONE exception to this, if you are partied with your spouse in game (yes, toons married) then you dont get your xp nerfed.
    Other than that, and that if you want to get any cool items, you either have to farm gold for MONTHS to buy cubi to buy boutique items or you can buy cubi/zen with real money.  The game itself is very pretty, and mostly well done, there are some amateur graphical glitches but youll get used to them i suppose.
    All in all, ok for a f2p, but official servers while populated, wont let you see much of the game without investing years into it. (more than ffxi)

This is so incorrect I had to post a correction.

You do get bonus XP for grouping though not that much 10-40% bonus on the total XP split between the group depending on the size of the group just off the top of my head.

The dungeon quests require grouping if you are going to survive as do the Boss quests.  The real key if you like the social aspect is to join a fun active guild early on.  There are always guilds recruiting at all levels.

At around lvl 70+ you can join Guilds that do weekly Territory Wars to win and hold land. 

You can get to lvl 30 in mere days of play and since at lvl 30 all races and classes can fly indefinitely, you can go anywhere on the map.

Oh, and if you are female, you can get males to carry you.  So if they can already fly you can also get anywhere quite early in the game.